Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218753 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2905 on: July 08, 2023, 03:57:06 PM »
I finished Cheers season 5 last night.  Holy fuck did they make Diane annoying on her way out.

The last scene with her and Sam is great, though, with it panning to the fast forward of them dancing as an older couple with the music playing.  Where did you watch it? I am curious if the song played at the end was the one originally used (if not, the scene doesn't hit nearly as hard).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2906 on: July 08, 2023, 10:52:01 PM »
I finished Cheers season 5 last night.  Holy fuck did they make Diane annoying on her way out.

The last scene with her and Sam is great, though, with it panning to the fast forward of them dancing as an older couple with the music playing.  Where did you watch it? I am curious if the song played at the end was the one originally used (if not, the scene doesn't hit nearly as hard).

Watching on Paramount Plus.  The final scene didn't do much for me - primarily because I was happy to be seeing her going.  I'm sure it was different in real time or if one didn't know what was coming.  According to Shazam, the song that played over the final scene was something called "Forever Love" by Luke Rackers.  It was just a solo piano piece.  Based on your description, I'm guessing it was not the same as what was originally aired.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2907 on: July 09, 2023, 05:23:43 AM »

Watching on Paramount Plus.  The final scene didn't do much for me - primarily because I was happy to be seeing her going.  I'm sure it was different in real time or if one didn't know what was coming.  According to Shazam, the song that played over the final scene was something called "Forever Love" by Luke Rackers.  It was just a solo piano piece.  Based on your description, I'm guessing it was not the same as what was originally aired.

Yeah, that was different, likely changed for streaming.  Ugh.

This is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGSxc1RqWE

Edit: it was pretty well known at the time that Long was leaving the show, so everyone knew that the end of Season 5 was Diane's departure.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 08:27:03 AM by KevShmev »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2908 on: July 09, 2023, 08:17:18 AM »
Watched the first two episodes of S4 of 'Jack Ryan' on Prime. Man.....I certainly hope it picks up. I enjoyed the other seasons enough....they were entertaining but this one is off to a boring freaking start. I can see why they said this was it. Rudimentary writing....super slow pace....predictable outcomes already.....I'll stick around to see if it picks up but there was a moment last night where I just about threw in the towel.

……….aaaannnddd I watched the next two episodes. This is just a horrible season. I mean, it is almost comical bad. I’m now stuck with the choice on whether to keep watching just to see if there is any ROI on the trash I’ve watched so far or just pull the plug and let it go.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2909 on: July 09, 2023, 02:19:45 PM »

Edit: it was pretty well known at the time that Long was leaving the show, so everyone knew that the end of Season 5 was Diane's departure.

That's pretty similar to what they had on streaming - nondescript solo piano piece.

And now that I'm a few episodes into season 6, I'm wondering who had bigger shoulder pads:  Kirstie Alley or Brian Bosworth.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2910 on: July 10, 2023, 06:02:52 AM »
I am loving the second season of The Bear.  The Christmas flashback episode was absolutely incredible, and should win an Emmy for, well, something, I don't know.

This morning, I watched the next episode, with Richie at the other restaurant.  Simply fantastic.  The outside starpower making guest appearances is incredible.  3 episodes to go.

I just wrapped this season up last night. Absolutely stellar. The two episodes you referenced were some of the best television I've watched in a loooong time, and the fact that we got two of that caliber back-to-back was great.

For all of the attention to detail to this show, I have to say, I don't think that cooler would have passed inspection if you couldn't get out from the inside. I've never been in a walk-in that didn't have a giant, glow in the dark button on the inside for an emergency out. That was honestly my only gripe the entire season.

Gonna fire up Jury Duty on Amazon Freevee.  It appears to be another Joe Schmo Show situation - "It follows the workings of an American jury trial through the eyes of Ronald Gladden, a juror who is unaware the entire case is fake. Everyone except him is an actor, and everything that happens is carefully planned."

I absolutely loved Jury Duty.

The Mick.

On Netflix. Hilarious.

It's criminal that that show got cancelled after just two season. We've watched them more times than I can count at this point. . 

