Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212934 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1330 on: March 04, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »
Jason figured it out?!?? JASON!?!? Wow, this is a real low point. Yeah, this one hurts.

:rollin

Haha. 

My favorite was "Would you like a magic guitar that plays all the notes for you?  It's the number one request of men over 50 that have gotten in here!"

Or:  "We do NOTHING!  We hope our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess that we've become!  Like Facebook.  And America!"

Online faizoff

« Reply #1331 on: March 04, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
Honestly there are so many gold lines in that show, I've been meaning to do a rewatch. It's one of the most unique comedy shows I've seen. For a comedy series you usually don't pack that much story in it. But that show was nothing but story and the comedy fed off it. I'm so glad it ended with 4 seasons, hardly any room for filler or overused tropes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: March 04, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »
Started watching the HBO miniseries, The Undoing.  Really intriguing first episode  :yarr

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: March 04, 2021, 10:40:31 AM »
Honestly there are so many gold lines in that show, I've been meaning to do a rewatch. It's one of the most unique comedy shows I've seen. For a comedy series you usually don't pack that much story in it. But that show was nothing but story and the comedy fed off it. I'm so glad it ended with 4 seasons, hardly any room for filler or overused tropes.

I'm pretty sure you could watch the entire series again just for the shit in the background (the pandas, for one, the store names for two, the signs for three:  "Welcome to the Bad Place.  Population: Your mom."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1334 on: March 12, 2021, 08:59:18 AM »
Another excellent series where Michael Schur is a producer is Master of None. We follow a very fictionalized version of Azis Ansari as Dev, an actor making his way through life in New York. It's a smart, funny and witty show, way beyond the trite tropes of other "sitcoms" (and to call it sitcoms is definitively a disservice, the wriring is great and many scenes are relatable). Highly recommended.

Also tonight I will finish season 2 of The Umbrella Academy. Fun but didn't completely win me over, I mean, I liked it and I don't regret watching it, but it didn't give me the "whoah this is absolutely amazing you should all watch it!!!" feeling.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1335 on: March 12, 2021, 02:27:13 PM »
Also tonight I will finish season 2 of The Umbrella Academy. Fun but didn't completely win me over, I mean, I liked it and I don't regret watching it, but it didn't give me the "whoah this is absolutely amazing you should all watch it!!!" feeling.

Agreed with this sentiment. It was 'fine'.....and that's about it. S3 looks like it'll be a trip though.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: March 14, 2021, 02:00:57 PM »
I asked nicely for a month of Free Prime  ;D and got it so i'm watching a few Futurama each night.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1337 on: March 14, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an excellent show on Prime.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1338 on: March 14, 2021, 07:33:44 PM »
As requested, the wife bought me the complete series of The Wire and Deadwood.  Two of my favorite series of all time.  Hard to believe the first season of the wire is 18 years old.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1339 on: March 14, 2021, 07:48:16 PM »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an excellent show on Prime.

My girlfriend introduced me to it and we flew through the whole thing. Fantastic show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: March 15, 2021, 03:02:35 AM »
I watched a couple of episodes of Attack On Titan, but then took a break. I didn't really get into it. So I started with Death Note instead, looks more like my kind of show.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1341 on: March 15, 2021, 04:47:06 PM »
This is totally random, but the Battle of the Network Stars was so awesome back in the day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oGOzvhEQ2E
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: March 15, 2021, 06:41:57 PM »
This is totally random, but the Battle of the Network Stars was so awesome back in the day!

I used to love that show.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1343 on: March 15, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »

I used to love that show.

I remember Scott Baio crushing it on that show.

Oh the nostalgia in that clip (watched the intros)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: March 16, 2021, 08:05:22 AM »
I was a young teenage boy, so I was always rooting for Loni Anderson to run the obstacle course.   

Online pg1067

« Reply #1345 on: March 16, 2021, 09:33:31 AM »
The clip I posted had Linda Carter v. Adrienne Barbeau in the first leg of a swimming relay.

One of the comments, which I read in a Howard Cosell voice, was "Linda Carter versus Adrienne Barbeau in swimming.  There are no losers."

The Simon Says segments in subsequent seasons were awesome.

It was amazing how passionate they were about the competition.  You could never replicate this today.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: March 16, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
The clip I posted had Linda Carter v. Adrienne Barbeau in the first leg of a swimming relay.

One of the comments, which I read in a Howard Cosell voice, was "Linda Carter versus Adrienne Barbeau in swimming.  There are no losers."

It was amazing how passionate they were about the competition.  You could never replicate this today.

That's my bad; I'm usually on here through a VPN, and I can't always access videos. I was just going on memory.   But it's hilarious that you mention Adrienne Barbeau, because it was a toss up between her, Loni, or Barbi Benton who I used in my post!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1347 on: March 16, 2021, 09:45:52 AM »
Let's hear it for Pat Herrington!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1348 on: March 16, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »

That's my bad; I'm usually on here through a VPN, and I can't always access videos. I was just going on memory.   But it's hilarious that you mention Adrienne Barbeau, because it was a toss up between her, Loni, or Barbi Benton who I used in my post!!!

Yeah...the video I posted was from 1976, which...checking...yup...was the first edition of BotNS.  The Captains were Gabe Kaplan (ABC), Telly Savalas (CBS) and Robert Conrad (NBC).  During the running relay, one of the NBC runners apparently ran past the line where you're allowed to take the baton pass.  Telly Savalas (of 3rd place CBS) protested, and the judge assessed a two second penalty, which dropped NBC from first to second and gave ABC the win.  It was hilarious to see Savalas and Conrad arguing to the judge.

By the way, Loni Anderson never competed on BotNS (although I do recall her being there cheering on the CBS team with the vastly superior Jan Smithers).  Looking at the rosters is like taking a time machine back to the late 70s and early 80s.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1349 on: March 21, 2021, 09:27:36 AM »
Started watching Sweet Home on netflix and my mind is blown!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1350 on: March 22, 2021, 05:57:41 AM »
Since it's so famous and revered, I gave a try to Sons of Anarchy.

I'm not crazy about the bikers world, but I thought the good reputation of the show would lure me in.... however I found it a bit too much filled with testosterone to really like it. It's full of tough and manly men doing tough and manly things, like talking tough, bro this man that, punching people and / or shooting them, while getting hot chicks on the side. I mean, there's more to the story of course and for example the escalating drama in the final episodes of season 1 was cool, but as I said, too much testosterone for me.

Which is a tricky thing to define because, after all, I loooooove the living shit out of Peaky Blinders, and there's no shortage of tough manly guys there, but Peaky Blinders probably wins you over because of the atmosphere, the costumes, the cinematography, and of course the acting. Ron Perlman is great and Charles Hunnam as Jax Teller is fine, but he's no Cillian Murphy as Tommy Shelby, not even close. I don't regret having watched the first season but I don't feel compelled to watch the remaining six either.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: March 22, 2021, 07:14:12 AM »
Since it's so famous and revered, I gave a try to Sons of Anarchy.

I'm not crazy about the bikers world, but I thought the good reputation of the show would lure me in.... however I found it a bit too much filled with testosterone to really like it. It's full of tough and manly men doing tough and manly things, like talking tough, bro this man that, punching people and / or shooting them, while getting hot chicks on the side. I mean, there's more to the story of course and for example the escalating drama in the final episodes of season 1 was cool, but as I said, too much testosterone for me.

Which is a tricky thing to define because, after all, I loooooove the living shit out of Peaky Blinders, and there's no shortage of tough manly guys there, but Peaky Blinders probably wins you over because of the atmosphere, the costumes, the cinematography, and of course the acting. Ron Perlman is great and Charles Hunnam as Jax Teller is fine, but he's no Cillian Murphy as Tommy Shelby, not even close. I don't regret having watched the first season but I don't feel compelled to watch the remaining six either.

