Author Topic: Images and Words Concert Length  (Read 5943 times)

Offline COB55

Images and Words Concert Length
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:26:48 AM »
Can someone tell me how long the set is on the current 25th Anniversary of Images and Words Tour? Also, has the band played the same setlist at every show?

I'm going to the Dubai show and I'm hoping that they play the full set they've been playing in Europe. I've seen Dream Theater four times but never seen As I Am or The Dark Eternal Night live. I'm really hoping they play these two in Dubai.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Images and Words Concert Length
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »
About 2.5 hours plus intermissions, & yes it's the same set every show (except the first two shows of the tour, which had a few extra songs)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »
I can't wait for DT in Manila, I think they are already getting ready for the Japan leg of the Asian tour!
And she listens openly

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:54:32 AM »
The new leg starts today in Japan, right? Anybody could report any diference in the setlist? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »
Setlist.fm shows the Setlist is the same.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »
It seems they adopted a uniform setlist for this tour because their schedule is so tight there's just no room for rehearsals. They have to perform like 5 venues in Japan alone.

These Dreamtheater guys are a beast they are in their 50s but are so active. I don't think I can handle that kind of schedule I will break.

And she listens openly

Offline devieira73

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
Cool, I've heard a rumour that it would have some modification, but maybe DT changed its mind.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BY5SuFWg8ln/
Guys, do you think they're going to record a DVD?! Another Live at Budokan?! :omg:

Offline devieira73

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
Few cameras, small crew... maybe an official live bootleg?  :metal

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
I hope it's just a little part of the crew!!! Maybe you're right, I don't have to expect a DVD...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »

Yea, 2 cameras isn't enough for a DVD.  But maybe they could be making some promo videos.  Lots of bands have a camera crew to just do that for tours.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 02:32:28 AM »
It seems JP said it was just for TV. It's sad we won't have any DVD for this and TA tour...   :(

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 03:05:57 AM »
That TV bootleg might do the job, though.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 04:11:01 AM »
Let's hope they recorded the full show!!!  :corn

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:17 AM »

Yea, a TV broadcast should be pretty solid, hopefully the whole show

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »

Yea, a TV broadcast should be pretty solid, hopefully the whole show
I hope to find it somewhere, but, as much as I love James, he was not at his best yesterday...
I don't know what could come out from this recording... :-\

Offline Grizz

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 03:13:09 AM »
It seems they adopted a uniform setlist for this tour because their schedule is so tight there's just no room for rehearsals. They have to perform like 5 venues in Japan alone.

These Dreamtheater guys are a beast they are in their 50s but are so active. I don't think I can handle that kind of schedule I will break.
DT's had exclusively uniform setlists since 2014. They have also employed a great deal of digital assistance (metronomes, pre-recorded backing tracks) since then.
Also, there's nothing unusually strenuous about playing 5 shows in Japan. Japan is big. They should have spaced out the shows more in terms of time (LaBrie is not doing well), but there's no other reason for this tour to be harder on them than any recent tour.

Anyways, after MM joined, there was a small amount of setlist variation, but not much. There was a bit less after the 2011 European leg, and then none by 2014. It has nothing to do with the difficulty of their tour.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »

DT's had exclusively uniform setlists since 2014. They have also employed a great deal of digital assistance (metronomes, pre-recorded backing tracks) since then.
Also, there's nothing unusually strenuous about playing 5 shows in Japan. Japan is big. They should have spaced out the shows more in terms of time (LaBrie is not doing well), but there's no other reason for this tour to be harder on them than any recent tour.

Anyways, after MM joined, there was a small amount of setlist variation, but not much. There was a bit less after the 2011 European leg, and then none by 2014. It has nothing to do with the difficulty of their tour.

Oh I see, I guess they just want to stream line it.

About the digital assistance and backing track, I haven't notice that much provided that I haven't seen a lot of DT concerts so I will ask you did those pre recorded backing tracks help the quality of the concert or it kinda made it sound off like sounded more fake or to contrive?
And she listens openly

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 11:49:31 AM »

About the digital assistance and backing track, I haven't notice that much provided that I haven't seen a lot of DT concerts so I will ask you did those pre recorded backing tracks help the quality of the concert or it kinda made it sound off like sounded more fake or to contrive?
It's a matter of taste, mostly. For the most part it makes it sound much more like the album. From time to time it comes across as pretty damn fake, but that's infrequent. Myself, I got to see live shows because I like a live sound and a some spontaneity, so I consider it a big disappointment, but there are plenty of others who really prefer the new format. Like I said, personal preference.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »

It's a matter of taste, mostly. For the most part it makes it sound much more like the album. From time to time it comes across as pretty damn fake, but that's infrequent. Myself, I got to see live shows because I like a live sound and a some spontaneity, so I consider it a big disappointment, but there are plenty of others who really prefer the new format. Like I said, personal preference.

Its fine with me if it sounds like the studio as long as it is not weird or sound to fake like it does not feel like its coming from the stage like its so obvious that the mix is  way off.
And she listens openly

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »

Its fine with me if it sounds like the studio as long as it is not weird or sound to fake like it does not feel like its coming from the stage like its so obvious that the mix is  way off.
There were a couple of times during TA where the canned vocals were up front and JLB was singing backup which were pretty distracting (and unnecessary). You'd hear his voice while he's just standing there waiting for his time to join in. Other than that it never sounded bad or off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson