Author Topic: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2012)  (Read 1780 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2012)
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
This will be quite the undertaking, but it is time for a Song of the Day thread on Steven Wilson, featuring songs from his solo career, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, No-Man, Storm Corrosion, etc.  Assuming interest in this thread is enough to keep it going, this could go for a while considering how many songs he has.

As with my past Song of the Day threads, I will feature a song every day (although I am sure I will miss a day here and a day there) that we can discuss.

And like in the past, I ask that you let me feature the songs instead of someone jumping in with their own.  If you are wanting to talk about a song, feel free to PM me and I will likely work it in shortly thereafter.

Away we go...

Radioactive Toy (Porcupine Tree)

It only makes sense to kick this off with a song from the first Porcupine Tree album, and to feature the one that is easily the most popular one.  This song has endured pretty well over the years, and showed that even at the very start, Wilson knew how to write a great song and play some killer guitar.  It very much has that kind of psychedelic, Floyd thing going on, while still having enough originality to sound unique.  A great song from an interesting first album.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:11:46 PM by KevShmev »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (1992)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
The one thing I always think of listening to this album and this song is, I like the music and Wilson certainly became a better singer over time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:23:11 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry, I was looking for The 80's Song Of The Day Thread.. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:57:05 PM »
Nice idea.

I'm very familiar with Wilson's solo releases, not so familiar with Porcupine Tree (or his other works), despite owning a few of them, so I am sure this thread will be gold dust for me.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:29:16 AM »
Radioactive Toy is a great song, I like it very much.

But it is also the most "conventional" and "ordinary" prog song on that first record. Steven is very experimental and out there on some of the songs and it's a little bit like this song is there to please those oldschool prog-heads, that can't get into his other songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 06:29:14 AM »
It probably is one of the more "normal" songs on the debut record, especially when you consider how unusual some of the other songs are.

nobloodyname, feel free to follow along and listen to the songs new as I feature them! :tup :tup

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
Great thread idea! Will follow with interest.

Love Radioactive Toy! Easily the song on the debut that best showcases the direction that PT went in on later albums, albeit in a somewhat primitive form.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
Nice idea, and a great way to start (though I kind of think you should have gone with Jupiter Island, because that's the first 'proper' song on the debut). Radioactive Toy is a great track for sure, but I'm not sure whether it's my favourite from the debut. I thought it was really cool that Steven Wilson played this song on his 2013 solo tour. Nice way of looking back at his own career.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2008)
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 07:41:39 PM »
Harmony Korine (Steven Wilson)

Ah, the first song from the first official solo album by Steven Wilson. I have always liked this song, but it always seems like most people like it more than I do. It has never been a favorite of mine, even from the Insurgentes record, but it was pretty kick ass when I saw Wilson on The Raven... tour.  Wilson obviously likes it a ton, since he has played it on every solo tour he has done this decade. The way it builds up is pretty great, and I like the part near the end where it gets all mellow with that buzzy guitar sound for about 10 seconds, before blasting back into that rocking riff that takes us to the end. :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
His intro to this song was hilarious on the Raven tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 12:28:21 AM »
Harmony Korine is definitely one of the best tracks from his solo career. I understand why he's played it (almost?) every tour. I think the visuals he uses for this particular song are amazing as well. You can probably find them on Youtube, but I guess they won't have the same sort of impact as in a live-situation where they're projected on a huge screen. Love the song and I have no problem with having seen it every time I saw Wilson's solo band :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:11 AM »
Great song. When I first heard it on Insurgentes I thought that this could also be a Porcupine Tree song.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 04:31:03 AM »
Great song. My favorite on his first solo album, but overall not one of my favorites compared to his other solo works. Still, it's a concise song with a memorable chorus and it always makes a awesome addition to the live set.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 05:58:41 AM »
Will follow this!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
Harmony Korine, and Insurgentes as a whole, feels like a natural progression from what he had been doing with Porcupine Tree with Deadwing and FOABP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2004)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
Summer (Blackfield)

