Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212878 times)

Online SoundscapeMN

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2485 on: December 28, 2022, 01:29:31 PM »
just finished Silicon Valley

looking to resume:

Man in the High Castle
12 Monkeys (Se2)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2486 on: December 28, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »
looking to resume:

Man in the High Castle
12 Monkeys (Se2)

Two great series  :tup    I consider 12 Monkeys one of the best series I've ever watched....and easily in the top three in the Sci Fi realm. Such a good show and a near perfect ending to the series.

Man In the High Castle is really good as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2487 on: December 31, 2022, 02:14:14 AM »
Finished season 2 of The White Lotus. Excellent. Binged 4 hours of it in one go, which is only the second time we've done that (the first being Battlestar Galactica years ago).

It's a slow, people-focussed drama. Incredibly good casting and acting.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2488 on: December 31, 2022, 01:29:06 PM »
Finished season 2 of The White Lotus. Excellent. Binged 4 hours of it in one go, which is only the second time we've done that (the first being Battlestar Galactica years ago).

Enjoyed it too. I thought it was MUCH better than the first season.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2489 on: January 03, 2023, 04:29:43 PM »

Enjoyed it too. I thought it was MUCH better than the first season.

I enjoyed them about the same, I think. I'd give S2 the crown as the tension was higher. There were things I loved in both, tho. Armond in S1 was just glorious to watch.

The tone of the two seasons was surprisingly different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2490 on: January 07, 2023, 02:18:28 PM »
I watched both seasons of White Lotus as well in the last week!

What a wild ride. That actor who played Armond (whose voice I recognized from a Sex and the City episode like 20 years ago :lol) did a phenomenal job in Season 1, and I actually thought Season 2 was a slight upgrade overall. Both seasons were great, though. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: January 07, 2023, 05:58:11 PM »
Guess I have to get in on this ‘White Lotus’. Lots of good feedback from a lot of folks.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2492 on: January 08, 2023, 01:15:47 AM »

What a wild ride. That actor who played Armond (whose voice I recognized from a Sex and the City episode like 20 years ago :lol) did a phenomenal job in Season 1, and I actually thought Season 2 was a slight upgrade overall. Both seasons were great, though. 

Nice. Tom Hollander, Jack and Portia were great S2 late treats. Not seen the British actor before but loved his young English blokey bloke character. An unusual type for this kind of show and came across as 100 percent authentic, afaic.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2493 on: January 08, 2023, 01:18:44 AM »
We just watched Mare of Easttown over the last week. Another class example of great TV! Kate Winslet was unbelievable in it.

I must be due a batch of disappointing mediocrity for the next little while after striking gold with these last two shows.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2494 on: January 08, 2023, 07:53:41 PM »
Well, it was an ugly weather day, and I really didn't feel like watching a lot of football, so I took the above recommendation and watched all of Mare of Easttown today!  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Very good, for sure. I thought the ending was a bit too zig-zaggy with the fake-outs and eventual reveal, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Kate Winslet is a treasure and was terrific in this.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: January 09, 2023, 11:22:20 AM »

I really enjoyed both seasons as well.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2496 on: January 10, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
Season 3 of Jack Ryan on prime.  This season has the pedal to the medal every single episode, just like the middle seasons of 24 did - tons pf edge of your seat action!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2497 on: January 11, 2023, 11:28:12 PM »
On a whim, the wife and I saw Frasier on Hulu and decided to put it on as a background show for when we wanted something familiar on that didn’t demand our full attention.

I was struck by how great the show is from episode 1. With most shows (and even with spin offs) the 1st season can be a “finding your feet” venture. Kelsey Grammar having his character down was perfectly expected, but considering everyone else is a totally new character, the whole show takes off like they’ve all been doing it forever.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2498 on: January 12, 2023, 05:53:43 AM »
On a whim, the wife and I saw Frasier on Hulu and decided to put it on as a background show for when we wanted something familiar on that didn’t demand our full attention.

I was struck by how great the show is from episode 1. With most shows (and even with spin offs) the 1st season can be a “finding your feet” venture. Kelsey Grammar having his character down was perfectly expected, but considering everyone else is a totally new character, the whole show takes off like they’ve all been doing it forever.

