Author Topic: US IW&B Venue Cancellations / Venue Changes. Discussion and Info thread.  (Read 22295 times)

Offline Gromit1710

Making this thread for discussion and info. I already posted this info in the main discussion thread on page 28, but it will most likely get buried.

EDIT - AS OF AROUND 9AM PST, DREAMTHEATER.NET HAS REMOVED THE 4 CITIES BELOW ALONG WITH THE NEW VENUE LISTINGS FROM THE TOUR SCHEDULE.

What we do know:

As of last night, Several cities and the people who purchased presale and VIP tickets at them received an email saying the show had been cancelled from SoundRink.

https://i.imgur.com/vYCl8jN.jpg

The known affected cities that I've been able to find by comparing the US venue dates between DT's updated official site and the cached SoundRink sale site indicate that perhaps these shows were just re-booked for as of yet unknown reasons. DT's listings look to be updated and no cities have been "dropped" from the tour.

From what I can tell, the affected cities are:

Phoenix, AZ.

Phoenix's Oct 28th date was originally booked at the Celebrity Theater. As of this morning, DT's website is listing the show now at the Chandler Center in Chandler, AZ.

Buffalo/Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls / Buffalo area date of November 10th has been changed from the Rapids theater to the Rochester auditorium in Rochester, NY.

Nashville, TN

Nashville's date of November 29th at the War Memorial Auditorium has been changed to Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in Mt Caramel, TN.

Irving, TX

The Dec 2nd date at The Pavilion at Irving Music Factory has been moved to The Pavilion in Dallas, Tx. (I'm not sure about this one, they seem to be the same place near as I can tell. Perhaps a local can chime in?)

I've not been able to find any information on how the refund / new ticket purchase thing is going to work yet. As of now, when you click through on DT's site to buy tickets for the new venues, Sound Rink still has the old ones listed.

At the time of this writing, I've not found any official statement from the band as to why the venue changes happened.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:51:59 AM by Gromit1710 »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
If these shows have been cancelled, it seems odd that the reason would be ticket sales.  In most cases the tickets have been on sale a short period of time with some concerts being 3 months out.  I bought mine for Nashville the first day, but I should have not gotten my hopes up so soon.  I do feel like with Opeth selling fairly well for Nashville, that DT would have sold 1,500 thru 2,000.

Even more odd is Mt Caramel is in upper east tn(Kingsport area) and Thomas Wolfe Auditorium is in Asheville, NC.

Damn!!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
I really hope that Toronto isn't cancelled  :'(
I really feel for you guys with the (so far ) effected dates .

Offline Gromit1710

From what I can gather so far, no cities have been cancelled. Just moved to different venues.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I doubt it has anything to do with ticket sales. 

As I mentioned in the other thread:  This entire tour cycle has been a problem from the booking standpoint.  Not sure if it is whoever is responsible internally or if there is some problem in the chain between DT's internal booking at the promoters, but this is an issue that needs addressing, as it only generates bad PR from fans who don't understand what's going on.  The second leg of the Astonishing tour was not booked the way the band wanted, which kind of messed up that entire leg and had an impact on this tour as well.  Now this.  Unfortunate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
The Irving to Dallas switch is meaningless. Irving is a suburb of Dallas. They're probably just trying to make sure people from surrounding areas know where it is.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

Yeah I'd wager it's way too soon to associate these moves with ticket sales, but it definitely is reflective of a larger problem that Bosk touched on.

Offline Gromit1710

The Phoenix move really bums me out. The original venue is an amazing place with a round, rotating stage in the middle. I've seen a few acts there and each time it sounded amazing, looked amazing and the way the place is designed, there's no "bad" seat anywhere, not to mention I'd gotten seats in the first 8 rows. It would have been a really unique show for me out of the 20 years I've been seeing them on every tour.

The new venue is alright. It's smaller, and just a generic modern theater. I'm more irritated that I've got to navigate another as of yet unknown ticket sale process to try and get me and my buddies another clutch of good tickets. 

Offline Gromit1710

Ok,

Now I really don't know what's going on. DT's official site tour listings have changed again, now the 4 cities in question aren't even listed anymore.

I give up.

Offline Scottjf8

Ugh please don't cancel Dallas. Please.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Man, they're really bad at this. If PHX and HOU are canceled, that means Dallas and Austin close the tour with the preceding dates in SC and MD. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the remaining TX dates were no longer viable and got the axe.

That said, I'm not sure those dates are canceled, as opposed to just being reworked. If they're changing venues (which should never happen), then things will look funky for a while as everything gets changed.

And to whoever in the other thread said Dallas isn't selling so well, it's selling exactly as anybody would have expected and on par with their other tours down here. They're playing a stupidly oversized venue for them so it looks worse than it is.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
From DT's facebook

There are still changes being made to some of the tour dates (and that is why some are missing from the website) I've been told that as soon as everything is worked out, an update will be posted. We'll be sure to share any info we get as well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
From DT's facebook

There are still changes being made to some of the tour dates (and that is why some are missing from the website) I've been told that as soon as everything is worked out, an update will be posted. We'll be sure to share any info we get as well.
So I guess they'll be posted soon.
E.F. Benson

Offline Joshgirouard

SOON

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline lwpmedia

FFS.... Is Nashville cancelled or not... I jumped through hoops to get the seats I had...

and the rumored rescheduled venue is in ASHEVILLE 4 hours away...

Offline mike099

FFS.... Is Nashville cancelled or not... I jumped through hoops to get the seats I had...

and the rumored rescheduled venue is in ASHEVILLE 4 hours away...

I here you.  I was so hyped 2 weeks ago and now this.  Hope they still come to Nashville.  Makes sense to stop here after North Carolina on the way to Texas.  If Raleigh is still on for the 28th, then why schedule Asheville for the 29th(if that is what the change will be)?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:18:49 AM by mike099 »

Offline Joshgirouard

Apparently Nashville is back on but ticket prices have tripled

Offline LPMX

I doubt it has anything to do with ticket sales. 

As I mentioned in the other thread:  This entire tour cycle has been a problem from the booking standpoint.  Not sure if it is whoever is responsible internally or if there is some problem in the chain between DT's internal booking at the promoters, but this is an issue that needs addressing, as it only generates bad PR from fans who don't understand what's going on.  The second leg of the Astonishing tour was not booked the way the band wanted, which kind of messed up that entire leg and had an impact on this tour as well.  Now this.  Unfortunate.
I have heard that there was some issues with Evenko for potential shows in Montréal and Québec City and that is why there isn't any show booked there even though past tours sold pretty well from what I've seen. Do you have any more information about that?

Also, does anyone know what's up with the 7 days gap in november?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Thanksgiving break?

Might be resale tickets, don't buy them if the concert isn't confirmed to actually be happening in Nashville.

Offline LPMX

Thanksgiving break?

Possible, just seemed weird to me to have a 7 days break 1 week before the end of the tour. It doesn't seem cost effective to me.

Offline mike099

I just went in on the War Memorial website for Nashville and the 'show is currently down for maintenance'.  In other words we may have to cancel and will let you know or adjust ticket pricing structure.  I would love to know what the back story is on this one.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:23:23 AM by mike099 »

Offline mike099

I guess Nashville is officially cancelled.  My wife called and stated that I received an email that due to unforeseen circumstances the event has been canceled.  I guess Cincinnati is my other option - 4 hours away.  :angry:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
What a mess.

Dream Theater should hire Mike Portnoy to run their PR. :lol :lol

Offline Lethean

From DT's facebook

Where did you see that on their Facebook?  I was looking and haven't really found anything other than the post saying that they moved James LaBrie's chat because tour dates were in flux.

I really think it would go a long way if they could just address this right now, even if everything hasn't been finalized.  Tell as much of the truth as possible without getting into unnecessary details.  If there's a problem with the booking company, say so.  Apologize.  "Dream Theater would like to apologize to our fans for the confusion regarding some of our tour dates.  X, Y, or Z happened which is beyond the band's control, and we are working to resolve the situation as quickly as we can.  We understand and share your frustration, and can only ask for your patience."

Something.  Anything.  Otherwise people are seeing dates come and go, people are assuming shows are being cancelled because of ticket sales, assuming DT doesn't know they're doing, or that they just don't care.  Make an announcement, and then don't go silent.  Keep updating at least a couple times a week.  It would go a long long way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
From DT's facebook

Where did you see that on their Facebook?  I was looking and haven't really found anything other than the post saying that they moved James LaBrie's chat because tour dates were in flux.

I really think it would go a long way if they could just address this right now, even if everything hasn't been finalized.  Tell as much of the truth as possible without getting into unnecessary details.  If there's a problem with the booking company, say so.  Apologize.  "Dream Theater would like to apologize to our fans for the confusion regarding some of our tour dates.  X, Y, or Z happened which is beyond the band's control, and we are working to resolve the situation as quickly as we can.  We understand and share your frustration, and can only ask for your patience."

Something.  Anything.  Otherwise people are seeing dates come and go, people are assuming shows are being cancelled because of ticket sales, assuming DT doesn't know they're doing, or that they just don't care.  Make an announcement, and then don't go silent.  Keep updating at least a couple times a week.  It would go a long long way.

I dont see it anymore but I posted that here as soon as I saw it which came up on my feed.  This is bad.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
From DT's facebook

I dont see it anymore but I posted that here as soon as I saw it which came up on my feed.  This is bad.

That was never on DT official fb page.
It was on the fb page of the American Chapter of DT World.

Regards
F.

Offline mike099

It will be interesting to see if they fill the November 29th date with another city between Raleigh, NC and Austin, Texas. IF they do not fill the date, that will give them 2 days to make the long ride of approx. 21 hours to Austin.  I just cannot see them making that trip for 2 Texas dates.  Maybe the tour will be extended a bit more into December.

Offline Skeever

I'm surprised they're still doing the New Jersey date. They're already coming to Philly and New York City. Last time they tried to do Jersey as well on top of that the show was so poorly attended that they dropped ticket prices to like $10 and it was still half empty.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
It will be interesting to see if they fill the November 29th date with another city between Raleigh, NC and Austin, Texas. IF they do not fill the date, that will give them 2 days to make the long ride of approx. 21 hours to Austin.  I just cannot see them making that trip for 2 Texas dates.  Maybe the tour will be extended a bit more into December.
I really don't know. If the Nashville gig stays in place then they're only down one show on that leg. Without Nashville I reckon they blow Texas off (again).
E.F. Benson

Offline Victimlas

That was never on DT official fb page.
It was on the fb page of the American Chapter of DT World.

Regards
F.

That's correct. We posted that msg on the DT USA FB page. It's the information we received.

For AZ, I just found the ticketmaster on sale date at Chandler Center. Aug 21. No info yet on presale
https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1900530BECDA52DD

Offline wannabepba

I'm surprised they're still doing the New Jersey date.

I just cannot see them making that trip for 2 Texas dates.

Would royally suck if anything happened to these shows. These are the three I have tickets for (+ $800 in airfare to get to them and back since they aren't coming remotely near FL). Last I checked, Delta doesn't have a Dream Theater cancellation clause in their contract of carriage...

Offline Victimlas

New date added:
11/21 The Paramount, Huntington, NY

8/16 10:00am Live Nation, Venue, and Music Geeks Presales
8/18 10:00am General Onsale

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/dream-theater-huntington-new-york-11-21-2017/event/00005301BBC0808D?artistid=744581&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=200

Gold VIP thru Soundrink Available now:
https://soundrink.com/#/event/dream-theater-11-21-huntington-ny

Offline Joshgirouard

Has anyone that has purchased tickets through soundrink received their info on their ticket locations yet ? Some shows are sold out of VIP so they said they will be assigned at that point . Just curious as I have purchased 2 for the Toronto concert but it doesn't seem anywhere near to selling out yet so I'll have to wait until 2 weeks before the show to know where I am sitting . Seems like many people will be waiting 😭

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
If these shows have been cancelled, it seems odd that the reason would be ticket sales.  In most cases the tickets have been on sale a short period of time with some concerts being 3 months out.  I bought mine for Nashville the first day, but I should have not gotten my hopes up so soon.  I do feel like with Opeth selling fairly well for Nashville, that DT would have sold 1,500 thru 2,000.

Even more odd is Mt Caramel is in upper east tn(Kingsport area) and Thomas Wolfe Auditorium is in Asheville, NC.

Damn!!

Damn is right!!  Mt Caramel TN is less than 1.5-hours from me and would have turned an overnight trip to Raleigh NC into a quick run down I-81... no muss no fuss.  I'd say wires are crossed regarding that info since the venue listed for Mt Caramel is in Asheville NC.  Looks like someone rushed to get the info out without fact-checking it first...

And speaking of Asheville... if the Nashville show is moved to Asheville (which doesn't really make sense to me logistically as they'd be going North to just turn back South to the TX dates), perhaps the fans catching the Raleigh show and moving North to go home can stop at Asheville and catch the show again, maybe that's what they're thinking (I'm trying to be positive).

In any case, I hate to hear it for all of you that bought tickets to Nashville if it is now cancelled like many think (or any of the other shows that are being moved)... and I hate to see DT get bad PR out of this foul-up.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar