Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 226654 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3080 on: August 27, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »
Or do the sensible thing and just stop when you get there.  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3081 on: August 27, 2023, 08:31:32 PM »
Or do the sensible thing and just stop when you get there.  :)

I’ve heard rumors…but is it really that bad?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3082 on: August 27, 2023, 10:33:50 PM »
There are better TOS experts here than me who may want to jump in. Their already skimpy budget was slashed for Season 3, Roddenberry was checking out, the network was losing interest, and the cast and crew didn't see a bright future to the show. A lot of factors working against them. But the creative team was largely intact, writers like Gene Coon. There are some good episodes, but it's generally considered a big drop-off from seasons 1 and 2.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3083 on: August 27, 2023, 10:46:20 PM »
Heading into S3 of Ragnarok on Netflix, enjoyed the first two seasons.

Also starting Mayor of Kingstown, very promising.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3084 on: August 28, 2023, 06:24:05 AM »
So after ignoring Game of Thrones for over a decade (I had no interest in watching it), I finally decided to watch this show. Currently up to the middle of season 2. The show feels like it moves very slowly, but in a good way since it builds up tension. Liking it so far  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3085 on: August 28, 2023, 06:25:55 AM »
So after ignoring Game of Thrones for over a decade (I had no interest in watching it), I finally decided to watch this show. Currently up to the middle of season 2. The show feels like it moves very slowly, but in a good way since it builds up tension. Liking it so far  :corn

Yeah the show starts a bit slow with the build up and each season gets a bit quicker.  Great show until the ending IMO, but still very much worth watching.  If you enjoyed season 1, you're in for a real treat with the next few seasons.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3086 on: August 28, 2023, 07:31:35 AM »

I mean, you have to watch it through. It's excellent, there's no two ways about it.   But...  I'm of the opinion you could tell - without having read the books - the instant that the show went beyond the written material.   I don't want to say any more for spoilers, but... you also have to Google "Game of thrones meme horse".   It's about as accurate as it gets. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3087 on: August 28, 2023, 07:46:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm aware the ending (Or last season) is not as great as the rest of the show, I'm mentally prepared  :)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3088 on: August 28, 2023, 08:11:24 AM »
Almost done with season 2 of The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.

Watching a docuseries on PBS called Southern Storytellers.  Really insightful piece about how different people in different arts and walks of life express themselves and their stories.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3089 on: August 29, 2023, 03:18:59 PM »
Finishing up S1 of Mayor of Kingstown...just an outstanding, gritty drama, with an amazing lead performance from Jeremy Renner.

Can't highly recommend it enough.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3090 on: August 30, 2023, 11:39:08 AM »
Justified: City Primeval was a decent miniseries, but they dropped huge sequel bait at the end! I hope it gets greenlit.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3091 on: August 30, 2023, 12:58:56 PM »
Finished up The Mayor of Kingstown, S2 on Paramount+...yeah, shit like that happens when I'm on vacation and the show is that good.
Fortunately they wrapped stuff up a bit since S3 is waiting on the strikes like everything else is.

Great, great show though.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: August 30, 2023, 04:49:39 PM »
Justified: City Primeval was a decent miniseries, but they dropped huge sequel bait at the end! I hope it gets greenlit.

I can't get over Raylan not even drawing his gun until the finale... great writing and great source material.  "Dark and bloody" as Mother Abigail would say.

I had an itch that the end of City Primeval would be the beginning of something else... leave it hanging out there and let FX do the math.  Plenty of Elmore Leonard source material left to drop Raylan into.  Nice to see an old friend return as well.  As much as I liked it, that ending felt "pasted on" just a little bit.

On a side note... Tim Olyphant would make a wonderful Roland Deschain.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3093 on: September 04, 2023, 05:48:36 PM »
I started watching Ghosts on my flight home from Atlanta on Saturday.  I'm now halfway through season 2.  Surprisingly funny.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3094 on: September 05, 2023, 02:45:57 AM »
I'm two episodes into Pistol, miniseries about the Sex Pistols.

I must confess I'm watching almost more for the period piece that it is, showing the London of the 70s, than the band itself which after all I never followed. And probably not knowing every single detail about the Sex Pistols helps me to concentrate on the story as it is presented rather than getting tangled with the "this is not how it actually happened" game that would distract me.

