Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 216192 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2800 on: June 07, 2023, 04:20:14 PM »
Manifest on Netflix. 10 new episodes just dropped June 2.

The show from NBC about the plane crash?  Is that picking up where the network show left off?  Are there episodes in between?

The plane one yes. Netflix picked it up seamlessly after it was dropped from NBC. You have some watching and catching up to do now. Its worth it though.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #2801 on: June 07, 2023, 05:41:30 PM »
Finished the second season of Yellowjackets the other night. Not as strong as the first, but good enough to keep me on board for season 3. I read that they have 5 seasons planned, but I don’t see how they can stretch this story out that much. 4 seems like plenty.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2802 on: June 07, 2023, 08:16:22 PM »
Finished the second season of Yellowjackets the other night. Not as strong as the first, but good enough to keep me on board for season 3. I read that they have 5 seasons planned, but I don’t see how they can stretch this story out that much. 4 seems like plenty.

I enjoyed Season 1 quite a bit, but lost interest in Season 2 pretty early on and stopped watching.  I was bummed, too, as I was looking forward to seeing Lauren Ambrose, whom I loved in Six Feet Under, but I was just bored with the show.  Seems like I made the right choice based on what I have read elsewhere on the 'net.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: June 07, 2023, 08:24:40 PM »
Yeah it reminded me of season 2 of the Walking Dead, where they were stuck on that stupid farm for a whole season. Lots of character development, but not much else.

Lauren Ambrose was perfectly cast in her role. Highlight of the season.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2804 on: June 07, 2023, 09:26:02 PM »
That's the right observation. It definitely felt like season 2 of the walking dead where they need to just stretch things out. I too am skeptical of this 5 season arc the showrunners say they have planned. Unless things change quite a bit in season 3, it's going to get very dull with the same settings being revisited.

I'm still unsure of what to think of the show overall so far with two seasons under the belt. It's got a Lost vibe and certainly has very talented actors and mostly intriguing storylines and characters but there's something a miss with it all. Maybe it's the snail pace of the episodes or just the happy accidental plot points. I dunno, I'm interested but also kinda on auto pilot, just like Handmaid's tale. I just want to see it through.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2805 on: June 08, 2023, 05:26:45 AM »
Finished The Daily Alaskan on Disney+. Okayish I guess, good but nothing to write home about.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2806 on: June 08, 2023, 07:42:47 AM »
Started the 100 Years of Warner Bros. docuseries on MAX.  Good stuff so far, for film/history geeks like me anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2807 on: June 08, 2023, 09:30:27 AM »
Marc- Severence REALLY good……I’m watching Silo right now that has been good as well. I’ve heard great things about ‘For All Mankind’ and intend to watch that but haven’t yet. You gotta watch Severence though……I think you’d like it.

Thanks, I knew there was another Apple TV show to watch.

We finished season 1 of Ted Lasso.  I definitely don't dislike it, but it's not as good as I had expected.  Storyline is just too predictable and I'm not much of a fan of Jason Sudeikis, but the show definitely has it's funny one liners and moments.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2808 on: June 12, 2023, 01:47:04 AM »
Watched the first 4 episodes of 'Pokerface' it's OK, a very easy watch, but nothing special.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2809 on: June 12, 2023, 01:24:08 PM »
Just started the final 10 episodes of Manifest and its off to a great start!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2810 on: June 12, 2023, 01:54:58 PM »
Just started the final 10 episodes of Manifest and its off to a great start!!

I'm going to wrap up Blacklist and You, then Manifest is next.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2811 on: June 14, 2023, 09:55:49 AM »
I just started Shiny Happy People on Prime.

I'm not even through the first episode and I'm all like, WTAF?!

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: June 14, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »
So since I haven't been loving Ted Lasso (but not hating) my gf and I came to an agreement that we will just limit our watching.  I kept falling asleep if we watched more than an episode or two.  So we started watching Shrinking and Platonic.  So we will watch an episode of all three shows each night or so to keep things fresh.  I kind of feel the same about all three shows though.  All have their comedic moments and all also have their moments where I just zone out.  Shrinking may be the most interesting though as the storyline is more intriguing to me.  Platonic has that stupid Seth Rogan humor I enjoy but the plotline may be the least interesting of the three shows.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2813 on: June 18, 2023, 02:48:27 PM »
Just finished watching Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets on the 19 and Counting family, and the fundamentalist Christian cult they grew up in... holy fuck what an absolute horror story. There's some truly shitty stuff happening, large scale, under the guise of Christianity.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2814 on: June 18, 2023, 03:07:58 PM »
Just finished watching Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets on the 19 and Counting family, and the fundamentalist Christian cult they grew up in... holy fuck what an absolute horror story. There's some truly shitty stuff happening, large scale, under the guise of Christianity.

We’ve been watching this. It is frightening. It’s these types of scenarios that really contribute to the distrust and animosity towards Christianity.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2815 on: June 18, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »

We’ve been watching this. It is frightening. It’s these types of scenarios that really contribute to the distrust and animosity towards Christianity.

Absolutely, and to think it was all done tax free!!! :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2816 on: June 18, 2023, 03:17:15 PM »

Absolutely, and to think it was all done tax free!!! :facepalm:

I’m all for the tax free when the entity can prove and show they’re essentially giving back to the community and abroad. It’s one of the reasons I don’t mind giving to our church. We support three orphanages in India, two in Guatemala……have a handful of outreaches in our city that we provide for. The money is used as it’s ‘supposed’ to be and you can see by observation that our leadership isn’t living an extravagant lifestyle.

There is ZERO reason for churches/Pastors to have private jets, mansions, twenty cars etc etc. that’s a horrible abuse of power
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: June 19, 2023, 05:04:16 AM »

I didn't see (and won't see) the Duggar documentary, not really interested, but I am familiar with much of the story.  I do feel obligated to remind those that aren't familiar with many, many of the good works that DO happen in the name of Christianity that watching the Duggar's and their cult and assuming that reflects ALL of Christianity is like picking a rock band at random - the Red Hot Chili Peppers - and saying "well it's these types of bands that really contribute to the distrust and animosity towards rock music".  Maybe they do, I agree with you there, Gary, but there is a wide world of rock music out there with Genesis, and Sabbath and Dream Theater and the Grateful Dead, that are world's apart.  Something like 85% of Americans - that's about 280 million out of 330 million people - are nominally "Christian" (that is, believe in Christ as the son of God), and the vast majority don't comport with these fringe groups.  I am, nominally, Christian and this stuff is as foreign to me as the landscape on Mars.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2818 on: June 19, 2023, 07:02:58 AM »

I didn't see (and won't see) the Duggar documentary, not really interested, but I am familiar with much of the story.  I do feel obligated to remind those that aren't familiar with many, many of the good works that DO happen in the name of Christianity that watching the Duggar's and their cult and assuming that reflects ALL of Christianity is like picking a rock band at random - the Red Hot Chili Peppers - and saying "well it's these types of bands that really contribute to the distrust and animosity towards rock music".  Maybe they do, I agree with you there, Gary, but there is a wide world of rock music out there with Genesis, and Sabbath and Dream Theater and the Grateful Dead, that are world's apart.  Something like 85% of Americans - that's about 280 million out of 330 million people - are nominally "Christian" (that is, believe in Christ as the son of God), and the vast majority don't comport with these fringe groups.  I am, nominally, Christian and this stuff is as foreign to me as the landscape on Mars.

I am familiar with the better side of Christianity, and I (an atheist) work with a church and their principle staff who we rent rooms from for AA meetings, and they even give us very cheap rates because they appreciate the good work we do as well. Mostly they're good people living good lives.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: June 19, 2023, 08:51:00 AM »
The Duggar thing is more cult like than a reflection on Christianity itself, but people use the religion (and others, it's not limited to Christianity) as a shield to be terrible humans and gain control of people.

We also recently watched it.  I feel like it dragged a bit as a documentary but it certainly shows how terrible these people are.  It reminded me of a few other cult documentaries we've watched before.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: June 22, 2023, 09:02:55 PM »
Season 2 of The Bear(Hulu) dropped today. Loving it so far.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2821 on: June 22, 2023, 09:45:52 PM »

Starting now...S1 was one of my all time favs, and I still get tinges of anxiety thinking about some of the episodes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2822 on: June 23, 2023, 06:59:28 AM »
I'll be jumping on season 2 of The Bear this weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: June 23, 2023, 07:07:27 AM »
Episode 6 was fantastic.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: June 23, 2023, 10:13:58 AM »

Is there any chance they won't spend 90% of each episode yelling over each other this season?  I liked the show, but that got old real quick (and was the reason my wife and son noped out after the first 1-2 episodes).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2825 on: June 23, 2023, 10:19:55 AM »

Is there any chance they won't spend 90% of each episode yelling over each other this season?  I liked the show, but that got old real quick (and was the reason my wife and son noped out after the first 1-2 episodes).
Doubtful, since that was a big part of what made it realistic and critically acclaimed.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2826 on: June 23, 2023, 10:42:29 AM »
I got to EP3 last night before crashing..and I got to say, the montage they did of Syd hitting up restaurants with the plate slowly developing in her mind was exquisite. There's definitely more than a few industry people on the creative team of this show to absolutely nail the vibe and mind of a chef that closely. Just fantastic.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2827 on: June 23, 2023, 01:14:40 PM »
The Duggar thing is more cult like than a reflection on Christianity itself, but people use the religion (and others, it's not limited to Christianity) as a shield to be terrible humans and gain control of people.

Exactly.  This is a cult.  A cult used to cover up horrific child abuse over and over again.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2828 on: June 23, 2023, 01:22:20 PM »
No. I disagree on that Harmony. That was a growth in the last 60 years or so.  Religion grew from power and greed. The molesting came later in its history as they forced the priests to be celibate. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2829 on: June 23, 2023, 01:27:45 PM »
No. I disagree on that Harmony. That was a growth in the last 60 years or so.  Religion grew from power and greed. The molesting came later in its history as they forced the priests to be celibate.

Um...SHP is not about Catholicism.

And FTR, child sexual abuse has gone on for centuries within various forms of religion.

https://tif.ssrc.org/2012/07/13/placing-childhood-sexual-abuse-in-historical-perspective/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: June 23, 2023, 01:31:33 PM »

I get the argument that it should be LESS, but as a plain fact, the frequency of child molestation in the Catholic priesthood mirrors that of general society.  The, IMO, bigger problem was the mass denial and coverup.   I'm not sure what celibacy has to do with it; I've gone periods of not having sex in my life - no jokes please! :) - and while I pity the woman that was there when I broke my streak, that didn't magically make me want to diddle little boys. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: June 23, 2023, 01:46:39 PM »

Um...SHP is not about Catholicism.

And FTR, child sexual abuse has gone on for centuries within various forms of religion.

https://tif.ssrc.org/2012/07/13/placing-childhood-sexual-abuse-in-historical-perspective/

No kidding but it's more of a business protecting itself like so many terrible companies. Except they get so many passes from the government.  Though this is not the right section to debate this.

I get the argument that it should be LESS, but as a plain fact, the frequency of child molestation in the Catholic priesthood mirrors that of general society.  The, IMO, bigger problem was the mass denial and coverup.   I'm not sure what celibacy has to do with it; I've gone periods of not having sex in my life - no jokes please! :) - and while I pity the woman that was there when I broke my streak, that didn't magically make me want to diddle little boys. 

Celibicy forces humans to do terrible things.  The old valve over pressurized thing.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2832 on: June 23, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »

Same here. The storyline was cool overall, but was I supposed to enjoy or to find cool, edgy or whatever them screaming in the kitchen all the time? it actually made me pity the plight of cooks if that's what actually happens in a restaurant kitchen. An attitude that is satirized and taken to the extreme in The Menu.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: June 23, 2023, 04:19:48 PM »
RJ, I can't watch The Bear. I don't have Hulu. Dammit.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2834 on: June 23, 2023, 06:02:41 PM »
RJ, I can't watch The Bear. I don't have Hulu. Dammit.

Dude...both seasons are up now...just spend the dime for a month and binge it. Totally fucking worth it bro.

And on that subject, Ep4 was another divine display of respect for the chef and the ingredients, seeing him stage in Copenhagen with Will Poultier was awesome. I love how they show how both of them slid into the business sideways and fell in love with it, it's such a common story.