Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 216372 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1505 on: June 14, 2021, 02:33:41 PM »
I gave up on The Blacklist several years ago.

I'm not sure that the characters/storyline have really progressed much since then, from what I hear.  And yeah, I wanted Keen dead back then.

Where was the story when you pulled the ripcord?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1506 on: June 15, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »

I'm not sure that the characters/storyline have really progressed much since then, from what I hear.  And yeah, I wanted Keen dead back then.

FBI/master criminal/secret plot/Keen's father's identity/whatever/I don't know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1507 on: June 15, 2021, 09:46:15 AM »

That narrows it down... not even a little bit.    ;)  :) :) :)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1508 on: June 15, 2021, 10:16:46 AM »
Finishing up the first (and so far only) season of The Mosquito Coast. It's all right I guess. Nothing that special but it was a decent enough watch.
I stumbled upon this show recently while trying out appleTV+ because of the show For All Mankind. I actually found it to be pretty good probably because my expectations were low knowing nothing about it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1509 on: June 15, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »
Finishing up the first (and so far only) season of The Mosquito Coast. It's all right I guess. Nothing that special but it was a decent enough watch.
I stumbled upon this show recently while trying out appleTV+ because of the show For All Mankind. I actually found it to be pretty good probably because my expectations were low knowing nothing about it.

Yeah, how is For All Mankind?

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1510 on: June 15, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
Attempting to re-watch the entire series of 24.  I watched them as they aired, starting with season 1, which premiered when I was a senior in college.  I remember the overall plot of each season, but there was so much that I had forgotten because they packed so many things into the series.  It's taking me about a week to a week and a half to watch each season - I'm about 1/3 of the way through season 3.

Jack Bauer is such a badass and Keifer Sutherland is so perfect in that show.  The entire cast is actually really great.

Yeah my favorite from 'back in the day'. Def giving this a rewatch one of these days.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1511 on: June 15, 2021, 10:52:18 AM »
Watched seven episodes of The Man in The High Castle. I’m digging it quite a lot.

Season 1 will end in a great way. And Seasaon 2 will end up in an even greater way.

If you like it, stick at least with the full first two seasons, it will spectacularly pay off.

I will!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1512 on: June 15, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »

In my opinion, it's the best sci-fi show I've seen since TNG—milage may vary, but it waaaayyyyy over-exceeded my expectations.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1513 on: June 15, 2021, 11:28:48 AM »

In my opinion, it's the best sci-fi show I've seen since TNG—milage may vary, but it waaaayyyyy over-exceeded my expectations.
Yea I also thought it was great. It was fun seeing all the alternating universe plot points.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1514 on: June 15, 2021, 02:30:41 PM »
Anyone else watch 'Mr. InBetween' on FX? It's a VERY good show. Premise is you have this guy who is a muscle man for mid tier crime folk and he's really good at it.....will do anything as long as he gets paid. BUT, he also has a daughter, brother....etc etc and outside of his 'job' is a pretty decent person. It's set out of England and it's in it's third season. Really cool show. I definitely recommend it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: June 15, 2021, 02:35:06 PM »
Anyone else watch 'Mr. InBetween' on FX? It's a VERY good show. Premise is you have this guy who is a muscle man for mid tier crime folk and he's really good at it.....will do anything as long as he gets paid. BUT, he also has a daughter, brother....etc etc and outside of his 'job' is a pretty decent person. It's set out of England and it's in it's third season. Really cool show. I definitely recommend it.

I've liked the commercials; I've been meaning to watch it (that and The Breeders).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1516 on: June 15, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »
How do you guys find the time to watch so much damn TV? I mean, are the days longer where you guys live?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1517 on: June 15, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »
How do you guys find the time to watch so much damn TV? I mean, are the days longer where you guys live?

I think you’re getting the compound interest on everyone.

My wife and I will binge watch something for an hour or two most nights right before bed (more on the weekend when we stay up later). That’s it.

We were in the middle of rewatching Agents of Shield, we paused it for a week while we watched the new show Resident Alien with Alan Tudyk (freaking hilarious) and now we’re back on AOS.

Also every Saturday night is MST3K night.

If a new show came along, we’d probably pause AOS again.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1518 on: June 15, 2021, 06:02:56 PM »

Sacrifice sleep
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1519 on: June 15, 2021, 06:52:27 PM »

The days are definitely longer where I live.  ;D

I go through ups and downs of TV watching. Right now not in the mood to watch any show, just watching YouTube videos on and off, maybe an episode of a documentary and an odd movie here or there.

Only show that's on that I'm watching is Loki, but that's just six episodes I believe so not that many episodes left.

When I am on my binge moods, just pummel through them whenever you get a chance, since I work remotely on a dual monitor setup, when things aren't that busy I can have the 2nd screen with a show on.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1520 on: June 15, 2021, 08:01:49 PM »
My wife and I will binge watch something for an hour or two most nights

But does an hour or two count as binging? It's just an hour of watching TV.

When do you listen to music?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1521 on: June 15, 2021, 08:09:35 PM »
My wife and I will binge watch something for an hour or two most nights

But does an hour or two count as binging? It's just an hour of watching TV.

When do you listen to music?

I count it as binging since we are watching a show consecutively. For example, I watched the entire 10 episode season of Resident Alien in less than a week. I mean, if “binge watching” only means watching a TV show all the way through non-stop, then no one is watching all 7 seasons of AOS in one sitting.

Listening to music happens at work and on my commute. I have ear buds. I can’t have them on ALL the time, but I probably listen for an average of 3-4 hours of music in an 8 hour day at work, and then another 2 hours in my round trip commute.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: June 16, 2021, 06:16:00 AM »

So, somewhere between S1E02, and last night.  Gotchya.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: June 16, 2021, 07:14:31 AM »

After I clean the kitchen, I sit down and watch a half hour or so of TV, then the wife puts my stepson to bed and she joins me, and most nights we'll watch diligently from about 9:30 to 11:30 at which time one or both of us will start to nod off.  We'll tough it out until about 1:00 or so and go upstairs.   Most of the shows from, say, 12:00 to 1:00 or so have to be rewatched. :) :) :)

On an unrelated note:  Manifest got cancelled.  I don't know whether to be bummed - because of the cliffhanger - or relieved that I'm not the only one that could barely stand the over-acting and ridiculousness. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1524 on: June 16, 2021, 08:17:38 AM »

While you watch every Red Sox game I choose to watch TV shows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1525 on: June 17, 2021, 07:50:57 PM »
Got to say that last Blacklist episode. 🧨🧨🧨
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1526 on: June 18, 2021, 02:45:07 AM »
Just started the show and it's good but i'm pretty sure it's set in Australia though?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: June 18, 2021, 07:48:23 AM »

Except even as a kid, Keen is a dumbass.  :) :)  :)

SPOILER ALERT. SPOILER ALERT.  SPOILER ALERT.
So who is the current Red Reddington?  It's not the original Red; it's not Ilya (which is what we thought for a while).   Is it mom?   I gotta say, that's going to be a hard one to swallow, and I do not mean that from an identity politics perspective, but from a story-line/narrative perspective. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: June 18, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »

So who is the current Red Reddington?  It's not the original Red; it's not Ilya (which is what we thought for a while).   Is it mom?   I gotta say, that's going to be a hard one to swallow, and I do not mean that from an identity politics perspective, but from a story-line/narrative perspective.

:lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1529 on: June 18, 2021, 11:32:45 AM »

Well, I was never a 'shows' kinda guy. It was always hockey, baseball, history documentaries (Smithsonian channel was my favorite, NatGeo too) or occasional news/current events.

But my wife likes shows and movies. Then she subscribed to Netflix and my son got Amazon Prime. The paradigm started to shift, because I didn't want to pay for these services and not use them myself, so I dabbled in some of the shows. Then I got laid off and took my early retirement. Then COVID hit, which led to more time spent home watching shows with my wife, to the point where I sometimes forgot that hockey or baseball was even going on. Sometimes, your texts reminded me of the fact that I was missing an Islander game!

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1530 on: June 18, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »

But my wife likes shows and movies. Then she subscribed to Netflix and my son got Amazon Prime.

When the kids were younger, we actually had Netflix, as in the red envelope mail order Netflix. We'd watch movies at night and stuff. My wife's job changed over time as she took promotions. Now it's not uncommon for her to get home between 6 and 7.

After dinner, my wife likes to use the treadmill or do a youtube workout.
She'll watch movies she likes if they come on. She'll watch Masterpiece, whatever story is on. But that's it. She'll also watch the Olympic channel as she loves gymnastics.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1531 on: June 18, 2021, 03:23:38 PM »
On an unrelated note:  Manifest got cancelled.  I don't know whether to be bummed - because of the cliffhanger - or relieved that I'm not the only one that could barely stand the over-acting and ridiculousness.

