Author Topic: US IW&B Venue Cancellations / Venue Changes. Discussion and Info thread.  (Read 22303 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Oh, OK. That makes more sense. No way they're getting in here:

I want to know what the hell kind of booking company they're using that started with this place. It's not like tech riders are written to be vague or generalized.

Also, I'd like to know which one of them wants 3 raw habeneros before every show. Is it some sort of singer thing?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline deadwinged

Managed to grab tickets to the rescheduled Phoenix show today. Center section, Row K, pretty much dead center. I'm really excited to see DT in such a small venue for a change.

I managed to grab the first couple of seats on the center isle of the CR section in row H. Pretty good ones as well.

Did you not see them the last few times they came through town? The place they usually play, the Mesa Theater for Performing arts (or IDEKA) is about the same size. Looks almost identical in the pictures I've seen.

I got the impression that this place is smaller than the Ikeda but I guess they actually are about the same size. I've only missed them once in the Phoenix area since 05, and that was the BCSL tour I believe in 09. So I've seen them at Cricket Pavilion twice, the Dodge Theater a couple times, and the Ikeda a couple as well. The Celebrity would have been amazing (Saw Muse there in 07 and Steven Wilson last year) but it's definitely understandable why that wouldn't work.

Offline Gromit1710

Managed to grab tickets to the rescheduled Phoenix show today. Center section, Row K, pretty much dead center. I'm really excited to see DT in such a small venue for a change.

I managed to grab the first couple of seats on the center isle of the CR section in row H. Pretty good ones as well.

Did you not see them the last few times they came through town? The place they usually play, the Mesa Theater for Performing arts (or IDEKA) is about the same size. Looks almost identical in the pictures I've seen.

I got the impression that this place is smaller than the Ikeda but I guess they actually are about the same size. I've only missed them once in the Phoenix area since 05, and that was the BCSL tour I believe in 09. So I've seen them at Cricket Pavilion twice, the Dodge Theater a couple times, and the Ikeda a couple as well. The Celebrity would have been amazing (Saw Muse there in 07 and Steven Wilson last year) but it's definitely understandable why that wouldn't work.
We've been in the same room quite a few times then XD

Offline deadwinged

Oh for sure! Always a good show too.

Offline Gromit1710

Were you at the show at Ikeda with the solo acoustic guy as the opener and the backdrop hiding DT's gear fell in the middle of his act?

Offline deadwinged

Were you at the show at Ikeda with the solo acoustic guy as the opener and the backdrop hiding DT's gear fell in the middle of his act?

That's a weird way to say Andy McKee... Were you at the one where they played the "warped" Pull Me Under?

Offline Lethean

I was glad to read JP's statement.  A lot of people are still unhappy, and that's understandable.  But at least he made the effort now and hopefully going forward he (or someone in the band) will be a little more proactive going forward.  If memory serves, I think JP has said in interviews that he doesn't read comments on forums, youtube, or social media.   That might be for the best to maintain sanity, but the downside is you miss legitimate concerns like this.   Someone on their team should monitor this sort of thing as it happens.  At least he found out through this forum. :)

I did notice that people on Facebook are still asking if new shows might be added, especially seeing that a show was added on Long Island recently.  I hope they'll chime in to let people know if indeed there are a few more dates in the works or if this is it. 

Going forward, my suggestions would be:
- the holiday/advance teaser is fine, but follow up. "We've decided to do a North American tour, but have not begun the booking process yet; know that we're coming, but it will probably be a few months before we have tour dates."  I actually didn't mind the "coming soon" messages, but do see others points; maybe instead of just the "coming soon," add a little something else as well.  When they expect them to be available, etc.
- after making people wait for so long for the tour dates, don't announce them at midnight and then have the first shows go on sale the next morning.  Why the Rush at that point?  Give people some time to find out about it.  Don't wait until noon to announce that tickets went on sale for certain cities at 10 am that day!  Do it a week before, a few days before, the day before, an hour before, etc.  Get people the presale codes or give them a clear way to sign up to receive the codes in an email.
- ditch the "you won't know what seat you're getting when you buy the ticket" VIP thing.  I normally buy at least one VIP, sometimes more than one, but only if I know what I'm getting. I know I'm not the only one who hasn't bought VIP on this tour as a result
- Just a personal preference here, but I'd love them to ditch the bandsintown connection on their website and just have 2 direct links for each city.  One to the VIP, one to the event on ticketmaster (or who whoever is doing it for that city). 

