Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212919 times)

DragonAttack and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pg1067

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2695 on: March 29, 2023, 05:53:26 PM »
I finally found The Pretender on a streaming service I have and watched the first episode.  It was really good.  The only problem is that primary character trait of hot female lead is that she smokes a lot, which negates about 50% of her hotness.

Out of curiosity, what streaming service is it on?  When I last did a rewatch, I couldn't find it anywhere, so I bought the DVDs.

Amazon Prime.  I've been looking for it for a while, and it has always come up as costing $$ (may not have been Prime at that time), but I searched again over the weekend, and it came up on Prime with no additional cost, so....

I finally found The Pretender on a streaming service I have and watched the first episode.  It was really good.  The only problem is that primary character trait of hot female lead is that she smokes a lot, which negates about 50% of her hotness.

Her snarl will make up for it.  And those long legs.

Is that Andrea Parker (I googled!). She's attractive.

Indeed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2696 on: March 29, 2023, 09:20:07 PM »
I'm waiting a few weeks before biting the bullet on Showtime to watch S2 of Yellowjackets.

Just started S3 of Succession, loving this train wreck shitshow of a family drama.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2697 on: April 04, 2023, 11:10:11 PM »
I decided to watch Yellowjackets and am now all caught up with the current episode of season 2. What the fuck is this show.?!! Geez that opening scene of the first episode is all you need to watch to know what kind of show this is. It is relentless and brutal. Mix of Lost + Twin Peaks. Good grief I'm going to have trouble sleeping now.

Oh and just remembered, talk about coincidence or some karmic seance bullshit. I'm watching an episode with one of those creepy scenes during the day on my PC in the office room and out of nowhere a fucking hawk bangs against the window. I've seen this hawk in our backyard is always fishing for lizards and I'm guessing saw one on my office window and decided to make a dive for it. Fucking jump scare in real life. You just can't make this shit up.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 11:25:07 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2698 on: April 05, 2023, 06:35:08 AM »
I decided to watch Yellowjackets and am now all caught up with the current episode of season 2. What the fuck is this show.?!! Geez that opening scene of the first episode is all you need to watch to know what kind of show this is. It is relentless and brutal. Mix of Lost + Twin Peaks. Good grief I'm going to have trouble sleeping now.

Oh and just remembered, talk about coincidence or some karmic seance bullshit. I'm watching an episode with one of those creepy scenes during the day on my PC in the office room and out of nowhere a fucking hawk bangs against the window. I've seen this hawk in our backyard is always fishing for lizards and I'm guessing saw one on my office window and decided to make a dive for it. Fucking jump scare in real life. You just can't make this shit up.

Wait, what?!?  Where are you?  Are you talking about the newts down in Florida/Georgia?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2699 on: April 05, 2023, 06:47:14 AM »
I live in Florida and fishing might not have been the right word, more like hunting. So a lizard must have crawled up on my office window and the hawk swooped in and banged against the window trying to grab it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: April 05, 2023, 06:50:25 AM »
I live in Florida and fishing might not have been the right word, more like hunting. So a lizard must have crawled up on my office window and the hawk swooped in and banged against the window trying to grab it.

It wasn't the "fishing" that got me; I was just trying to suss out how big these lizards are.  :).

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2701 on: April 05, 2023, 07:34:13 AM »
After three episodes of 'Rabbit Hole' with Keifer Sutherland, I'll say that it's pretty freaking good! Wish it wasn't a week to week series....I'd like to have binged this one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2702 on: April 05, 2023, 07:44:55 AM »

Just ol regular sized lizards, this hawk perches on our fence from time to time and almost always gets a kill.

It wasn't the "fishing" that got me; I was just trying to suss out how big these lizards are.  :).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2703 on: April 05, 2023, 09:01:26 AM »
After three episodes of 'Rabbit Hole' with Keifer Sutherland, I'll say that it's pretty freaking good! Wish it wasn't a week to week series....I'd like to have binged this one.
We are also watching and enjoying.

My wife is also bitching about it being week to week.  Just get used to it.  The new future is the past.  Unless it's Netflix, most new streaming shows are week to week.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2704 on: April 05, 2023, 12:40:17 PM »
I'm surprised there isn't (unless I missed it) a thread for Succession. With the newest season starting a couple weeks ago, I rewatched the previous season. I love the show's more comedic elements, and some of the acting is up there with the best TV I've ever seen.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2705 on: April 05, 2023, 12:45:15 PM »
I'm surprised there isn't (unless I missed it) a thread for Succession. With the newest season starting a couple weeks ago, I rewatched the previous season. I love the show's more comedic elements, and some of the acting is up there with the best TV I've ever seen.

I too rewatched the entire series recently, such a great show. All awful characters with awful personalities yet so entertaining to watch and listen. Even though the show runner has outright said the Roys are not based on the Murdochs, I have such a hard time believing that, so many coincidences. Or it may be a mix of rich influential billionaires. who knows.

Either way, season 4 has been very entertaining so far.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2706 on: April 05, 2023, 01:10:51 PM »
Yeah, perhaps there are legal reasons to not explicitly acknowledge the Murdoch family, but it sure is easy to draw comparisons.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2707 on: April 05, 2023, 02:08:34 PM »
The Night Agent on Netflix.

It's junk but we're too far to give it up. Not quite sure what it has about it that drew us in, tbh..Watching the finale tonight.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2708 on: April 06, 2023, 04:34:27 AM »
I'm finishing the sixth and last season of The Americans.

Solid show through and through, I'm curious to see how it will end. I know it was never about the USSR's big politics but the characters, but at times I really felt some more attention on the change of the various general secretaries in command, to mark the passage of time and see how the change in leadership oriented the missions of the protagonists. Overall, very nice and sometimes underrated drama.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2709 on: April 06, 2023, 09:49:49 AM »
I'm finishing the sixth and last season of The Americans.

Solid show through and through, I'm curious to see how it will end. I know it was never about the USSR's big politics but the characters, but at times I really felt some more attention on the change of the various general secretaries in command, to mark the passage of time and see how the change in leadership oriented the missions of the protagonists. Overall, very nice and sometimes underrated drama.

Great and underrated show. Good finale as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2710 on: April 06, 2023, 03:23:08 PM »
Juat finished, I can confirm it! great finale, although a bit bleak.

The nice thing about "historical" shows is that you know what happens next. To think that in just some years the USSR would crumble and fade away and they would be left wondering why they sacrificed their whole lives for something that didn't matter anymore.... I mean, they got away with it, but they "lost". Nice way to end a solid series!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2711 on: April 06, 2023, 03:47:07 PM »
Been watching Station 19 and Grey's Anatomy since day one. I enjoy Station 19 but Grey's has too many triggers lately but its my wife's show so I grit it out.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2712 on: April 07, 2023, 01:19:14 PM »
Yeah, perhaps there are legal reasons to not explicitly acknowledge the Murdoch family, but it sure is easy to draw comparisons.
Regarding this point about Succession, I was recently reading a fascinating book that’s the oral history of HBO and they spoke on this point. Years ago the original premise was based more solely on the Murdochs but one of the things that helped advance the show actually getting made was the showrunner’s realization that he should make The Roys a pastiche of many media/wealthy families, not just the Murdochs.

Even so, they were still worried as the pilot was being shot (not about being sued) but that it was was too Murdoch and Brit-centric for American audiences to “get it.” Then they said that while filming the baseball game scene in the pilot, some of the extras were overheard to be saying things like “oh this rich family is like the Trumps or The Kennedys” — and that’s when they knew that they were hitting their mark of transcending just the Murdochs.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2713 on: April 07, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »
Thinking of it I guess it makes sense, but they also do specifically borrow real life incidents from the Murdoch family hence the comparison. But I get it that by and large it's meant to portray that wealth.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2714 on: April 08, 2023, 10:48:03 AM »
Thinking of it I guess it makes sense, but they also do specifically borrow real life incidents from the Murdoch family hence the comparison. But I get it that by and large it's meant to portray that wealth.
No, I agree with you… and the book said as well that the original script treatment was essentially the Murdochs — but that they realized they could go beyond that and include lots of media/celebrity family references. I have no doubt a ton of Murdoch stuff is in the show as it stands. In fact, they were worried it might still be too Murdoch-centric — but audiences looked at the show, and considering its timing when it debuted, saw other families like the Trumps too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2715 on: April 08, 2023, 11:30:49 AM »

There is now:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58274.new#new

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2716 on: April 15, 2023, 06:57:48 PM »
The Big Door Prize

First episode was interested. Will keep watching.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2717 on: April 16, 2023, 02:29:36 AM »
Bye bye Netflix, I'm on DisneyPlus right now.

Current "lineup":

- American Horror Story, season 10 (catching up, I left off at the ninth)
- What we Do in the Shadows, season 2  :metal
- Only Murders in the Building, seasaon 1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: April 16, 2023, 08:15:57 AM »
I think TV creators must've helped fund COVID, because I tested positive and "promptly" banged out 1883 (AMAZING), 1923 (Pretty good), Get Back (AMAZING), and two seasons (so far) of Stranger Things (up and down; I like it enough to keep watching, but it's not the best ever. Doesn't help that I really don't like kid actors as a rule).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2719 on: April 17, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »
Watched The Chair on Netflix, a dramedy starring Sandra Oh as the chair of an English department at a not-quite-prestigious university.  Enjoyable enough, and was well received by both critics and audience, so of course Netflix cancelled it after only one season.

Whatever, it was nice, and with only 6 30-minute episodes, it was perfect to knock out quickly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2720 on: April 17, 2023, 10:51:34 AM »
While its not a series, I am revisiting the 4 Species movies from the 90's and early 00's. Tonight we will complete it with Species IV- The Awakening. Cheesy sci-fi, but I love it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2721 on: April 17, 2023, 11:11:17 AM »
Started Season 5 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  Why is this the last season, I don't know.  It's such a well written, character driven show. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2722 on: April 17, 2023, 11:52:05 AM »
Started Season 5 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  Why is this the last season, I don't know.  It's such a well written, character driven show.

My Netflix and Disney subscriptions were a gift so I kinda had to use them, but once I'm done, Mrs Maisel is one of the very first shows I'm gonna go after. That, and Parks and Recreation, both on Prime!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 12:53:26 PM by MirrorMask »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2723 on: April 17, 2023, 12:23:21 PM »
You won't be disappointed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2724 on: April 17, 2023, 12:53:59 PM »
You won't be disappointed.

I know, I have not been clear enough - I already watched two seasons and I definitively wanna finish sometime!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2725 on: April 17, 2023, 01:06:58 PM »
Just started Beef on Netflix.  2 episodes in and am definitely hooked but day-um, it's bizarre AF!

I kind of like that they are 30 minute episodes too.  I can watch one here and there and take some time to process it.  I don't think this is one I could binge-watch.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: April 17, 2023, 01:37:54 PM »
I noticed they have a couple old seasons of Big Brother on netflix, I may actually watch an old season.  30 episodes will keep me entertained for awhile. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2727 on: April 17, 2023, 02:48:32 PM »
Just started Beef on Netflix.  2 episodes in and am definitely hooked but day-um, it's bizarre AF!

I kind of like that they are 30 minute episodes too.  I can watch one here and there and take some time to process it.  I don't think this is one I could binge-watch.

My kids like it and recommended it as well. I'll check it out.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2728 on: April 18, 2023, 01:24:45 PM »
I think TV creators must've helped fund COVID, because I tested positive and "promptly" banged out 1883 (AMAZING), 1923 (Pretty good), Get Back (AMAZING), and two seasons (so far) of Stranger Things (up and down; I like it enough to keep watching, but it's not the best ever. Doesn't help that I really don't like kid actors as a rule).

1883 was good, but so depressing by the end.  I really like 1923 and am happy that another season is coming.

Stranger Things is so awesome. 

I'm also enjoying the hell out of Rabbit Hole.  Keifer Sutherland is so good when it comes to this type of show, and we get Charles Dance as well!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2729 on: April 18, 2023, 01:27:52 PM »

I really enjoyed that show. Don't need a second season, but it definitely left me thinking a lot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com