Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212819 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2380 on: September 20, 2022, 08:37:42 AM »
Watched the first episode of the Quantum Leap reboot. Umm…..yeah. Out of adoration for the original show I’ll stick with it for a bit but man…..

Loved the original and in theory it should be simple enough to recreate, what was wrong with it?  Bad chemistry from the leads?

One example would be there was a scene where two actors were in a car. It was filmed like an episode of Saved by the Bell where there was probably a small 'car' set and a cheap green screen behind them showing passing scenery. Horribly executed....the same background shots behind them just on a loop.....looked like a film school students first semester project. Same could be said about this shows 'Al' standing in the imaging chamber.....looked SO bad. I would just think that NBC has the money to spend to make it at least 'look' good.

And it was only one episode but the main cast is still a HUGE question mark. I just don't see this show even coming close to capturing the 'feel' or 'vibe' of the original. Not that it should replicate it across the board but the chemistry of Sam and Al made the original show great along with Bakula being a genuinely likeable guy.... and although it's only one episode....I don't think they're going to be able to match that at all with this cast.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: September 20, 2022, 08:39:22 AM »
Lead didn't seem very charismatic, which is really what the show needs. The set up is brilliant and could go on forever, but you NEED two charismatic leads with great chemistry or it all falls apart.

It's only been one episode but....he's not. It felt gimmicky and there was zero chemistry between him and this shows 'Al'.....and the actress playing her was just as non charismatic. Big question marks across the board with the main cast selections.

If I had to bet....I wouldn't see this getting picked up for a S2 just based off of the one episode.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2382 on: September 20, 2022, 09:02:21 AM »
I used to love Quantum Leap; I looked up the actors to see if I knew any of them and to me it looks more like it's an ad for a modeling agency.  Looks more like box-checking than anything that I might want to get engrossed in.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2383 on: September 20, 2022, 09:06:40 AM »
Doesn't even look like it's been shown anywhere in the UK - including streaming sites, which is odd as the original was massive here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2384 on: September 20, 2022, 09:17:10 AM »
I never liked the original, so no way will I catch this reboot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: September 20, 2022, 09:32:06 AM »

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2386 on: September 20, 2022, 09:32:30 AM »
SOMEONE HAS HACKED HEFS ACCOUNT!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2387 on: September 20, 2022, 10:15:39 AM »
I used to love Quantum Leap; I looked up the actors to see if I knew any of them and to me it looks more like it's an ad for a modeling agency.  Looks more like box-checking than anything that I might want to get engrossed in.

Sigh...yep.  I might check it out solely for having a 6'5" Australian former women's volleyball player in a lead role.  But just looking at the Wikipedia page, it doesn't look promising.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2388 on: September 20, 2022, 10:25:56 AM »

I second what Hef says. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2389 on: September 20, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »

Oh Boy..

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2390 on: September 20, 2022, 10:55:10 AM »
Started The Looming Towers on Hulu, dramatic miniseries about the hunt for Osama before 9/11. Very good so far.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2391 on: September 20, 2022, 01:13:00 PM »

BLASPHEMY!!!!
I can assure you, this is not blasphemy.

SOMEONE HAS HACKED HEFS ACCOUNT!!
Nah.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: September 20, 2022, 06:54:50 PM »
I found out about this new Quantum Leap a few days ago. I was a big fan of the original, and watched it regularly, though for reasons I have forgotten did not watch much of the last season. I do, however, remember watching the finale when it aired. I liked how they could bounce between a serious, dramatic episode to one that was more fun and quirky. I always thought Scott Bakula was a bit... hammy(?) in the role, but it never detracted from my enjoyment. Dean Stockwell was aces, and yes if their relationship didn't work then the whole show falls apart.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2393 on: September 21, 2022, 08:10:28 PM »
Powering through these now

The Rings of Power
House of The Dragon
Atlanta - Season 4
The Handmaid's Tale - season 5
Andor
The Witcher - season 2
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: September 26, 2022, 09:43:47 PM »
Lead didn't seem very charismatic, which is really what the show needs. The set up is brilliant and could go on forever, but you NEED two charismatic leads with great chemistry or it all falls apart.

It's only been one episode but....he's not. It felt gimmicky and there was zero chemistry between him and this shows 'Al'.....and the actress playing her was just as non charismatic. Big question marks across the board with the main cast selections.

If I had to bet....I wouldn't see this getting picked up for a S2 just based off of the one episode.

Watched Ep. 2 and well…….it wasn’t horrible. They’re definitely splitting the time between where Ben has leaped and what’s going on back in current time…..two storylines going on. That’s the major difference. My issue is they’ve yet to address or show the person this Ben has leaped into in the current timeline.

So the show is  trying to get its footing and establish its own identity rather than just rehash the original so I give them props for that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: September 29, 2022, 08:09:07 AM »
So, not sexy and not hip, but my wife and I watched the first two (of three) parts of the Law & Order franchise season opener, a cross-over of all three series.  I generally hate crossovers (NCIS just did one with NCIS Hawaii, and it's nauseating, in part becuase I watch one - NCIS - and despise the other - NCIS Hawaii) but this one is SO well done.  I'm loving it so far.  The three have blended pretty good so far, and I have to say, the acting on those series has gone to such a great level. Jeffrey Donovan is stellar, Chris Meloni is his usual strong self, and Mariska Hargitay is just so freaking good (I have written this before, but that's a woman that simply gets more and more attractive the older she gets). 