The collaboration with Aviv Geffen has been mostly pretty great, and Summer is one of the standout tracks from the first Blackfield record.  Written by Geffen, the music is lovely, with strong emphasis on acoustic guitar, strings and melody, kind of a Blackfield trademark. Love this song.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
Summer is easily my favourite song off the first Blackfield album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
It's good to see that one person likes this song.  :lol :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
I really love Summer too, one of my favs from BF1.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »
I really love Summer too, one of my favs from BF1.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 12:24:00 AM »
Summer is a good song, but when it comes to Blackfield I much much much prefer the second album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2007)
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 05:28:52 AM »
Anesthetize (Porcupine Tree)

I remember reading reviews from fans who saw this song performed live before it was recorded in the studio for Fear of a Blank Plane - I believe it had a working title at the time, but I cannot recall what it was - and fans were pretty much gushing over it like crazy, so I was a) anxious to hear it, and b) curious to see if it lived up to the hype.  It did.  This song kicked my ass from the start. Gavin Harrison's drumming is insane in this song, the middle section, commonly referred to as "The Pills I'm Taking" is one of the greatest sections of music by anybody ever, and the guest spot by Alex Lifeson is pretty freaking sweet.  I often find it difficult to put Steven Wilson's best/favorite songs in any kind of specific order anymore, but I know that Anesthetize is in the conversation for being number 1.  It's just a remarkable achievement.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 05:34:46 AM »
Anesthetize is one of my favourite Steven Wilson songs as well, if not my favourite. It's a prime example of how a drums can really drive a song, and add so much to the whole feeling of the song, even though I usually don't really pay attention to the drums in music that much.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 05:51:03 AM »
Have the Blu Ray and Gavin's performance on this song is freakin' amazing.  At one point Richard is smiling in disbelief at one of his fills.  Awesome song.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 06:33:39 AM »
This is quite possibly my favorite Porcupine Tree song. It's perfect in every single way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2002)
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
Okay, let's pick this back up, in the hopes that the influx of new posters will get a little more chatter going. :biggrin:

Blackest Eyes (Porcupine Tree)

In Absentia was the first PT album I ever heard, making Blackest Eyes the first Steven Wilson song of any kind that these ears heard. I was sucked in right away. That riff was a monster, yet the melodies and those vocal harmonies were just magic.  This song is a great blend of everything that made PT in the Harrison era so great: they could crush you with a riff and melt you with a melody, in the same song.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
pretty sure that was the first PT song I ever heard.  I remember randomly picking up a PT bootleg off DIME after hearing about the band and this being the opening song.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »
I owned Stupid Dream for some time and really liked it, but I never felt the urge to dive deeper into the PT discography. Then someday I heard Blackest Eyes and thought "holy f* this shit is good". That song and the record In Absentia turned me from a casual listener into a serious fan.

And this song is a great example of his heavier side. The riffs are relatively simple but sound so big and heavy. And the verses are a nice contrast. Yeah, I really like this song.  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »
This is probably Steven's heaviest riff up to this point, I think. It's interesting how the riff itself is heavy, but the verses and chorus are just gorgeous. Nice lyrics, too.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 05:48:10 AM »
I have played DT songs forever for my teen daughter and she just never got into them.  I played "Blackest Eyes" for her and she was immediately a SW fan.  Love the song and the lyrics... "Its so erotic when your makeup runs".
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
Probably the first PT song (or SW song for that matter) I heard, though now that I'm writing this, it might've been Trains just as well. Anyway, it's one of the first PT songs I liked a lot and it got me into the album and the band. I have to agree on the lyrics as well, they're really good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2011)
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
Index (Steven Wilson)

For some reason, this song has always struck me as though Wilson has Stanley Kubrick in mind when he wrote it; it sounds like a song that would have been used in one of his movies, like A Clockwork Orange.  That aside, it a really good tune!  I love the dark, creepy vibe, and the way the songs climaxes with those strings is just aural bliss.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
definite highlight form the HCE show I saw last year
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Steven Wilson: Song of the Day (2011)
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
Index (Steven Wilson)

For some reason, this song has always struck me as though Wilson has Stanley Kubrick in mind when he wrote it; it sounds like a song that would have been used in one of his movies, like A Clockwork Orange.  That aside, it a really good tune!  I love the dark, creepy vibe, and the way the songs climaxes with those strings is just aural bliss.

Kev, that's a great description.   I also love the different live versions of this song.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
definite highlight form the HCE show I saw last year
Indeed, that fucking wall of sound :2metal: