Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 213097 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1750 on: November 10, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »
OK, now I'm not watching it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1751 on: November 10, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1752 on: November 14, 2021, 08:59:10 PM »
Starting a rewatch of A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Some things are good enough to revisit. Not everything has to be “the new thing”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1753 on: November 15, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »
So last night, after Yellowstone, the Paramount Network debuted the first episode of the new series Mayor of Kingstown, which thereafter will be streaming on Paramount +.

I liked it quite a bit, although they pimped it so much during Yellowstone that it was almost off-putting.

There was also quite the shocking turn of events in the episode, that I can't talk about without spoiling it, which I won't do in case anyone else is interested in watching it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1754 on: November 20, 2021, 09:04:54 AM »
Been following both Foundation and Invasion, two great shows so apple is delivering right now. I love how mysterious the whole show is despite being 8 episodes in. I'm really hooked, almost a bit more than I was with Foundation.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1755 on: November 20, 2021, 01:21:26 PM »
Been following both Foundation and Invasion, two great shows so apple is delivering right now. I love how mysterious the whole show is despite being 8 episodes in. I'm really hooked, almost a bit more than I was with Foundation.

Same here. Loved the first season of Foundation. Really well done, great story and characters, production value is that of any major feature film. The only thing that sucked about it was that there weren’t 10 more episodes to watch. Can’t wait for S2.

Am digging the heck out of Invasion as well. Same reasons. Great story and strong characters and I like how they are telling the story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1756 on: November 20, 2021, 07:14:20 PM »
Narcos: Mexico Season 3 came out recently on Netflix, finished it up what seems like the end of the Mexico saga. It's got the same vibe as the 3rd season of the main Narcos show set in Colombia where things change quite a bit from a narrative point of view. I honestly really enjoyed it, I didn't mind the slower pace and somewhat piece-meal offering of story arcs. Only complaint was the narrator, I think she really broke the flow of the show, I'm assuming it was the same actress that plays the journalist. Either her character was badly written or the actress wasn't very good. That was the only real downside. Scoot McNairy is one of my favorite actors. He's great in every show or movie I've seen him in. I thought his story arc this season was excellent.

From what I gather, my opinion is in the minority, most seem to be indifferent or downright loathe the final season. Many seem to complain about the incompleteness of the show's characters and arcs compared to real life. I didn't mind at all, they came to a reasonable stopping point I thought.

Don't know if there are any more Narcos being filmed, all in all I enjoyed all six seasons of the two Narcos shows.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1757 on: November 21, 2021, 07:06:16 PM »
Finished Invincible, season 1. Great show, better than what I expected honestly
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1758 on: November 21, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »
I just started watching Young Sheldon.  I had previously watched the pilot and was unimpressed, so I didn't continue.  However, I decided to give it more of a shot.

Sheldon is a fairly annoying character, and a lot of his annoyingness is exacerbated by having a 10-year old kid play the character (although there are a few parts of him that are more endearing because he's a kid).  However, the supporting cast is excellent.  Every member of his family is perfectly cast.  Annie Potts plays his grandmother ("meemaw").  She's sarcastic and hilarious.  Sheldon's mother (who appeared with some regularity in TBBT, with Laurie Metcalf playing the role) is played by Laurie Metcalf's daughter, Zoe Perry.  She plays the part so well.  One of the underrated stars is the girl who plays Sheldon's twin sister Missy.

All-in-all, if you liked TBBT, I'd recommend giving it a shot.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1759 on: November 22, 2021, 07:33:45 AM »
I just started watching Young Sheldon.  I had previously watched the pilot and was unimpressed, so I didn't continue.  However, I decided to give it more of a shot.

Sheldon is a fairly annoying character, and a lot of his annoyingness is exacerbated by having a 10-year old kid play the character (although there are a few parts of him that are more endearing because he's a kid).  However, the supporting cast is excellent.  Every member of his family is perfectly cast.  Annie Potts plays his grandmother ("meemaw").  She's sarcastic and hilarious.  Sheldon's mother (who appeared with some regularity in TBBT, with Laurie Metcalf playing the role) is played by Laurie Metcalf's daughter, Zoe Perry.  She plays the part so well.  One of the underrated stars is the girl who plays Sheldon's twin sister Missy.

