Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212876 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2555 on: January 27, 2023, 08:37:37 AM »
I believe you'd like it a lot sir.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2556 on: January 27, 2023, 08:38:56 AM »
I believe you'd like it a lot sir.
Maybe, but it's in my rear view mirror, and too many other things I want to watch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2557 on: January 27, 2023, 08:51:05 AM »
The storyline, writing and acting are worth it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2558 on: January 27, 2023, 09:25:54 AM »
The storyline, writing and acting are worth it.
All the other things I'm already missing are also worth it, and probably more in line with my current tastes.  No matter how good it is (and I've always heard good things), it's another cop/criminal show.  I know it's more complex than that, but still.  I feel like other shows I "missed" (like Mad Men or Breaking Bad) are probably better, and more worthy of my viewing.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2559 on: January 27, 2023, 09:42:22 AM »
2 I never watched myself. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #2560 on: January 27, 2023, 09:45:18 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2561 on: January 27, 2023, 09:47:28 AM »
 :lol

I know.  Commas.   :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2562 on: January 27, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »
Never watched The Shield

I watched a couple episodes back in the day.  It's really well-made, but I don't really enjoy movies/shows with criminals/bad guys as the main characters.  Same reason I don't care for Mafia-themed entertainment.  Plus, seeing The Commish as a dirty cop was disconcerting.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2563 on: January 27, 2023, 12:02:15 PM »
For new TV, I watched the first episode of Poker Face last night.  Rian Johnson and Natasha Lyonne doing a riff on the Columbo format.  Really enjoyed it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2564 on: January 27, 2023, 12:02:31 PM »
I watched The Shield season 1 several years ago, the story was good and it had some interesting characters. I had just come off watching The Wire, it was hard to get into Shield both cop shows but vastly different takes on it. The Wire was very rich in putting context  of the area, upbringing, police politics, machinations and workings where sometimes it was successful sometimes it led to dead ends. It went for the more grounded portrayal of cops.

Whereas The Shield is more entertainment oriented, nothing wrong with that just hard to get into. I might resume at some point.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline krands85

« Reply #2565 on: January 27, 2023, 06:05:15 PM »
A great thing about The Shield is it doesn't dip in quality as it goes on, like a lot of shows seem to. Almost feels like it gets better with every season and goes out on a high.

It also has some fantastic performances from guest stars to go along with the great work by the main cast.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2566 on: January 28, 2023, 08:40:20 PM »
Just watched the first 2 episodes of Shrinking. I will watch anything Bill Lawrence creates. Throw in one of my new favorites in Brett Goldstein also being a creator and writer and you have gold. Harrison Ford is also fantastic in a comedy. Loving his character in this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2567 on: January 28, 2023, 09:12:51 PM »
Juggling a few different shows now, but I just watched the BoJack episode where Sarah Lynn dies.

I think it hit me even harder watching it the second time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2568 on: January 29, 2023, 05:37:55 AM »
Finished The Sandman, as discussed in the dedicated thread.
Finished the third and final season of Derry Girls, it's gonna be missed but it's better to leave people want for more than to drag it on.
Watched the mini series Inside Man, a very wacky and unrealistic plot barely kept together by the always good David Tennant and Stanley Tucci.
Started Locklwood and Co., kids investigating the paranormal, something to pass the time I guess.
And I started the final season of Brooklyn 99, this is another show I'm definitively gonna miss but it had a fantastic run, as for Derry Girls better finishing while still going strong than going on forever.

Guess I'll also start soon The Crown, Dahmer or The Midnight Club....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2569 on: January 29, 2023, 06:01:30 AM »
If you liked Derry Girls, check out the English based show Sex Education. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2570 on: January 29, 2023, 06:37:03 AM »
If you liked Derry Girls, check out the English based show Sex Education.

Watched that as well and loved it! but I think it's time to end that as well, and I assume the cast feels the same.

Derry Girls is quite unique but if I have to think of a similar show, I'd pick The Inbetweeners before Sex Education.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2571 on: January 29, 2023, 12:15:02 PM »
Guess I'll also start ……. Dahmer…….

Ehh…if you want my unsolicited two cents……save your time and effort. More hype than substance.  If you’re really curious about it all I’d suggest just going down a YouTube rabbit hole of ‘real’ clips, interviews etc etc.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2572 on: January 29, 2023, 05:21:19 PM »
We just binged “Wednesday”. I got a very “Monster Squad” (80’s movie) vibe from it and at one point I said to my wife it was like a quirky Harry Potter/X-Men mashup. But the whole time I’m like, why is it based around Wednesday Addams? I was expecting Wednesday being put in real world situations and having weirdness based around that.

This literally could have been an original series based around weird teens without any Addams Family connection and worked just as well.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2573 on: January 30, 2023, 06:06:48 AM »
We just binged “Wednesday”. I got a very “Monster Squad” (80’s movie) vibe from it and at one point I said to my wife it was like a quirky Harry Potter/X-Men mashup. But the whole time I’m like, why is it based around Wednesday Addams? I was expecting Wednesday being put in real world situations and having weirdness based around that.

This literally could have been an original series based around weird teens without any Addams Family connection and worked just as well.

It's got great reviews though.  I really enjoyed the first season. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2574 on: January 30, 2023, 07:49:44 AM »
Haibane Renmei, a pretty interesting and unusual show by one of the creators of Serial Experiments Lain. Quite slow so far, but seems things pick up eventually, so let's see how it pans out :corn

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: January 30, 2023, 10:13:42 AM »
No one had recommended that yet, maybe!

Dirty cops, intense plotlines.  Violence, corruption.  A great cop, crime drama.

Also one of the greatest finales

My gf wasn't interested when I presented that option.  Oh well.  Honestly, I am a bit surprised of all the love here for a show I don't think a single person had ever suggested to me before.  I may watch it at some point.  But for now, we started Succession this weekend.  I'm so - so on it after 3 episodes.  I just hate everyone in the show  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2576 on: January 30, 2023, 11:20:52 AM »
Funny. with The Shield, you pull for the bad guys and question yourself for doing so.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: January 30, 2023, 02:45:11 PM »
Funny. with The Shield, you pull for the bad guys and question yourself for doing so.

That's what Sopranos was so good at.  You started to feel compassion for Tony, but you know the guy's a terrible person. That's definitely a sign of a good show and writing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2578 on: January 30, 2023, 03:08:40 PM »
Yeah, I don't care if the protagonist is a "good guy" or a "bad guy", but I need to be able to at the very least relate to them in some way, or even better to like them, at least a little.

I can't watch shows where none of the main characters are likable in any way.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2579 on: January 30, 2023, 03:39:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't care if the protagonist is a "good guy" or a "bad guy", but I need to be able to at the very least relate to them in some way, or even better to like them, at least a little.

Same, that's why I gave up on Breaking Bad, I just couldn't stand most of the characters.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2580 on: January 31, 2023, 12:45:29 PM »

But you can't go too far in the other direction, either.  I hate it when no one has any flaws, or does anything even remotely controversial because "we all have to love them!"    Big Bang Theory was like this after about the fifth season.  Two and a Half Men went in that direction after Charlie left...  BO-ring. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2581 on: January 31, 2023, 01:17:11 PM »

But you can't go too far in the other direction, either.  I hate it when no one has any flaws, or does anything even remotely controversial because "we all have to love them!"    Big Bang Theory was like this after about the fifth season.  Two and a Half Men went in that direction after Charlie left...  BO-ring.
I never liked either of those shows.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2582 on: January 31, 2023, 07:59:42 PM »
2 shows to plug:

Any true crime fans here?  We watched Murdaugh Murders - A Southern Scandal (Netflix) last week.  Alex Murdaugh is on trial right now for the murders.  Even if he is found not guilty, he will be in prison forever.  He swindled so many people out of millions of dollars over the years to fuel his opioid addiction.  Crazy story - LOTS of layers.

Almost done with season 2 of Hacks (HBO Max).  I liked season 1 (Jean Smart is sooooooo good but the secondary story is kinda meh) but am enjoying season 2 even more.  Great writing.  Smart continues to amaze me and she very much reminds me of my mom (looks and mannerisms - not the character).  They bring in some hilarious cameo roles in season 2.  Surprisingly entertaining, but you gotta give it some time to gel.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2583 on: February 01, 2023, 05:57:27 AM »
I'm 5 episodes into That 90's Show.   

I'm fine with it. It's made me laugh a lot.

I watched all 10 episodes over two nights. I really thought that they hit it out of the park. Having the first couple of episodes focus so much around the older characters really helped us to ease into the new ones. And I thought the show did a great job of maintaining the same tone of the original. I’m really liking it so far.

Wrapped this up last night.

If you asked me prior to starting this show what the likelihood of me saying "I can't wait for season 2" was, I'd have said about 5%.

All in all, I thought this was great. There were a few things that bugged me a bit, but that applies heavily to the OG series as well. I hope Netflix doesn't Netflix this one.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2584 on: February 01, 2023, 06:04:59 AM »
The Legend of Vox Machina.  Which is an animated adult Dungeons and Dragons - I'm enjoying it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2585 on: February 01, 2023, 08:18:36 AM »
Finally got around to seeing the first episode of The Last of Us last night.  That was hella good.

I will avoid the dedicated thread until I'm fully caught up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2586 on: February 01, 2023, 06:41:19 PM »
Will Trent.

I'm hooked. Love this show.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2587 on: February 03, 2023, 09:06:24 PM »
Doing a Station Eleven re-watch...forgot how absolutely exquisite this show is. So lush, rich, and layered in every way.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2588 on: February 04, 2023, 07:14:58 PM »
Doing a Station Eleven re-watch...forgot how absolutely exquisite this show is. So lush, rich, and layered in every way.

Incredible, beautiful show.....top of the class for sure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2589 on: February 04, 2023, 08:45:40 PM »
La Brea.
Mayfair Witches.