Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212867 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1085 on: October 22, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
I thought I would give The Office a try and watched the first two episodes a couple days ago.

Possibly the two worst things I have ever seen on TV.  Realizing that "better" is subjective, does it get better?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #1086 on: October 22, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »
The first season of the US Office is a repeat of the storylines of the UK Office, after that it diverges as its own thing. But... if you haven't taken to the first two episodes then maybe the show isn't your cup of tea. I personally love the first four seasons they are pretty much flawless. They vary with different degrees later on with many highs and many lows.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1087 on: October 22, 2020, 09:25:43 PM »
If memory serves though, the first season isn't exactly the same as the rest.  There's a slightly different vibe and a slightly different tone to the rest.   

I much prefer the British version, and maybe it's because I saw it for what it was that I didn't care for the first US season, but I liked it better as they went on. I don't think the first US season is a full season, either, so you wouldn't be wasting THAT much time riding it through.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1088 on: October 23, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
I don't think the first US season is a full season, either, so you wouldn't be wasting THAT much time riding it through.

IMDB says 6 episodes, so maybe.  But those first two were just so BAD.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1089 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
I thought I would give The Office a try and watched the first two episodes a couple days ago.

Possibly the two worst things I have ever seen on TV.  Realizing that "better" is subjective, does it get better?

From Season 2 onwards it's a riot and I'm addicted to it.

As for me:

Finished season 2 of Killing Eve, funny and witty as the first I'd say, and season 1 of Babylon Berlin. Excellent period drama (noir actually), it almost makes me want to visit Berlin. It got me to reearch a bit about the Berlin of the 1920s, there's lot of fascinating stuff to discover about that era. And to think that none of the characters in the show knew what was coming to them.....

Went on with both. Finished season 3 of Killing Eve, equally nice altough a bit slow, and the second season of Babylon Berlin.

The latter one completely mesmerized me. Wonderful atmosphere, it sparkled an interest in the Weimar Republic and the Berlin of the Golden Twenties. The show does a nice job or showing both the best and the worst sides of that period, the glamour, the style and the carefree attitude on one side, and the brewing social discontent and the underlying issues that will explode into we all know whst.

The show doesn't break the fourth wall but it's broken in your mind: you're watching a society heading for a giant and catastrophic disaster and you know, unlike the protagonists, that nothing they do will matter: the show is set in 1929, in four years Hitler will rise to power, and 16 years later Berlin will be a pile of smoking rubble with nothing left standing.

If you're into period drama and noir, this show is HIGHLY reccomended. Possibly in german with english subtitles.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1090 on: October 23, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
When it comes to the US version of The Office, the pilot is pretty much a word for word remake of the UK pilot and then it goes off on its own from there. For me they don't really start to hit their stride until season 2, the writers seemed to be able to find their version of the characters in the time off after the initial six episode run.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1091 on: October 25, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
Just started The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, very promising series.

Edit- killed the whole thing in a day. Outstanding drama. So good.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:18:11 PM by lonestar »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1092 on: October 26, 2020, 03:43:43 AM »
Started The Haunting of Bly Manor, saw the first two episodes. Those goddamn creepy kids.

The quality of Hill House and the supercute Victoria Pedretti convinced me to give it a try, after all it's Halloween week and I needed a scary show to get in the mood  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: October 27, 2020, 11:03:50 PM »
Started The Haunting of Bly Manor, saw the first two episodes. Those goddamn creepy kids.

The quality of Hill House and the supercute Victoria Pedretti convinced me to give it a try, after all it's Halloween week and I needed a scary show to get in the mood  :D

Looking to start this one too, I didn't love Hill House, but enjoyed it enough to want to check the next story out. 

I just watched a couple documentaries:

The Social Dilemma - Pretty good.  Thought the acted scenes were a bit cheesy, but made their point.  I work in the online ad industry so this wasn't a huge revelation to me, but moreso seeing the people who actually made the tech sit back and say "whoa we created a monster" is pretty eye opening.  Definitely recommend this, especially for parents who are trying to raise kids in todays tech world.

Wild Card: The Downfall of a Radio Loudmouth - Alright.  I was really interested because I used to listen to Boomer and Carton on WFAN fairly regularly on my morning commute and I always hated Carton.  Was a bit surprised to see him get arrested and all of the sudden off the air so I wanted to get the scoop.  I felt this was totally one sided as it was his story told by him.  It had no interviews with the investors and it had no interviews with family members.  It almost came off as him paying for HBO to make a doc not make him look like a gambling degenerate so it didn't change opinion.  Id recommend it if you are familiar with him, if not, I'm not sure how it would interest anyone. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1094 on: October 28, 2020, 05:38:37 AM »
This is Us premier last night.  Boy, they jumped RIGHT in to all the social issues in the first 4 minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1095 on: October 28, 2020, 06:05:29 AM »

Looking to start this one too, I didn't love Hill House, but enjoyed it enough to want to check the next story out. 

I'm at 6 episodes out of 9 and it's very good. If they don't botch up the ending it's gonna go down as a very great season.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1096 on: October 28, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »
Watched a mini series (Four 20 ish min episodes) on Netflix called Song Exploder that is based off a podcast with the same name.

It's super interesting and each episode deconstructs a song from an artist and the host talks with the singer on parts of each track. He gets the individual stems from the record company and plays it back to the artist and asks them questions on each part.

I found all four episodes super interesting even though I am not familiar with the songs or listen to the artists that much.

The first four are:

1. Alicia Keys with "3 Hour Drive" (featuring Sampha) from her 2020 album Alicia
2. Lin-Manuel Miranda with "Wait for It" from the 2015 musical Hamilton
3. R.E.M. with "Losing My Religion", from their 1991 album Out of Time
4. Ty Dolla $ign with "LA", from his 2015 debut album Free TC

Looks like they have four more lined up for release on December 15, 2020 :

Nine Inch Nails - 'Hurt"
Dua Lipa – “Love Again”
The Killers – “When You Were Young”
Natalia Lafourcade – “Hasta La Raíz”
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:55:40 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: October 28, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »
This is Us premier last night.  Boy, they jumped RIGHT in to all the social issues in the first 4 minutes.

I have it taped, but if that's the case, then  :tdwn  That show - one of my favorites, mind you - is best when it's about the family interactions.   They NAILED that part, especially the progression of the mom and dad from 70's "shut up and eat your beans" parenting, to the more compassionate parenting that (some) engage in today.  NOTE PERFECT.    The struggle of Kevin to balance his alcoholism/demons while still being nominally successful in both work and life...  NOTE PERFECT.   The whole "Randall buys buildings and renovates them for the community"...  I go and get a snack.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: October 28, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »

I'm at 6 episodes out of 9 and it's very good. If they don't botch up the ending it's gonna go down as a very great season.

That was my issue with the first season, I really enjoyed it up until the end.  Felt very lackluster after all the awesome build up. I'm probably going to start soon.  Big Brother ends tonight and that's been my goto workout show to watch so I'll need something else.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: October 28, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »

I have it taped, but if that's the case, then  :tdwn  That show - one of my favorites, mind you - is best when it's about the family interactions.   They NAILED that part, especially the progression of the mom and dad from 70's "shut up and eat your beans" parenting, to the more compassionate parenting that (some) engage in today.  NOTE PERFECT.    The struggle of Kevin to balance his alcoholism/demons while still being nominally successful in both work and life...  NOTE PERFECT.   The whole "Randall buys buildings and renovates them for the community"...  I go and get a snack.

Truth be told, the whole social justice issue played right into the family dynamics.  In a BIG way.  They didn't over-play the COVID thing, just put masks on in a few scenes, and played up the 'distancing' aspect in a few instances.  On the whole, they made it work, and I'm pretty sure the COVID aspect won't be quite so 'in-your-face' as it was last night.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1100 on: October 28, 2020, 12:40:13 PM »

Truth be told, the whole social justice issue played right into the family dynamics.  In a BIG way.  They didn't over-play the COVID thing, just put masks on in a few scenes, and played up the 'distancing' aspect in a few instances.  On the whole, they made it work, and I'm pretty sure the COVID aspect won't be quite so 'in-your-face' as it was last night.
I agree.  It fit right in, to the point that it would have been almost weird if they DIDN'T do it that way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1101 on: October 28, 2020, 10:15:37 PM »
It is not my intent to derail or repeat myself, but my family of four started Burn Notice from the beginning and we are halfway through the season three and absolutely having the time of our lives. I may need to go out and buy the physical copy of the complete series. Just in case Amazon takes it away from us. I am absolutely having the time of my life watching this show.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: October 29, 2020, 06:58:15 AM »

I watched it last night.   Very good not great episode.   I stand by my statement on what the show does well, and what seems to be forced.   I see what you mean by "played right in", and those moments at the cabin were typical high-level "This Is Us" moments.   I'm going to reserve a final judgment until we see the next couple episodes, but I think there's a whiff of implication that Kate and Kevin are/were being selfish by not understanding Randall and his issues, and I'm not certain how I feel about that.  I'm anxious to see the aftermath of the Randall-Kate scene in the driveway near the end; I think that dynamic (two people that love each other, want to support each other, but are coming from two different viewpoints) has to be explored more.   I also think there were more moments - like parts of the scene with Randall and Beth (played by the absolutely-fantastic-in-every-way Susan Kelechi Watson) - where the writers opted for huge proclamations/statements over a more realistic (to me) but maybe more flawed human interactions.   

