Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 212824 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2765 on: May 11, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »
Just finished season 1 of Beef on netflix. Enjoyed the show and based on the ending could be renewed, but you never know with Netflix.

Watching the Diplomat on Netflix.  Really enjoying the show.  Political drama with humor.  Stars Keri Russell(The Americans) and Rufus Sewell(The man in the high castle).

It might not be up to them.  There's beef with "Beef", if I understand correctly.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #2766 on: May 11, 2023, 07:51:00 PM »
Rewatching Breaking Bad -> Better Call Saul -> El Camino now that everything is on Netflix

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2767 on: May 12, 2023, 07:38:32 AM »
Finished Lucky Hank on AMC.  Really entertaining, although completely different for Odenkirk than anything else he's done lately.  Not sure if there will be a second season or not, based on the way it ended.  Fingers crossed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2768 on: May 12, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »
I'm 5 episodes in to Lucky Hank, and I know what you mean about Odenkirk and this type of character. Although there are still a few similarities (the way they go back to his childhood for example).

It seemed like a Dramedy at 1st, but it now seems to be almost more straight Drama.

Also, it bugs me that there is a song used in the Pilot Episode by the band Pulse titled "Love is Like the Sea" that I really enjoyed, but it was, but seemingly is not available on Spotify nor anywhere online now. I mentioned this on my YouTube channel yesterday.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5T0tdgAnGIT782sL4w1825

I guess the song is from an album from 2016?

anyway, I'll have to keep in mind what you said about it ending with maybe not a 2nd season to come. That happened with another show on AMC a few years ago, Dispatches From Elsewhere (and even Rubicon over a decade ago), which I guess wouldn't be surprising, but still disappointing. Both Dispatches and Rubicon I really liked, but the history is there with AMC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 11:09:06 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2769 on: May 12, 2023, 10:25:33 AM »
anyway, I'll have to keep in mind what you said about it ending with maybe not a 2nd season to come. That happened with another show on AMC a few years ago, Dispatches From Elsewhere (and even Rubicon over a decade ago), which I guess wouldn't be surprising, but still disappointing. Both Dispatches and Rubicon I really liked, but the history is there with AMC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, Hank doesn't die or anything.  But one of the main plot points is resolved, so if it continues, it will be something different.

Although I could certainly see how it wouldn't need to be terribly different.

I'm making no sense.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2770 on: May 15, 2023, 06:58:10 AM »
I'm usually rotating three shows:
1. To watch with the girlfriend
2. A mystery/sci-fi/supernatural thriller-y type of thing. Anything otherworldy or dystopian.
3. A (dark) comedy show. Quality stuff with excellent story, characters and acting.

Watching Beef (1), Silo (2) and Succession (3).

I was watching 1899 last week, but man that show is such a drag. I couldn't make it past episode 3. Just nothing that really pulls me in..? I had to give it a shot because I thought Dark was amazing, but I'm just not feeling this one at all.

Decided to go for Silo instead and voila, this one does it for me. Interested to see where this show goes. Really enjoying the quite relatable characters and general atmosphere here. I'm all for things that feel Blade Runner-ish. The music reminds me of Westworld's theme track as well. I'm sure fans of that show (regardless if you were still on board with S3 and S4) would feel right at home.

After this, I'm planning to watch Love and Death with the g/f. After I finish Silo or Succession I'm gonna give Mrs. Davis a go. Damon Lindelof is involved and I think The Leftovers could very well be my favorite show ever. I've heard good things about it so I'm definitely checking that one out sooner than later.

But man, there's just TOO MANY shows right? I still have to watch Better Call Saul.. and I loved Breaking Bad!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 07:05:12 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2771 on: May 15, 2023, 08:53:33 AM »
I was watching 1899 last week, but man that show is such a drag. I couldn't make it past episode 3. Just nothing that really pulls me in..? I had to give it a shot because I thought Dark was amazing, but I'm just not feeling this one at all.

You're not missing anything and this was a good choice. I stuck it out in the hopes it'd turn a corner somewhere and it didn't. I was there for the reason you were.....DARK was awesome....but, they missed the mark on this one and it's not a surprise it was cancelled.

Decided to go for Silo instead and voila, this one does it for me. Interested to see where this show goes. Really enjoying the quite relatable characters and general atmosphere here. I'm all for things that feel Blade Runner-ish. The music reminds me of Westworld's theme track as well. I'm sure fans of that show (regardless if you were still on board with S3 and S4) would feel right at home.

I'm enjoying this one as well. It's right up my alley and has been very interesting so far. Curious to see how it all pans out. Very good cast as well and the acting has been good.

The Leftovers could very well be my favorite show ever.

Agreed. It's a top tier show....I have to work a rewatch in soon. So well done.....

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2772 on: May 15, 2023, 08:51:55 PM »
Just watched last week's episode of Silo. Holy crap was that edge of your seat stuff. This show is knocking it out of the park right now. Huge reveal when the power went out that I was waiting for. Wondering if anyone in the show noticed it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2773 on: May 15, 2023, 10:08:28 PM »

You're not missing anything and this was a good choice. I stuck it out in the hopes it'd turn a corner somewhere and it didn't. I was there for the reason you were.....DARK was awesome....but, they missed the mark on this one and it's not a surprise it was cancelled.

I'm enjoying this one as well. It's right up my alley and has been very interesting so far. Curious to see how it all pans out. Very good cast as well and the acting has been good.

Agreed. It's a top tier show....I have to work a rewatch in soon. So well done.....

The Leftovers was a great show but if memory serves me right, the show ending was weak.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: May 15, 2023, 11:01:08 PM »
Just watched last week's episode of Silo. Holy crap was that edge of your seat stuff. This show is knocking it out of the park right now. Huge reveal when the power went out that I was waiting for. Wondering if anyone in the show noticed it.

Wait…..what? Small font that revelation for me. I’m trying to recall right now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: May 15, 2023, 11:02:17 PM »

The Leftovers was a great show but if memory serves me right, the show ending was weak.

I thought the ending was great. It was perfectly in tune with how the series toed the line and stayed in that ambiguous grey area

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2776 on: May 15, 2023, 11:07:43 PM »

Wait…..what? Small font that revelation for me. I’m trying to recall right now.

Never mind…….just rewatched that part and yeah……I noticed that as well. Was curious to see if that becomes a rumor or point of contention moving forward. It was brief but a very stark difference. Had to have been noticed.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2777 on: May 16, 2023, 12:49:18 AM »

I thought the ending was great. It was perfectly in tune with how the series toed the line and stayed in that ambiguous grey area

Yes, The Leftovers is an all time great show. Agree that the ending was great and yes, very ambiguous.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2778 on: May 16, 2023, 02:25:19 AM »
Cool to see some love for Silo and The Leftovers here. And good to know I probably made the right call with quitting 1899.

Will also begin S2 of Yellowjackets as soon as it’s available on streaming in my country. I thought S1 was pretty awesome.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2779 on: May 16, 2023, 03:04:52 PM »
I haven't had a chance to start watching Silo as yet but hearing lots of good things about it. Will get onto it soon.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2780 on: May 16, 2023, 03:22:28 PM »
I too heard good things about Silo, I will wait for the season to end before watching it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2781 on: May 16, 2023, 04:30:18 PM »
Electric Mayhem - Disney+. Pretty damn entertaining series based on the Muppets. So much of the humor is a spot-on send-up of the music industry.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2782 on: May 22, 2023, 11:29:49 AM »
The Big Door Prize

First episode was interested. Will keep watching.

Finished the season. Really liked this show. The last 2 episodes felt very different from the rest, while still keeping the story going.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2783 on: May 23, 2023, 06:59:56 AM »
3 Episodes into 'Daisy Jones and the Six' really enjoying it so far.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2784 on: May 26, 2023, 10:54:54 AM »
Started SmartLess On The Road on MAX.  The SmartLess podcast guys took their show on the road in front of live audiences and recorded it for this show.  The interaction between them is hilarious.

For those of you who don't listen to the podcast, it's Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett.  Each week, one of them arranges for a celebrity guest that the other two will have no prior knowledge of, and then they have a conversation/interview.  But half of the fun is the three hosts giving each other shit.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2785 on: May 26, 2023, 11:20:48 AM »
Started SmartLess On The Road on MAX.  The SmartLess podcast guys took their show on the road in front of live audiences and recorded it for this show.  The interaction between them is hilarious.

