Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212970 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2625 on: March 08, 2023, 07:48:57 AM »
Started Blackbird on Apple TV. Been pretty good so far. I’m three episodes in….six total episodes.

Finished this up. I'll use the word 'enjoyed' it because it was pretty good. But the material is pretty dark. Inspired by a true story which always hits a bit harder when it's 'dark' in nature. But this one is a quick watch that I don't regret investing the time in.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2626 on: March 08, 2023, 08:31:12 AM »
I watched the new Chris Rock special last night.  It was ok.  I typically like Rock and I'm sure the press showing the big finish didn't help but overall I was underwhelmed.  There were definitely some good moments.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2627 on: March 08, 2023, 08:33:12 AM »
I watched the new Chris Rock special last night.  It was ok.  I typically like Rock and I'm sure the press showing the big finish didn't help but overall I was underwhelmed.  There were definitely some good moments.
I felt the same.  Good moments, but kind of just "OK".  And honestly, the tirade against the Smiths at the end, while IMO deserved, just felt like too much time had passed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2628 on: March 08, 2023, 08:39:27 AM »
I felt the same.  Good moments, but kind of just "OK".  And honestly, the tirade against the Smiths at the end, while IMO deserved, just felt like too much time had passed.

I haven't seen the special itself (I may or may not), but I read the transcript of the final tirade and... it doesn't translate to the written word, let's say that. 

(And in my view, Chris Rock is only second to Bill Burr in terms of active stand up comics today.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2629 on: March 08, 2023, 08:41:11 AM »
I like Rock a lot.  Not sure I would elevate him to that level.

Or Burr, for that matter, although that's one funny dude.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: March 08, 2023, 08:43:14 AM »

Not a challenge, just curious:  who's better?

The thing I like about Bill Burr is, he's funny always.  Scripted in the stand up realm, improv in the stand up realm (the Philly rant is legendary), in movies (that movie with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy), and just shooting the shit (the videos with Conan O'Brien are comedy gold, Jerry.  Gold.)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2631 on: March 08, 2023, 08:46:29 AM »

The thing I like about Bill Burr is, he's funny always.  Scripted in the stand up realm, improv in the stand up realm (the Philly rant is legendary), in movies (that movie with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy), and just shooting the shit (the videos with Conan O'Brien are comedy gold, Jerry.  Gold.)

Since Robin Williams died - no one makes me laugh nonstop in comedy specials.  Marc Maron comes close for me.  I loved his latest Netflix special.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2632 on: March 08, 2023, 08:49:34 AM »
I thought the Chris Rock special was pretty hilarious. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2633 on: March 08, 2023, 08:59:09 AM »

Who's better?  I don't know about that, but I know who I like more than either of those 2.

Dave Chapelle
Brian Regan
Nate Bargatze

Those guys never fail to make me laugh.

I also think Seinfeld still has it.

I would put Burr right under them.  Rock might place higher for me if he still focused on standup as much as he used to, and stopped making films/TV.  His special Bring The Pain remains one of the funniest standup specials I've ever seen.  I still have the CD version, Roll With The New, which intersperses clips from the show with sketch material.  Hilarious.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: March 08, 2023, 12:34:32 PM »
Dave Chapelle is the wild card for me.  Don't get me wrong: I love him and think he's hilarious.  But he's reached that plateau where it's about more than just the comedy.  it's like the difference between, say, the Beach Boys and Frank Zappa.  You listen to the BB and just sit back and let them do what they do.  Zappa, well, Zappa takes work.  Is the track order a message?  How about the "random" chatter between songs. Is it?  Is it really random?  What about the artwork; is that a part of the statement?

Again, don't get me wrong; Chapelle is (or can be) hilarious.  That skit on the recent SNL where he had Mikey Day stand in for him in the skit because he was "tired" was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on that show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2635 on: March 12, 2023, 08:45:25 PM »

Shrinking

This is good.  Watched the first eight episodes in the last week.  Jason Segel has a natural likability that makes almost anything he is in worth watching.

Waiting for Yellowjackets to return on the 24th.

I hope their S1 recap is long because I don't remember much of it, lol, and I doubt I'll go back and re-watch it to prep for S2. 

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2636 on: March 12, 2023, 10:07:55 PM »
Watched this week's episode of Shrinking.

Harrison Ford becoming obsessed with Fun Dip. Really, nothing else needs to be said.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2637 on: March 14, 2023, 11:36:05 AM »
Season 2 of Perry Mason on HBO.   :metal

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2638 on: March 14, 2023, 03:11:22 PM »
Started S2 of ‘Carnival Row’ on Prime. I enjoyed the first season…..this one seems to be on par
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2639 on: March 20, 2023, 09:00:46 AM »
My daughter convinced me to start Yellowjackets on Showtime... Basically a Lord of the Flies meets Mean Girls. Good stuff so far, hilariously dark.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2640 on: March 20, 2023, 09:26:09 AM »
Finished Frasier over the weekend.  Just an incredible show - pretty much start to finish.  Looking forward to the reboot and hoping it'll be better than Mad About You.

Started 1899.  Gave up halfway through the second episode.  What a fucking slog.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: March 20, 2023, 10:34:06 AM »
The Company You Keep, with Milo Ventimiglia, and like 40 smoking hot women.  :)  I exaggerate, but his girlfriend is hot, his sister is hot, the girl he's tangling with in the Irish mob is hot... I need to hang out in Baltimore more, clearly.  ;)

It's a decent show so far.  A little cliche'd, the plots are somewhat caricatured, but the actors are good and they elevate it a bit.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2642 on: March 20, 2023, 11:29:37 AM »
My daughter convinced me to start Yellowjackets on Showtime... Basically a Lord of the Flies meets Mean Girls. Good stuff so far, hilariously dark.

I'm watching as well. New season this week! I'm pretty sure its going to get cannibalistic AF!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2643 on: March 20, 2023, 11:48:08 AM »

I'm watching as well. New season this week! I'm pretty sure its going to get cannibalistic AF!

Only 2 episodes into S1... But I'm pretty sure I'll catch up by the weekend. My kid has been relentless on this one, and she usually has outstanding tastes

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2644 on: March 20, 2023, 04:01:25 PM »

Only 2 episodes into S1... But I'm pretty sure I'll catch up by the weekend. My kid has been relentless on this one, and she usually has outstanding tastes

Its a great show! Also looking very forward to Hightown season 3.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2645 on: March 21, 2023, 07:20:37 AM »
I saw the first episode of Lucky Hank.

It's like someone created a show just for me.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2646 on: March 21, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »
+1 for Yellowjackets, loved season 1 and very excited for the new episodes.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2647 on: March 21, 2023, 02:08:23 PM »
I'm through ep5 now, fantastic show.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2648 on: March 21, 2023, 09:28:31 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand done. Damn, that was outstanding. Sucks my kid is 3 hours ahead of me and I'll have to wait till morning to bug her about it  :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2649 on: March 22, 2023, 04:48:07 AM »
Just found out there is a free trial of showtime thru our Comcast.  Watching the show Your Honor starring Bryan Cranston as a New Orleans judge.  Lots of familiar faces in the cast.

Also finished Poker Face starring Natasha Lyonne from orange is the new black and Russian doll.  This show also has a lot of guest stars you may know from other shows.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: March 22, 2023, 06:13:15 AM »
Is Poker Face any good? I've had a mixed reaction to some of the previews/trailers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2651 on: March 22, 2023, 07:27:25 AM »
Is Poker Face any good? I've had a mixed reaction to some of the previews/trailers.
I haven't started it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things.

I've heard it compared to Columbo, so take that for what it's worth.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2652 on: March 22, 2023, 10:03:29 AM »

I prefer Bad Romance, but that song is great as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2653 on: March 22, 2023, 10:12:02 AM »

I prefer Bad Romance, but that song is great as well.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: March 22, 2023, 10:38:32 AM »

So every case, she walks away, then turns around at the last minute and says "oh, just one more thing..." and solves the case completely?  :) :) :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2655 on: March 22, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »

So every case, she walks away, then turns around at the last minute and says "oh, just one more thing..." and solves the case completely?  :) :) :) :) :)

Pretty much every cop show isn't it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2656 on: March 22, 2023, 11:06:11 AM »

Perhaps.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: March 22, 2023, 11:23:58 AM »

I'm never, ever going to actually do it, for a 100 different reasons, but I can see a podcast or reality show covering my wife and watching our procedurals (we watch NCIS, FBI, FBI Most Wanted, CSI: Vegas, and the three Law and Orders; I watch FBI:International on my own).  The number of common tropes is beyond coincidence.  On any given week there is a guarantee of at least half of the following (in parens the shows that have covered this in this most recent season alone):

- One team member discovers a pill bottle or a nip on a colleague, and confronts them about their choices (NCIS, FBI, LO, LO:SVU);
- The first suspect identified is NEVER the actual perp (all of them);
- There's one cast member that checks all the diversity boxes (usually it's a lesbian woman of color) (NCIS, FBI:MW, LO:OC)
- There's at least one cast member that "doesn't follow the rules" and goes rogue (NCIS, FBI, FBI:I, FBI:MW, CSI:Vegas, LO:OC);
- There's always that one nerdy, socially awkward (and usually female) computer/technology whiz that can get facial recognition off the reflection of the perp in a city street light pole (NCIS, FBI, FBI:MW, CSI:Vegas, LO, LO:OC);
- There's the obligatory supervisor that has no interest in the day-to-day machinations, just has PR (and their own career) as a priority (FBI; FBI:I, LO, LO:SVU, LO:OC);
- Depending on the plot point, the team can either shoot the penis off a goat from a 150 yards, or couldn't hit the sky if they were pointing the gun upwards (all of them);
- For every raid, all the stars are dressed in nothing but flak jackets, and they go in first, but the remaining team is dressing like their next gig is the taking of Fallujah, with full gear (all of them);
- One of the team members inevitably finds someone to date, and within two episodes they either die or are a perp, in either case the relationship is over (NCIS; FBI; FBI:I; FBI:MW; LO:SVU; LD:OC)
- One team member catches a case that makes them confront a personal issue, and only through the distance of the case are they able to come to some reckoning with their personal life (all of them);

But I still love them.  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:21:51 AM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2658 on: March 22, 2023, 05:21:12 PM »

I'm never, ever going to actually do it, for a 100 different reasons, but I can see a podcast or reality show covering my wife and watching our procedurals (we watch NCIS, FBI, FBI Most Wanted, CSI: Vegas, and the three Law and Orders; I watch FBI:International on my own).  The number of common tropes is beyond coincidence.  On any given week there is a guarantee of at least half of the following (in parens the shows that have covered this in this most recent season alone):

- One team member discovers a pill bottle or a nip on a colleague, and confronts them about their choices (NCIS, FBI, LO, LO:SVU);
- The first suspect identified is NEVER the actual perp (all of them);
- There's one cast member that checks all the diversity boxes (usually it's a lesbian woman of color) (NCIS, FBI:MW, LO:OC)
- There's at least one cast member that "doesn't follow the rules" and goes rogue (NCIS, FBI, FBI:I, FBI:MW, CSI:Vegas, LO:OC);
- There's always that one nerdy, socially awkward (and usually female) computer/technology whiz that can get facial recognition off the reflection of the perp in a city street light pole (NCIS, FBI, FBI:MW, CSI:Vegas, LO, LO:OC);
- There's the obligatory supervisor that has no interest in the day-to-day machinations, just has PR (and their own career) as a priority (FBI; FBI:I, LO, LO:SVU, LO:OC);
- One team member catches a case that makes them confront a personal issue, and only through the distance of the case are they able to come to some reckoning with their personal life (all of them);

But I still love them.  :)

Yup all of that. L&O was the worst. Seemed like in every episode, the team is sitting around the office lamenting their progress on the case and then guess what??
The phone rings, and it's..
"What? Where?"

Case closed!

It's one of the reasons why I don't watch TV.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2659 on: March 22, 2023, 05:45:17 PM »
the three Law and Orders

I know of the original, SUV and a couple others, but are there really THREE that are still on the air??!

My wife and I stopped watching the original not long after Lenny left/retired and the lesbian ADA got fired.  Never really got into any of the spinoffs, although, at one point a few years ago, I watched about a half dozen episodes of the British version.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung