Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212940 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2520 on: January 13, 2023, 06:47:30 AM »
What we do in the Shadows, Barry, Only Murders in the Building, Brassic, The Detectorists, Ted Lasso, Ghosts, Peacemaker, Fleabag, Afterlife, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel, Mystic Quest, Wednesday, Derry Girls and Cobra Kai.......all pretty much came out in the last few years.

I'd add The Good Place to that list.

Derry Girls is excellent, as is Maisel.     

Ghosts is a weird one for me. I love the show, genuinely. I've watched the first season three times through and a bunch of the episodes more than that. I'm caught up on the second season and have watched a number of those episodes several times as well. That's by far the most "woke" show I can think of, and there are times when it's so heavy handed I can't help but cringe. Most notably Heidi finding out it's okay to masturbate, and the crew justifying Alberta ratting on that singer because she felt like society as a whole had fat shamed her out of the spot light. It just seems like the writers have a "social issues" board. They pick a different social issue for each episode and then build around that. It's fine most of the time, but there are moments when it's trying way too hard.

I got completely confused on your take on Ghosts - Then I found one out there is a US remake (so add that to the list above) which you are talking about.  I meant the original UK one.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2521 on: January 13, 2023, 06:53:55 AM »
What we do in the Shadows, Barry, Only Murders in the Building, Brassic, The Detectorists, Ted Lasso, Ghosts, Peacemaker, Fleabag, Afterlife, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel, Mystic Quest, Wednesday, Derry Girls and Cobra Kai.......all pretty much came out in the last few years.

I'd add The Good Place to that list.

Derry Girls is excellent, as is Maisel.     

Ghosts is a weird one for me. I love the show, genuinely. I've watched the first season three times through and a bunch of the episodes more than that. I'm caught up on the second season and have watched a number of those episodes several times as well. That's by far the most "woke" show I can think of, and there are times when it's so heavy handed I can't help but cringe. Most notably Heidi finding out it's okay to masturbate, and the crew justifying Alberta ratting on that singer because she felt like society as a whole had fat shamed her out of the spot light. It just seems like the writers have a "social issues" board. They pick a different social issue for each episode and then build around that. It's fine most of the time, but there are moments when it's trying way too hard.

I got completely confused on your take on Ghosts - Then I found one out there is a US remake (so add that to the list above) which you are talking about.  I meant the original UK one.

Gotcha! I watched the first season of the UK one as well and loved it. The only reason I put it on the back burner was because I thought it might spoil stuff in the US version. I'll knock that one out one day though. Great stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2522 on: January 13, 2023, 07:47:26 AM »
Can anyone think of a TV re-boot that was actually good, let alone as good as the original, let alone better than the original?  Why do networks/producers/broadcasters think this is a good idea.

As I said early Battlestar Galatica.  Lost in Space, House of Cards and The Office are certainly worth of consideration.

I'll grant you BG and LiS (though, I personally never watched either*, so I'll have to take your word).  My sense would be that they mostly benefitted from updated technology to deliver a better sci-fi product.

The latter two though wouldn't be something I'd classify as a "reboot".  HoC was just trying to continue on without Spacey; The Office was an adaptation for US audiences.

* I did watch the OG Battlestar Galactica.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2523 on: January 13, 2023, 07:50:10 AM »
Battle star is definitely not just improved tech. The story, characters, literally everything was rethought and improved. It’s definitely one of the best sci-fi dramas I’ve ever seen.

And while Lost in Space isn’t as good as BsG, it is also a huge reimagining of the original. I’m actually pretty confident it’s more unlike the original than it is like the original.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2524 on: January 13, 2023, 08:05:09 AM »
Battle star is definitely not just improved tech. The story, characters, literally everything was rethought and improved. It’s definitely one of the best sci-fi dramas I’ve ever seen.

Yep. I didn't watch it when it first came out. (never watched to OG either)  It wasn't until I kept seeing it mentioned and that it was highly regarded in this forum that I gave it a go and man.....it is just a really good series. Honestly, pretty much flawless and one of the best finales/series endings that there has been.

