Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.2..Steaming Results!  (Read 63870 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Acoustic Listening!
« Reply #700 on: October 12, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
Acoustic just means non-electric.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #701 on: October 12, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »
I didn't read the description of the round cause I'm not a girly man, but does piano count in this one?  If it does there's a couple more. 

Waking Up Blind is another strong one.

I always think of "acoustic" to be 'no rhythm section'.

I always think of acoustic and someone requesting acoustic in their roulettes as a wimp and a poser who needs to leave the hall.

Yet Master Of The Wind exists... https://youtu.be/LVlBdc21LaU

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: October 12, 2017, 10:27:50 PM »
I didn't read the description of the round cause I'm not a girly man, but does piano count in this one?  If it does there's a couple more. 

Waking Up Blind is another strong one.

I always think of "acoustic" to be 'no rhythm section'.

I always think of acoustic and someone requesting acoustic in their roulettes as a wimp and a poser who needs to leave the hall.

Yet Master Of The Wind exists... https://youtu.be/LVlBdc21LaU

Great song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #703 on: October 13, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
I'm home for the rest of the day. I will be doing the write-ups and posting results later this afternoon.

A note on the Wild Cards for this round. I saw a couple of comments. Usually, I can determine which Wild Card submission I'm going to go with with just one listen. But for a couple of these, it was really hard to decide. I had to give each multiple listens before choosing one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #704 on: October 13, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »
OK, so I really enjoyed this round a lot. I expected some different stuff, and you guys did not disappoint.

LordCost...Thrice-Moving Mountains
I liked this song It has a good pace. Liked the acoustic guitar playing and the vocals. A little repetitive, but still very enjoyable.

Tyrias...Anathema-Flying

When I played this song, I quite enjoyed it. But when my CD of this round was done, I could not remember anything about it. Certainly pleasant enough, but I found it just didn't stand out among the rest. Though it doodles a bit too long at the end, the guitars playing is really cool.

Train Of Naught....The Mars Volta-Televators

This was a cool song, and not what I was expecting from TMV. I thought the vocals were really cool. Not sure how else to comment on it, but it just has a cool vibe to it.

The Silent Cody...Evergrey-I'm Sorry

I have one Evergrey CD that I never listen to. Not even sure the title. Mainly I can't stand the guy's voice. But for some reason in an acoustic setting, he sounds great. Great mood set by the piano. I think instrumentally and vocally this totally works. I've never heard the original, and I don't think I want to. This is perfect the way it is.

Tomislav95...Elliot Smith-Between The Bars

Interesting song. It's pretty mellow. Not sure what it's about. Unfortunately, like the Anethema, it just doesn't stand out or have a whole lot of character.

Shadow Ninja 2.0...Cloud Cult-Love And The First Law Of Thermodynamics/Good Friend

While playing my CD, this was the song that I most looked forward to hearing. It's a live version, but it seems to be a great setting for a song like this. This song has a lot of cool elements to it. Now nobody is going to confuse Cloud Cult with Led Zeppelin, but for some reason, I thought of parts of Physical Graffiti while listening. My favorite song of the round.

Sacul...Marketa Irglova-Time Immemorial

So this has a great vocal, and is a nice enough song, but I'm not sure when I would ever listen to this. This totally isn't my thing. I feel like I'm at the dentist's office.

home...Sufjan Stevens-John Wayne Gacy Jr.

So this song really left me conflicted. First off, it's an amazing and moving song. The performance is fantastic, as is the vocals and vocals phrasing. Everything about it is perfect....except for...the lyrics. I don't know if it's because I'm older, or a parent, but I frankly found this song tough to listen through. Which is too bad because everything about this song is amazing.

Parama...Thrice-Child Of Dust

So this song probably gave me the biggest earworm of the round. Probably due to the cadence style vocals. I had higher hopes for this song though. I never really connected to it like I thought I would. It just seems cold, and really didn't dig the lyrics. That said, how it ends is chilling, especially with the diminished vocals. That freaked me out. Totally effective.

Parama-55
Train Of Naught-55
LordCost-54.5
Shadow Ninja - 54
Tomislav95-53
The Silent Cody-53
Home-52.5
Tyrias-51
Sacul-49
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:52:29 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette V.2..Acoustic Results!
« Reply #705 on: October 13, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »
Send epics! No Wild Cards please. This round will be long enough!

It's still anyone's game to win. Bring it.

Hoping to get all tracks by Sunday afternoon at the latest.

Earth to Sacul: Time to send the EPIC!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #706 on: October 13, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
Playlist built.  Will report back later.

Tom Englund's voice is awesome.  You're daft.  If you like him "acoustically", try the other tracks me and Kade mentioned.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #707 on: October 13, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
Yeah that Sufjan song is amazing but certainly tough to listen to because it's about a serial killer and child abuser. Yet Sufjan points out that, given similar conditions, we could all end up like him.

I have no clue on what to send. What's the length limit?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #708 on: October 13, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
Playlist built.  Will report back later.

Tom Englund's voice is awesome.  You're daft.  If you like him "acoustically", try the other tracks me and Kade mentioned.

I will. But seriously, I cannot get into Evergrey. But Acoustic Evergrey sounds interesting.

I'm sure you noticed the Zeppelin comment. This track made me think of Boogie For Stu.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: October 13, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
What's the length limit?

The length for submitting?   :lol ASAP!!