All-in-all, if you liked TBBT, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Sorry, PG, I usually agree with you, but on my local station, I have the news and then sitcoms; it used to be Two And A Half Men, but about three weeks ago they switched to The Young Sheldon.   It's excruciating.  I can't get through it.  He's SOO annoying, and in the couple episodes I've watched, the supporting cast just didn't rise above.  I don't really like child actors anyway, but this is just everything I hate about kids on TV/movies (Home Alone is one of my least favorite movies of all time). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1760 on: November 22, 2021, 06:18:27 PM »
I don't really like child actors anyway.

I mean...yeah...that's hard to overcome.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1761 on: November 23, 2021, 05:42:13 PM »
Cowboy Bebop (both: animation -e20- and live action -e01-)
Tales from the Loop
Good Omens
Doom Patrol (s03)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1762 on: November 25, 2021, 12:34:22 PM »
Just finished the 5-part miniseries Chernobyl.

Highly recommended ... makes one think of what might've been happening in Wuhan, China during the outbreak of the covid crisis.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline krands85

« Reply #1763 on: November 25, 2021, 06:23:54 PM »

Highly recommended ... makes one think of what might've been happening in Wuhan, China during the outbreak of the covid crisis.
Incredible television, I need to give it a rewatch soon.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1764 on: November 25, 2021, 09:09:52 PM »
Anyone see the first episode of Get Back? There were some gems, but it’s so far a bit of a slog.

It looks gorgeous, and it’s hard to believe that they were at this point and not even 30 years old yet. But I’m not finding every moment all that riveting.

I’ll probably finish it anyway. The rare gems seem to be worth it.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1765 on: November 26, 2021, 12:26:11 AM »
Narcos: Mexico Season 3 came out recently on Netflix, finished it up what seems like the end of the Mexico saga. It's got the same vibe as the 3rd season of the main Narcos show set in Colombia where things change quite a bit from a narrative point of view. I honestly really enjoyed it, I didn't mind the slower pace and somewhat piece-meal offering of story arcs. Only complaint was the narrator, I think she really broke the flow of the show, I'm assuming it was the same actress that plays the journalist. Either her character was badly written or the actress wasn't very good. That was the only real downside. Scoot McNairy is one of my favorite actors. He's great in every show or movie I've seen him in. I thought his story arc this season was excellent.

From what I gather, my opinion is in the minority, most seem to be indifferent or downright loathe the final season. Many seem to complain about the incompleteness of the show's characters and arcs compared to real life. I didn't mind at all, they came to a reasonable stopping point I thought.

Don't know if there are any more Narcos being filmed, all in all I enjoyed all six seasons of the two Narcos shows.

I just finished season 3 too and really enjoyed it. As you said, it was a return to the style of the first Narcos series, which I was pleased to see, as season 2 of The Mexico series was excruciatingly slow at times.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1766 on: November 26, 2021, 01:18:58 AM »

Oh man you're preaching to the converted with me! absolutely amazing and fantastic miniseries, one of the very best of its kind. Wonderful and gut-wrenching series through and through.

Copying and pasting from when they discuss trying to avoid even bigger disasters after the initial meltdown:

Valery Legasov : But... we may have a solution. We can [do this and that]. Of course we will need your permission.
Mikhail Gorbachev : My permission for what?
Valery Legasov : Uh, the water in the ducts... the level of radioactive contamination...
Ulana Khomyuk : They'll likely be dead in a week.
Valery Legasov : We're asking for your permission to kill three men.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1767 on: November 29, 2021, 08:24:41 AM »
We started a rewatch of ER not long after the pandemic started, during the lockdown period.

We just started the final season, # 15.  When it was at its peak, ER was as good as or better than anything else on TV at the time.  Seasons 14 and 15 are not that peak.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1768 on: November 30, 2021, 06:04:59 PM »
I recently finished watching season 2 of War of The Worlds. It’s a joint British-French production and is very well done. Based on the ending of the final episode I though this was the series finale, but apparently there is a third season coming.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1769 on: December 10, 2021, 06:48:38 PM »
Just finished Invasion....

*spoilers*
holy shit did the finale end with the mother of all cliffhangers. That was just awesome! :omg:

Episode 9 made me almost lose my interest for various reasons so this was a bit of a nice surprise.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: December 12, 2021, 05:06:25 PM »
Just finished Invasion....

*spoilers*
holy shit did the finale end with the mother of all cliffhangers. That was just awesome! :omg:

Episode 9 made me almost lose my interest for various reasons so this was a bit of a nice surprise.

I have to say……REALLY good show and I loved how they ended it. Very daring and it fits the show perfectly.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1771 on: December 13, 2021, 03:43:45 AM »
My current Netflix lineup:

- Finished Sex Education 3. Not as good as the first two but still enjoyable.
- Started Lock & Key 2 and Atypical 4 (one of the best shows on Netflix).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: December 13, 2021, 04:27:46 AM »

That was a really good series

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: December 13, 2021, 06:28:08 AM »
So, my wife and I watch a lot of procedurals - both Law and Orders, all three FBI's, NCIS, Bull - and while we know they suck (not an episode goes by where we don't either say "wow, that's NOT how it happens", or I predict like 30% of the dialogue) the arcs are interesting and sort of suck us in. 

But I have to say, there are flashes of brilliance; I'm a HUGE Mark "Leroy Jethro Gibbs" Harmon fan, and was sort of bummed when I heard he was not going to be in the full season this year, but Gary Cole has done a magnificent job of both keeping it interesting but not being a Gibbs clone.   NCIS is a great example of how a show can turn over EVERY major character (except maybe McGee) and yet still survive/thrive.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1774 on: December 13, 2021, 07:14:53 AM »
I like that he's trying to force technology on his team.  They are so used to Gibbs anti technology that they are actually fighting it.  Then he forgets to hit send like all us old guys do. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: December 13, 2021, 07:31:32 AM »
I like that he's trying to force technology on his team.  They are so used to Gibbs anti technology that they are actually fighting it.  Then he forgets to hit send like all us old guys do. :lol

Haha, that was funny wasn't it?   :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1776 on: December 13, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »
We finished CSI:Vegas last night.  It was set up for a sequel with the last scene, so we'll see what happens.

It was definitely not the best 10 episodes of CSI I ever saw, but it was great fun to see Gil and Sarah in action again.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1777 on: December 13, 2021, 01:10:35 PM »
Back when season five of The Expanse first came out, it had been so long since season four that we were lost for a while before we started figuring things out. Now it seems like forever since season five came out. So this time we figured that before we watched season six, we would start from the beginning and binge watch the whole thing. We’re almost to the end of season one and there is so much I had forgotten.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: December 13, 2021, 01:17:16 PM »
We finished CSI:Vegas last night.  It was set up for a sequel with the last scene, so we'll see what happens.

It was definitely not the best 10 episodes of CSI I ever saw, but it was great fun to see Gil and Sarah in action again.

I enjoyed that as well. I'm a HUGE Gil Grissom fan, and I like the new woman that is supposedly in his place.   I'm not a fan of Sarah, never was, but it was still an enjoyable season, if that's what it's called.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1779 on: December 16, 2021, 11:55:44 PM »

Incredible television, I need to give it a rewatch soon.
Started last night and finished it today. Man, the scene where the "suicide squad" went to look for the valve was tense.

Fantastic show.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1780 on: December 20, 2021, 11:10:57 AM »
Started the new Yellowstone "prequel" show 1883 last night.

Holy shit, that was good!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1781 on: December 20, 2021, 02:45:13 PM »
Devs. What the hell am I watching? :lol. Kinda reminds me of how it felt to watch Twin Peaks, in a good sense.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: December 21, 2021, 09:34:57 AM »
Devs. What the hell am I watching? :lol. Kinda reminds me of how it felt to watch Twin Peaks, in a good sense.

Watched that one a while ago. It is certainly a strange show.....it does a good job of keeping you hooked and I won't spoil the end for you obviously but the best way I can describe it is that it ends exactly in the same tone and feel as the show carries the whole time. So it was satisfying in the way that the show is but just as 'odd' as the show seems.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1783 on: December 24, 2021, 07:28:42 PM »
Reno 911: The Hunt For Qanon

Not as good as the Miami movie, but still entertaining. The discussion on what constitutes the bases in 'making out/sex' was hilarious.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: December 25, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »
'Christmas Vacation' as always.  I don't watch every single minute, but it never gets old.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!