Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 219347 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3640 on: April 10, 2024, 07:42:30 AM »
Blasted through all of Sons of Anarchy the past few weeks, just love that show. Wanted to do it before I dig into Mayans for the first time.
We loved Sons of Anarchy (my wife a little more than me - she did a separate rewatch), but years later when Mayans came on, we tried the first season and it didn't quite work for us.  I hope you like it more than we did.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3641 on: April 10, 2024, 08:41:31 AM »
We loved Sons of Anarchy (my wife a little more than me - she did a separate rewatch), but years later when Mayans came on, we tried the first season and it didn't quite work for us.  I hope you like it more than we did.

This is fair.  I wouldn't say it "didn't work for me", because I liked it, but it wasn't Sons, even if at times it pretty blatantly tried to hitch it's wagon to that star.  I didn't help that I didn't really like Edward James Olmos, Danny Pino or Sarah Bolger in their roles (even though I like Danny Pino on other roles), and a lot of the "family" stuff was lost on me. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3642 on: April 10, 2024, 08:56:29 AM »
Started 'The Gentleman' last night on Netflix. Watched (3) episodes. Fun show, pretty neat.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3643 on: April 10, 2024, 09:55:47 AM »
I then tried Ted Lasso again.  I neglected to cancel before the free trial rolled over, so I've got Apple TV until the end of the month.  That'll give me time to finish both Manhunt and Ted Lasso.  Lasso is ok.  There are a bunch of likeable characters, but I really don't get what all the hoopla was about.  I just watched a batshit crazy episode primarily focused on Coach Beard.  I think someone dropped acid before writing that one.

I finished s2 last night.  The show turning from a comedy into a soap opera is disappointing.  Nate becoming a complete asshole for no apparent reason?  I suppose I'll make it through s3, but I don't have super high hopes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3644 on: April 10, 2024, 10:21:42 AM »
I finished s2 last night.  The show turning from a comedy into a soap opera is disappointing.  Nate becoming a complete asshole for no apparent reason?  I suppose I'll make it through s3, but I don't have super high hopes.

Yeah.....overall I 'liked' watching the show. It was a good enough story to get into and S1 was really good.

But the tone of the show did change, and they REALLY milked the heck out of most of the storylines and created some unnecessary ones as well just to keep the show going. S3 was a stretch, it was fine....but the show and story had definitely run its course by then.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3645 on: April 10, 2024, 11:13:25 AM »
just had a crazy idea:

Sons of Anarchy remake, but the stars are all members of the Sons of Apollo
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3646 on: April 10, 2024, 12:36:24 PM »
just had a crazy idea:

Sons of Anarchy remake, but the stars are all members of the Sons of Apollo

crazy
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3647 on: April 10, 2024, 03:06:21 PM »
Yeah.....overall I 'liked' watching the show. It was a good enough story to get into and S1 was really good.

But the tone of the show did change, and they REALLY milked the heck out of most of the storylines and created some unnecessary ones as well just to keep the show going. S3 was a stretch, it was fine....but the show and story had definitely run its course by then.

Nothing beats the scene where Roy goes in for a curry and gets stiffed by the owner.  :)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3648 on: April 10, 2024, 03:06:54 PM »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3649 on: April 10, 2024, 03:39:39 PM »
you love me

Nothing beats the scene where Roy goes in for a curry and gets stiffed by the owner.  :)

What does "goes in for a curry" mean?  Frankly, this sentence looks like a sexual innuendo.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Awaken

« Reply #3650 on: April 11, 2024, 05:03:28 AM »
Just finished 'The New Look' on appletv, enjoyed this one way more than I expected to when my wife started it.

getting started now on 'We were the lucky ones' and it's been great so far. 