I gave up on that sometime toward the end of the first season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: June 18, 2021, 09:04:19 PM »

I haven't watched a series regularly since NCIS*, and that stopped around season 8, or, around the time my first kid was born. My life is different, my commitments are different, and mostly my obligations are different now. If I watch a rerun of Wings over the weekend I consider that quality TV viewing time. I know there is a ton of good stuff on TV these days. If I was single, I'd be on the couch for hours every day.

*someday I gotta catch up on this. What season are they up to now? 28? Is anyone from the early seasons still around?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: June 19, 2021, 06:29:38 AM »

I mean, this show has been terrible this season at giving a "plot twist".  I knew pretty much from the outset that "Katarina" wasn't actually the real Katarina.  The fact that Red continually referred to her as "that woman" was painfully obvious.  And it seems just as obvious now that their setting up Red to be the real Katarina .... the longtime friendship with Ilya; Stepanov as "one of my oldest friends"; the dialogue from Townshend at the end (ie, he knows that Red is Katarina, and his only motivation is to see a parent witness their child murdered).  Coupled with the storyline of the plastic surgeon's records of the work on Red, and wasn't there a DNA test a couple of seasons ago that proved Keen was the child of Red (though, wouldn't that DNA test also show one chromosome, not two??).

Agreed that this is a ridiculously ludicrous 'twist', but the show is telegraphing it so painfully.  My bigger beef is how all of this backstory came to actually to be.  Like, was Keen having an out-of-body experience, or was simply being in the Nest and her Profiler skills allowed her to put the pieces together herself (both of which are just as ridiculous).

I really wish this was the series finale, but nope... renewed for another season.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1534 on: June 19, 2021, 01:22:57 PM »

I haven't watched a series regularly since NCIS*, and that stopped around season 8, or, around the time my first kid was born. My life is different, my commitments are different, and mostly my obligations are different now. If I watch a rerun of Wings over the weekend I consider that quality TV viewing time. I know there is a ton of good stuff on TV these days. If I was single, I'd be on the couch for hours every day.

*someday I gotta catch up on this. What season are they up to now? 28? Is anyone from the early seasons still around?

My wife says Gibbs and McGee are still around.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1535 on: June 19, 2021, 06:28:02 PM »

I was talking with my stepson's partner today and I was kind of explaining this point about being in a different place.
From the sounds it, there seems to be some creative ideas out there, but I don't know. I am simply not interested in watching some drama. My life has had some drama, and I just don't find any escapism in that. I simply want to chill and relax. I think that's why my nights are spent watching sports and listening to music. It really does relax me.

The older I get, I also get a lot more critical. I'm always thinking.."That would never happen"..or.."No one would ever say that".
I'm also not interested in any plotline that includes infidelity, and certainly neither is my wife. To me, that's lazy writing. I also cannot watch any plotline that involves child tragedies. It makes me sick, actually.

I was never into comic books so the comic book movies don't get me going. Plus, the special effects these days are so awful. I was behind a guy on a plane a couple of years ago, and he was watching an Avengers movie. It looked so fucking stupid...and fake. I'm sure whoever does computer graphics is talented AF, but it looks so not real. I mean, the effects in a Japanese Godzilla destruction movies from the 60's looks way more real.

I saw the scenes of the new Fast & Furious movie and it showed multiple vehicles flipping over and shit, and WTF, it looks so fucking fake. I'm sure people find escapism in that. Hell, they're on their 9th movie, so I know I'm in the minority. And that's cool if someone likes that.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1536 on: June 19, 2021, 08:22:07 PM »

Fixed TAC's post.  :biggrin:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1537 on: June 19, 2021, 08:47:44 PM »
 :lol

Yeah pretty much and appropriate today.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1538 on: June 19, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »
I should have added I seem to have a vastly diminished attention span. I loved the Mandalorian. It was a great show, well crafted, and I was totally in to it from the opening till the credits. But after an episode of what, 40 minutes? I was completely done watching TV. I had to get up and do something else.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: June 20, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »

Gibbs, McGee, Ducky are all around in varying degrees.  I miss Tony, but it's been really good lately as a show.  I'm a fan of Bishop (Emily Wickersham) and Torres (Wilbur Vulgarcomma), so there's that. I like not love McGee, and though I DO NOT like Kasie and Jimmy, I endure.