Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212872 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1365 on: March 29, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
@ MirrorMask... regarding the OA, does it end on a cliffhanger, or wrap up at all?  I've got that saved (amongst a few dozen things) in 'My List', but if I'm just gonna be left with a set of blue balls, I'll take a raincheck.

It's a moderate cliffhanger. The events of season 2 are more or less wrapped up. It ends however with a setup for season 3 that simply won't happen.

Two seasons are enough to kinda get an idea of where the story is going, and you can imagine how the other three planned seasons would have been. However the action stops, it's not as cruel as a "who shot J.R." ending, but as I said while the events of season 2 are kinda brought to a logic end, the entire setup for season 3 was completely wasted by the cancellation.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1366 on: March 29, 2021, 09:37:24 AM »
Sounds a lot like Travellers. Wrapped everything up, but left the door wide open to continue if it did get renewed - which it didn’t.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1367 on: March 29, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »
Sounds a lot like Travellers. Wrapped everything up, but left the door wide open to continue if it did get renewed - which it didn’t.

I didn't see Travellers, but The OA didn't wrap everything up - to make an analogy, it wrapped a CHAPTER, and after two "chapters" you kinda get an idea of how the rest of the show was unfolding. The BOOK however was far from finished and there is no way that season 2 was the natural and satisfying conclusion of the series even without the setup for season 3 in the last minutes.  You're not left completely in the dark but the story is definitively unfinished, with an exciting premise for season 3 completely wasted.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: March 29, 2021, 11:13:19 AM »

I didn't see Travellers, but The OA didn't wrap everything up - to make an analogy, it wrapped a CHAPTER, and after two "chapters" you kinda get an idea of how the rest of the show was unfolding. The BOOK however was far from finished and there is no way that season 2 was the natural and satisfying conclusion of the series even without the setup for season 3 in the last minutes.  You're not left completely in the dark but the story is definitively unfinished, with an exciting premise for season 3 completely wasted.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1369 on: March 29, 2021, 11:57:14 AM »

Loved both shows. Travelers was awesome and I dug how they tied that series up. The OA.....it's a bummer it wasn't allowed to at least get a third season to give a more satisfying ending.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1370 on: March 29, 2021, 01:04:07 PM »
Just watched the whole first season of Mythic Quest over the weekend. Loved it. The extra quarantine episode that they put together was especially funny and poignant. They really made it work. Looking forward to Season 2 later this year.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1371 on: April 02, 2021, 03:37:20 AM »
I'm about to end my Netflix subscription, at least for a little while (it was a birthday gift, three months) and so I chugged through the first two seasons of Narcos.

Man, what a show. The subject of gangsters and criminal organizations are not my top priority, so while I knew of the good reviews of Narcos I never really got this burning desire to see it, but man, what I was missing!!! SUPERB show, amazing performances and greatly constructed. I almost regret to have burned through all the episodes so fast but who cares, I still watched them and I still paid attention.

Great storytelling, awesome job by the guy impersonating Pablo Escobar, and if you're still sour over Oberyn Martell in Game of Thrones, you can watch him being one of the two protagonists hunting Escobar down! great series, absolutely recommended.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: April 04, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »
I had a month of free Amazon Prime so i've been watching a couple of MYTHBUSTERS a night...

I love it but the only thing I can think of having been on film shoots and music video shoots, and have twice been on the team to

clean up after music festivals - is - how LONG it would take to clean up after some of those BIG BADA BOOMS.

Especially cement truck.  :eek. They must have a dedicated clean up team who go in after and just absolutely blitz the entire area.

I know Adam said they always strive to leave a place TIDIER than when they arrived. But - after cement truck - there was

shrapnel almost a mile away.

Also - the show is HEAVILY edited - we the viewer are lucky we only get to see the highlights - but I can't imagine the HOURS of boredom waiting around for a 5 second shot.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1373 on: April 04, 2021, 07:01:30 PM »
Mythbusters was RAD!  And the "b-team" was just as entertaining as the "a-team."

Also, Kari Byron.   :heart :heart

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: April 05, 2021, 03:24:31 AM »
Kari was actually a builder and wasn't just there to look good and get people to tune in like some other shows i've seen.

Also RIP Grant. The show wasn't as good when it was just Adam and Jamie.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1375 on: April 05, 2021, 04:27:48 AM »
Just a tip for those that don't know. Adam on his Tested YT channel has a fun Q and A with lots of questions about Mythbusters but also about other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sosCBJv2tV8&list=PLJtitKU0CAeg88RBY08TZkB7dcVmJLJLJ&ab_channel=AdamSavage%E2%80%99sTested
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: April 05, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »
Yeah i've watched a few of those.

One was titled " Grossest Myth " or something and I immediately went " Pigs in cars obviously ".