First two episodes were great, I was so caught up with the story and the atmosphere that I almost forgot who the Sex Pistols singer was  :lol I mean, as I said I never followed the band but the names "Johnny Rotten" and "Sid Vicious" were not lost on me, I simply forgot about Johnny until he appeared and assumed Steve Jones was the lead singer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3095 on: September 05, 2023, 06:51:13 AM »
I started watching Ghosts on my flight home from Atlanta on Saturday.  I'm now halfway through season 2.  Surprisingly funny.

It grows on you.  There are moments that don't land, but every time I think "well, there's got to be a better use of my time" there's a joke funny enough to make me forget that.  The throwaway lines are some of the funniest moments.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 07:04:39 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3096 on: September 05, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »

It grows on you.  There are moments that don't land, but every time I think "well, there's got to be a better use of my time" there's a joke funny enough to make me forget that.  The throwaway lines are some of the funniest moments.

That's for sure.  The idea of these completely different characters interact makes for some great stuff.  I think being able to play some of these characters must be great fun for the actors.  I hit the end of season 2 last night, so now I'm stuck with a cliffhanger that ain't getting resolved anytime soon.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: September 05, 2023, 09:59:16 AM »

That's for sure.  The idea of these completely different characters interact makes for some great stuff.  I think being able to play some of these characters must be great fun for the actors.  I hit the end of season 2 last night, so now I'm stuck with a cliffhanger that ain't getting resolved anytime soon.

Hetty is priceless, and I enjoy the interactions with Thorfinn and Flower.   Stupid + Stupid = Hilarious, more often than not.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3098 on: September 05, 2023, 05:19:36 PM »
Hetty and Thor are the two I was thinking of when I commented earlier.  I feel like Flower is under-utilized, and I'm wondering if she might have been the one sucked off at the end.  The actress who plays her is pregnant, and they obviously couldn't write that into the storyline.  However, the ongoing strikes might be a blessing in disguise in that regard.  We'll see, I guess.

I think I may give the original British version a shot.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3099 on: September 06, 2023, 09:30:18 AM »
Hetty and Thor are the two I was thinking of when I commented earlier.  I feel like Flower is under-utilized, and I'm wondering if she might have been the one sucked off at the end.  The actress who plays her is pregnant, and they obviously couldn't write that into the storyline.  However, the ongoing strikes might be a blessing in disguise in that regard.  We'll see, I guess.

And I did...got a few episodes in.  It's actually kinda cool watching it on the heels of the U.S. version - seeing what was changed and what stayed the same.  The scout leader character is basically the same.  Thor in the U.S. version was a caveman in the original.  No analogs for Flower and Sasappis, and the Hetty analog is fairly annoying.  It's also interesting that Jay in the U.S. version is an accomplished chef, while neither of the "livings" in the original had any acumen for cooking.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3100 on: September 06, 2023, 11:05:11 AM »
Finished Veep for the first time recently.

I enjoyed the show a lot more as it went along, but holy CRAP did this show make me have even less hope and faith in politics. It's like the opposite of West Wing. Just awful self-serving human beings constantly being given different and increasing levels of power.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3101 on: September 06, 2023, 12:32:26 PM »
Veep is absolutely fantastic and one of the best comedy shows ever. I love how it's brutal in its "dark" comedy and satire. Fantastic job from all the writers and of course actors involved.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3102 on: September 06, 2023, 12:45:13 PM »
I remember reading an AMA on Reddit a while back that an ex-White House aide or some worker did. Everyone kept asking him how much of House of Cards was true in the White House. This was back when HoC was huge in popularity around season 2. He answered that it was hardly like HoC and very much like Veep. They nailed the chaos, the ineptness and powertrips found all around. I'm pretty sure a lot of real life incidents were incorporated into the show.

It's one of my favorite comedies and now it's time for a rewatch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3103 on: September 06, 2023, 01:20:23 PM »
I remember reading an AMA on Reddit a while back that an ex-White House aide or some worker did. Everyone kept asking him how much of House of Cards was true in the White House. This was back when HoC was huge in popularity around season 2. He answered that it was hardly like HoC and very much like Veep. They nailed the chaos, the ineptness and powertrips found all around. I'm pretty sure a lot of real life incidents were incorporated into the show.

If Veep is realistic, then I am terrified (sorry Stads).

Love the show, but good lord.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3104 on: September 06, 2023, 02:46:03 PM »

Grrrrrrrrr.     I watched a Dateline last night about a murder up on the Upper Peninsula, and they had this podcaster commenting on the story (seems to be the latest thing). Anyway, he must've said "terrified" like 9,000 times. At one point, my wife looks at me and says "are you ok?".  Even she had enough.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3105 on: September 06, 2023, 03:00:57 PM »
VEEP was better than I expected.  'The Thick of It' is one of my favourite shows, and the thought of a slick American version didn't seem a good idea, but thankfully they stuck with Armando Iannucci writing and while it obviously wasn't as nasty and dirty as 'The Thick of It' (they never got a version of Malcolm Tucker) it still was funny even if it went more towards buffoonery.

Anyone tried One Piece on Netflix?  No idea what to expect (never even heard of the source material) but watched the first 3 episodes and it's a lot of fun.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3106 on: September 06, 2023, 03:02:16 PM »

Grrrrrrrrr.     I watched a Dateline last night about a murder up on the Upper Peninsula, and they had this podcaster commenting on the story (seems to be the latest thing). Anyway, he must've said "terrified" like 9,000 times. At one point, my wife looks at me and says "are you ok?".  Even she had enough.

That sounds TERRIFYIING!!

;D
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3107 on: September 06, 2023, 03:24:50 PM »
Anyone tried One Piece on Netflix?  No idea what to expect (never even heard of the source material) but watched the first 3 episodes and it's a lot of fun.

One Piece is frickin' great. Binged it over 2 days. Definitely worth a look.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3108 on: September 06, 2023, 03:28:47 PM »
VEEP was better than I expected.  'The Thick of It' is one of my favourite shows, and the thought of a slick American version didn't seem a good idea, but thankfully they stuck with Armando Iannucci writing and while it obviously wasn't as nasty and dirty as 'The Thick of It' (they never got a version of Malcolm Tucker) it still was funny even if it went more towards buffoonery.

The Thick of It was great as well! yeah Malcom was one of a kind  :lol

Also the movie they made which was a soft reboot / reimagination of those characters, In the Loop, is pretty funny as well.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3109 on: September 06, 2023, 03:30:12 PM »
I watched In The Loop, it was hilarious. I still need to watch The Thick of it. I saw the first episode but never continued.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3110 on: September 07, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »
S2 of Invasion has been pretty good.....right in line with S1 as far as the storytelling of all these different characters.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3111 on: September 07, 2023, 11:18:19 AM »
Veep was incredibly great.

I've also enjoyed what I've seen of The Thick of It, but I never finished it.  I need to remedy that at some point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3112 on: September 07, 2023, 01:50:35 PM »

The two versions start of pretty similar, but then diverge pretty significantly as they go on.  I like both series.  They each have their own strengths.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3113 on: September 09, 2023, 01:19:17 AM »
I'm two episodes into Pistol, miniseries about the Sex Pistols.

I must confess I'm watching almost more for the period piece that it is, showing the London of the 70s, than the band itself which after all I never followed. And probably not knowing every single detail about the Sex Pistols helps me to concentrate on the story as it is presented rather than getting tangled with the "this is not how it actually happened" game that would distract me.

First two episodes were great, I was so caught up with the story and the atmosphere that I almost forgot who the Sex Pistols singer was  :lol I mean, as I said I never followed the band but the names "Johnny Rotten" and "Sid Vicious" were not lost on me, I simply forgot about Johnny until he appeared and assumed Steve Jones was the lead singer.

I finished this. Loved it!!!

As I said, I almost enjoyed it more for the period piece about London 1970s, than the musical side. Not really being into the Sex Pistols helped to concentrate on the story; after all we all know by now that every "true story" shown in movies and series is an adaptation, I don't need to know every single detail that was incorrect or fabricated to know that the story is not a faithful documentary but the writers' and the director's artistic vision.

Anyway, great and short and to the point, without dragging stuff on too much. Excellent mini series!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3114 on: September 10, 2023, 10:54:59 AM »
I watched One Piece (the anime) the first time when I was like 13-14 years old. And then with large timegaps of a couple of years I catch up every now and then (anime started in 1999 and is still running!). So I know the source material mostly.

The Netflix show had distaster written all over it, just like most live action adaptions of animated material. But I could not be more wrong, the Netflix show is actually lit!

I recommend giving it a watch, I don't think you need to know the source material. It is a fun adventure show with legit action scenes. I was surprised to see actual blood and decapitations as well. As it stands, it is a very unique show that is well worth giving a try.

I sincerely hope this will continue, but for me there is always the source material (that I feel is harder to get into if you are not familiar with anime or if you did not grow up with it).