Author Topic: List of Dream Theater Songs and Their Tunings  (Read 53861 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: List of Dream Theater Songs and Their Tunings
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »
Updated to include Untethered Angel

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 04:02:33 PM »
Forgot how awesome this thread was :tup

Just a small correction, The Test That Stumped Them All is listed as a 7 string song, but I just checked it on LAB, Score and LALP, and it's played with a 6 string in all of them. Unless JP recorded it with a 7 and just used a 6 live because he doesn't have time to change guitars coming from WIMH?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
Forgot how awesome this thread was :tup

Just a small correction, The Test That Stumped Them All is listed as a 7 string song, but I just checked it on LAB, Score and LALP, and it's played with a 6 string in all of them. Unless JP recorded it with a 7 and just used a 6 live because he doesn't have time to change guitars coming from WIMH?

That's exactly it. He only uses the low B string at a couple points during the solo section of TTTSTA(2:56 and 3:33) but the first instance is only on the Rhythm guitar track underneath his Solo, and obviously that's not gonna be played live. The second time is under Jordan's solo but it can be easily be played up an octave, which is exactly what he's always done when playing that song live.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:07:01 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense :tup

I'm curious to know how much alternate tunings he used on the upcoming album, as it's the first time in almost ten years that he's had a C standard song. Using alternate tunings doesn't always mean better musical ideas, but it definitely means he's experimenting with different stuff again, and that's exciting.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense :tup

I'm curious to know how much alternate tunings he used on the upcoming album, as it's the first time in almost ten years that he's had a C standard song. Using alternate tunings doesn't always mean better musical ideas, but it definitely means he's experimenting with different stuff again, and that's exciting.

I'm sure with James' voice aging there's gonna be a lot more tuning down on DOT and future releases. I wouldn't be surprised if on the upcoming tour SFAM is tuned down to Eb like I&W was last year. Not saying that's a bad thing. It's to be expected of a band this late in their career.

I remember there being a lot of talk about him using an 8 String on the new album, was that ever confirmed?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »
I remember there being a lot of talk about him using an 8 String on the new album, was that ever confirmed?

I don't think they've made a Music Man JP 8 string yet, but Jordan has an 8 string guitar and he brought it to the studio while they were writing and recording. Maybe JP borrowed it for a song or two...

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
Is I Walk Beside You really D standard? I don't recall hearing any lower notes in that song or JP playing it that way on Score... maybe I'm wrong though.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2018, 02:19:13 PM »
I tho I walk Beside you was written in B minor
jk
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
Is I Walk Beside You really D standard? I don't recall hearing any lower notes in that song or JP playing it that way on Score... maybe I'm wrong though.

It is in D standard. He played the low open D string only a handful of times. However remember that lower standard tuning is not about the lowest pitch but lower key. There are plenty of song on D standard that would be difficult to play on Standard tuning even if they don’t play that low D note.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2018, 03:04:20 AM »

I don't think they've made a Music Man JP 8 string yet, but Jordan has an 8 string guitar and he brought it to the studio while they were writing and recording. Maybe JP borrowed it for a song or two...
Nope, JP is not allowed to use Jordan's guitar.  Didn't you know the Ernie Ball family could be connected to the mafia, and if JP is caught using another brand it could be lights out!  :xbones  :omg:

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline tekwerk

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2018, 03:58:39 AM »
Amazing!  I know I have most of this written down in a book somewhere, but this list is going to be super helpful!
Thanks for putting it together!
Maddi

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2018, 05:19:24 AM »
 :laugh:

Online Mladen

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
Hi, Maddi!  :hefdaddy  :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
Amazing!  I know I have most of this written down in a book somewhere, but this list is going to be super helpful!
Maddi

:lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
Maddi

You're welcome Maddi! Glad we could help!  ;D

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2018, 11:15:56 PM »

It is in D standard. He played the low open D string only a handful of times. However remember that lower standard tuning is not about the lowest pitch but lower key. There are plenty of song on D standard that would be difficult to play on Standard tuning even if they don’t play that low D note.

