Author Topic: Concert History  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Concert History
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
So I've begun to memorialize my concert history... and what an eye-opener.  First, I'm amazed by the number of bands I've seen and didn't realize I saw them (I saw Radiohead as an opening act; I've seen Rusted Root four times despite not being able to name one song let alone sing it). 

I'm also amazed both at how GOOD my memory is, and how BAD my memory is.  GOOD: I can remember, if not entire setlists, then at least chunks of shows that stand out.  I have remembered shows that aren't on any official registry (Billy Joel; he added a second night in New Haven back in the late '80's, and I was there, though it still doesn't register on the Setlist website or on the official Billy Joel tour lists).   BAD:  I have gotten some details WOEFULLY wrong.  I do not like Tom Petty, but I remember seeing him at the Hartford Civic Center (I worked there as a security guard), but sumbitch if I didn't have a ticket for him at the New Haven Coliseum too.  Must've been a chick, and must not've been memorable!   I have had in my head for YEARS that I saw the Firm on their first tour and that they only played the first album and a cover or two; the ticket I have was later in the run of shows, and they played about half of the SECOND album as well. Don't remember much of that at all!   I remember distinctly seeing Page and Plant in the Nassau Coliseum - "The Song Remains The Same" is my favorite moment ever in a concert - which would be the only time I've ever seen a show there, but I come to find it was in the Brendan Byrne Arena (a place I've seen countless shows, and alas I have NEVER seen a show at Nassau). 

With that, I post this because I'm having some trouble with a couple of shows:
- I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd/.38 Special/Peter Frampton in Georgia, right after I moved to GA (I remember, because I had a Red Ford T-Bird with CT plates and I parked right next to a guy that had a dualie, and a huge Confederate flag on a pole erected in the bed of the truck).  Can't find record of it anywhere.   
- I saw Squeeze, UB40 and Katrina and the Waves at UConn (don't remember if it was the same show or not) but there is apparently no record of that show (or those shows) ever happening. 
- I saw Ace Frehley at Tuxedo Junction in Danbury, CT, but I can't determine what year, so I have the choice of five different shows (he used to live about a half hour from there, and so played there often even when he wasn't actively touring.  My brother bounced there while in college, and drank with him one night; he and one of Ace's "entourage" had to pull him out from under a table and take him home.  My brother now likes to tell people he "drank Ace Frehley under the table".)
- There was a tour with Elton John - I think it was "The One" tour - with Eric Clapton opening.  I also saw EC in Georgia in an arena.  Finding it hard to determine those shows as well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Concert History
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
I tried to do this a couple of years ago and it's a real bitch. I had a friend send me his spreadsheet, which helped a great deal, but there was probably 20% or so I couldn't figure out. Had similar surprises, as well. I saw Sepultura on the Chaos AD tour. That one surprised me. I'd also seen Megadeth far more times than I ever imagined, do in large part to them being a regular opener back in the day. I saw Gary Moore back when he was a metal guy, but he opened for a couple of other bands and I wasn't familiar with him enugh to pay much attention. That one still bugs me to this day. He almost certainly played "End of the World," and I don't remember it.

The last one might be of interest to you, as Gary Moore was opening up for Ace Frehly and Y&T in 1987. I'm pretty sure that tour got up your way, as Tim and I have compared many notes on such things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LPMX

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
Have you tried checking setlist.fm? It can be very convenient to track shows and setlists you have seen. It's obvisouly not complete for older shows but some bands, like DT, have all (or almost all) of their shows and setlists there.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
I kept mine written up until 2013 or so and then I stopped, damn. I could still try and update the list, since I always take pics at gigs and keep the tickets so I could try and recreate it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
Fortunately, I have my ticket stubs from all but about 5-6 shows.  So, building a timeline wasn't been too hard.  I actually have it as a link on my bootleg trading website for easy reference.  Not that anyone cares, but here's a link - https://www.blackenedtrading.net/uploads/ConcertsAttended2.htm .  I just need to add Metallica - Philly 2017 to the list.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
...Gary Moore was opening up for Ace Frehly and Y&T in 1987.

I remember that tour.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »
I used to keep all my tickets in a binder.  We lost power in 2008 and at the time I had no generator like I do now and the whole basement flooded in 10 inches of water and we lost a lot and that included the ticket stubs.

I think I'm in the ball park of 200 concerts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
I saw Gary Moore in 1983 opening for Def Lep/ Krokus. My first concert. Pretty sure he played EOTW He also toured parts of the country in 1984, opening for Rush among others.

In August of 1987, he played the Paradise in Boston, which was an FM broadcast, and at the Living Room in Providence. I saw that show. Hurricane opened.

Don't have the exact dates as I'm not home until tomorrow.

A month later I saw Y&T, Frehley's Comet, and White Lion at the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium in Providence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 12:12:13 PM »
I also have a ticket stub binder.  I found one on amazon and I used to always keep my stubs and was finally able to organize them by date.  However, I'm not as old as some here so my memory hasn't yet gotten to the point where I've forgotten concerts.  Some stand out in my memory better than others and some concerts for sure though.

Now though, my youtube page has sort of become my video memories of concerts and experiences.  I really enjoy being able to watch clips of my past concerts attended.  I also have so much more footage than what i've put on youtube from concerts long before youtube was a thing for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
In response to the OP, good luck Stadler trying to remember the Ace show. He came around quite a bit back in the day, when I get home I can send a list of dates I saw him. If you can remember the band/ parts of the set list, especially which KISS tracks he played, that would also be a clue. I have a shit ton of f'n awesome Ace pictures.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »
Have you tried checking setlist.fm? It can be very convenient to track shows and setlists you have seen. It's obvisouly not complete for older shows but some bands, like DT, have all (or almost all) of their shows and setlists there.

That's actually where I'm archiving it.  I have an account and a list of all the shows I've seen (that I've input so far).  I also have an excel spreadsheet). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
Fortunately, I have my ticket stubs from all but about 5-6 shows.  So, building a timeline wasn't been too hard.  I actually have it as a link on my bootleg trading website for easy reference.  Not that anyone cares, but here's a link - https://www.blackenedtrading.net/uploads/ConcertsAttended2.htm .  I just need to add Metallica - Philly 2017 to the list.

As do I, but I find it interesting the tickets I'm missing... it's kind of random. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
In response to the OP, good luck Stadler trying to remember the Ace show. He came around quite a bit back in the day, when I get home I can send a list of dates I saw him. If you can remember the band/ parts of the set list, especially which KISS tracks he played, that would also be a clue. I have a shit ton of f'n awesome Ace pictures.

All I can remember is I think Richie Scarlett was in the band, and he played "Deuce", which I thought odd since it was a Gene song, and he was HAMMERED.  WASTED.  Still good, but out of his tits.  I seem to think it was around the same time - 6 months plus or minus - that I saw Fish there on the Sunsets on Empire tour. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
...and he was HAMMERED.  WASTED. 

Well, okay, that could STILL be virtually ANY Ace show on ANY Ace tour.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »
All I can remember is I think Richie Scarlett was in the band, and he played "Deuce", which I thought odd since it was a Gene song, and he was HAMMERED.  WASTED.  Still good, but out of his tits.  I seem to think it was around the same time - 6 months plus or minus - that I saw Fish there on the Sunsets on Empire tour.
Could've been Tuxedo Junction, 7/29/1993, Just For Fun Tour:
 - Deuce was the final encore
 - Richie was still in the band as they did 2 Young 2 Die
 - Ace hadn't gone sober yet.  So, he was probably hammered at this show.

Fish, Tuxedo Junction, 7/24/1997.  Closest Ace dates - 11/09/1995, 3/10/1994, 7/29/1993

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
I have a Concert Catalog file I update regularly. I think I have sufficiently remembered all the concerts I've seen at this point. I'm up to 128 since 1997.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »

...and most Kiss shows; I saw him at MSG on the first leg of the first reunion (when he and Peter were supposed to be "sober"), and he wasn't. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
F*** my old boots.  I just input the U2 show I saw in Georgia; it was soon after 9/11 (November) and... Garbage opened.   I don't remember a second of Garbage, I don't even remember them being an option to see live.    I LOVE them and have a mad crush to this day on Shirley Manson (there's just something about her I find REALLY sexy).   