I love DT, and think they put on an incredible live show.  I hate to see them getting a bad rap for stuff like this.  And I know they shouldn't really have to deal with it personally, and probably don't want to, but sometimes it makes a big difference.

Offline Gromit1710

That's a weird way to say Andy McKee... Were you at the one where they played the "warped" Pull Me Under?
I honestly didn't remember the guys name XD I remember he was amazing though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

I want to know what the hell kind of booking company they're using that started with this place. It's not like tech riders are written to be vague or generalized.

Also, I'd like to know which one of them wants 3 raw habeneros before every show. Is it some sort of singer thing?

I can not possibly the only one who would love to see DT perform in this kind of setting? I saw Metallica for the Black Album tour in a venue like this, and it was soooooo cool.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Vakaren, I agree with your points, especially the unnecessary bandsintown link.

I circumvented the "wait and see" Soundrink presale by purchasing early with Ticketmaster and upgrading to VIP when it became available separately.  Of course, doing this as two transactions resulted in twice the service fees, an expensive choice, but better than finding out that I'm in, say, Row M the day of the concert.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I can not possibly the only one who would love to see DT perform in this kind of setting? I saw Metallica for the Black Album tour in a venue like this, and it was soooooo cool.

I think this would be awesome.  I understand the band might not be so comfortable playing in the round, but holy crap would it be awesome to see.  I say screw the lighting and backdrop, play in this theater!

Offline Gromit1710

I think this would be awesome.  I understand the band might not be so comfortable playing in the round, but holy crap would it be awesome to see.  I say screw the lighting and backdrop, play in this theater!
I agree. Would have been amazing to see them there, sans all the bells and whistles.

Offline goo-goo

I saw DT at the Celebrity Theater back in 2004 or 2005 during their ToT tour. They didn't do the full circle stage. They had part of it covered up, stage never rotated, and the seats behind the stage were also covered. 

Offline volwrath

Well JP said they were going to come to Nashville at some point, so we will see what they come up with,

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Well JP said they were going to come to Nashville at some point, so we will see what they come up with,

Probably have to wait until next tour for new album.  Maybe they will play the Ryman like Mastadon
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
The apology is nice, but it's a shame that this is basically the band being reactive instead of proactive.  The day these problems started, they should have gotten out ahead of it immediately, but now it just comes across a week or later like an apology that they had to be told to do.  And that is a shame, because I have no doubt that the band cares about and values their fans, but this is just a bad look for the band.

I'm guessing they were still trying to get things sorted, and needed to get the dates out. Which was the beginning of the month, at the latest.

The people in charge of handling these things likely didn't expect to have these issues occur. Plus, the venue could be the problem by not giving correct info or some promoter problem.

I in no way blame the band themselves.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

For the issues, of course not. For the lack of communication? Totally. And by band, I include the Manager too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

For the issues, of course not. For the lack of communication? Totally. And by band, I include the Manager too.

Who knows, the band possibly decided to leave the management at the helms to deal with this area. While, they go have a no worries time off, they had no idea what was occurring. Whomever messed up badly, putting the band in a bad light.

- ditch the "you won't know what seat you're getting when you buy the ticket" VIP thing.  I normally buy at least one VIP, sometimes more than one, but only if I know what I'm getting. I know I'm not the only one who hasn't bought VIP on this tour as a result

I don't know if you guys were able to, but I was able to see exactly which seats the VIP's were being selected from.

This is what I remember:

Which isn't bad at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline goo-goo

Kiva Auditorium is amazing. No bad seat anywhere in that place. And the sound should be very good too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Kiva Auditorium is amazing. No bad seat anywhere in that place. And the sound should be very good too.

I've always said that Kiva would be the place DT would likely play if they came here. They did and are.

I enjoy that venue, no bad seat, good size and sound. Saw great acts there.

