Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212827 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #980 on: August 31, 2020, 10:41:52 PM »
Watched S2 of the Umbrella Academy. That is a fun show. The way it left off makes me very curious about S3.

I have the second season episodes of 'the Alienist' on TNT starting to accumulate on my DVR. Just haven't had a chance to really sit and dig into that one yet. S1 was pretty good so I'm looking forward to getting going on this season.
I just finished season 2 of the Umbrella Academy.  REALLY enjoyed it and yeah, season 3 should be interesting.  Also saw on your last post that you're watching Warrior Nun.  I got about 6 episodes in and kinda drifted away.  I need to get back to it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: September 04, 2020, 05:45:12 AM »
I like Rust To Riches and Rust Valley Restorers...

But Rust Valley seems way more scripted. It's an ok show - Avery's speaking voice is higher than I can sing  ;D

But yeah those asides to camera are so weird. Like - they'll be stripping an engine and notice a problem - cut to one of them outside telling you what the problem is IN THE PRESENT TENSE.

Did you stop working and go outside to say that to the camera at that exact moment ?

Also we know what the problem is - you said so whilst you were in the garage. We don't need to hear it twice.

---

I mean obviously all the pieces to camera are all done at once after the days filming - but they're so weird.

Like Mike and Avery will be having a discussion - then it cuts to both of them talking to the camera separately about the problem as if it's their inner monologue.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #982 on: September 04, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
So.... I watch Married At First Sight.  Not sure why but I find it interesting and fascinating (actually, I do know why but for another thread).   Every season there's at least one person that is only there to "work on their brand" (which is whack, because other than Jamie Otis from the first season, literally not one person has "broken out" from the show.   By the way, all the "quoted words" are phrases that drive me bat shit crazy.  Anyway, there's one this season that is befuddling; she is a flight attendent, and her patience is about as much as Trump's, and she has this annoying habit of going "scene!" as if she's in a movie, then carrying on a conversation with one of the producers.   It's off-putting.  You're not an actress, you're a dipshit that thinks that "love" comes from being on a television show (their success rate is only about 25%, much less than "regular").  Couple that with their annoying habit of cutting to the "interview" that is also in the present tense (on one episode the guy - in good health - was commenting in real time about his COVID, and I'm like "do you think we're THAT stupid that we can't see you standing there in good health?  There's no mystery about whether you survive COVID, you moron."   

I kind of wish more people would realize that their intelligence is being so blatantly mocked.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #983 on: September 04, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
I'd rather eat my own pancreas than see that show Stads.  Those reality shows are what's wrong with society these days.  I watch TV to get away from the real life drama.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: September 04, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
I'd rather eat my own pancreas than see that show Stads.  Those reality shows are what's wrong with society these days.  I watch TV to get away from the real life drama.

Yeah, I agree; I find I get little actual enjoyment out of it, to be honest.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #985 on: September 04, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »
To me it's scary that females like drama.  They eat this shit up.  Women thrive with drama.  Us cavemen like simplicity.  We certainly are wired differently. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #986 on: September 04, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »
Started watching "High Score" yesterday.  It is a 6-part documentary on the history of video games, and I watched the first two episodes so far.  The episodes are in the 35-45 minute range, so it's not at all exhaustive, but it's a pretty fun look back at the early days.

I gave up on this about two minutes into episode 5.  The amount of interviews with folks speaking Japanese with subtitles became too much for me.  There wasn't much of anything happening on the screen that required my attention, so it was basically nothing but reading., and if I wanted to read, I'd have cracked a book.  Also, in the third and fourth episodes, the focus seemed to be less on the games and more on how games helped two gay individuals feel more accepted.

I don't really have any exposure to stand up comedians,** and I haven't read any non-sports or music magazines in a long time.  Maybe I've seen her and not known who she was.

** - The exception here is that I will watch the occasional episode of SNL and will check out some SNL sketches on YouTube.  My daughter also recently got me into watching John Mullaney's stand up specials, and I also stumbled on a couple of Jim Gaffigan's specials, both of which were super funny.

So...right after I wrote this, I started watching more of Gaffigan's stuff, and now I'm looking for more.  I started watching Whitney Cummings "I Am Your Girlfriend" and turned it off after about 10 minutes.  It started to sounds like "Why Don't You Like Me?" from that episode of friends.  So now I'm in search of more stand-up stuff.

Is there a dedicated stand-up thread?  I searched but couldn't find one.

I'd rather eat my own pancreas than see that show Stads.

Ditto that!  Stadler's description made it sound like about the worst thing ever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #987 on: September 04, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
Watched the first three episdoes of 'Raised by Wolves' on HBO Max last night. Very cools stuff!! Good to see Travis Fimmel back in a starring role also. It's a Ridley Scott concept and he directed the pilot.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #988 on: September 04, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
 Speaking of stand up, my wife and I have been going back through the Iliza Schlesinger specials on Netflix and just laughing our butts off. I think she’s incredibly funny and very insightful. I especially like that she tends to give a very balanced approach toward feminism. She will stand up for very obvious things that women should stand up for... but then she’s also not afraid to criticize women for where they go too far and stand up for the guys from time to time
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: September 04, 2020, 12:47:09 PM »
Dunno if they're on Netflix where you are - but James Acaster is a great stand up.

His style is borrowed a little from Stewart Lee - who is also great.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #990 on: September 04, 2020, 01:57:23 PM »
Speaking of stand up, my wife and I have been going back through the Iliza Schlesinger specials on Netflix and just laughing our butts off. I think she’s incredibly funny and very insightful. I especially like that she tends to give a very balanced approach toward feminism. She will stand up for very obvious things that women should stand up for... but then she’s also not afraid to criticize women for where they go too far and stand up for the guys from time to time

Funny you should mention her.  After turning off and deleting the Whitney Cummings show, I started watching "Elder Millennial."  Only got 10-15 minutes into it before getting tired and turning it off, but I was quite entertained, so I'll continue with it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: September 05, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »
I can't stand the Married at first sight and 90 day fiance shows.  Even worse, I will be on the computer with my back to the TV and my wife watching them.  While watching she will be gaming on her phone and have to rewind constantly.  I hear the same segments over and over again.  NOW she has started watching repeats!  I'm truly doomed! :lol

She got me to start watching Yellowstone season one yesterday.   I didn't think I would like it but surprisingly it's pretty good!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #992 on: September 05, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »

I dunno. I looooooved War Paint. But after that it was harder to relate too. It just feels like she thinks every guy is a mentally challenged horny all the time gym rat who lives and breathes machismo. I just felt kind of uninterested after a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #993 on: September 05, 2020, 03:10:54 PM »

I dunno. I looooooved War Paint. But after that it was harder to relate too. It just feels like she thinks every guy is a mentally challenged horny all the time gym rat who lives and breathes machismo. I just felt kind of uninterested after a while.

She probably sees a lot of that living in the city.   She obviously didn't marry that...but I don't doubt for a second that she's giving an accurate account of the female experience.   Especially in clubs. 

I re-watched Elder Millennial last night with the wife, and we both agree she was on fire for that particular special.  It's probably the best of the 5 she's made.   Really liked War Paint and Freezing Hot, but Confirmed Kills didn't bring the goods.  I think that was the one where she went from "every day life as a woman" jokes to attempting to get into deeper social issues, and she hadn't really found her footing on the deeper subject matter.   But on Elder Millennial, she absolutely hit it out of the park.  Perfect balance of the two approaches.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #994 on: September 05, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
I re-watched Elder Millennial last night with the wife, and we both agree she was on fire for that particular special.  It's probably the best of the 5 she's made.   Really liked War Paint and Freezing Hot, but Confirmed Kills didn't bring the goods.  I think that was the one where she went from "every day life as a woman" jokes to attempting to get into deeper social issues, and she hadn't really found her footing on the deeper subject matter.   But on Elder Millennial, she absolutely hit it out of the park.  Perfect balance of the two approaches.

I watched about half an hour and ended up bored out of my mind.  I kept skipping 5 minutes ahead hoping she might move onto another subject, but she never did.

I then started watching one of Bill Burr's stand-ups, and a good chunk of it felt like the male side of the same coin.  Fortunately, he DID change subjects.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #995 on: September 05, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »
She does do a lot of long setups to a big payoff. I enjoy it when any comedian does that. It’s like movements in a symphony (or a long prog tune  :angel: ). But ya...if I need something more ADD I always go back to Mitch Hedberg. Man I wish his specials were streaming somewhere. I miss that guy so much.

Sometimes I just laugh...but other times I just think about his life and then watch one of his shows feels like a gut punch.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: September 06, 2020, 03:00:40 AM »
Started watching Away on Netflix, a show about astrounats going to Mars.
Already in the first episode they start arguing over an incident involving the commander if she's fit to be leader even though everything went well, here we go again.  :facepalm:

Drama drama drama

Why do I bother watching new sci-fi shows?  :-\

I have a hard time imagining modern day astrounats throwing tantrums as soon as the commander does a quick decision they don't agree with. Get over it and move on.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: September 06, 2020, 05:21:59 AM »
Already in the first episode they start arguing over an incident involving the commander if she's fit to be leader even though everything went well, here we go again.  :facepalm:

Drama drama drama

I have a hard time imagining modern day astrounats throwing tantrums as soon as the commander does a quick decision they don't agree with. Get over it and move on.
We just started it last night also.  I agree, the drama surrounding the Commander was a little far fetched.  Other than that though it's enjoyable so far!  The untethered spacewalk acrobatics was another unrealistic aspect.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #998 on: September 06, 2020, 08:50:26 AM »

Drama drama drama

We just started it last night also.  I agree, the drama surrounding the Commander was a little far fetched.  Other than that though it's enjoyable so far!  The untethered spacewalk acrobatics was another unrealistic aspect.
I've only seen the first episode but i'm gonna continue anyway and give it a chance.