I had to check Score to confirm, and... you're right!! Of all the times I've watched Score and never realized what JP was playing, and just assumed this was in standard.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
Updated to include Fall Into the Light

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
Maddi

The god himself :heart

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »
Maddi
Love the username Maddi.  :lol
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »
Updated to include Paralyzed

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »
At the end of the Untethered Angel lesson video, JP says that, during the writing sessions of the new album, he started jamming with his baritone guitar tuned in Bb (the Paralyzed tuning) and that that jam evolved into the only ballad of the album, aka Out of Reach. Link with the timestamp: https://youtu.be/WOY6nwXNteU?t=1176

Offline Ruba

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Here is what I assume the tunings for remaining DOT tracks are:

Barstool Warrior - standard E (EADGBE)
Room 137 - standard 7-string (BEADGBE)
S2N - standard 7-string (BEADGBE)
At Wit's End - standard D (DGCFAD)
Out of Reach - standard Bb (BbEbAbDbGbBb) - thanks gzarruk!
Pale Blue Dot - standard 7-string (BEADGBE)

Offline DT89

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
Here is what I assume the tunings for remaining DOT tracks are:

Barstool Warrior - standard E (EADGBE)
Room 137 - standard 7-string (BEADGBE)
S2N - standard 7-string (BEADGBE)
At Wit's End - standard D (DGCFAD)
Pale Blue Dot - standard 7-string (BEADGBE)
These are correct, except Out of Reach is Bb Eb Ab Db F Bb.  Also, Viper King is 7-string with the low B dropped to A.

I transcribed the whole album: Dream Theater - Distance Over Time: FREE Digital Guitar Tablature Book - YouTube

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
Thanks guys. Updated.

The list is complete for now!  :metal

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2020, 05:01:32 AM »
Thanks guys. Updated.

Just a note from me: Whenever the list will be updated, be aware that John will use an 8-string guitar on DT15 (https://www.instagram.com/p/CIis2p_h9Ay/)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2020, 01:43:32 PM »
Thanks guys. Updated.

Just a note from me: Whenever the list will be updated, be aware that John will use an 8-string guitar on DT15 (https://www.instagram.com/p/CIis2p_h9Ay/)

Not to nit pick, but the fact that, in a single photo, an 8-string guitar is sitting on a stand does NOT mean that JP "will use" it on any songs on DT15.  JM has had his Chapman Stick in the studio on multiple occasions post-FII, but I don't believe he actually used it on any songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Updated.

Not to nit pick, but the fact that, in a single photo, an 8-string guitar is sitting on a stand does NOT mean that JP "will use" it on any songs on DT15.  JM has had his Chapman Stick in the studio on multiple occasions post-FII, but I don't believe he actually used it on any songs.
True. (although he already mentioned he likes to include it in DT15 at the beginning of this year and that it was in the process of being built)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2020, 12:59:24 PM »
I'm not sure if this was mentioned on the commentary, but couldn't he have gotten a set of strings for a 5-string, and just put the lowest 4 on his 4-string bass?
Possibly. But I would think using such a heavy string gauge on a 4 string would screw up the neck. I think it's more likely he just tuned down or used a 5/6 string bass

People put custom sets on 4, 5, 6 and 7 string bass guitars all the time.  When you string up a 4 string with the BEAD from a 5 string you'll want to add a few pounds of counter-tension with a truss rod adjustment otherwise you run the risk of bowing the shit out of the neck, especially bass guitars that don't have fretboard wood like Rosewood or Ebony.

Once, when I was a kid, I took an acoustic guitar apart and modified the nut and the bridge so I can string it up with bass guitar strings.  It worked great for about a week and then I started noticing the strings were getting harder and harder to hold down.  Then one day as I was trying to play the bass line to "Money" by Pink Floyd the neck snapped off the body of guitar right in my left hand  :rollin The only thing holding the two parts together were the strings  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2021, 10:39:28 PM »
It's time to start updating this thread again :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2021, 07:32:04 AM »
Don't ask me how I know but :

Awaken the Master : Z#

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2021, 07:33:13 AM »

:o Surely on a baritone guitar ? Not a regular 6 string tuned all the way down to Bb ?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »

Updated to include the new album, and the Christmas single  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 05:41:19 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2021, 05:52:36 AM »
I'm in the process of adding the Bass tunings to the list. I know JM uses a Chapman Stick on New Millennium, does anyone know what tuning that is?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2021, 07:43:22 AM »
I'm in the process of adding the Bass tunings to the list. I know JM uses a Chapman Stick on New Millennium, does anyone know what tuning that is?

No idea about the tuning, and there's a few different versions (8, 10 and 12 strings),  but iirc, he also used it for Take Away My Pain.

Also, Take The Time has a low C# on the bass, so it wasn't played on a standard tuning 4 string.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2021, 07:58:01 AM »

No idea about the tuning, and there's a few different versions (8, 10 and 12 strings),  but iirc, he also used it for Take Away My Pain.

Also, Take The Time has a low C# on the bass, so it wasn't played on a standard tuning 4 string.

I made a note about that under I&W, but I'll change the tuning to a 5 or 6-string.

Finished adding the Bass tunings. Sorry it took me 4 years to finally do it.  :lol

Some of them were guesses on my part, so please correct me if something is wrong.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:17:06 AM by Metropolaris »