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1103 on: October 29, 2020, 05:15:18 PM »
It is not my intent to derail or repeat myself, but my family of four started Burn Notice from the beginning and we are halfway through the season three and absolutely having the time of our lives. I may need to go out and buy the physical copy of the complete series. Just in case Amazon takes it away from us. I am absolutely having the time of my life watching this show.
I am watching the second season of Fargo and the star of Burn Notice is in the show.  He gets tazed and poked with a knife by Kristen Dunst’s character.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1104 on: October 29, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »
Man, 'This is Us' is a quality show, without a doubt, but as I was telling my wife last night, it more often than not makes me feel, well, guilty, and sad.

In fact, I've taken to referring to it as 'This is Sad.'

I think knowing the future we're working towards, it's incredibly difficult to summon enthusiasm for something that you know winds up on bummer beach.

I get it...'that's real life man.' Well, my life is pretty real at the moment, and I suppose I'm looking for an escape when I finally get to my couch. Last night, I felt like I had to relive the last six months.

Like Stadler said, 'good, but not great' episode.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: October 29, 2020, 05:50:52 PM »
It'll be interesting how they play out the racial tensions between family members, and whatever reconciliation ultimately happens.  I don't see the storyline being that Kevin/Randall are estranged up until 'Becca's death bed.  They typically throw curve-balls on the future scenes ... like when Randall/Beth were on the verge of divorce, the future scenes played that up bigly.

Over/under on how many episodes until birth-mom shows up?  I say 4.  Unless of course the NBC previews teased it already (Canadian feeds don't usually show previews).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1106 on: October 29, 2020, 07:34:13 PM »
Just starting Ted Lasso.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: October 30, 2020, 08:43:04 AM »
It'll be interesting how they play out the racial tensions between family members, and whatever reconciliation ultimately happens.  I don't see the storyline being that Kevin/Randall are estranged up until 'Becca's death bed.  They typically throw curve-balls on the future scenes ... like when Randall/Beth were on the verge of divorce, the future scenes played that up bigly.

Over/under on how many episodes until birth-mom shows up?  I say 4.  Unless of course the NBC previews teased it already (Canadian feeds don't usually show previews).

I didn't catch anything that indicated any imminent return.   

I agree it will be "interesting" how they handle that aspect; but it's also a minefield of epic proportions.   IF it goes a certain way - and I put "if" in caps for a reason - is it going to be believable that they went 39 years, under the same roof, living in the same family, loving each other (as you do with brothers and sisters), enduring the loss of a beloved and revered Dad, and all of a sudden "Kate and Kevin are racist" (or at least "racially insensitive")?   People grow apart in terms of how they look at things and maybe how they prioritize things, but that seems like a pretty big leap.   I know I'm feeding my beast, here, but I've written a lot about how things that seem to be 'race-based' are perhaps just as often not strictly 'racially' motivated but are in fact HUMAN issues.

Speaking of human, I kind of hope Kevin doesn't fuck over Madison.   

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1108 on: October 31, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
Murdoch Mysteries

Series on Acorn TV, 13 seasons so far. Set in Toronto in the 1890s/1900s. Outstanding writing and acting, and often features actual historical figures such as Edison and Theodore Roosevelt.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1109 on: October 31, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
Started watching The Unicorn. Seeing Walton Goggins play a nice guy is jarring. Good show though. He's also a producer. I wonder if this was his idea to get out of being type cast.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: November 01, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »

I agree it will be "interesting" how they handle that aspect; but it's also a minefield of epic proportions.   IF it goes a certain way - and I put "if" in caps for a reason - is it going to be believable that they went 39 years, under the same roof, living in the same family, loving each other (as you do with brothers and sisters), enduring the loss of a beloved and revered Dad, and all of a sudden "Kate and Kevin are racist" (or at least "racially insensitive")?   People grow apart in terms of how they look at things and maybe how they prioritize things, but that seems like a pretty big leap.   I know I'm feeding my beast, here, but I've written a lot about how things that seem to be 'race-based' are perhaps just as often not strictly 'racially' motivated but are in fact HUMAN issues.

on the racial issue... kinda like the rest of society, I'm sure they can play up the 'enough is enough' angle, and while they don't need to make Randall all "you haven't been 'with'' me, so you must've been against me", I'm sure they can/will create some level of friction - not that he and Kevin need anything more.

