Author Topic: Netflix's Atypical  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Netflix's Atypical
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
Anyone catch this new show yet? It's a quick first season watch with only 8 episodes. I didn't want to watch it initially, but am happy that I did. It was absolutely hysterical.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Netflix's Atypical
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »
Nope. What's the premise?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »

In a nutshell; An autistic kid, who's towards the better part of the spectrum, wants a girlfriend and ends up getting the hots for his therapist. There's other stuff too, but that's a main element. It's really funny and done in taste. It's in no way disrespectful to people with autism and their families.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »

In a nutshell; An autistic kid, who's towards the better part of the spectrum, wants a girlfriend and ends up getting the hots for his therapist. There's other stuff too, but that's a main element. It's really funny and done in taste. It's in no way disrespectful to people with autism and their families.

I'll have to check it out. My wife and I have been looking for a show to watch together being that we don't share the same tastes it's difficult to find one. But, she's a Special School Teacher and the majority of the kids she teaches have Autism....so that show sounds like something we could watch together.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
Watched the first two episodes with my wife tonight. Really cool show. My wife was crying at parts because of how accurately they depict autism and she was getting sad thinking of some of her former and current students. But all in all she likes the show

Oh and, that red head in the first episode was smoking hot!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Just started this. Usually I need to watch a few episodes of a show to really get into it, but I really got into this from the first episode. Love it. :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
Enjoying this show. We only have a couple episodes left to go (my wife's NETFLIX binge watching stamina is nowhere near my professional level  :lol) and it's been a good watch. Thanks for the heads up on this one Brian as I would have never thought to watch it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
Enjoying this show. We only have a couple episodes left to go (my wife's NETFLIX binge watching stamina is nowhere near my professional level  :lol) and it's been a good watch. Thanks for the heads up on this one Brian as I would have never thought to watch it.

Glad you're liking it. I was hell bent on not watching it originally. I think I said something to Victoria along the lines of "I don't feel like watching something that's just going to be depressing while shoving spectrum narratives down my throat" (douchey, I know), but I gave in eventually.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
It's alright, I might continue it as a boredom killer one day but it's pretty cheesy at times. It's also pretty funny at times and has some good drama going on but somewhere in there is a bit of overplayed and overacted (or underacted with some of the secondary characters) moments that are a bit too annoying to me to overlook.

The whole spectrum shtick is secondary to me. I've taught and taken care of kids from completely reliant on others' care to kids that had Aspergers and unless you knew, you wouldn't know otherwise. It's so varying in how people act. That said, the way society tip toes around the subject as if walking on glass really bugs the fucking hell out of me. So many people think they're being nice when really they're being oversensitive pantywaists. Niceties and empty platitudes that only serve the people around said "person with autism", not the person who is afflicted. That whole aspect of the show...really annoying. Thankfully, it doesn't seem too forced. But it is there nonetheless.

Otherwise, okay comedy and okay drama. Nothing special or noteworthy at all. But again, a good boredom killer one day.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »
I agree it's nothing groundbreaking or addiction inducing to watch....but for me it's just neat because it's actually something my wife and I are watching together. We share near zero tastes or interests in movies or shows so I typically watch most of the things I watch alone so it's been nice to have a viewing partner.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
Wrapped up season 2 last night. I think I liked this season more than the first.

To those who haven't checked this show out, I still recommend it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 01:36:48 PM »
I think I liked this season more than the first.

Yeah, this second season was really good....they expanded on all the characters pretty well. It's a cool show.

To those who haven't checked this show out, I still recommend it.

:iagree:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 10:00:01 PM »
Season 3 is on now. Hasn’t missed a beat.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 07:58:01 AM »

I noticed last night that the new season was released. Really looking forward to this one! I think this show is one of Netflix's lesser-known hidden gems. I love this show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »

I noticed last night that the new season was released. Really looking forward to this one! I think this show is one of Netflix's lesser-known hidden gems. I love this show.

We've only watched the first two episodes thus far but it's still pretty awesome. I agree that it's one of the hidden gems. With my wife being a Special Needs School Teacher she says the behaviors/ticks/thought processes etc etc of the main character and the others on the spectrum are incredibly accurate.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 08:28:26 AM »

We've only watched the first two episodes thus far but it's still pretty awesome. I agree that it's one of the hidden gems. With my wife being a Special Needs School Teacher she says the behaviors/ticks/thought processes etc etc of the main character and the others on the spectrum are incredibly accurate.