They were also selling the sides around the yellow border during the ticketmaster pre-sale. My friend ended up getting a spot right by the yellow border. When I checked they were all gone. But that section is what I saw that was sold out and Soundrink said that AA-CC would be VIP seating.

Offline Sycsa

Yeah, imagine how awesome seeing MM from behind would be.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline mike099

Since Nashville was cancelled, I have been thinking about where DT could play in town.  For US crowds, do they normally draw 1,500 -2,000.  May be tricky to find the stage size needed without being too big of a venue.

Offline Lethean

Vakaren, I agree with your points, especially the unnecessary bandsintown link.

I circumvented the "wait and see" Soundrink presale by purchasing early with Ticketmaster and upgrading to VIP when it became available separately.  Of course, doing this as two transactions resulted in twice the service fees, an expensive choice, but better than finding out that I'm in, say, Row M the day of the concert.
That's not a bad idea at all.  For me, the seat location is the primary reason I get VIP, so I'm not sure if I'll go that route this tour, or just spend that money on stubhub or something instead. 

I don't know if you guys were able to, but I was able to see exactly which seats the VIP's were being selected from.

This is what I remember:

Which isn't bad at all.

No that wouldn't be bad, but it depends on the stage set up as well.  I'd like to know if I was getting one on the far left or far right - sometimes the view is partially blocked by things on the stage.  The VIP shows I looked at had a bigger section though - some were anywhere in the first 15.  And while 15th row is not a bad seat (at all), it's not a $250 seat to me. 

Offline volwrath

Since Nashville was cancelled, I have been thinking about where DT could play in town.  For US crowds, do they normally draw 1,500 -2,000.  May be tricky to find the stage size needed without being too big of a venue.
Ryman would be really cool, otherwise if not War Memorial I would say Fontanel

Offline mike099

For those that have not heard, Asheville NC has been added in place of Nashville.

Offline Scottjf8

Stiff and boring, like he is from the front?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :tdwn he's a pretty awesome drummer to watch, I usually have my eyes on him more than anyone else when watching them live.  I'd totally love a behind the stage view.  I had one earlier this year for Bon Jovi and it was a cool experience.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I saw that Asheville just got added. I'm trying to decide if I want to drive two hours from work, watch the show, and drive back.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
:tdwn he's a pretty awesome drummer to watch, I usually have my eyes on him more than anyone else when watching them live.  I'd totally love a behind the stage view.  I had one earlier this year for Bon Jovi and it was a cool experience.
On the topic of drummers and the mention of Bon Jovi, Tico Torres is a lot of fun to watch, so I bet that was a fun show
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
On the topic of drummers and the mention of Bon Jovi, Tico Torres is a lot of fun to watch, so I bet that was a fun show

It was an amazing concert.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvk6tRhv7Gg if you want to check out my view.  Bought that ticket the day of the show too.  I think they had released some extra tickets, maybe they were on hold due to bad views or something, but I LOVED sitting back there.  Maybe I'd rather be up front for a band I really love, but this was a cool cheap ($30) experience.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Damn, just found some second row tickets for $130 but I have to buy two. I don't know anyone who would go with me to see DT aside from my gf but she is out of town for work.

Offline mikeyd23

It was an amazing concert.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvk6tRhv7Gg if you want to check out my view.  Bought that ticket the day of the show too.  I think they had released some extra tickets, maybe they were on hold due to bad views or something, but I LOVED sitting back there.  Maybe I'd rather be up front for a band I really love, but this was a cool cheap ($30) experience.

Oh yeah, that really was a cool view, something different for sure.

Offline Sycsa

He's anything but. I find him to be one of the most entertaining drummers to watch, no matter what he plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbdJL4KTLY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GXRzoJbiI

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Scottjf8

He's anything but. I find him to be one of the most entertaining drummers to watch, no matter what he plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbdJL4KTLY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GXRzoJbiI

I was mostly just busting balls. He's a wonderful drummer and I wouldn't be into DT if I hadn't first watched A Drummers Dream, then got into the audition video. That got me into ANTR and I listened to BC and was hooked.

Offline mikeyd23

Watching that video of No Zone kinda makes me wish he played a smaller kit like that with DT.