Agreed. The chemistry between all the characters seemed instantaneous, and while it has been a while since I've watched the pilot, I remember Frasier and Martin having a pretty heated argument in it, and I recall loving the fact that the show went for such a dramatic moment right out of the gate.  Yes, it was a sitcom, and laughs are needed, but moments like that really elevate the overall product.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2499 on: January 12, 2023, 07:02:50 AM »
Season 3 of Jack Ryan on prime.  This season has the pedal to the medal every single episode, just like the middle seasons of 24 did - tons pf edge of your seat action!

I kind of miss that about 24.  It was a cartoon, a comic book, but it was a very very good comic book (it helps I really like Keifer Sutherland). 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: January 12, 2023, 07:13:55 AM »

Agreed. The chemistry between all the characters seemed instantaneous, and while it has been a while since I've watched the pilot, I remember Frasier and Martin having a pretty heated argument in it, and I recall loving the fact that the show went for such a dramatic moment right out of the gate.  Yes, it was a sitcom, and laughs are needed, but moments like that really elevate the overall product.

Read an article that said this reboot of Fraiser is probably going to be a train wreck. They called all the writers that have been hired 'Z List' and said none of the original cast characters outside of Fraiser will be back.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2501 on: January 12, 2023, 09:33:35 AM »
ANY sitcom reboot is going to be a train wreck.  I hate the word, but it works here.  "Woke" culture has killed the sitcom.  Shows like Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, etc. simply could not be made today.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2502 on: January 12, 2023, 10:31:08 AM »
ANY sitcom reboot is going to be a train wreck.  I hate the word, but it works here.  "Woke" culture has killed the sitcom.  Shows like Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, etc. simply could not be made today.

Archie Bunker?  NEVER AGAIN will we see a character like this!!  That show was growndbreaking!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 11:43:28 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2503 on: January 12, 2023, 11:10:35 AM »

Bullshit.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2504 on: January 12, 2023, 12:35:10 PM »

i'd say any reboot is going to be a train wreck because they usually suck.  Most people lose interest in a reboot fairly quickly.  It will never be the original and the younger people aren't going to give a fuck about it.  Some people will enjoy it for the nostalgia but that'll end quickly.  I didn't watch Frasier but if it's main point was off the cuff type of jokes, then yea, it may also suffer from woke culture. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2505 on: January 12, 2023, 02:01:45 PM »

Bullshit.

He's not entirely wrong, and it's not just sitcoms.  They rebooted Quantum Leap, and it's a diversity home run, except the show blows. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2506 on: January 12, 2023, 03:48:06 PM »
The morons that complain everything is woke these days would have tried to kill off the Battlestar remake with review bombing as soon as they found out Starbuck and Boomer were now females.  Thankfully that show got out made before angry YouTubers and their sheep followers were a thing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2507 on: January 12, 2023, 04:15:19 PM »
It's not so much an issue with the box checking that pervades casting these days (we've got to have a black person and a Hispanic and an Asian person and at least one of them has to be gay - see, e.g., How I Met Your Father) as it is with humor.  Television humor is neutered to the point that content creators are so concerned with offending someone that their humor is unnatural and forced (and, hence, generally not funny).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: January 12, 2023, 06:34:53 PM »
That's in real life too. You can't joke these days.  You have to temper what you say.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2509 on: January 12, 2023, 06:38:00 PM »
"Wokeness" is why there are very few comedic films anymore.  It used to be that there'd be a handful of hilarious films every year that "everyone" saw. You know, those funny films that people at work, friends, etc. talked about.  "You have to see this!"  Those comedies no longer exist in the film world, and it's obviously because filmmakers are afraid to make them for fear of offending someone and being on the receiving end of some stupid Twitter-fueled backlash.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2510 on: January 12, 2023, 06:41:15 PM »
It's not so much an issue with the box checking that pervades casting these days (we've got to have a black person and a Hispanic and an Asian person and at least one of them has to be gay - see, e.g., How I Met Your Father) as it is with humor.  Television humor is neutered to the point that content creators are so concerned with offending someone that their humor is unnatural and forced (and, hence, generally not funny).

I'd say that's only true for stuff on cable and certain streaming services.  HBO leaves nothing on the table - Curb, Silicon Valley, Veep, East Bound and Down, Righteous Gemstones, etc.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2511 on: January 12, 2023, 08:28:50 PM »
What we do in the Shadows, Barry, Only Murders in the Building, Brassic, The Detectorists, Ted Lasso, Ghosts, Peacemaker, Fleabag, Afterlife, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel, Mystic Quest, Wednesday, Derry Girls and Cobra Kai.......all pretty much came out in the last few years.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 01:11:55 AM by soupytwist »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2512 on: January 13, 2023, 05:38:58 AM »
What we do in the Shadows, Barry, Only Murders in the Building, Brassic, The Detectorists, Ted Lasso, Ghosts, Peacemaker, Fleabag, Afterlife, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel, Mystic Quest, Wednesday, Derry Girls and Cobra Kai.......all pretty much came out in the last few years.

I'd add The Good Place to that list.

Derry Girls is excellent, as is Maisel.     

Ghosts is a weird one for me. I love the show, genuinely. I've watched the first season three times through and a bunch of the episodes more than that. I'm caught up on the second season and have watched a number of those episodes several times as well. That's by far the most "woke" show I can think of, and there are times when it's so heavy handed I can't help but cringe. Most notably Heidi finding out it's okay to masturbate, and the crew justifying Alberta ratting on that singer because she felt like society as a whole had fat shamed her out of the spot light. It just seems like the writers have a "social issues" board. They pick a different social issue for each episode and then build around that. It's fine most of the time, but there are moments when it's trying way too hard.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2513 on: January 13, 2023, 05:44:05 AM »
Can anyone think of a TV re-boot that was actually good, let alone as good as the original, let alone better than the original?  Why do networks/producers/broadcasters think this is a good idea.

Oh, and I see that Netflix is about to release "That 90s Show", with only the parents returning (by the looks of things).  My desire to see that is only slightly above a ghost-pepper enema.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2514 on: January 13, 2023, 05:48:54 AM »
Can anyone think of a TV re-boot that was actually good, let alone as good as the original, let alone better than the original?

Poldark.... Doctor Who for the most part.

I'm very much looking forward to That 90s Show. I'm ready to have my heart broken though.   
Here's the trailer if anyone wants to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36HBFGxWkg

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2515 on: January 13, 2023, 05:51:43 AM »
Can anyone think of a TV re-boot that was actually good, let alone as good as the original, let alone better than the original?

I don't actually consider Dr. Who "re-boots"... just extensions of the idea.  Now, I've never really been 'in' to it, but none of the different iterations strike me as "trying to recapture the magic of the original".  I've always thought it was just continuing the essence with a new actor as the Doctor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: January 13, 2023, 05:53:27 AM »
Not only the parents. All the original kids minus Hyde with make appearances.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2517 on: January 13, 2023, 05:55:16 AM »

I don't actually consider Dr. Who "re-boots"... just extensions of the idea.  Now, I've never really been 'in' to it, but none of the different iterations strike me as "trying to recapture the magic of the original".  I've always thought it was just continuing the essence with a new actor as the Doctor.

That's totally fair.

Not only the parents. All the original kids minus Hyde with make appearances.

They're just in the first episode I believe. I'm in it for Red and Kitty though. They're one of my favorite TV couples.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2518 on: January 13, 2023, 06:06:00 AM »
Red and Kitty are awesome for sure, but even the original show went downhill late when Grace and Kutcher left the series (making only limited appearances in the last season).  I am sure I will check out the 90s Show out of mere curiosity, but I'll be surprised if it's good enough to keep me watching past an episode or two. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2519 on: January 13, 2023, 06:38:35 AM »
Can anyone think of a TV re-boot that was actually good, let alone as good as the original, let alone better than the original?  Why do networks/producers/broadcasters think this is a good idea.

As I said early Battlestar Galatica.  Lost in Space, House of Cards and The Office are certainly worth of consideration. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 06:47:49 AM by soupytwist »