For those of you who don't listen to the podcast, it's Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett.  Each week, one of them arranges for a celebrity guest that the other two will have no prior knowledge of, and then they have a conversation/interview.  But half of the fun is the three hosts giving each other shit.

I enjoy the Smartless podcast and watched the first two episodes on MAX. They are pretty funny and the banter between them is great.

BUT....I will say.....I can only listen to them every so often due to the level of pretentiousness and inherent narcissism that permeates the conversations. It IS funny....don't get me wrong and it's interesting....but man....do they and their guests really believe that they're 'special' and doing something extremely important and hard. Actors truly live in a completely different reality than the rest of us. You guys 'act' for a living.....it's a permanent vacation. Get over yourselves.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2786 on: May 26, 2023, 11:53:57 AM »
I certainly don't get a sense that these guys think they are "above" non-actors, or that they condescend to them.  They certainly treat people that are not in show business probably a little differently than those that are in, but so do people in all industries, entertainment or otherwise.  Insurance people relate to other insurance people one way, and everyone else a little differently.  Same thing with contractors, or musicians, or people in the food industry, or anything else.  It's not a "superior/inferior" thing, at least not intrinsically.

Just my two cents.

Although Bateman does come across as a little pretentious even to the other two, with his dietary habits, and Arnett for one certainly does his part to put him in his place.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2787 on: May 26, 2023, 12:05:53 PM »
I certainly don't get a sense that these guys think they are "above" non-actors, or that they condescend to them.  They certainly treat people that are not in show business probably a little differently than those that are in, but so do people in all industries, entertainment or otherwise.  Insurance people relate to other insurance people one way, and everyone else a little differently.  Same thing with contractors, or musicians, or people in the food industry, or anything else.  It's not a "superior/inferior" thing, at least not intrinsically.

Just my two cents.

Although Bateman does come across as a little pretentious even to the other two, with his dietary habits, and Arnett for one certainly does his part to put him in his place.

Arnett is great! when he was ribbing Bateman about being asked if and when he'd shower again......dude lost it.

I guess there are times when maybe I read too much into how they're going about the conversation.....there have been instances where (to me) they've come across as if they believe they're curing cancer or something in being actors and having to deal with their work schedules and methods.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2788 on: May 26, 2023, 12:19:08 PM »
They talk what they know.  Our world is very different than their world.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2789 on: May 27, 2023, 06:34:15 AM »

Just my two cents.

Arnett is great! when he was ribbing Bateman about being asked if and when he'd shower again......dude lost it.

I guess there are times when maybe I read too much into how they're going about the conversation.....there have been instances where (to me) they've come across as if they believe they're curing cancer or something in being actors and having to deal with their work schedules and methods.

If it matters to you, I get what you're saying.  It's subtle, but I believe it's there.  "Superiority" isn't the right word, exactly, but an air that they somehow recognize they're not like other people.   My daughter, through her schooling, has had the opportunity to meet and hang out with several celebrities (because of their kids) including Titus Welliver and Eric Bazilian, among others, and doesn't agree it's "superior" either, but she does say it's different. I think it's like anything else; you get accustomed to your surroundings.   Many of these actors are told over and over how great they are, how creative they are, "how amazing they are!", and it sticks.  Bruce Springsteen talked about this, I think, in his interview with Howard Stern a couple months ago.  Even if the actor themself isn't pretentious, the entire set up IS; you only need to watch one awards show to see that.

Sidebar, I used to live in Glastonbury, Connecticut.  Several celebrities live there, including Christine Baranski.  One time I was getting breakfast and Chris Lemmon walked in with his wife/girlfriend/partner/whatever.   They were catty-corner to me so I could basically hear a lot of their conversation with the waiter.   He ordered an omelet, and for all the instructions he gave, I'm surprised the cook didn't come out and say "you want to cook it yourself?"    I don't remember all of them, but I do know it started with just egg whites, and there were precise instructions as to how much "browning" there could be on the edges. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2790 on: May 27, 2023, 10:54:16 AM »
My current lineup:

Season 4 of What We Do in the Shadows (awesome series!)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (the limited series)

