Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 226615 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3255 on: November 08, 2023, 11:12:38 AM »
My current line-up:

- Just finished The Peripheral. It's no Westworld season 1 but it's interesting.
- About to finish the original The Office. Yup, the UK one with Rick Gervais. It's funny to realize where all the US Office characters came from.
- Started GenV, 2 episodes in.
- Started Nine Perfect Strangers (with Nicole Kidman), 1 episode in.
- Following Upload whenever new episodes are available.

Thye're both funny, in their own way, and the UK version doesn't have Robert California, but I think all in, I prefer the UK version.  Then again, I'm a Ricky Gervais fan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3256 on: November 08, 2023, 11:17:41 AM »
So my gf and I finished watching a terrible Netflix reality TV show.  Called Surviving Paradise.  We both kind of enjoy some of this shit reality TV, but this was really bad.  Makes me wonder if this was what we were about to get a lot of if the writer strike kept going. At least it was short, I realized about 2 episodes in that this wasn't going to be good but it was a quick enough watch to just finish.

Big Brother finishes this week, I thought this season was fairly boring after the halfway point as it became very clear the two guys where going to run the house easily, as they did.

This is evidence that "unscripted" TV is in fact, scripted.

I like to blow my kids minds by asking them... if it's all "unscripted", if this is all "live", how did the cameras know to be IN THE HOUSE when the door bell rang?   Or whatever.   There's no such thing as "unscripted" TV on TV unless it's called "The News".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3257 on: November 08, 2023, 11:35:19 AM »
There are most certainy writers involved in reality series and a lot of that also gets edited in certain ways to make things look how they want it to. 

But it's not all fake.  I mean in the Big Brother house they are filmed 24/7 and you can watch the live feeds.  So it's basically completely legit, but when they talk to the camera in the diary room, it's quite obvious they are being fed lines as well as during the games and events. 

From my limited understanding of The Jersey Shore due to my friendship, a lot of that is also legit, but the producers certainly stir the pot and also will edit things to make it look a certain way.

Of course when the cameras are always there and filming, obviously a lot of it isn't going to be truly genuine though, so even if it's not scripted, a lot of reality TV is going to look stupid.  But I think that's why I like some of it, I for some reason lately have enjoyed watching real people look stupid on TV. (and no, I'm not talking about our politicians)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3258 on: November 09, 2023, 10:15:21 AM »
The SAG-AFTRA strike has finally resolved.

Since the WGA strike resolved a month ago, I'm assuming shows will resume production pretty quickly - probably after Thanksgiving - with new episodes ready to go as early as January.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3259 on: November 09, 2023, 11:25:41 AM »
Finally started 'Dexter-New Blood'   I binged the original series a year or so ago right before it was going to be removed from Netflix. I liked it for the most part...it did get a bit odd and redundant at times but all in all it was a good series. Not too great an ending but I guess that's why the rebooted it. I've heard mixed reviews on the 'New Blood' series so will see how it turns out
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3260 on: November 09, 2023, 01:37:00 PM »
Dexter was good to amazing for four seasons and then bottomed out pretty quickly after Trinity. And the series finale was a disaster. All that said, I enjoyed New Blood.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3261 on: November 09, 2023, 06:25:27 PM »
I felt that New Blood started out well and seemed really promising at first, but it went to shit towards the end rather quickly.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3262 on: November 10, 2023, 05:06:17 AM »

Since the WGA strike resolved a month ago, I'm assuming shows will resume production pretty quickly - probably after Thanksgiving - with new episodes ready to go as early as January.

After a 6+ month strike, you think shows can get caught up that fast, ready for release after 6ish weeks of work?  I think that's quite optimistic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3263 on: November 10, 2023, 07:44:43 AM »

After a 6+ month strike, you think shows can get caught up that fast, ready for release after 6ish weeks of work?  I think that's quite optimistic.

This is a legit question:  the strike means you can't go into PRODUCTION, and I know I've heard writer (the guy from Yellowstone for one) say they "haven't written anything while the strike was on", but is that bullshit?  It seems implausible that a guy with so much riding on his writing wouldn't strike (pun intended) while the iron was hot and write when inspiration struck him.  I know, I know, we're all good liberals so we have to have solidarity with the union, but does anyone have any insight into how literal that goes?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3264 on: November 10, 2023, 07:54:10 AM »
While the writers were on strike, none of them were writing, except maybe some of them who pull double duty, like producers or showrunners.

Having said that, the writer's strike has been over for a month and a half, so they've been working since then.  The only pieces left to put in place were the actors, so I wouldn't be surprised if a LOT of productions are ready to go, only needing to over logistics for all the other technical personnel to be on set.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3265 on: November 10, 2023, 08:41:49 AM »
I don't know how it works for the writers during the strike, I think they can make notes, outlines and scribble ideas while on strike in their personal time. I think the Last of Us writer/producer/director Craig Mazin did something along those lines while the strike was going on. No official meetings with other writers or brainstorming can happen.

That's what I vaguely remember.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3266 on: November 10, 2023, 09:10:21 AM »

As I mentioned, the writers strike resolved on September 27, so writers have presumably been back at work for six weeks, which means a couple weeks' worth of scripts should be mostly final.  I don't know why the actors would need any prep time, so I see no reason why they shouldn't be back to work right after Thanksgiving (allowing a week for ratification and the week of Thanksgiving).

The 2007-08 WGA strike ended on February 12, 2008, and new shows began to air during the week of March 17, 2008.  So yes, I think that, if they get back to work immediately, they should have new episodes ready to air in January.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3267 on: November 10, 2023, 09:23:06 AM »
Saw something this morning that Dick Wolf productions (Law & Order, the Chicago Fire/PD family) plan on beginning production right after Thanksgiving, but only planning on 13 episode seasons, instead of the normal 22 for their shows.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3268 on: November 10, 2023, 01:56:20 PM »
Dexter was good to amazing for four seasons and then bottomed out pretty quickly after Trinity. And the series finale was a disaster. All that said, I enjoyed New Blood.

My feeling that so many didn't like New Blood because of the following... (super small font for spoilers)

Fans were excited to get Dexter back, only to see him die.  I suspect many felt like the rug was pulled out from under them as a result, but him dying and/or getting caught should have been the end game in the original series and HAD to be the end game in New Blood.  And I don't think stretching it out over a few seasons would have worked.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3269 on: November 10, 2023, 04:03:42 PM »
New season on invincible has started on amazon. I really like this show

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3270 on: November 11, 2023, 09:28:13 AM »

Fans were excited to get Dexter back, only to see him die.  I suspect many felt like the rug was pulled out from under them as a result, but him dying and/or getting caught should have been the end game in the original series and HAD to be the end game in New Blood.  And I don't think stretching it out over a few seasons would have worked.

1000% agree with the small font. But, I wasn't too bummed or upset about how abrupt it all was.....only that this reboot was not needed had they just done it properly the first time as you mention. The whole thing just felt like them correcting that....with an underlying storyline that was 'passable' but far from it's glory days of writing when the series was firing on all cylinders.

Had I watched this in real time I might have been a bit more mediocre on it all....but the fact that I was able to binge it in three sittings made it tolerable and enjoyable enough.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3271 on: November 11, 2023, 08:24:11 PM »
Just finished Season 03 of Upload. All I gotta say is, there better be a 4th season after that finale. Really built to quite a frantic finale there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3272 on: November 12, 2023, 02:05:02 AM »
Just finished Season 03 of Upload. All I gotta say is, there better be a 4th season after that finale. Really built to quite a frantic finale there.

I just knew the episode was about to end before we got the answer to that question. I like the show and liked the season but this is one of the most predictable cliffhangers in recent history.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: November 12, 2023, 08:47:28 AM »

I just knew the episode was about to end before we got the answer to that question. I like the show and liked the season but this is one of the most predictable cliffhangers in recent history.

I still need to finish the last couple episodes but I'm shocked they're dragging this show out to another season. It's been a fun show...but, I would have sworn that S3 would have been the last one. There's just not a lot of places to take this show. This season has lost some of it's appeal and that's due to the obvious stretching out of the storyline and episodes.

Still a fun show because it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3274 on: November 13, 2023, 11:39:51 AM »
I watched Netflix's Life on Our Planet over the past week or so.  Visually, it was stunning.  The scenes of actual, modern animals and CGI ancient critters were, at times, indistinguishable.  Covering 4 billion years of life in 6-8 hours is a tough task, so it was obviously an extremely cursory overview.  There were times where I wished we could have had more detail, but it's obviously not possible with something like this.  Predictably, the last 10 minutes was a HUGE bit of "bad humans kill planet" rhetoric (or, maybe I should say the first 5 of the last 10 minutes were that, because I turned it off before the end).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3275 on: November 14, 2023, 02:44:38 AM »
I started binging Elementary recently. Pretty good fun so far.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3276 on: November 14, 2023, 05:23:06 AM »

Me and the missus loved that show. Lucy Liu is mesmerizing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3277 on: November 14, 2023, 08:16:16 AM »
Started watching Fall of the House of Usher and I expect we'll finish it real soon since we both are really liking it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3278 on: November 14, 2023, 08:51:44 AM »
Started watching Fall of the House of Usher and I expect we'll finish it real soon since we both are really liking it.