There's no length limit. I feel like I'm going to zone out with anything over 15 minutes. But there's no hard cap.

I am not accepting Green Carnation. ;D

Offline LordCost

« Reply #710 on: October 13, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
No wild cards? Luckily I used it the last round.

I prefer the Amplifier song (my wildcard) to be honest, but 7.5 in this round is great. I wanted to send also Electricity by Anathema, and Televators is a great song too but it didn't came to my mind. I had really few songs to choose from because many of them were not 100% acoustic..

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #711 on: October 13, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »

I prefer the Amplifier song (my wildcard) to be honest, 

It was a tough call between the two songs. Like I said, I can usually eliminate a song after one listen. I went through both tracks three times. I felt the Thrice had a hook, better vocals, and (not that it should really matter) but a better track length.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #712 on: October 13, 2017, 11:28:05 AM »
Child of Dust is way better than that tbh  :corn
Can't disagree with the Sufjan song though

I sent my just-over-15-minute epic a while back and I'm ready to lose to Train or LordCost or Shadow (y'all deserve some roulette wins anyways) but hey I still have a good shot at this unless TAC hates this one, which he might  :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #713 on: October 13, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
Child of Dust is way better than that tbh  :corn

So maybe in the course of the album it's a bit more meaningful. That's why I was asking you about it. I kept trying to find some connection to it. But as a stand alone track, I just couldn't. But like I said, that ending with the diminished vocals was quite haunting.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #714 on: October 13, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
Ohhh very nice :) 8,5 is a very very good score, I have to dig something special fof the epic round, try to send it in 12 hours from now.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #715 on: October 13, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
Hey, glad you enjoyed it! Here's the full show if you're interested in watching; it's pretty fantastic all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loTe2ep0OQ4

They're an amazing band, but I feel like their album sound/mixing/mastering/whatever doesn't do them justice. Mostly-acoustic live is the best setting for them, I think.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #716 on: October 13, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »
Hey, glad you enjoyed it! Here's the full show if you're interested in watching; it's pretty fantastic all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loTe2ep0OQ4

They're an amazing band, but I feel like their album sound/mixing/mastering/whatever doesn't do them justice. Mostly-acoustic live is the best setting for them, I think.

Cool. I'll watch it. I had already deleted the PM's. Even though I ask for youtube links, I just mp3 them to my computer. I am not watching the video.

Who's the dude painting? Will there be a paint solo? :lol

It looks like they're performing for the Duggers.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #717 on: October 13, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
There are actually two artists who are a part of the band and performance, even though at this show only one of them was present. They usually paint throughout the show, and the final drawings are auctioned off afterwards. It's a pretty cool and unique aspect of their shows, I think.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #718 on: October 13, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
I can live with that score. The guitar playing is the main reason I sent this, the first time I listened to this song and that tremolo guitar kicks in during the solo was probably one of the most intense musical moments in my life.

Also, already sent for the next round. Surprised this band isn't on your banned list. And even if you don't like it in the end, I'm pretty sure you'll agree it's a perfect fit for a round that has an "epic" theme.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #719 on: October 13, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »
There are actually two artists who are a part of the band and performance, even though at this show only one of them was present. They usually paint throughout the show, and the final drawings are auctioned off afterwards. It's a pretty cool and unique aspect of their shows, I think.

I just watched the first 5 or 6 songs. Then I jumped to Love.../Good Friend. I must say I'm glad you sent the song you sent. It might be my favorite of the roulette so far.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #720 on: October 13, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »
Also, that Cloud Cult song is a very worthy 9. I'm surprised TAC liked it that much, though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #721 on: October 13, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »
So am I, to be honest. :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #722 on: October 13, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »
Just sent an epic!
I even sent two but then I realize that the first one was 27 minutes long so I had to change it with some shorter one ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #723 on: October 13, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »
Send the 27 minute one anyways no fear

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #724 on: October 13, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
Send the 27 minute one anyways no fear
TAC's got two of them anyway because I sent that shorter one in another message :p but, both are brilliant :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #725 on: October 13, 2017, 05:01:15 PM »
Well you can't do wildcards this round  :lol
What was the 27 min one now I'm curious

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: October 13, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »
:P Yeah I know about that, but anyway - it's the same band ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #727 on: October 13, 2017, 05:18:35 PM »

That didn't stop two people from sending two songs each! :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #728 on: October 13, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
I was half tempted to send venenum but that would have gotten me a 5/10 at best

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #729 on: October 13, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
I was half tempted to send venenum but that would have gotten me a 5/10 at best

Yup, sending two 5's does not mean you'll get a 10! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #730 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »
So home and Tomislav95 have to resubmit. They each sent me different songs from the same album. But unfortunately, I already have it.

And still waiting on Sacul...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #731 on: October 14, 2017, 09:25:03 PM »
lol, which album?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #732 on: October 14, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
The Czar and The Last Baron from Mastodon's Crack The Skye.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #733 on: October 14, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
hah. those are alright. i'm not a huge mastodon fan myself tbh but crack the skye is pretty solid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: October 15, 2017, 04:21:52 AM »
Not liking Englund's voice to me is madness but respect your opinion.  I'm Sorry is one of my least fav softer songs from them even though it's still awesome.  Saying that, it's probably one of their most popular softer songs.

Tim, you've probably mentioned either way in the past, I just can't recall, but have you heard the Green Carnation?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.