It's really cool (I'm assuming this is the case) that the show does its due diligence and takes the time to accurately depict that kind of thing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 05:58:48 AM »
Wrapped up season three over the weekend. Solid as always.

My favorite bit from this season was Sam's essence painting. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 06:40:45 AM »
Wrapped up season three over the weekend. Solid as always.

My favorite bit from this season was Sam's essence painting.

LOVED that part of the season.

This is a solid show. I really dig it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 07:33:38 AM »
Yea, I  watched all three seasons in the past few weeks.

It's suuuuuch a good show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 08:26:38 AM »
Love this show.. It's fun.

It also made me want to reconsider my reactions to people .. you never know...

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 10:52:56 AM »
Just fished all 3 seasons in a couple weeks. What a fantastic show.
I would like to find a show similar to this one to watch. I seem to always pigeon hole myself into watching the same types of shows. This was different than my usual fare.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »
What? I never commented on this? I must have talked about in the general, group thread...

Fantastic show, really worth a watch. With the inevitable and forgiveable dramatic licenses (it's a show after all), I'd say it's very down to earth and realistic. You can't help but empathize with Sam and the supporting characters are nuanced as well. At times you like them and at times you want to smack them, because that's how life goes in the end. Can't wait for the new season!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 08:24:44 PM »
S4 now available. Love the show BUT we’re three episodes in and I can see why this is the final season. It’s been pretty slow. Will obviously finish this out because of how good the show has been but am underwhelmed thus far with the final season.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 05:51:47 AM »
Didn't know this dropped! I stopped reading your post at "BUT", Gary. I'll circle back when I catch up.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 07:53:13 AM »
Didn't know this dropped! I stopped reading your post at "BUT", Gary. I'll circle back when I catch up.

Yeah.....you'll need to form your own opinion on this final season. I have four episodes left to watch and I already have mine.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2021, 08:54:15 PM »

Yeah.....you'll need to form your own opinion on this final season. I have four episodes left to watch and I already have mine.

Finished the final season.

Very interested in what you have to say about it Brian. I’ll wait to discuss until you’re able to speak to it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »
I’m excited to see it. I’m gonna try to watch it all from the start with my girl since I think she’ll like it. Loved seasons 1-3. Hoping to like season 4 when I get to it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2021, 09:38:29 PM »
I’m excited to see it. I’m gonna try to watch it all from the start with my girl since I think she’ll like it. Loved seasons 1-3. Hoping to like season 4 when I get to it.

It’s a great series.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2021, 09:18:29 PM »
Have loved this series throughout and sing its praises to whomever will listen.  Haven't caught Season 4 yet as I'm backed up with a couple of other series.  Can't wait to watch, though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
Have loved this series throughout and sing its praises to whomever will listen.  Haven't caught Season 4 yet as I'm backed up with a couple of other series.  Can't wait to watch, though.

I’m very curious as to your opinion on S4.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 11:18:40 AM »
Any of you finish this final season yet? Wanting to chat it out a bit.....but more curious as to what you thought about it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 11:31:43 AM »
Any of you finish this final season yet? Wanting to chat it out a bit.....but more curious as to what you thought about it.

Not there yet! My GF and I are doing a rewatch (first for her) and we're still on season 3. I'll let you know when I finish it all up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 12:12:15 PM »
I actually started the 4th season last Friday night and stopped about 2 minutes into the first episode... and it's all your fault, Gary!   

I was having a good day and said to myself "It's probable this season is shit. That's not how I want to spend my Friday night"  :lol I'm going to try and get some of it in this weekend though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2021, 01:04:39 PM »
I actually started the 4th season last Friday night and stopped about 2 minutes into the first episode... and it's all your fault, Gary!   

I was having a good day and said to myself "It's probable this season is shit. That's not how I want to spend my Friday night"  :lol I'm going to try and get some of it in this weekend though.

Ahh....sorry Brian. Don't let my comments thus far ruin anything for you....you've invested this much in it.....you gotta finish it out. I have an opinion on the final season but think the series itself was really good.

Offline Adami

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2021, 04:37:22 PM »
I think I have 2-3 episodes left of season 4. Eager to hear your thoughts when I’m done. Unless you have any that don’t involve spoilers for the last 3 episodes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com