I'm also watching Boris, an italian series that satirizes heavily the generic shows the italian TV is putting on, showing the behind the scenes of the crew working on a lame, sappy show. It's merciless in its irony and is a way better series than most of italian shows  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2791 on: May 30, 2023, 07:18:27 PM »
OK, finally started Silo. Watched the first 2 episodes. Really loving this so far and absolutely love Rebecca Ferguson...really intrigued to see where this show goes. Production and music are great.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2792 on: June 01, 2023, 09:15:10 AM »
So I binge-watched the latest season of Queer Eye, set this season in New Orleans.  Goddamn that show gets me right in the feels.  I think only one episode this season didn't make me cry like a little girl.

I get that Jonathan Van Ness may be a little over the top for a lot of straight people but there is something about what happens when he gets a person in his salon chair and begins transforming their look while having deep conversations with them about the way they feel about themselves.  It is nothing less than some sort of wizardry.

Karamo Brown is the therapist I wish I had.  Watching him ask the tough questions with love and respect and the little but impactful ways he brings people to understanding why they are stuck and what they need to do about it to change the trajectory of their lives - in only 1 week! - is pretty masterful to watch.

Bobby Berk remodels the houses/apartments and all I can say is that I would love him to be my interior designer.  There are just jaw-dropping transformations.  But I always have to wonder what they do with all the junk/trash/memorabilia they have to take out of the space.  I guess they just box it up and put it in storage but how they do all of what they do in one week is mind-blowing.

Tan France can literally dress ANY body type and make the person look like a million bucks. 

Antoni Porowski is probably my favorite.  He reaches people through cooking together, many of whom have never cooked anything before.  The way that he shows how putting together a recipe as a metaphor for putting together a life without being obvious about it is almost spiritual.  Sometimes the best interactions with people can happen while cooking together.  And how fun and empowering it can be to cook for others and bring people together is just *chef's kiss*

If you can only check out one episode of the season, I suggest the fraternity house transformation which is episode 1.  I laughed (hard) and cried and for those of us who have spent any time inside of a frat house (ick) you can only imagine the hilarity that ensues.  Netflix
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: June 07, 2023, 02:43:17 PM »
Actors truly live in a completely different reality than the rest of us. You guys 'act' for a living.....it's a permanent vacation. Get over yourselves.

I work a M-F office job.  I am certain my job is much easier than what actors have to do, especially if they're a regular on a tv series.  Film actors do get a lot more time off than I do, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: June 07, 2023, 02:52:00 PM »
My gf signed up for the free apple TV trial to watch some shows.  We started Ted Lasso, almost done with the first season.  It's an easy watch and has some great moments, but I'm finding it a bit boring as the season goes on. It's short enough that we'll watch through the whole show fairly quickly and I'll stick it out.  I heard so much positives about it, and it started out well enough (even though it was clearly the same story as Major League 2), but maybe it's just the mid season drag that's got me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: June 07, 2023, 02:56:43 PM »
Marc- Severence REALLY good……I’m watching Silo right now that has been good as well. I’ve heard great things about ‘For All Mankind’ and intend to watch that but haven’t yet. You gotta watch Severence though……I think you’d like it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: June 07, 2023, 02:59:00 PM »
Just started season three of "You".  I like Penn Badgely, the premise is ridiculous enough to suspend credulity, and everyone is gorgeous, but it's oddly not... fun, in the way the previous seasons were.  "Fun" isn't the right word; it's a series about obsessive stalkers/serial killers, but still...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2797 on: June 07, 2023, 03:09:42 PM »
Manifest on Netflix. 10 new episodes just dropped June 2.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2798 on: June 07, 2023, 03:30:59 PM »
Just started season three of "You".  I like Penn Badgely, the premise is ridiculous enough to suspend credulity, and everyone is gorgeous, but it's oddly not... fun, in the way the previous seasons were.  "Fun" isn't the right word; it's a series about obsessive stalkers/serial killers, but still...

Season 4 felt weirder, season 3 is still "fun" if you enjoyed the first two.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: June 07, 2023, 04:10:03 PM »
Manifest on Netflix. 10 new episodes just dropped June 2.

The show from NBC about the plane crash?  Is that picking up where the network show left off?  Are there episodes in between?