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1377 on: April 05, 2021, 06:43:57 AM »
We were just talking about this show over the weekend; my stepson mentioned a couple videos done by guys who are Adam and Jaime wannabees, and he showed me one.  AMATEUR HOUR. 

I loved that show.  I think the people were as interesting as the topics/events. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1378 on: April 05, 2021, 08:28:47 AM »
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Party Down, which is really, really good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: April 05, 2021, 08:41:31 AM »
We were just talking about this show over the weekend; my stepson mentioned a couple videos done by guys who are Adam and Jaime wannabees, and he showed me one.  AMATEUR HOUR. 

I loved that show.  I think the people were as interesting as the topics/events.

If MythBusters was made now it would be overly dramtised and scripted and focus on inter-personal tension in the group. I'm glad it was made when it was and didn't turn into a reality show

where everything has to be DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA with every experiment being " this has to go right the first time or we're all out of a job " manufactured horse shit.

I'm thinking of shows like Rust Valley Restorers. Where every episode is doom and gloom and this one build has to go perfect or we're all f---ed.

Obviously not but scripted for drama.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: April 05, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »

If MythBusters was made now it would be overly dramtised and scripted and focus on inter-personal tension in the group. I'm glad it was made when it was and didn't turn into a reality show

where everything has to be DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA with every experiment being " this has to go right the first time or we're all out of a job " manufactured horse shit.

I'm thinking of shows like Rust Valley Restorers. Where every episode is doom and gloom and this one build has to go perfect or we're all f---ed.

That was the downfall of "Fast n' Loud" (Gas Monkey Garage).   It was awesome when it was Aaron and Richard in their shitty garage; it went downhill when they got into the skits and antics, and every episode was Richard exasperated that his guys spent "his" money willy-nilly.   Pawn Stars is that now too, though without the faux "we're doomed" lines.  The home renovations shows are like that too.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1381 on: April 05, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »
Just finished both seasons of Secret City.  If you like political intrigue, it's a really good Aussie show, starring Anna Torv.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1382 on: April 05, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »
Finished season one of Orphan Black. Suprisingly cool, starts out with a girl seeing a person looking exactly like her committing suicide and escalates into thriller, espionage, and trying to find out the motives behind all that. Quite intriguing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: April 05, 2021, 11:54:53 AM »

That was the downfall of "Fast n' Loud" (Gas Monkey Garage).   It was awesome when it was Aaron and Richard in their shitty garage; it went downhill when they got into the skits and antics, and every episode was Richard exasperated that his guys spent "his" money willy-nilly.   Pawn Stars is that now too, though without the faux "we're doomed" lines.  The home renovations shows are like that too.

Rust valley - every episode was Main Guy spends too much money - Avery has a ridiculously high voice and says he would run the company better. A really important make or break build doesnt go as planned and they barely break even. They barely have enough money to get through the winter and maybe they'll do better next year. Repeat for 10 episodes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1384 on: April 05, 2021, 07:04:16 PM »
If you are not watching "The Rookie" then shame on you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: April 06, 2021, 06:28:18 AM »
Just finished both seasons of Secret City.  If you like political intrigue, it's a really good Aussie show, starring Anna Torv.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1386 on: April 06, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »

I've been binging the hell out of American Chopper on Discovery+. I'm on season 9 of 12 now. Same thing happened with that show. There was an episode the other day where they didn't even mention anything about the bike they were building until 24 minutes into the 41 minute episode. I love the show when its about bikes and the business. That's why people started watching in the first place. It slowly morphed into scripted reality garbage. I understand that the camera crews are there capturing everything, but the show is still very much "steered" in a direction. Whenever they cut to the talking heads, you can tell that the producers worded their questions very carefully to illicit a very specific response. It's kind of lame. 15 year old me didn't realize it at the time, but it's glaringly obvious now.   

I've tried to get into Fast and Loud soooo many times, but it never clicked with me. The guys build sick stuff, but the show itself just does nothing for me. With as horny as Discovery is for spinoffs and crossovers, I'm amazing they never made a show revolving around Sue's upholstery business. That would be a good watch.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: April 06, 2021, 08:05:41 AM »
Haha, that's literally the funniest line in the entire show, when she calls him "Ass Monkey".   

There have been some spinoffs/crossovers.  I don't know the names of the guys, but the guy that used to paint I think had a show for a short time, there was a mechanic who went to another show after he left/was fired (depends who you talk to) and there was a third guy that came on and did some stuff for Richard after Aaron left that I think was on another show.    They've also tried to shoe-horn Aaron into at least two shows now and while I love the guy - I do - the shows were just boring. 

