Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 213060 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2345 on: August 30, 2022, 12:35:38 PM »
Good Place is soo good. It's always fun rewatching it. Pick up on little jokes hadn't caught before.

Curious have you seen Game of Thrones prior to seeing the prequel? Wonder how people feel about it without watching the other show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2346 on: August 30, 2022, 12:37:39 PM »
I'm trying to get my fam to watch The Sopranos with me.  No luck so far...

That's unfortunate, I'm amazed how it well it still holds up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2347 on: August 30, 2022, 12:41:26 PM »
Just started watching The Old Man
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2348 on: August 30, 2022, 12:58:59 PM »
Just started watching The Old Man.

Lisa and I enjoyed the 1st season.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2349 on: August 30, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »
I'm trying to get my fam to watch The Sopranos with me.  No luck so far...

That's unfortunate, I'm amazed how it well it still holds up.

Having only watched it for the first time last summer.......I can attest to that sentiment that it does indeed hold up. Such a good show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2350 on: August 30, 2022, 03:24:14 PM »
Good Place is soo good. It's always fun rewatching it. Pick up on little jokes hadn't caught before.

Curious have you seen Game of Thrones prior to seeing the prequel? Wonder how people feel about it without watching the other show.

I did watch Game of Thrones (but I've never read any of the books).  My guess is that you wouldn't need to have watched GOT to enjoy the prequel, but I think having watched it enhances the enjoyment.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2351 on: August 30, 2022, 05:52:56 PM »
That's cool, I don't recall you posting in the dedicated threads so was just curious.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2352 on: August 31, 2022, 09:41:48 AM »
That's cool, I don't recall you posting in the dedicated threads so was just curious.

If I have, it's been very infrequent.  The discussion there seems MUCH more in depth than I care to go -- especially since I haven't read any of the books.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: September 01, 2022, 07:34:15 AM »
I don't know if anyone else is watching 'See' on Apple TV....but, I've found it to be pretty good. S3 is out now, it's the final season. Well, the first episode is out, it's a week to week episode drop. There's a very high production value to it so it looks great.....pretty decent action and character development. You just have to suspend disbelief a bit when it comes to blind people being able to pull off the things they pull off in the show. It's all explained....but it's still asking a lot from the audience to buy into. Once you do....the show is pretty fun.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2354 on: September 01, 2022, 08:58:46 AM »
Just started watching The Old Man.

I just finished it and enjoyed it so much that I hope to watch it again with the family during our vacation.

I was happy to see that it will be brought back for another season.  The ending definitely left me wanting more.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2355 on: September 05, 2022, 05:18:13 AM »
Getting a bit overwhelmed right now with new stuff...

- House of Dragon.
- Power of the Rings.
- Rick and Morty.
- Cobra Kai (new season in 5 days).

Also halfway though watching Yellowjackets and Peacemaker.  And because I'm a completist I'm watch She-Hulk but I'm not enjoying that at all at the minute.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2356 on: September 06, 2022, 10:29:43 AM »
Watching Next on Fox....though they haven't aired any episodes for 3 weeks and the series was already cancelled.   >:(    Another episode airs tomorrow...this is why I hate network tv. 

I'm not sure there's a good reason for the connection, but this post reminded me of American Ninja Warrior.  Anyone else watch that show?

For anyone who doesn't know, American Ninja Warrior is a a competition where the competitors try to complete obstacle courses that range in difficulty from pretty damn hard to "are you fucking kidding me?!" . . . .

So...the current season of American Ninja Warrior just ended, and I have to say that I think it's jumped the shark.  It has become SO MUCH about the back stories and so little about the actual competition.  Especially in the early rounds, you get these two minute features about how this adopted kid with no legs and a mother with six different types of cancer overcame these obstacles to be there to compete...but then he inevitably falls on the first or second obstacle.  Meanwhile, we get a competitor who blew through the course, but we only get a 15-second highlight package.  Meanwhile, one of the announcers (former NFL player, Akbar Gbaja-Biamila) spends the entire time cracking jokes based on whatever the competitor's schtick is.  At the other end of the spectrum, we had a record FIVE competitors make it through Stage 3 to advance to the final stage, which is a 75-foot rope climb, which must be done in 30 seconds or less.  NONE of the five even came close to making the climb in the allotted time, which was seriously anticlimactic.  I'm sure we'll tune in next year when it starts, but I'm getting close to the end of my rope (pun intended).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2357 on: September 06, 2022, 01:11:00 PM »
Watching Next on Fox....though they haven't aired any episodes for 3 weeks and the series was already cancelled.   >:(    Another episode airs tomorrow...this is why I hate network tv. 

I'm not sure there's a good reason for the connection, but this post reminded me of American Ninja Warrior.  Anyone else watch that show?

For anyone who doesn't know, American Ninja Warrior is a a competition where the competitors try to complete obstacle courses that range in difficulty from pretty damn hard to "are you fucking kidding me?!" . . . .

So...the current season of American Ninja Warrior just ended, and I have to say that I think it's jumped the shark.  It has become SO MUCH about the back stories and so little about the actual competition.  Especially in the early rounds, you get these two minute features about how this adopted kid with no legs and a mother with six different types of cancer overcame these obstacles to be there to compete...but then he inevitably falls on the first or second obstacle.  Meanwhile, we get a competitor who blew through the course, but we only get a 15-second highlight package.  Meanwhile, one of the announcers (former NFL player, Akbar Gbaja-Biamila) spends the entire time cracking jokes based on whatever the competitor's schtick is.  At the other end of the spectrum, we had a record FIVE competitors make it through Stage 3 to advance to the final stage, which is a 75-foot rope climb, which must be done in 30 seconds or less.  NONE of the five even came close to making the climb in the allotted time, which was seriously anticlimactic.  I'm sure we'll tune in next year when it starts, but I'm getting close to the end of my rope (pun intended).

TOTALLY with you on all of that.  All reality TV is going in that direction.  Once in a blue moon there's a compelling story, but as a general rule, I'm just not that interested.  I want to see athleticism, I want to see someone crush the course, regardless of what their day job is.  And don't even get me started on the consumes and preening during the run.  I know you have to get a breath in an event like that, but the dabs and dances... shut up and compete. 

"When everyone has a story, no one has a story." 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: September 06, 2022, 01:17:40 PM »
Reminds me of this meme

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: September 06, 2022, 02:24:56 PM »

TOTALLY with you on all of that.  All reality TV is going in that direction.  Once in a blue moon there's a compelling story, but as a general rule, I'm just not that interested.  I want to see athleticism, I want to see someone crush the course, regardless of what their day job is.  And don't even get me started on the consumes and preening during the run.  I know you have to get a breath in an event like that, but the dabs and dances... shut up and compete. 

"When everyone has a story, no one has a story."

Well Ninja Warrior has evolved into elite athletes taking on utterly ridiculous courses/challenges. Nothing beats the 'original' ninja warrior that aired on....what was it back then...Spike TV or something like that? The legit overseas version with the English dubs.....it was great! And it was more or less 'ordinary' people undertaking challenging yet not quite impossible tasks. The crap they're doing now on the show is just silliness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2360 on: September 07, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »
Well Ninja Warrior has evolved into elite athletes taking on utterly ridiculous courses/challenges. Nothing beats the 'original' ninja warrior that aired on....what was it back then...Spike TV or something like that? The legit overseas version with the English dubs.....it was great! And it was more or less 'ordinary' people undertaking challenging yet not quite impossible tasks. The crap they're doing now on the show is just silliness.

The original U.S. version was similar to Sasuke in this regard.  The problem is that it's evolved to focus on the nonsense to the detriment of the more interesting evolutionary aspects of the competition.  When this started, there were no "Ninja gyms."  Now, they're all over the place.  A decade ago, people had problems with the warped wall and couldn't figure out how to use the trampolines that they use to get on the obstacles.  Now, those things are mostly afterthoughts, and the small handful of competitors who have trouble with the warped wall stand out like a sore thumb.  Most importantly, there are 16-year old kids who have been training in "Ninja gyms" since they were 5 years old.  These kids can now compete alongside the adults, and they have the right balance of upper-body strength and weight (along with the nearly infinite energy of teenagers) that they're dominating.

But no...let's focus on the clown who always wears a suit when he runs and the guy who pulls a corn dog out of his shorts.  My wife has commented more than once that ANW is rapidly turning into Wipeout.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: September 07, 2022, 09:56:39 AM »

The original U.S. version was similar to Sasuke in this regard.  The problem is that it's evolved to focus on the nonsense to the detriment of the more interesting evolutionary aspects of the competition.  When this started, there were no "Ninja gyms."  Now, they're all over the place.  A decade ago, people had problems with the warped wall and couldn't figure out how to use the trampolines that they use to get on the obstacles.  Now, those things are mostly afterthoughts, and the small handful of competitors who have trouble with the warped wall stand out like a sore thumb.  Most importantly, there are 16-year old kids who have been training in "Ninja gyms" since they were 5 years old.  These kids can now compete alongside the adults, and they have the right balance of upper-body strength and weight (along with the nearly infinite energy of teenagers) that they're dominating.

But no...let's focus on the clown who always wears a suit when he runs and the guy who pulls a corn dog out of his shorts.  My wife has commented more than once that ANW is rapidly turning into Wipeout.

The upper body strength required for these challenges is INSANE  :omg:   Every arm muscle just has to be a freak of nature.....it's crazy.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2362 on: September 07, 2022, 10:22:02 AM »
Right?!

In my entire life -- going back to probably 6th grade -- I have never had the upper-body strength to do even a single pull-up.  Nowadays, I have good UB strength but too much weight.  Back then, I was pretty skinny but had no UB strength.  It really is impressive.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: September 07, 2022, 11:28:00 AM »

Which, because it embraces itself (and often has the fantastic Jill Wagner, and now Connecticut's own Camille Kostek Gronkowski on there) is a barrel of laughs.  Nothing is funnier than watching some earnest young man running along a ledge and getting punched into the mud by a huge, red boxing glove loaded onto a spring.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: September 07, 2022, 12:50:27 PM »
ANW is rapidly turning into Wipeout.

Speaking of....the new incarnation of that is a tough chore to watch as well. The 'old' version with John Henson, John Anderson and Vanessa Lachey was hilarious. This 'new' one with John Cena, Nicole Byer, and Camille Kostek is brutal....just not funny at all.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2365 on: September 07, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
I'm seven episodes into a show called Poldark. I'm really enjoying it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2366 on: September 07, 2022, 01:39:52 PM »

Speaking of....the new incarnation of that is a tough chore to watch as well. The 'old' version with John Henson, John Anderson and Vanessa Lachey was hilarious. This 'new' one with John Cena, Nicole Byer, and Camille Kostek is brutal....just not funny at all.

I don't know who Vanessa Lachey is, but I don't think I ever saw episodes with her.  Jill Wagner was awesome in that role (just as Kristine Leahy was on ANW).  I watched a couple of the new episodes with the new people (whom I also don't know), and I agree that they sucked.

That said, I agree with Stads that part of what made Wipeout fun was that it was completely self-aware.  About 10 years ago, I briefly toyed with going to a casting call for the show.  In retrospect, I'm very glad I didn't.  It boggled the mind that no one ever snapped their neck on the Big Balls!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2367 on: September 07, 2022, 06:12:13 PM »
Kim’s Convenience. This show is damn adorable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: September 08, 2022, 07:56:01 AM »

Jill Wagner was way better than Vanessa Lachey.  But I'm a HUGE John Henson fan, so there's that.  I haven't actually seen the new one (though I don't think "funny!" when I think "John Cena" so there's that), but I know Camille Kostek and she's very talented.  :)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2369 on: September 10, 2022, 01:49:51 PM »
Finished Rebels. Loved it. Can't wait for Ahsoka!

Watching Orphan Black. Great show! Tatiana Maslany is AWESOME
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2370 on: September 12, 2022, 06:22:16 AM »
I'm seven episodes into a show called Poldark. I'm really enjoying it.

I am almost done with season two and I am still really enjoying it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2371 on: September 12, 2022, 06:51:53 AM »
I had a minor urgency between holidays and so I had to resort to one month of Amazon Prime. Since I was at it, I might as well check some Prime Video, uh?

So I watched / I'm watching:

- Goliath, final season. Legal drama with Billy Bob Thornton. First season will always be the best but it was decent enough to stick until the end.

- The Marvelous Ms Maisel. What a surprise! Didn't expect to find it so charming but I just enjoy the hell out of it. Drama / comedy set in the late 50's / early '60s about the titular character reinventing herself after a divorce. If it can keep the quality it's gonna be a great ride! Season 1 was great.

- Started Parks and Recreation, I've long heard about this show but never found the time to watch it. It's ok so far, it's still another case like The Office where the first season with just six episodes is so-so and then it skyrockets?

- Rings of Power. Great visuals, but I'll have to judge the overall story once the season is over.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2372 on: September 12, 2022, 06:58:35 AM »
Very much so re Parks and Rec. The same way they realized they had to tweak Michael Scott from the David Brent mold, there were adjustments to how everyone perceives Leslie Knope going into season 2.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2373 on: September 12, 2022, 07:09:26 AM »
Parks and Rec season 1 is a completely different show from the rest of it. I personally loved season one, and wish they didn't go through with certain casting changes. I'd stick it out through at least season 2. You'll have a proper idea of what it's about/like by then. 

P&R is one of my favorite sitcoms ever.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2374 on: September 12, 2022, 07:37:51 AM »
Yellowstone - watched the first two episodes and really not sure this show is for me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2375 on: September 12, 2022, 07:49:49 AM »
Very much so re Parks and Rec. The same way they realized they had to tweak Michael Scott from the David Brent mold, there were adjustments to how everyone perceives Leslie Knope going into season 2.

Parks and Rec season 1 is a completely different show from the rest of it. I personally loved season one, and wish they didn't go through with certain casting changes. I'd stick it out through at least season 2. You'll have a proper idea of what it's about/like by then. 

P&R is one of my favorite sitcoms ever.

Thanks! I will take this into consideration.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2376 on: September 12, 2022, 07:52:28 AM »
I love Parks and Rec but really struggled with that first season.

Sadly it seems that it's only streaming on Peacock now (which I don't have) so I'm not able to do a rewatch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: September 19, 2022, 09:27:57 PM »
Watched the first episode of the Quantum Leap reboot. Umm…..yeah. Out of adoration for the original show I’ll stick with it for a bit but man…..

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2378 on: September 19, 2022, 11:33:39 PM »
Watched the first episode of the Quantum Leap reboot. Umm…..yeah. Out of adoration for the original show I’ll stick with it for a bit but man…..

Loved the original and in theory it should be simple enough to recreate, what was wrong with it?  Bad chemistry from the leads?

Offline Adami

« Reply #2379 on: September 20, 2022, 06:59:29 AM »
Yea, it didn't look super interesting on the trailer. Lead didn't seem very charismatic, which is really what the show needs. The set up is brilliant and could go on forever, but you NEED two charismatic leads with great chemistry or it all falls apart.
fanticide.bandcamp.com