As for Laurel, they sure as shit hinted at it in the last 90 seconds ... "a year of no surprises", then cut to the fact she didn't die as William had believed.  Interwebz rumour is that it'll be whatever therapist he finds.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1111 on: November 01, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »
Just watched Devilman Crybaby. Pretty good anime, I love this director :metal

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: November 02, 2020, 07:28:42 AM »
Started watching The Unicorn. Seeing Walton Goggins play a nice guy is jarring. Good show though. He's also a producer. I wonder if this was his idea to get out of being type cast.

Are you constantly waiting for him to do something dark?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: November 02, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »

on the racial issue... kinda like the rest of society, I'm sure they can play up the 'enough is enough' angle, and while they don't need to make Randall all "you haven't been 'with'' me, so you must've been against me", I'm sure they can/will create some level of friction - not that he and Kevin need anything more.

As for Laurel, they sure as shit hinted at it in the last 90 seconds ... "a year of no surprises", then cut to the fact she didn't die as William had believed.  Interwebz rumour is that it'll be whatever therapist he finds.

That seems a bit obvious; but it certainly would double down on his mommy issues.   :)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1114 on: November 02, 2020, 11:59:43 AM »

No, but I was expecting the preview for the show to go that direction. Oh, he's a sleazy cheater. Ok, that was unexpected.

It's still very odd watching him. He's almost too nice. The co-stars are much more entertaining though.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #1115 on: November 05, 2020, 07:39:43 AM »
Watched The Queen's Gambit. Beautifully acted and great story. Anya Taylor-Joy is oddly cute.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1116 on: November 05, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »

No, but I was expecting the preview for the show to go that direction. Oh, he's a sleazy cheater. Ok, that was unexpected.

It's still very odd watching him. He's almost too nice. The co-stars are much more entertaining though.

Isn't the co-stars always more entertaining in a sitcom?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1117 on: November 05, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »
Watched The Queen's Gambit. Beautifully acted and great story. Anya Taylor-Joy is oddly cute.

We watched this last week. I never thought a show about chess would keep my interest.

Isn't the co-stars always more entertaining in a sitcom?

True.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1118 on: November 09, 2020, 05:09:16 AM »
Reactived Netflix (I am in basically a lockdown, so I might as well spend some more time indoors....) and I started off all of these:

- Last season of Bojack Horseman
- Second season of Broadchurch
- Snowpiercer
- The Queen's Gambit
- Emily in Paris as a "filler" since the episodes are short (everyone said it sucks so going in with low expectations and just enjoying view of Paris is a good thing)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1119 on: November 16, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »
Guess I can carry on from here. Update on what I just posted:

- I've finished the first half of BoJack Horseman's last season, and by now I'm fully immersed in the show so I'm gonna treasure each episode left, no binging, just one episode per day.
- For a police mystery that was neatly resolved in season 1, I'm surprised how much Broadchurch's second season managed to captivate me. The setting, the characters, the story.... it just takes you in and you feel fully immersed in it. There are courthouse scenes and if you read comments online you realize it's a bit outlandish but all in all Broadchuch has a strong atmosphere and it's a pleasure to watch it. If you have Netflix and you consider watching this.... hurry up, it's gonna be canceled upon 1st of December!
- Snowpiercer.... I watched the movie and so I thought "why not" about the series. It starts kinda meh, there's a whodunnit mystery and once it gets out of the way, things get really going. So if you want to watch it and the first two-three episodes don't seem that great.... hold on, the series take its stride after the beginning and goes on to a fantastic crescendo and a great final episode. Jennifer Connelly is BY FAR the very best thing about this, her character is awesome and she's so expressive with just her eyes. She can be nice, she can be hot, she can be intimidating, she can be sweet and she can be cruel. She carries the show and outshines every other actor on the cast.
- The Queen's Gambit.... quite great. Made me want to play chess again. Anya Taylor Joy is a delight and her story is a great one to follow.
- Emily in Paris is an absolute cheesefest, but if you love Paris and feel like shutting your brain down for a while, it's enjoyable. It's bad, but it's not THAT bad.