And that's the rub, isn't it?  As bad as it is with the scripted stuff, there's only so much you can do with the real stuff.  The producers and stars don't have the discipline to walk away when the well starts to run dry.   I've been to Gas Monkey; it's a mini-Disney land.  The gift shop is a separate building almost as big as the garage itself.  I've been to the Pawn Stars pawn shop, and while it IS a working pawn shop, and they do have a couple cool things - I came THISCLOSE to buying a book of matches that were from the Led Zeppelin Starship private plane - the entire back half of the store is show merch, and NONE of the people you see on TV are there now unless they are filming (though I have to say, the people that DO work there were some of the nicest people I've ever dealt with in a pawn shop.  No ego, no arrogance, nothing, which is rare for a pawn shop, and when I was done I asked about a cab and the gyu at the door was all "you don't worry about that, I'll flag one and let you know".   I needed to make a call so I was outside, and he did NOT just call his buddy, he literally went in the street and flagged down a cab for me.  I offered him $5, and he declined it ("cant' take that"), so it wasn't for the tip either.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1388 on: April 06, 2021, 09:45:14 AM »

My wife and I started watching it because we really liked Castle, and she liked some short-lived sci-fi show that Nathan Fillion did.  I thought most of the first two seasons were really good.  The resolution of the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 was just ok, and then this season fell into the trap of trying to be too "woke."  The episode where Nolan started the community college class and his classmates freaked out that he didn't reveal that he's a cop was just silly (the only saving grace was when the teacher verbally bitch-slapped one of the students who whined about "safe spaces").  It's also a little weird that this season is completely ignoring the pandemic.  The Molly Quinn cameo was kinda cool, though.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: April 06, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »

My wife and I started watching it because we really liked Castle, and she liked some short-lived sci-fi show that Nathan Fillion did.  I thought most of the first two seasons were really good.  The resolution of the cliffhanger at the end of season 2 was just ok, and then this season fell into the trap of trying to be too "woke."  The episode where Nolan started the community college class and his classmates freaked out that he didn't reveal that he's a cop was just silly (the only saving grace was when the teacher verbally bitch-slapped one of the students who whined about "safe spaces").  It's also a little weird that this season is completely ignoring the pandemic.  The Molly Quinn cameo was kinda cool, though.

Well unfortunately, it is keeping relevant with the times.  We are in the Woke era for sure.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:33:40 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: April 06, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »

We unfortunately, it is keeping relevant with the times.  We are in the Woke era for sure.

Even independent of the issues - which I don't usually disagree with, at least not high level - some shows are getting unwatchable, since it's starting to affect the storylines.   It's impossible to present EVERY issue in a multi-faceted, nuanced way, and the trope of having the "relevant" character weigh in on the issues of the moment from the disaffected standpoint is getting predictable.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: April 06, 2021, 01:35:07 PM »
I don't want to say too much but the last episode was supposed to be eye opening for the teacher.  So I'm not sure if they are balancing it out or not. 

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1392 on: April 07, 2021, 04:12:42 PM »
Just finished watching HBOs 6-part documentary Q: Into the Storm. It’s an investigation into who Q (of QAnon) actually is. Quite compelling as it takes you down all sorts of avenues with some strange characters.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1393 on: April 12, 2021, 06:58:51 AM »
Just started Orphan Black.  Two episodes in and it's OK.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1394 on: April 12, 2021, 07:18:14 AM »

Yup, saw the whole first season, kinda cool!

I said goodbye (for now) to Netflix and tried Prime Video for a month, I started watching The Handmaid's Tale.

Heavy stuff, four episodes in and I already want to punch faces, I want the regime of the show to end in a bloodbath.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1395 on: April 12, 2021, 07:19:24 AM »
Orphan Black is fantastic.  Stick with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1396 on: April 12, 2021, 07:34:01 AM »

Yup, saw the whole first season, kinda cool!

I've heard good things!

I said goodbye (for now) to Netflix and tried Prime Video for a month

The Boys and The Expanse are two really good Prime shows.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1397 on: April 12, 2021, 08:09:57 AM »
Orphan Black is fantastic.  Stick with it.

I've heard this and have considered diving in to this show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1398 on: April 21, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »
Just finished watching HBOs 6-part documentary Q: Into the Storm. It’s an investigation into who Q (of QAnon) actually is. Quite compelling as it takes you down all sorts of avenues with some strange characters.

I'm about halfway through this.  I never really understood the whole Q thing - other than it was a conspiracy theory that was responsible for Pizzagate and it's connection with Trump of course.  I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories so I'm a little surprised at myself for even watching it.  But it is very interesting and strange to consider how this whole wild conspiracy began and caught fire.

The gullibility of some people never ceases to amaze me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:44:23 AM by Harmony »
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: April 21, 2021, 09:21:01 AM »
Anyone watching Debris?  3 episodes in and I'm loving it.