Though after Masters of the Air, The New Look, and now We were the lucky ones - I'm calling a moratorium on wwii based series. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3651 on: April 11, 2024, 06:10:42 AM »

What does "goes in for a curry" mean?  Frankly, this sentence looks like a sexual innuendo.   :lol

For some reason, some English call that meal "A curry" and I have no idea why.  In the show, Roy literally goes in the store to buy "a" curry.

So they want you to believe. I think it WAS a big sexual innuendo, myself.  :) :) :) : ) :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:12:39 AM by Stadler »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3652 on: April 11, 2024, 07:50:04 AM »
Finished 'The Gentleman' last night......hammered that season out in two nights.  :lol   Pretty fun show

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3653 on: April 11, 2024, 08:00:18 AM »
:lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3654 on: April 15, 2024, 09:40:22 AM »
Parish on AMC.  So far, it's been really good - Giancarlo Esposito is a former getaway driver trying to leave a world of crime behind, but takes a job that pulls him back in. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3655 on: April 15, 2024, 09:58:20 AM »
Parish on AMC.  So far, it's been really good - Giancarlo Esposito is a former getaway driver trying to leave a world of crime behind, but takes a job that pulls him back in.
I need to get in on that.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3656 on: April 17, 2024, 02:19:41 AM »
I finished What We Do in the Shadows, season 5, and season 2 of The Bear.

The vampire mockumentary is fantastic, it's still hilarious and witty as ever, can't get enough of these guys.

The Bear... I liked it overall, but I realized that the frantic chaos of the show is not for me. I mean, I respect the cinematography, the script, it's not easy to coreograph properly people arguing and talking over each other at the same time while doing long shots, but this chaotic mess of people shouting and fightning is just not for me.

The christmas dinner flashback episode, for example - I'm sure some will call it the best episode of the season, for me it was just "too much". Also, after having seen The Menu, I can't take seriously anymore a bunch of cooks calling each other "chefs" all the time

I will come back eventually for season 3, but it's gonna be a low priority for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3657 on: April 17, 2024, 02:50:57 AM »

The vampire mockumentary is fantastic, it's still hilarious and witty as ever, can't get enough of these guys.

Thought 5 was a return to form.  Though Season 4 (and 3 to a lesser extent) suffered from being more patchy in quality.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3658 on: April 17, 2024, 03:03:44 AM »
For season 5, I loved the season running joke - which you don't even realize it was a joke until the last episode, which makes it even funnier - that Lazlo is the clever one, but stupid Nandor immediately realized not only why Guillermo didn't fully turn, but also the simplest solution to fully transform him into a vampire.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3659 on: April 17, 2024, 08:21:48 AM »
I will come back eventually for season 3, but it's gonna be a low priority for me.
Why come back?  Sounds like the show isn't for you.  Don't waste your time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3660 on: April 20, 2024, 09:58:49 PM »
Also, after having seen The Menu, I can't take seriously anymore a bunch of cooks calling each other "chefs" all the time

It's pretty common in higher end restaurants. I've worked in two that were like that, most are usually in the blast radius of Keller's culture he developed at the French Laundry (that's where the blue aprons in the show came from, as well as the habit of cutting the labeling tape instead of tearing it), so much of the show pulls from that culture.

Just finished Ep9 of Shogun, I'd be floored if this doesn't sweep all sorts of awards, especially for Anna Sowai's portrayal of Mariko, I don't think I've seen that elegant and powerful of a female lead ever. Just brilliant.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3661 on: April 21, 2024, 06:44:22 AM »
Finished The Dropout on Disney, great mini series. This flew under my radar so I totally didn't know about Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes. Great show, Amanda Seyfried was good in portraying such a troubled and deluded character.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3662 on: April 21, 2024, 02:35:54 PM »
Watched the first episode of Fallout, and it was pretty good. Will keep watching, as it seems it just gets better and better as it goes on.

Also watching Okupas with a friend, lots of fun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3663 on: April 22, 2024, 06:13:18 AM »
It's pretty common in higher end restaurants. I've worked in two that were like that, most are usually in the blast radius of Keller's culture he developed at the French Laundry (that's where the blue aprons in the show came from, as well as the habit of cutting the labeling tape instead of tearing it), so much of the show pulls from that culture.

"Chef" and "Coach" seem like interchangeable phenomena; once you coach a team somewhere, no matter for how long or what degree of success, you are ALWAYS Coach.   Just look at any sports desk where one of the panel is "coach"; even non-players will not refer to them by name, only "Coach".  I think "Chef" is the same way.

Chef. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3664 on: April 22, 2024, 07:19:46 AM »
I've seen a lot of good feedback on 'Resident Alien' so I started that one.....watched the first two episodes and it's pretty good thus far.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3665 on: April 22, 2024, 07:20:53 AM »
I've seen a lot of good feedback on 'Resident Alien' so I started that one.....watched the first two episodes and it's pretty good thus far.

I really liked it. Not a super intense show and definitely knows how seriously it should take itself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3666 on: April 22, 2024, 07:29:52 AM »
I really liked it. Not a super intense show and definitely knows how seriously it should take itself.

The first season was great, the second season was a bit of a letdown though.  Not watched the 3rd one yet.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3667 on: April 22, 2024, 07:40:25 AM »
The first season was great, the second season was a bit of a letdown though.  Not watched the 3rd one yet.

I can totally see that. I was just along for the ride so it didn't bug me. Season 3 is good. A bit bigger? Makes me curious where it will go in season 4.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3668 on: April 22, 2024, 10:38:48 AM »
On my flights last week, I watched:

- The final episode of Manhunt on Apple TV.  HIGHLY recommend to anyone who's interested in the Civil War, historical fiction, etc. (it's the story of hunt for John Wilkes Booth following the assassination of Lincoln).

- Several episodes of s1 of Wednesday.  It was ok, but a bit too much of a teen girl drama.  Not sure I'll return to it.

- The first few episodes of s2 of Upload.  I enjoyed s1, but this was (I think) my second pass through these s2 episodes, and it's just not grabbing me.  I think one of these days, I need to start from the beginning and watch all the way through to keep the momentum from s1.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3669 on: April 22, 2024, 10:50:05 AM »
Just started watching Foundation on Apple +.  It's been a while since I read the novels, so I'm not exactly sure how close an adaptation it is, but it is definitely entertaining thus far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3670 on: April 22, 2024, 11:03:59 AM »
Just started watching Foundation on Apple +.  It's been a while since I read the novels, so I'm not exactly sure how close an adaptation it is, but it is definitely entertaining thus far.

I really, really like this show. The only thing wrong with it is that they didn't film it all at once and we have to wait between seasons. I think they've nailed the casting....especially 'Day'....the whole story is cool.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3671 on: April 22, 2024, 11:04:57 AM »

I enjoyed that show, but never read the books.

So we started watching The Circle last night.  I previously had not been interested in this reality game show before, but this season they have a contestant that is AI and my gf and I were trying to figure something to watch last night and we got sucked in.  The AI twist is really interesting so far.  It's incredible to see how people have no idea, but tbf, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't figure that out either in their shoes. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3672 on: April 22, 2024, 12:03:16 PM »
"Chef" and "Coach" seem like interchangeable phenomena; once you coach a team somewhere, no matter for how long or what degree of success, you are ALWAYS Coach.   Just look at any sports desk where one of the panel is "coach"; even non-players will not refer to them by name, only "Coach".  I think "Chef" is the same way.

Chef.

Yeah, traditionally Chef is the team leader, what Keller and others started doing about 15 years ago is by calling everyone chef they are creating a culture where everyone is an integral part of the process, and it develops a sense of ownership from the bottom up.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3673 on: April 22, 2024, 02:00:23 PM »

It's not a close adaptation, at all, but I quite like it. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3674 on: April 22, 2024, 02:18:47 PM »

It's not a close adaptation, at all, but I quite like it.
:tup