I thought I was going to miss Anthony Anderson, but nope; Mechad Brooks is great.  Really psyched for the seasons (though I'm getting the vibe that one of my favorite characters - and actresses - is not long for the show). 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2396 on: October 02, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
I'm on season 2 of Parks and Recreation and yeah, it definitively found its own pace and stride since season 1. Lot of funny episodes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2397 on: October 09, 2022, 12:18:48 PM »
Currently watching:
The Rookie and The Rookie: Feds
Rings of Power
Blindspot
The Blacklist (finally getting around to season 9)
Andor
House (finally getting around to this show)
She-Hulk
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2398 on: October 09, 2022, 01:02:31 PM »
Currently watching:

I haven't started with the new season of The Rookie, but I'm not planning on watching Feds.  I thought the episode where they introduced that character was just plain bad.  How is it?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #2399 on: October 09, 2022, 01:31:45 PM »
Currently watching:

I haven't started with the new season of The Rookie, but I'm not planning on watching Feds.  I thought the episode where they introduced that character was just plain bad.  How is it?
It has a very similar style and humor to The Rookie (same show runners) and it has a lot of cameos and crossovers to the original show. I don't really like the main character (she can be quite obnoxious), but a lot of the other characters are pretty good. It definitely isn't as great as the original though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2400 on: October 09, 2022, 06:44:34 PM »
-So Help Me Todd (CBS), best new show of the Fall for me, especially per my love of the show Psych
-Reboot (Hulu)..not bad, although not being all that into Modern Family, it does have a little bit a similar feel per it's from the same person
-Silicon Valley (HBOMAX), on Season 2, I slept on it for awhile, but better late than never especially per my Mike Judge fandom
-Call Me Kat Season 3..unsure, but the show needs to pickup as I'm not sure it's even been as good as last season, and last season was hit and miss. Mayim does have the Jeopardy gig anyway
-Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime)..slept on this as well. Still on Season 1
-12 Monkeys (HULU) . On Season 2

upcoming:
-Dead to Me Season 3 (Netflix), the final season. Pretty excited for this. NOVEMBER
-Blockbuster (Netflix) Randall Park stars as someone who works at the last Blockbuster Video store. ironic, how Netflix kind of killed BB and now there's a show on their streaming service about that. NOVEMBER
-Party Down reunion (STARZ...no Lizzy Caplan sadly,  but still looking fwd to it next year.

still planning on a temporary Paramount+ free trial for Beavis
Also looking to checkout For All Mankind on Apple+ soon.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2401 on: October 10, 2022, 01:20:01 PM »
Anyone else ever check out a show called The Bear? Having worked in a kitchen, that show is just one punch in the nuts after the next. It's so well done.   

RJ, I think you'd dig it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2402 on: October 10, 2022, 01:22:52 PM »
House of the Dragon
Walking Dead
Interview with The Vampire
Andor
She Hulk
All 3 Law & Order shows
Lord of the Rings

Just started The Midnight Club on Netflix too.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: October 10, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »
House of the Dragon
See
Dahmer (on Netflix)
The Walking Dead
Lord of the Rings on AMAZON
Andor
Ink Master on Paramount

Meant to start Interview with the Vampire but realize now that it's a few episodes in. Also been meaning to dive into Yellowstone

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: October 11, 2022, 07:17:29 AM »
House of the Dragon
Walking Dead
Interview with The Vampire
Andor
She Hulk
All 3 Law & Order shows
Lord of the Rings

Just started The Midnight Club on Netflix too.

I've said it before, but while it's not the Sopranos, let's not get crazy, the Law and Order series has been on a consistent high note this year and the last year or two before that.   Really enjoying it.  Contrast that with NCIS, which I watch because... not sure why I watch.  It's caricature now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2405 on: October 11, 2022, 07:19:14 AM »
Anyone else ever check out a show called The Bear? Having worked in a kitchen, that show is just one punch in the nuts after the next. It's so well done.   

Oh yes, it's been discussed here.  Pretty sure RJ binged all the episodes the day they dropped lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2406 on: October 12, 2022, 06:22:15 AM »
So I used to watch Newhart reruns in the 90s, very funny show. But I had never seen the ORIGINAL Bob Newhart show from the 70s. Had heard about it of course. Finally my wife and are I watching it on Hulu and man what a great show. Terrific ensemble. Suzanne Pleshette was a cutie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2407 on: October 12, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
So I used to watch Newhart reruns in the 90s, very funny show. But I had never seen the ORIGINAL Bob Newhart show from the 70s. Had heard about it of course. Finally my wife and are I watching it on Hulu and man what a great show. Terrific ensemble. Suzanne Pleshette was a cutie.
Great stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2408 on: October 12, 2022, 10:33:33 AM »

That show was so much fun. I never watched the original one might check it out on Hulu.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2409 on: October 12, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
Rings of Power (Would say I'm enjoying it. Has some flaws and it's not LOTR-trilogy level but feels entertaining enough to watch)
House of the Dragon (kinda powering through it. not bad but i've lost interest in the last few episodes and it just feels like every week it's the same old rape, incest and backstabbing)
Better Call Saul (just finished S3, can't wait to watch the rest!)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2410 on: October 12, 2022, 11:19:19 AM »
Great stuff.

For sure.  I watched it in syndication when I was in high school, so I'm not sure I've seen every episode.  Maybe I'll give it a spin at some point.  Jack Riley as Mr. Carlin stole pretty much every scene he was in, but the whole cast was fantastic.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2411 on: October 12, 2022, 02:40:17 PM »

Yes The Bear is excellent. Highly recommended.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2412 on: October 12, 2022, 05:18:58 PM »

That show was so much fun. I never watched the original one might check it out on Hulu.

Trust me, you’ll like it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: October 13, 2022, 06:58:29 AM »
You find the best pictures of Elizabeth Olsen, I have to give you that.   :) :)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2414 on: October 13, 2022, 07:19:01 AM »

Oh yes, it's been discussed here.  Pretty sure RJ binged all the episodes the day they dropped lol

Wrapped it up last night. Phenomenal show.