Then again, I was married then, and went with the ex; she wasn't a big "opening act" person.  Not by a long shot.  So that prolly explains it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
I saw Ace at Narcissus a club in Boston next to Fenway Park and he was an hour late.  It was like they had to prop him up but damn if it wasn't an awesome show.  I think it was in 1992.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
I saw Ace at Narcissus a club in Boston next to Fenway Park and he was an hour late.  It was like they had to prop him up but damn if it wasn't an awesome show.  I think it was in 1992.

I was there. Have great pics. I'll have to scan my Ace pics.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »
I keep my ticket stubs for both concerts and sports events in scrap book binders, I had an older brother that kept all his stubs when I was younger and had even went to my first concert, so that taught me to save mine for display once I was old enough to start going to shows, I'm just over 300 concerts now and I have every stub except for a few that either got lost, ruined or was a bar show that just charged a door fee with no stub, for those I wrote the band/bands, date and venue on a small cutout piece of paper and added them into the books. One regret I do have, I most of time was conscientious to write down the opening acts, but there were some shows where I did not because they weren't bands that appealed to me at the time, so I am missing some opening act info. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 04:15:11 PM »

I was there. Have great pics. I'll have to scan my Ace pics.

I forgot about you being there Tim.  I was on the back wall next to the bar.  It was a great setlist.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
I never kept any kind of record and my memory is shit. Back in the mid to late 80s I was at a gig once a week or so and I've pretty much seen everyone I wanted to, except for Queen with Freddie, and that ain't happening.  Oh, and I want to see Vinnie Moore play but shit keeps getting in the way 😀
Gary Moore was an early gig for me, back when he was playing metal.
First gig was UFO at the local university. Everyone used to play there until they brought in fire regulations and the attendance was restricted and it wasn't financially viable.

Least "me" gigs I've been to? Beverley Knight, and Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - girlfriends with shit musical taste!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
Read it and weep, peeps. :)

*all shows in St Louis unless otherwise indicated

04/10/90 - Michael Penn

02/09/91 - "1964" as The Beatles

06/29/91 - Styx

11/07/91 - Rush

06/12/92 - Rush

08/15/92 - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

07/28/93 - Van Halen

10/09/93 - April Wine, Loverboy and Nazareth

04/04/94 - Rush

06/04/94 - The Moody Blues

06/20/94 - Pink Floyd (Kansas City)

06/29/94 - Yes

11/10/94 - Dream Theater

04/30/95 - Queensryche

05/20/95 - Boston

07/22/95 - Van Halen

07/27/96 - Styx and Kansas

07/13/96 – Jethro Tull and Emerson, Lake & Palmer

10/31/96 - Rush

03/15/97 - The Wallflowers

06/08/97 - Rush

06/13/97 - Styx

08/01/97 - Sammy Hagar

09/21/97 - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

07/19/98 - Van Halen

07/28/98 - Metallica

10/08/98 - Blue Oyster Cult

02/12/99 - Walter Trout

05/01/99 - Rik Emmett

07/16/99 - Walter Trout

12/10/99 - Billy Joel

02/14/00 - Dream Theater

03/03/00 - Dream Theater
 (Orlando)
07/27/00 - Blue Oyster Cult

09/18/00 - Dave Matthews Band

09/19/00 - Dave Matthews Band

10/29/00 - Dennis DeYoung

05/24/01 - Walter Trout

03/16/02 - Dream Theater (Chicago)

08/02/02 - Rush

08/17/02 - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

08/26/02 - Dave Matthews Band

08/27/02 - Dave Matthews Band

08/16/03 - Blue Oyster Cult

12/26/03 - "Wish You Were Here" - a tribute to Pink Floyd

03/17/04 - Dream Theater

06/12/04 - Rush

06/17/04 - Dave Matthews Band

11/27/04 - The Australian Pink Floyd Show

05/27/05 - Porcupine Tree (Chicago)

11/25/05 - Opeth

02/21/06 - Sigur Ros

04/01/06 - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

05/09/06 - King's X
07/22/06 - Sammy Hagar
08/26/06 - The Flaming Lips
09/14/06 – Muse
10/20/06 - The Flower Kings (Chicago)
08/24/07 - Rush
05/14/08 - Radiohead
05/16/08 – Wilco
06/09/08 – Zappa Plays Zappa
06/28/08 – Rush
07/01/08 – Modest Mouse
07/20/08 – Foo Fighters
10/18/08 – David Byrne
07/01/09 – Judas Priest and Whitesnake
04/29/10 – Jeff Beck
08/22/10 - Rush
08/23/10 - Porcupine Tree
09/17/10 - The Flaming Lips
04/21/11 - Arcade Fire
04/27/11 - The Decemberists
05/13/11 - dredg
07/17/11 - U2
07/19/11 - Fleet Foxes
07/24/11 - Styx and Yes
09/17/11 - Foo Fighters
10/02/11 - Death Cab for Cutie
03/09/12 - Radiohead
06/05/12 - Queen Extravaganza
09/22/12 - Rush
03/08/13 - Muse
05/03/13 - Steven Wilson (Chicago)
05/16/13 - Opeth
04/05/14 - Dream Theater (Chicago)
04/09/14 - Dream Theater (Kansas City)
06/10/14 - The Flaming Lips
05/13/15 - Death Cab for Cutie
05/14/15 - Rush
05/30/15 - The Decemberists
11/06/16 - Dream Theater
01/26/17 - Neal Morse Band
05/02/17 - Devin Townsend Project
05/16/17 - Tears for Fears / Hall & Oates
06/13/17 - Muse

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
It's easy when you've seen so little concerts Kev. :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »

...and most Kiss shows; I saw him at MSG on the first leg of the first reunion (when he and Peter were supposed to be "sober"), and he wasn't.

I've always wondered if some of that was a put-on. The stumbling etc. etc... as part of his persona. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I think that he was sober the times that I've seen him, but it's hard to tell.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 11:27:40 PM »
There's a new website called concertarchives.org that works with setlist.fm to compile your concert history. I've been working on mine for months now and I think I've almost got everything.

https://www.concertarchives.org/jammindude/concerts
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 11:45:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing, that looks cool.  I may have to spend some time to do that myself

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »
There's a new website called concertarchives.org that works with setlist.fm to compile your concert history. I've been working on mine for months now and I think I've almost got everything.

It doesn't seem to offer any help. You're still required to know all the details. I was expecting it to help fill in dates, or better still, make recommendations. When I entered Roger Waters at American Airlines Center, I expected it to show me the only two times he's played that venue so I could select which show. It just filled in August, 9. What would really be helpful is if you told it you saw ACDC, Ozzy, and Iron maiden in 1985, it offered up Priest as a possible suggestion.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »
I posted 1 a few years ago, but it does need an update from the last couple of years.

I estimate I've seen 500+ shows and over 1000 artists/bands perform.

https://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2015/11/my-concert-attendance-history.html

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »
Cool thread, Stadler. I have a spreadsheet with all 210 shows I have attended, listing the headliner, date, venue, location, and opener(s).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
You guys make me want to reupdate my list.

My main problem is that I've been attending so many free and local concerts so tickets stubs aside it's gonna be hard to remember every single free folk metal / irish rock gig I've attended in the past years.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »

It doesn't seem to offer any help. You're still required to know all the details. I was expecting it to help fill in dates, or better still, make recommendations. When I entered Roger Waters at American Airlines Center, I expected it to show me the only two times he's played that venue so I could select which show. It just filled in August, 9. What would really be helpful is if you told it you saw ACDC, Ozzy, and Iron maiden in 1985, it offered up Priest as a possible suggestion.

That's why setlist.fm is so fine.   If'n I know AC/DC played the Hartford Civic Center at some point during my college years, I can click on the band, click on the "Concert Map", click on the State of Connecticut (I suppose you have to know what your state looks like) and it will list all the appearance it has in it's database for that state. 

Though it has gaps.  I've had to enter a number of setlists myself.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
Its kind of worthless here in my state. But I have noticed a lot more people posting Setlists on the site.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »

Yeah, that's awesome. I've already started importing my concert data. Thanks for the heads up on this website.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.