Edit: I'm sad to say I gave up in the middle of E03. It's just to much drama for me and honestly i'm wondering if they even had some NASA or spaceperson overlooking the project because this is a family drama show disguised in a space setting.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:52:33 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #999 on: September 06, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »

Drama drama drama

I've only seen the first episode but i'm gonna continue anyway and give it a chance.

Edit: I'm sad to say I gave up in the middle of E03. It's just to much drama for me and honestly i'm wondering if they even had some NASA or spaceperson overlooking the project because this is a family drama show disguised in a space setting.

If you want a good space exploration show you should watch 'MARS'. It's done really well as they cut to real life scientists, economists, politicians etc etc as they're telling the story. The production of the actual show is really good. It's a really well done series. I think there are only two seasons right now.....I haven't checked to see if there is a third planned or not.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1000 on: September 06, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »

Drama drama drama

If you want a good space exploration show you should watch 'MARS'. It's done really well as they cut to real life scientists, economists, politicians etc etc as they're telling the story. The production of the actual show is really good. It's a really well done series. I think there are only two seasons right now.....I haven't checked to see if there is a third planned or not.
Yea that's a good show, i've seen the first season but haven't watched the 2nd yet.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: September 06, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »
Agreed, MARS was a good show!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #1002 on: September 08, 2020, 05:15:00 AM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

You are correct, Sir. I watched the whole thing and I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of the family drama crap.
This could have been so good, but I say BLAH!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1003 on: September 08, 2020, 07:37:47 AM »
I don't know why but I just could not sleep last night. I found myself on the couch at 1 AM watching The Simpsons for the first time, starting with the pilot episode. Things I have learned: "El Barto" is an early Simpsons reference. "Kwyjibo" is an early Simpsons reference. What other Simpsons references am I going to discover on DTF next?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1004 on: September 08, 2020, 08:03:21 AM »
Things I have learned: "El Barto" is an early Simpsons reference. "Kwyjibo" is an early Simpsons reference. What other Simpsons references am I going to discover on DTF next?  :lol
With the amount of fogies on this board, prepare to hear a lot of familiar material from Grandpa Simpson :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »
I don't know why but I just could not sleep last night. I found myself on the couch at 1 AM watching The Simpsons for the first time, starting with the pilot episode. Things I have learned: "El Barto" is an early Simpsons reference. "Kwyjibo" is an early Simpsons reference. What other Simpsons references am I going to discover on DTF next?  :lol

Huh.  I knew El Barto, I did not know "Kwyjibo".  Then again, I only casually watch the show myself.   Let me know what else you learn!   :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: September 08, 2020, 08:08:58 AM »

Huh.  I knew El Barto, I did not know "Kwyjibo".  Then again, I only casually watch the show myself.   Let me know what else you learn!   :)

I think it's the very first episode after the pilot, maybe the second; the family is playing Scrabble, and Bart gets bored and quits the game by playing all his letters. "Kwyjibo! Triple word score okay bye" before Homer almost whips his ass for being sarcastic :lol

Things I have learned: "El Barto" is an early Simpsons reference. "Kwyjibo" is an early Simpsons reference. What other Simpsons references am I going to discover on DTF next?  :lol
With the amount of fogies on this board, prepare to hear a lot of familiar material from Grandpa Simpson :rollin

I think the only other Simpsons references I know are "everything's coming up Milhouse" and Ralph's "haha, I'm in danger!"
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1007 on: September 08, 2020, 08:32:37 AM »
Watched both seasons of Cobra Kai this weekend. Pure awesome! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1008 on: September 08, 2020, 11:02:44 AM »

You could have had a closer look at my avatar.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: September 08, 2020, 11:21:29 AM »

You could have had a closer look at my avatar.  ;)

Omg. Did you have that avatar during my roulette last summer? I swear I've never seen that!  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1010 on: September 08, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »
I have from day one here at the forum  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: September 08, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
Well at least I can confirm that I am, in fact, stupid.  :facepalm: :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: September 08, 2020, 12:12:25 PM »
Wow.  I'm with you.  Totally missed it.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1013 on: September 08, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »

I watched about half an hour and ended up bored out of my mind.  I kept skipping 5 minutes ahead hoping she might move onto another subject, but she never did.

I then started watching one of Bill Burr's stand-ups, and a good chunk of it felt like the male side of the same coin.  Fortunately, he DID change subjects.

Over the weekend, I watched and enjoyed specials by Kathleen Madigan, Tom Papa and Todd Barry.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: September 09, 2020, 07:55:10 AM »

Over the weekend, I watched and enjoyed specials by Kathleen Madigan, Tom Papa and Todd Barry.

I don't know Todd Barry, but the other two are funny.

I'm sort of over the "stand-up comedian as social commentator", except on the most basic of subjects.  The last one I watched along those lines was the Dave Chappell one and the one before that was Whitney Cummings.   OK funny, but it just started to have the faint whiff of political rally, and I'm just not interested in that.   

I long for the days of Seinfeld and his "The cellphone.  Why do we call it a phone, when no one uses it to call?" bits.