I'm going off memory, so don't hold me to SPECIFIC seasons, but from seasons 1 through 3 it got progressively better.  There was a lag in season 4/5, but then the last two were the best of the series.   Your call of course, and if you're turned off by the testosterone, that won't get better (that's a big part of the show, and the ethos of Kurt Sutter), but IMO, the last two seasons are worth the payoff.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1352 on: March 22, 2021, 07:23:17 AM »
I found the first season of SOA to be good and the second to be an all timer of a season for pretty much any show, and then it kind of fell off from there. Watched it all the way through and for me there just got to be too much bloat as FX let Sutter make his episodes however long he wanted and too much in the way of plot machinations. Still an enjoyable watch with some good stories and performances, but S2 was the clear high water mark for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1353 on: March 22, 2021, 09:45:01 AM »
I found the first season of SOA to be good and the second to be an all timer of a season for pretty much any show, and then it kind of fell off from there. Watched it all the way through and for me there just got to be too much bloat as FX let Sutter make his episodes however long he wanted and too much in the way of plot machinations. Still an enjoyable watch with some good stories and performances, but S2 was the clear high water mark for me.

Yeah I agree Season 2 was the best, Season 4 was good too.  The latter ones were a struggle (a bit like Dexter).

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1354 on: March 22, 2021, 10:44:36 PM »
Mozart in the Jungle.  Fun show, been binging 4-5 episodes in a sitting.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1355 on: March 23, 2021, 02:01:20 AM »

I thought every season was worse than the previous, but season 1 will remain one of my very favorites.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #1356 on: March 23, 2021, 05:00:55 AM »
I was desperate, so I started Tiger King. It's surprisingly good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1357 on: March 24, 2021, 08:59:04 AM »

I thought every season was worse than the previous, but season 1 will remain one of my very favorites.
I agree with this.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1358 on: March 26, 2021, 10:45:19 PM »

I agree with this.

Well, you guys are right about the drop-off . We got as far as season 3 episode 2 and decided to tune out.  Too bad, such a great premise. Season 1 was stellar.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1359 on: March 27, 2021, 10:29:58 AM »
Just watched a documentary on HBO max about Elizabeth Holmes (the lady that faked the deep voice and pretended to be like Steve jobs) and how her billion dollar company fell apart because of her lies.

Really fascinating. Its called The inventor: out for blood in silicon valley

This lady

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:39:19 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online pg1067

« Reply #1360 on: March 27, 2021, 05:45:17 PM »
Just watched the last three episodes of Superstore last night.  I knew this was the last season, but I didn't realize it was happening now.  It was nothing great, but it was a fun little show, and I liked the way they ended it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: March 27, 2021, 09:16:07 PM »
Just watched a documentary on HBO max about Elizabeth Holmes (the lady that faked the deep voice and pretended to be like Steve jobs) and how her billion dollar company fell apart because of her lies.

Really fascinating. Its called The inventor: out for blood in silicon valley

This lady

She looks, well, insane. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1362 on: March 28, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
I finished Sense8, a pity it was cancelled after the second season but at the very least we got an additional episode to serve as a serie finale, of course it was rushed but now that I've seen it, it's infinitively better than the series just ending with season 2's cliffhanger.

A pity because the show was good and visually engaging, it should have deserved to play out until the end.

And speking of cancellations after the second season, I also finished The OA, one of the most unique and difficult to describe shows on Netflix. It falls into the "mindfuck" category, while at the surface being the story of a once blind girl disappeared for seven years who returned and explains why and how she was held captive. With Brit Marling, whom I knew from the excellent sci-fi movie Another Earth, and whose presence in the show I trusted because even from a single movie I remember her intensity and gravitas. She looks like being all into mindfuckey of movies and I'm gonna catch up with some other stuff she's done.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #1363 on: March 29, 2021, 08:22:38 AM »

[/quote]

She looks, well, insane.
[/quote]

She looks like the female Mark Zuckerberg... so yeah, you're right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1364 on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:55 AM »
@ MirrorMask... regarding the OA, does it end on a cliffhanger, or wrap up at all?  I've got that saved (amongst a few dozen things) in 'My List', but if I'm just gonna be left with a set of blue balls, I'll take a raincheck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion