Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218141 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #875 on: July 10, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
I binged a short series: After Life.

I wish I would have seen it sooner. Starts with a very cynical, bitter and depressed man distraught by the death of his life that behaves like a angry (but witty) asshole to everyone, but it's far from behing a nihilistic experience - it becomes surprising and heartwarming. Highly suggested.

I enjoyed Afterlife to an extent. First season was pretty darn good.....but, the second season was a let down in the sense that it was literally the exact same as the first season. It was just and extended first season. Nothing new happened....it was just more of the same.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #876 on: July 10, 2020, 10:42:39 AM »
So...my relationship with my 16yo daughter has been AWESOME, and we spend a lot of time together watching movies and TV shows.  She loves Friends, and we've seen every episode together multiple times.

One thing we started watching earlier this week is Sabrina the Teenage Witch (the Melissa Joan Hart series, not the new one, which she has also watched, but I haven't).  Sabrina is a show that my wife and I watched when it was initially on in the 90s.  Just kind of dumb fun, and I thought at the time that Beth Broderick was pretty hot.  We were watching it last night, and I said to her, "imagine if people at your school dressed like these kids did in the show."  It's actually pretty hilarious.  The girls all look like they're dressed up for a date...every day...at school.  And then I noticed that Zelda and Hilda did the same thing...just sitting around their house.  And the pantyhose budget on that show alone must have been insane (not that I'm complaining (all of the main female characters were played by adults)).  My daughter said, "I see someone every day who basically is wearing pajamas at school.  Heck, I'VE worn pajamas to school!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #877 on: July 10, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
So...my relationship with my 16yo daughter has been AWESOME, and we spend a lot of time together watching movies and TV shows.  She loves Friends, and we've seen every episode together multiple times.

One thing we started watching earlier this week is Sabrina the Teenage Witch (the Melissa Joan Hart series, not the new one, which she has also watched, but I haven't).  Sabrina is a show that my wife and I watched when it was initially on in the 90s.  Just kind of dumb fun, and I thought at the time that Beth Broderick was pretty hot.  We were watching it last night, and I said to her, "imagine if people at your school dressed like these kids did in the show."  It's actually pretty hilarious.  The girls all look like they're dressed up for a date...every day...at school.  And then I noticed that Zelda and Hilda did the same thing...just sitting around their house.  And the pantyhose budget on that show alone must have been insane (not that I'm complaining (all of the main female characters were played by adults)).  My daughter said, "I see someone every day who basically is wearing pajamas at school.  Heck, I'VE worn pajamas to school!"

I'll give you that. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: July 11, 2020, 10:20:18 AM »
Just started "Queen of the South" .  Three episodes in and so far not too bad!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #879 on: July 12, 2020, 08:23:04 AM »

Dead to Me. Black comedy (or dramedy) revolving around the mystery of who ran over and killed the protagonist's husband. Liked it overall, but definitively didn't love it, I won't bother with a third season.

I still don't get how that is called a comedy, or even a black comedy.  It is a drama.  My theory is that Netflix and the showrunner are calling it a black comedy for Emmy purposes, as the competition is a lot tougher in drama nowadays than comedy. 

The show is fairly contrived, and I still contend that it borrows heavily from the Big Little Lies playbook, but the performances by Applegate and Cardellini make it worth watching.  The third season will be the last, so I will watch. And the seasons are short, with the episodes at 30 minutes, so it's not much time invested (relative to other shows nowadays).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #880 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
We binged Warrior Nun.  I really enjoyed it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: July 12, 2020, 01:25:38 PM »
We binged Warrior Nun.  I really enjoyed it.
I'm on episode 5 I think?  Not bad!!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #882 on: July 14, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
I tried really really hard to get into Mr. Robot. I thought I was hooked by the end of the second episode. By the 7th or 8th episode, I found myself gravitating toward my phone more frequently, disinterested in what was happening. I called it quits during S2E2. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #883 on: July 14, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
Different strokes for different folks and all that. Truthfully if the first season didn't grab you then the show might not be for you but IMO season 3 & 4 are amazing because of the setups in season 1 & 2. For me it's the show that is right there with Breaking Bad as top tier.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #884 on: July 14, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
Different strokes for different folks and all that. Truthfully if the first season didn't grab you then the show might not be for you but IMO season 3 & 4 are amazing because of the setups in season 1 & 2. For me it's the show that is right there with Breaking Bad as top tier.

It reminded me a lot of my experience with Fringe (quit in the middle of season 3). It had an amazing base concept, but that got muddied by weird and unbelievable characters. I also didn't like how the show used the narrating as basically a way to explain the show to the lowest common denominator. Like when Elliot met Shayla's man/dealer. He went into a long bit explaining why hacking and turning him in would mean no more drugs, something that should be quite obvious. Like Fringe, I felt like this show could have been awesome if it wasn't trying to appeal to everyone with a TV.

Online faizoff

« Reply #885 on: July 14, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »
I think the narrator is one of the best parts of the show. It's an unreliable narrator and you can't believe everything they say due to the issues that surround him. Just want to add that season 2 is a slow burn, season 3 is flat out amazing and then season 4 has some of the best everything a show could ask for.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #886 on: July 14, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »
I think the narrator is one of the best parts of the show. It's an unreliable narrator and you can't believe everything they say due to the issues that surround him. Just want to add that season 2 is a slow burn, season 3 is flat out amazing and then season 4 has some of the best everything a show could ask for.

I was going back and forth with this as I realized how fucked in the head Elliot actually is. I looked at this as a way for the writers to get lazy, able to just throw in twists and shock willy nilly, all because they can keep it safe under the impenetrable "Elliot is very mentally ill" umbrella. I got legit angry when we learned his father's presence was a hallucination the whole time. I mean, I get why they did it, but I felt it was kind of lame. I'm sure it's super integral to the story (at least I would hope so), but it wasn't doing it for me.

I might let it simmer and revisit it. I watched it because Gary has gone on and on about it for years, and he and I usually seem to have similar tastes in shows. Last time I trust him!  :corn

Online faizoff

« Reply #887 on: July 14, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »

I might let it simmer and revisit it. I watched it because Gary has gone on and on about it for years, and he and I usually seem to have similar tastes in shows. Last time I trust him!  :corn

LOL. Yeah he and me are huge fans of the show. The rewatch is what made me a bigger fan of the show. The whole 4 seasons and story were planned ahead so you're watching a preplanned character arc, you might enjoy aspects of season 3 & 4. But my feeling is, based on what you've already said, this show will fall somewhere in the middle for you.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #888 on: July 14, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »

LOL. Yeah he and me are huge fans of the show. The rewatch is what made me a bigger fan of the show. The whole 4 seasons and story were planned ahead so you're watching a preplanned character arc, you might enjoy aspects of season 3 & 4. But my feeling is, based on what you've already said, this show will fall somewhere in the middle for you.

I wasn't aware of that and that could change things I suppose. Last thing I wanted was for it to go all LOST on me and just wing every season on the fly.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #889 on: July 14, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »
Season 2 for Mr. Robot is the steepest mountain to climb, and I can see how it might be a turnoff. As it has been said - tastes and all, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But if you manage to sit through season 2, especially the first half, season 3 pays you back THOUSANDFOLD. Season 2 is a necessary chore to go through because it sets up the unbridled awesomeness that is season 3.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: July 14, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
Started watching two shows this week, Homeland Season 8 and The Haunting of Hill House, both off to good starts  :yarr

Online faizoff

« Reply #891 on: July 14, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
The Haunting of Hill House, both off to good starts  :yarr

Haunting of Hill House is amazing, I enjoyed all episodes of it and can't wait for the 2nd season where they tackle another house/story.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: July 14, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »
The Haunting of Hill House, both off to good starts  :yarr

Haunting of Hill House is amazing, I enjoyed all episodes of it and can't wait for the 2nd season where they tackle another house/story.

Ah that's cool they are doing another story after this.  Only two episodes in and am hooked

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #893 on: July 14, 2020, 12:40:31 PM »
The bent neck lady  :eek :eek :eek
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #894 on: July 14, 2020, 09:13:39 PM »
Started Tales from the Loop, good stuff. The third episode was some excellent sci fi storytelling.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: July 14, 2020, 10:29:05 PM »
Started Tales from the Loop, good stuff. The third episode was some excellent sci fi storytelling.

Great series

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #896 on: July 15, 2020, 06:35:33 AM »
Just finished "Stateless" on Amazon. Highly recommend it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateless_(TV_series)

Loved it so much, I had to watch the whole series in almost one sitting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #897 on: July 15, 2020, 08:24:19 AM »
Currently watching Perry Mason on HBO and Schitt's Creek on Netflix.

Currently re-watching Fringe on IMDB through Amazon, and ER on Hulu.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: July 15, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »
Currently re-watching Fringe

Been thinking of doing a re-watch of that one. REALLY liked it when it was out, thought it was a solid series......plus Anna Torv is pretty easy on the eyes......

Offline pg1067

« Reply #899 on: July 15, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
Started watching Good Omens last night.

Not entirely sold on it, but I'm intrigued.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #900 on: July 15, 2020, 12:30:20 PM »
Rewatching Orange is the NewBlack.  Lots of great characters in the show.  Nicky from the show has a series called Russian Dolls.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #901 on: July 15, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
Rewatching Orange is the NewBlack.  Lots of great characters in the show.  Nicky from the show has a series called Russian Dolls.

Great show for the first few seasons. Eventually it starts to fall apart, but the characters are still mostly great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #902 on: July 15, 2020, 01:09:26 PM »
We just watched the first episode of the BBC's Sherlock. Looking forward to binging it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: July 15, 2020, 04:21:41 PM »
We just watched the first episode of the BBC's Sherlock. Looking forward to binging it.

Awesome stuff! I wish they had more seasons but getting that cast of actors together is tough. Cumberbatch is incredible at Holmes.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #904 on: July 16, 2020, 01:12:49 AM »

Awesome stuff! I wish they had more seasons but getting that cast of actors together is tough. Cumberbatch is incredible at Holmes.

Indeed, he completely sold me right in the middle of the first episode.

Watson: "What do you do?"
Holmes: "I'm a civil consultant"
Watson: "The police doesn't work with amateurs"
Holmes: "[5 minutes description of everything about Watson's life just by few little details here and there] see, you were right"
Watson: "About what?"
Holmes: "The police doesn't work with amateurs"

Mic drop  ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #905 on: July 16, 2020, 02:22:21 AM »

Started it too, I'm two episodes in. Not completely sold, but surely intrigued.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #906 on: July 16, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
Oh man, that's good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #907 on: July 16, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
90 day fiance

Yikes, what a show  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #908 on: July 16, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »
90 day fiance

Yikes, what a show  :lol

Which one (there are a couple iterations).  We've been watching the "Before The 90 Days" and it's jaw-dropping.  Some of these people simply have no shame whatsoever. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #909 on: July 16, 2020, 04:00:20 PM »
Currently re-watching Fringe

Been thinking of doing a re-watch of that one. REALLY liked it when it was out, thought it was a solid series......plus Anna Torv is pretty easy on the eyes......

Understatement of the year, she is downright mesmerizing.

Had to put Tales from the Loop on hold since a friend told me about Devs and now I'm binging that  :lol