Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!  (Read 63776 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Epic Listening!
« Reply #770 on: October 15, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »
So you do invest time with the kids.  My 5 year old nephew would love you!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #771 on: October 15, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
So you do invest time with the kids.  My 5 year old nephew would love you!
Hell yes!
My kids are now 14 & 16. I cannot believe they are not "little" anymore. Where did that go? You know, I really miss it.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #772 on: October 15, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »
I just made it through ALL of the tracks. That's a lot of music. Holy shit.

There is a clear best song and there is a clear worst song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #773 on: October 15, 2017, 08:31:03 PM »
heck yeah clear worst song

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: October 15, 2017, 08:32:44 PM »
So you do invest time with the kids.  My 5 year old nephew Woody Allen would love you!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #775 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:36 PM »
I just made it through ALL of the tracks. That's a lot of music. Holy shit.

There is a clear best song and there is a clear worst song.
Hmmm...  :justjen  ;D

Anyway, Mike Oldfield and Machine head are interesting choices, to be honest I was thinking about both of them at the beginning, to sent it, but I choose sth else, dunno now if it was a good choice but time will tell ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:25:33 PM by The Silent Cody »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #776 on: October 17, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
Ok, after two listens, I must say you guys really delivered. Some fantastic stuff here. And the clear best song has some company. Now I have 2 best songs.

But the clear worst song sits alone in the corner.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #777 on: October 17, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »
Telegraph Road is such an amazing song!

indeed
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #778 on: October 20, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
Just finished the write-ups and scoring...and yes! We have a winner!!!!

Let me just say this first.

I wanted to thank all of you guys for participating. It was great to meet all of you. I really enjoyed the spirit of the roulette. The submissions? Well, they were interesting, but there a number of pleasant surprises. I have a few bands here that I will definitely follow up on. Especially in the latest round.

Results shortly.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #779 on: October 20, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »
congrats, train

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #780 on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
 Hyyype
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #781 on: October 20, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »
Final Results!!!

Parama....Thy Catafalque-Oldodo Formak a Halal Titokzatos

WTF is the name of this? This was pretty cool. I'm not sure what to do with it, but hely hell, the drummer gets a work out. There seems to be an edit around 4:00, because there's no way he does this whole song in one take. It does chill out 2/3rds of the way through. The vocals weren't that big of an issue. The whole thing seemed a little wierd. Wierd but cool. Definitely some Sabbath influence.

Shadow Ninja 2.0....While Heaven Wept-The Furthest Shore

On first listen, this was clearly my favorite song. I thin at least one other caught up, but this was an epic right up the TAC alley.
I feel like of every band I received in this roulette, this will be the first band I check out. Not sure if this was their only album. But I really loved all of the passages. The vocals were excellent and versatile.

Tyrias...Nightwish-The Poet And The Pendulum

For starters, I had to find the studio version on Spotify. The live verson sounded really terrible, as did the vocals. Anyway, the studio version was much better. Unfortunately, it really couldn't save the song. I'm not really a Symphonic Metal guy, and I'm generally not into female vocals. That said, I didn't find the music really good enough for me to look past all that. Sorry, man.

The Silent Cody...Tesseract-Of Mind

So I've seen Terreract mentioned on DTF many times. For some reason I had a little trouble connecting to the first and middle parts of the song. It seemed long for long's sake. But I really felt like the last 5 minutes or so was excellent. It really saved the song. Loved that outro. I would be into looking more at this band. But no way can this be their best song.

LordCost....Celesty-Legacy Of The Hate Part 3

Every round there is a band that comes in, and whether it's the band name or whatever, my curiosity is sowehow piqued. I've never heard of Celesty, but I knew I couldn't wait to hear it. This song does not disappoint. Love the part around 7:00. Sounds very Dream Theaterish. I don't even mind the screamo parts later in the song. It's actually musical, and sets a cool mood. Great song!

Train Of Naught....Machine Head-A Farewell To Arms

For the most part this was a cool tune. It takes a while to get going, but it's fine at the beginning. But then it goes into a style that I am not into. I don't really like my metal mid tempo with rough vocals during these verses. But the clean vocals are cool. The guitar playing is excellent though. But then at 6:00, the song totally changes for the better. Love the change in tempo. Still not in love with those vocals though, but musically it's so much better in the second half.

Home...Elder-The Falling Veil

After a total Pink Floyd-ish opening, this picks up and feels kind of a proggy version of Led Zeppelin. But while this is cool for a few minutes, this feels like one long jam. Not that it's bad, but it never really picks me up.

Sacul...Mike Oldfield-Ommadawn (Part One)

So for the first half of this, I thought I was listening the backing track to Thomas The Tank Engine. Then it picks up, and there's some really nice guitar playing. But then it seems to disappear a bit.This is certainly nice enough, and makes decent background music, but is is not something I'd ever go for.

Tomislav95...Dire Straits-Telegraph Road

Obviously I've heard of Dire Straits, but only the radio hits. I've never really been interested, as I like my music heavier, and I've never really cared for Knoffler's voice. This song really surprised me how much I liked it. There is some great imagery in the lyrics, similar to what Phil Lynott, Gary Moore, and Phil Mogg do. Love the extended solo, and it never feels too long. Great piano sound as well. Very surprisingly great.

It was very close!

LordCost-63.5
Parama-63
Shadow Ninja - 63
Train Of Naught-62
Tomislav95-62
The Silent Cody-61
Home-60
Tyrias-58
Sacul-56

Congrats LordCost.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Acoustic Results!
« Reply #782 on: October 20, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »
I'm ready to lose to Train or LordCost or Shadow (y'all deserve some roulette wins anyways)
i agree

pretty dang close in the end even still, haha  :lol
congrats LC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!
« Reply #783 on: October 20, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
Parama, on a personal note, I really appreciate your participation. You cracked me up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: October 20, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »
Tim giving an 8 for Machine Head, maybe he is growing up.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #785 on: October 20, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
I just now realised how close we all were wow
Glad you liked Telegraph Road, it's one of my all time favorite songs :tup
Congrats, LordCost :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #786 on: October 20, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
Congrats LordCost !! It was a pure pleasure to participate in Your roulette TAC! And about Tesseract, it's not their best song ;) Listen to Concealing Fate, 27 minute epic. I wanted to send You this but it was too long...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #787 on: October 20, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »
Totally not surprised that Nightwish scored poorly.  Could've predicted that given how much he didn't like them in the last roulette.  Chicks and symphony do not equate for TAC
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #788 on: October 20, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
The album that song came from, Vast Oceans Lachrymose, is probably their best, but they have a few others that are quite good as well, namely Fear of Infinity and Suspended at Aphelion.

Also congrats to LordCost!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: October 20, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »
Totally not surprised that Nightwish scored poorly.  Could've predicted that given how much he didn't like them in the last roulette.  Chicks and symphony do not equate for TAC

This is something I'm with Tim on more and more as time goes by.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #790 on: October 20, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »
The album that song came from, Vast Oceans Lachrymose, is probably their best, but they have a few others that are quite good as well, namely Fear of Infinity and Suspended at Aphelion.

Ninja, that you for playing. You sent some great stuff, Giraffes notwithstanding. The WHW track was great. It was easily the best track of the first listen. But the Celesty ended up catching it.

But thank you again.

It was a pure pleasure to participate in Your roulette TAC! 

And it was a pleasure having you. TBH, I almost started you with a handicap. You're the only guy in this roulette that I have posted with. That Sixpounder track makes The TAC Roulette v.2 All Star CD.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: October 20, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »

Well... we each have our own special fails.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #792 on: October 20, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »

Actually Tyrias sent me a live version. The vocals were like a cat getting run over by a car. I pulled up the studio version on Spotify, and it was much better. I think generally with these types of bands is that the vocalist is so talented, it comes off as overkill. They belong in an opera or something.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: October 20, 2017, 06:20:24 PM »

Pretty sure there's only one person in this quote pyramid failing. ;D

Ok, it's you.  Knowing is 1/2 the battle after all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #794 on: October 20, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
I posted that as that was my first thought, but then I was in the process of pulling that back and posting a constructive thought. I wasn't happy with my original post. :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #795 on: October 20, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
Congrats LordCost !! It was a pure pleasure to participate in Your roulette TAC! And about Tesseract, it's not their best song ;) Listen to Concealing Fate, 27 minute epic. I wanted to send You this but it was too long...

Yeah, Concealing Fate is their best, so much more raw and in your face. Definitely give that a spin TAC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #796 on: October 20, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Checking it out now.

Not sure I can go 27 minutes. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: October 20, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
Checking it out now.

Not sure I can go 27 minutes. :lol

It's just to damned easy to even bother.   :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #798 on: October 20, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
Well didn't expect any better  :lol Great job LordCost  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #799 on: October 20, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
Thank you for playing Sacul.

Ask Santa for an alarm clock. ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #800 on: October 20, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
I usually make a playlist with stuff to send before the first round but just forgot to do so this time around, and on Chris' roulette too  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #801 on: October 20, 2017, 09:22:21 PM »

Ninja, that you for playing. You sent some great stuff, Giraffes notwithstanding. The WHW track was great. It was easily the best track of the first listen. But the Celesty ended up catching it.

But thank you again.

Hey, thanks for having me! I had fun.

I recommend you go listen to that SPG song 500 more times until you love it.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #802 on: October 21, 2017, 04:47:59 AM »
After reading the writeup for Nightwish and the 9.0 to Shadow Ninja, I didn't expect to win at all. I usually hope to get at least one of my songs in the best of roulette or to let people know some of my favourite bands (better if they are unknown), but it's good to win at least one time  :hat

Last two Celesty albums are great, even if it's not my genre, and I think I discovered them randomly on youtube almost 10 years ago. The last one is more symphonic, the one before it's power metal. But Legacy of Hate Pt.3 is by far their best song to me.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #803 on: October 21, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
Well, I guess I've already done better in some other roulettes, I think our music tastes are not really a match (read: not at all).

Anyway, I still enjoyed playing, so thanks for having me and I hope you enjoyed at least some of the stuff I sent you :).

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #804 on: October 21, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »
Congrats LordCost! And thanks a lot for running this TAC, it was a fun roulette :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!