Because I like Sci Fi I'm sure I'll give whatever this new reboot or whatever it is a 'go' but I can't imagine they can improve on what that series produced.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2525 on: January 13, 2023, 08:22:28 AM »
Can anyone think of a TV re-boot that was actually good, let alone as good as the original, let alone better than the original?  Why do networks/producers/broadcasters think this is a good idea.

As I said early Battlestar Galatica.  Lost in Space, House of Cards and The Office are certainly worth of consideration.

I'll grant you BG and LiS (though, I personally never watched either*, so I'll have to take your word).  My sense would be that they mostly benefitted from updated technology to deliver a better sci-fi product.

The latter two though wouldn't be something I'd classify as a "reboot".  HoC was just trying to continue on without Spacey; The Office was an adaptation for US audiences.

* I did watch the OG Battlestar Galactica.

I was referring to the original House of Cards the Spacey version is the remake.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: January 13, 2023, 09:39:44 AM »
Gotcha! I watched the first season of the UK one as well and loved it. The only reason I put it on the back burner was because I thought it might spoil stuff in the US version. I'll knock that one out one day though. Great stuff.

The two shows diverge pretty wildly after the first season.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2527 on: January 13, 2023, 10:10:47 AM »

Yep. I didn't watch it when it first came out. (never watched to OG either)  It wasn't until I kept seeing it mentioned and that it was highly regarded in this forum that I gave it a go and man.....it is just a really good series. Honestly, pretty much flawless and one of the best finales/series endings that there has been.

Because I like Sci Fi I'm sure I'll give whatever this new reboot or whatever it is a 'go' but I can't imagine they can improve on what that series produced.

I just bought one of the limited edition deluxe boxsets of BSG and can't wait to dive into the whole series. I watched the miniseries that takes place before the 1st season when it was on Netflix several years ago but never got around to completing it.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: January 13, 2023, 10:53:30 AM »
I just bought one of the limited edition deluxe boxsets of BSG and can't wait to dive into the whole series. I watched the miniseries that takes place before the 1st season when it was on Netflix several years ago but never got around to completing it.

That'll be fun  :tup  I'm going to wait maybe another year or so then give it a rewatch....as mentioned....it's such a good series.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2529 on: January 16, 2023, 04:39:53 AM »
Current lineup, all on Netflix:

- Caleidoscope, about to finish (one episode missing)
- Started The Sandman
- Started Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosity
- Started the third and final season of Derry Girls
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2530 on: January 16, 2023, 06:38:36 AM »

Wasn't a huge fan.  A couple of decent stories, but several were bland and the one with Rupert Grint was just plain bad.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2531 on: January 16, 2023, 11:47:31 AM »
I’ve been extremely melancholy lately, and I thought a rewatch of Bojack Horseman would be cathartic.

I think what I love about this show is that it can hold up a mirror to the most ugly and depressing parts of both yourself and the world around you…and then somehow make you laugh at it uncontrollably.  It’s a surprisingly dense and layered show, which creates a very odd juxtaposition for an animated show about an anthropomorphic horse.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: January 16, 2023, 05:49:16 PM »

Wasn't a huge fan.  A couple of decent stories, but several were bland and the one with Rupert Grint was just plain bad.

Watched the first episode and just never really circled back to watching any others yet. Thought the first one was alright but I have to be I the right mood for that type of movie/show.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2533 on: January 18, 2023, 12:42:32 PM »
Finished up Jack Ryan.  Again, definitely fun and well made.  It just bears little, if any, resemblance to the actual character of Jack Ryan from Clancy's novels, or the films based on his novels.

Also watched season 1 of The White Lotus.  That was pretty awesome.  Should be starting season 2 soon.

Just started season 2 of Mayor of Kingstown.  Great stuff!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2535 on: January 21, 2023, 08:36:02 PM »
Did not realize I can watch Yellowstone on Peacock thru our cable provider Comcast.  Watched the first episode and it was really good.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2536 on: January 23, 2023, 09:07:37 AM »
Finished Fleishman is in Trouble. Not a bad show, though I feel each episode could be cut down 20 minutes and have the same impact.

Started White Lotus. Enjoying it so far.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2537 on: January 23, 2023, 11:29:07 PM »
Just watched ep 1 of FOX' "Accused" and it was FANTASTIC! :metal :hefdaddy  :corn

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2538 on: January 24, 2023, 04:25:29 AM »
Succession S3
The Devil’s Hour S1
The Last of Us S1

Just finished Copenhagen Cowboy, which was cool to watch in the dark. I like to have something a bit more palatable for daytime (like Succession) and then something a little bit artier or darker for nighttime viewing.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: January 24, 2023, 07:33:30 AM »
Just finished S2 of 'Vikings Vahalla'    It was 'good' but it's certainly not as compelling as the first few seasons of it's predecessor 'Vikings'. S2 seemed a little watered down actually even when compared to S1 and especially compared to the original series. 'IF' it gets a S3 (it's Netflix so could be cancelled at any moment) I'll still watch

Online pg1067

« Reply #2540 on: January 24, 2023, 02:58:46 PM »
Randomly came across this at lunch today:  https://youtu.be/0azwTiI-PhQ

SNL still pumps out good stuff.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2541 on: January 25, 2023, 06:10:37 AM »
I'm 5 episodes into That 90's Show.   

I'm fine with it. It's made me laugh a lot.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2542 on: January 25, 2023, 01:09:16 PM »
Primal
Cool animated series by the creator of Samurai Jack, will continue watching

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Seems interesting after 1 episode, and everyone hypes it a lot, so I hope it lives up to that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: January 25, 2023, 02:05:43 PM »
My gf and I will likely finish a full watch through of The Sopranos tomorrow and will need to find a new "old" show to binge through between the active series we watch.  I think we are leaning towards Succession. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2544 on: January 25, 2023, 05:11:49 PM »
I'm 5 episodes into That 90's Show.   

I'm fine with it. It's made me laugh a lot.

I watched all 10 episodes over two nights. I really thought that they hit it out of the park. Having the first couple of episodes focus so much around the older characters really helped us to ease into the new ones. And I thought the show did a great job of maintaining the same tone of the original. I’m really liking it so far.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2545 on: January 25, 2023, 10:24:05 PM »
FOXs ACCUSED is 2 for 2! :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2546 on: January 26, 2023, 06:33:46 AM »
My gf and I will likely finish a full watch through of The Sopranos tomorrow and will need to find a new "old" show to binge through between the active series we watch.  I think we are leaning towards Succession.

The Shield? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2547 on: January 26, 2023, 08:51:16 AM »

The Shield?

I second, "The Shield."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2548 on: January 26, 2023, 10:35:08 AM »
No one had recommended that yet, maybe!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: January 26, 2023, 11:03:41 AM »

Dirty cops, intense plotlines.  Violence, corruption.  A great cop, crime drama. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2550 on: January 26, 2023, 12:14:15 PM »

Dirty cops, intense plotlines.  Violence, corruption.  A great cop, crime drama.

Also one of the greatest finales

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2551 on: January 26, 2023, 01:40:42 PM »

Also one of the greatest finales

This.

I'm usually prone to identify bad acting before good, but this is one of those shows where the acting is just through the roof.  Walton Goggins is just otherworldly.   Almost every scene you can FEEL the frustration with Jay Karnes' character.   Watching Kenny Johnson and David Rees Snell slowly come to realize what shit storm they're really in...   I may even go back and watch it again, myself, frankly.  It's not the best show ever (that's The Sopranos for me) but it might be the first show where I realized that regular television (The Shield was on FX, The Sopranos was on HBO) could compete.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2552 on: January 26, 2023, 08:52:12 PM »
The Shield was one of the first shows I binged during the pandemic, fan-freaking-tastic. And when you're done with that and want more Walter Goggins you can hop over to Justified :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: January 27, 2023, 05:27:44 AM »
Again, I second Justified. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2554 on: January 27, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »
Never watched The Shield
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.