Fun fact about that show: It's suppose to take place in Greenwich CT, and there's a scene in a jail where you see a guy getting "Brass City" tattooed on his chest. The "Brass City" is Waterbury CT, which is where I live!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2911 on: July 10, 2023, 03:10:51 PM »

That's pretty similar to what they had on streaming - nondescript solo piano piece.

And now that I'm a few episodes into season 6, I'm wondering who had bigger shoulder pads:  Kirstie Alley or Brian Bosworth.

I wouldn't describe the original piece as nondescript. I feel it has a powerful resonance, almost a bit of that "what could have been" element had Sam and Diane gotten married and grown old together. 

Season 6 is a GREAT season.  So many great episodes. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2912 on: July 10, 2023, 05:23:15 PM »

It's quite a breath of fresh air so far.  A real palate cleanser after getting rid of Diane.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2913 on: July 10, 2023, 06:12:21 PM »

It's quite a breath of fresh air so far.  A real palate cleanser after getting rid of Diane.

What I liked is how involved they had the other bar patrons at times, like all the guys out of the main cast who were there for Frasier's bachelor party.  Not that they were given a ton of lines, but they were just there a lot hanging out and drinking, which made the bar look more full and really helped with the show becoming more of the ensemble it became in the post-Diane years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2914 on: July 11, 2023, 08:10:50 AM »
Finished Silo last night.  Wow what a show.  First time in awhile that I felt like I just wanted to keep watching and watching.  We ended up staying up till 1am to finish last night because I just couldn't turn it off (nor fall asleep).  Reminds me a lot of Lost.  Highly recommended for anyone who likes a good "wtf is going on?" type of show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: July 11, 2023, 08:51:13 AM »
Finished Silo last night.  Wow what a show.  First time in awhile that I felt like I just wanted to keep watching and watching.  We ended up staying up till 1am to finish last night because I just couldn't turn it off (nor fall asleep).  Reminds me a lot of Lost.  Highly recommended for anyone who likes a good "wtf is going on?" type of show.

Yeah.....it's a good show. Apple TV doesn't have many clunkers. Just curious now with the writers strike how long we will have to wait for S2

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2916 on: July 12, 2023, 11:36:33 AM »

Yeah.....it's a good show. Apple TV doesn't have many clunkers. Just curious now with the writers strike how long we will have to wait for S2

Since we finished, we watched the first episode of Severence last night and both of us were not too interested and bored.  I assume it gets better and interesting (it's just incredibly too quiet) but since we both didn't enjoy the first episode, I don't know if we will continue. Personally I thought it ended in a way to want to give it another episode, but my gf may shoot it down.

And honestly, I kind of disagree with Apple TV.  Silo was the first show I really liked with Apple TV, the rest are just OK so far (and I think the acting on Silo is so-so, it's just a great mystery story for me).  To me, it feels like Apple TV gets a lot of big name celebrities but with very mediocre scripts/stories/direction. Silo was based off a book series so I think that's why that show may have worked over the others. Granted, I have only dipped into the Apple TV shows for a month or two now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: July 12, 2023, 11:51:18 AM »

Since we finished, we watched the first episode of Severence last night and both of us were not too interested and bored.  I assume it gets better and interesting (it's just incredibly too quiet) but since we both didn't enjoy the first episode, I don't know if we will continue. Personally I thought it ended in a way to want to give it another episode, but my gf may shoot it down.

And honestly, I kind of disagree with Apple TV.  Silo was the first show I really liked with Apple TV, the rest are just OK so far (and I think the acting on Silo is so-so, it's just a great mystery story for me).  To me, it feels like Apple TV gets a lot of big name celebrities but with very mediocre scripts/stories/direction. Silo was based off a book series so I think that's why that show may have worked over the others. Granted, I have only dipped into the Apple TV shows for a month or two now.

There is nothing 'fast paced' about Severance. It's a very 'heady' show......driven by dialogue and the acting. The premise is cool. I enjoyed it a lot but can totally see how some folks are turned off by it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2918 on: July 12, 2023, 11:53:55 AM »
Severance was fantastic. It's a slow burn for sure, but the payoff is worth every second. By the time the last episode or two came around, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. That show was so uncomfortably awesome, and fresh, and I'm a sucker for Adam Scott.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2919 on: July 12, 2023, 11:56:53 AM »
Adam Scott kind of annoys me, for no reason at all that I can actually think of.  Maybe just because he's the asshole in Step brothers  :lol but he's not the reason the first episode didn't click. It was the pacing and the lack of any noise really.  The premise was interesting. It actually did give me a bit of a Breaking Bad feel with that slow pace from the first season.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2920 on: July 12, 2023, 12:06:37 PM »
I'd recommend giving it a go, even if you save it for one of your trips when you're away from your GF and need to kill time. Her loss!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2921 on: July 12, 2023, 12:06:45 PM »
Severance is fantastic. I have rewatched it a few times now because it is so good.

On a different not, why the heck is The Bear lumped in as a Comedy? It is not a comedy at all. Yes, there is some levity but I would not call it a comedy in any way, shape or form. I think it does a disservice to the actors and the show in calling it a comedy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2922 on: July 12, 2023, 12:09:04 PM »
I'd recommend giving it a go, even if you save it for one of your trips when you're away from your GF and need to kill time. Her loss!

Yeah true, I just hardly watch TV shows on my own these days.  I'd rather game.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2923 on: July 12, 2023, 12:12:02 PM »
Severance is fantastic. I have rewatched it a few times now because it is so good.

On a different not, why the heck is The Bear lumped in as a Comedy? It is not a comedy at all. Yes, there is some levity but I would not call it a comedy in any way, shape or form. I think it does a disservice to the actors and the show in calling it a comedy.

I find myself laughing quite a bit in that show. I'd say pretty much any scene involving Fak is comedic, as well as a lot of the scenes Richie is in. Maybe they weren't meant to elicit laughs, but the scene where they drug all the kids at the party was hilarious. Richie jamming out to T-Swift and repeatedly telling everyone "I wear suits now" got laughs from me as well.     

"Micro Basil?! Fuck yes!"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2924 on: July 12, 2023, 12:51:46 PM »
Adam Scott kind of annoys me, for no reason at all that I can actually think of.  Maybe just because he's the asshole in Step brothers  :lol but he's not the reason the first episode didn't click. It was the pacing and the lack of any noise really.  The premise was interesting. It actually did give me a bit of a Breaking Bad feel with that slow pace from the first season.

I'm kind of with you on Adam Scott too and I can't tell you why either.  He's not very... warm, but that doesn't really cover it, because you don't have to be warm to be engaging (Clint Eastwood). 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: July 12, 2023, 12:52:51 PM »

I'm kind of with you on Adam Scott too and I can't tell you why either.  He's not very... warm, but that doesn't really cover it, because you don't have to be warm to be engaging (Clint Eastwood).

I've liked a lot of his stuff. I loved his character in 'Parks and Recreation'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: July 12, 2023, 07:15:51 PM »
Any time I see the name Adam Scott I think of the golfer. I had never heard of the actor Adam Scott before seeing him in this video. Which I have watched about 26 times. I still have never seen him in any other context.

If you can, try to watch it without reading the title/description of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7kT1JDdoJQ
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2927 on: July 13, 2023, 04:00:06 AM »
After probably more than one year since I watched season 1 (and a much needed recap video on YouTube), I started season 2 of The Leftovers.

Also I'm back with Schitt's Creek, season 3!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2928 on: July 13, 2023, 08:00:37 AM »
Actors are going on strike now. Guess this gives people time to catch up on older stuff. Going to be a long time before anything new comes along after they push out whatever they have in the can.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2929 on: July 13, 2023, 08:10:22 AM »
Actors are going on strike now. Guess this gives people time to catch up on older stuff. Going to be a long time before anything new comes along after they push out whatever they have in the can.

Yep. I just added Showtime to my Paramount subscription....so I now have access to 'Yellowjackets' I heard that was good. Also, can knock out that 'new' season of Dexter. Been wanting to watch 'For All Manking' on Apple too.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2930 on: July 13, 2023, 11:50:04 AM »
Just finished the new "Night Court"
About to finish the original"The outer limits"
Started "1899"
About to start "Dead ringers" and "The righteous Gemstones" season 3
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2931 on: July 14, 2023, 10:19:40 AM »
Actors are going on strike now.

I really hope this helps move negotiations along.  TV writing and viewing has changed so much in the 15-20 years since the last strike and the writers need to see those changes represented in how they earn money.  Variety had a great explanation when the strike began.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2932 on: July 14, 2023, 10:24:02 AM »
New Netflix series “Quarterback” is out, watched the first episode. Really well done, in depth look at what it involves to play the toughest position in sports. The commitment, the grind, the pain, balancing work with family, the crushing weight of fans’ expectations.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2933 on: July 14, 2023, 10:25:45 AM »
Actors are going on strike now.

I really hope this helps move negotiations along.  TV writing and viewing has changed so much in the 15-20 years since the last strike and the writers need to see those changes represented in how they earn money.  Variety had a great explanation when the strike began.

I hope it ends soon, but the suits never want to give up any of their billions. Just ask pro sports teams’ owners.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2934 on: July 14, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »
My wife and I watched that documentary on Woodstock 99' last night on Netflix. Holy crap....I mean....I remember it and all that but must have totally forgot what a massive cluster it was. And, really forgot about the destruction that Sunday brought.

What was clear was that the two main organizers (Lang and Scher) were greedy and cut WAY too many corners. The level of incompetence was staggering and even in that documentary they denied that anything was their fault....always blaming and finger pointing and refusing to admit they were the issue.

Fascinating documentary though.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2935 on: July 14, 2023, 12:03:49 PM »
I saw it as well, I agree with you - wow, what a disaster. Great documentary which should be a textbook about how NOT to run a festival.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2936 on: July 14, 2023, 12:07:30 PM »
New Netflix series “Quarterback” is out, watched the first episode. Really well done, in depth look at what it involves to play the toughest position in sports. The commitment, the grind, the pain, balancing work with family, the crushing weight of fans’ expectations.

I watched the first episode and I liked it too. Going to try and catch the rest of them during the weekend.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2937 on: July 14, 2023, 12:11:46 PM »
My wife and I watched that documentary on Woodstock 99' last night on Netflix. Holy crap....I mean....I remember it and all that but must have totally forgot what a massive cluster it was. And, really forgot about the destruction that Sunday brought.

What was clear was that the two main organizers (Lang and Scher) were greedy and cut WAY too many corners. The level of incompetence was staggering and even in that documentary they denied that anything was their fault....always blaming and finger pointing and refusing to admit they were the issue.

I loved that documentary.  I think HBO had one that came out around the same time as well.  Both were fun to watch and pointed out that it was the perfect storm of Nu metal angst, Girls Gone Wild / frat-boy societal behavior and the poor festival conditions that led to the awfulness.  I can't remember which one had the interview with the paramedic that had the 16 year old girl in his ambulance, but that moment made me feel so sick to my stomach. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: July 14, 2023, 12:40:03 PM »

I loved that documentary.  I think HBO had one that came out around the same time as well.  Both were fun to watch and pointed out that it was the perfect storm of Nu metal angst, Girls Gone Wild / frat-boy societal behavior and the poor festival conditions that led to the awfulness. I can't remember which one had the interview with the paramedic that had the 16 year old girl in his ambulance, but that moment made me feel so sick to my stomach.

That was covered in this one. Utterly sickening. The multiple sexual assaults were reported and the probably countless others that weren't was brutal....yet....I would say unfortunately expected.

One of the ladies they highlighted in the documentary was 14 when she attended. 14!!!! How the hell do you allow your 14 year old daughter to attend that concert!!?? Much less 16/17 year old daughter? There's no freaking way if I had a daughter those ages I'd allow her to even go to a concert without me....much less one with 250k people at it. Anyway...I don't want to victim blame because they shouldn't have to worry about that happening to them. The "security" at that concert was another failure and joke...but how do you monitor that large a group of people?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: July 14, 2023, 12:40:53 PM »

I watched the first episode and I liked it too. Going to try and catch the rest of them during the weekend.

Was going to watch this one because we also knocked out the "Full Swing' docu-series that followed the PGA guys. Really good