Love, love that show! Terrifying, and chock full of Poe easter eggs.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3279 on: November 14, 2023, 09:00:52 AM »

Yeah, I caught a few of the Poe easter eggs, but I'm guessing I'm missing a ton since I hardly remember the Poe stories from childhood. I may have to go watch a youtube video about it once we finish the show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3280 on: November 14, 2023, 09:05:01 AM »

Me and the missus loved that show. Lucy Liu is mesmerizing.

That's a REALLY good show.  They really walked the line of making Sherlock quirky enough to be convincing, without watering him down as most quirky characters are over time (see Sheldon from Big Bang Theory).  I think they ended it at exactly the right time.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3281 on: November 14, 2023, 09:20:46 AM »

I loved the show, but I'd say considering this is Mike Flanigan the scares were quite lowkey on this one.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3282 on: November 14, 2023, 09:52:02 AM »

I loved the show, but I'd say considering this is Mike Flanigan the scares were quite lowkey on this one.

I agree on the scares, but the way he weaved SO MUCH Poe into the story was amazing.  The overall story was the Fall of the House of Usher, but each episode was a smaller work of Poe in itself.  That really blew me away, from the names of the characters to the story in each episode. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: November 16, 2023, 08:22:14 AM »

Finished it up, and yeah.....you could feel the cliffhanger coming. I sure hope they wrap it up in S4. I dig the show but at this point they're just milking this thing. Everyone knows this will all end a big happy ending so lets just get it done.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: November 16, 2023, 12:08:50 PM »

I agree on the scares, but the way he weaved SO MUCH Poe into the story was amazing.  The overall story was the Fall of the House of Usher, but each episode was a smaller work of Poe in itself.  That really blew me away, from the names of the characters to the story in each episode.

We finished the show last night, well done and awesome show.  I was slightly let down with the ending, but I feel that's quite normal for these types of horror shows and that didn't take away from how well the show was presented with all the Poe references and just the general storytelling of it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3285 on: November 17, 2023, 01:26:27 PM »
First three episodes of 'Monarch: Legacy of Monsters' is available on Apple TV. I'm going to probably watch these tonight....maybe tomorrow night. Looks pretty good and I've dug the last couple Godzilla and Kong movies.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3286 on: November 17, 2023, 08:01:36 PM »
First three episodes of 'Monarch: Legacy of Monsters' is available on Apple TV. I'm going to probably watch these tonight....maybe tomorrow night. Looks pretty good and I've dug the last couple Godzilla and Kong movies.

Starting EP 1 now... I'll report back.

Ok... One episode down, this one looks really, really promising. Ilmake a separate thread for discussion. l
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 08:50:19 PM by lonestar »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3287 on: November 18, 2023, 01:19:52 PM »
I watched season 2 of The Lincoln Lawyer this past week.  EXCELLENT.  At this point, I don't really remember the book, and I only barely remember the movie, but I think the Netflix show is going to stick with me.  I don't think I'd ever heard of Manuel Garcia-Rulfo before, but he is exceptional as Mickey Haller, and the supporting cast (particularly Becki Newton) is great as well.  Really looking forward to season 3.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3288 on: November 18, 2023, 01:34:00 PM »
I watched season 2 of The Lincoln Lawyer this past week.  EXCELLENT.  At this point, I don't really remember the book, and I only barely remember the movie, but I think the Netflix show is going to stick with me.  I don't think I'd ever heard of Manuel Garcia-Rulfo before, but he is exceptional as Mickey Haller, and the supporting cast (particularly Becki Newton) is great as well.  Really looking forward to season 3.
We've really enjoyed that show as well.

Also a big fan of Titus Welliver as Bosch on the Prime/Freevee shows.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3289 on: November 19, 2023, 08:55:52 AM »
I’ve been watching The Fall of the House of Usher once in a while with friends. We’re now halfway through the season. Absolutely fantastic stuff from Mike Flanagan. I especially loved his show Midnight Mass as well.

When solo I’ve been watching the first 4 episodes of For All Mankind. I’m very impressed by the story, characters and acting so far. I’m enjoying this much more than I thought I would.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .