Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 217667 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2310 on: August 11, 2022, 10:08:10 PM »
I just watched a series on FX called The Old Man, starring Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. It’s kind of a slow burn thriller/ drama. It's based on a novel, so the dialogue at times is quite engaging.

Apparently there will be a second season because it has received so much praise.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2311 on: August 11, 2022, 10:46:25 PM »
Finished The Sandman yesterday.  SO GOOD.

INCREDIBLE SHOW! :hefdaddy

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2312 on: August 12, 2022, 06:06:57 AM »
just finished Season 1 of Paper Girls. I really liked it, and am hopeful there will be a 2nd season which I guess they are already filming for.

I hope finally this will be thee show for Brian K Vaughan to be adapted to a success. I do feel rather guilty having owned a few of the issues but not read them. I totally want to and should now.

The Groot show I may be able to talk my wife into watching, lol.

Season finale of WestWorld on Sunday, Series Finale of Better Call Saul on Monday.

Never Have I Ever Season 3 hits Netflix today.

Need to now check out Season 2 of Only Murders in the Building. Which this show supposedly will be Steve Martin's last acting work ever (including Cameos).

Cobra Kai Season 5 premieres next month

Dead to Me Season 3 (the final season) is coming this Fall supposedly. Still no release date though

So Help Me Todd, the Skylar Astin, Marcia Gay Harden Dramedy looks potentially good. Unsure about any other network shows this fall.

Also:
Beavis & Butthead on Paramount+ (+ the new B&B movie and Bryan Cranston movie may get me to try the free trial to Paramount+. I'm not interested in any of the Alex Kurtzman Star Trek tho).

Online faizoff

« Reply #2313 on: August 12, 2022, 06:33:46 AM »

Season finale of WestWorld on Sunday, Series Finale of Better Call Saul on Monday.

In addition to the two you mentioned, season 3 of For All Mankind ends today and the finale was excellent. Season 3 started really great, the middle was kinda ok, but at least it ended great.

Hope to watch a few episodes of the new season for Never Have I Ever today.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2314 on: August 12, 2022, 08:29:39 AM »

In addition to the two you mentioned, season 3 of For All Mankind ends today and the finale was excellent. Season 3 started really great, the middle was kinda ok, but at least it ended great.

Hope to watch a few episodes of the new season for Never Have I Ever today.

I would watch For All Mankind as I appreciate pretty much everything Ronald D Moore's has done, but I don't have Apple+. My wife is a Mac user though, which I've heard she could access. However, it's her laptop, and she likely would have no interest in the show.

So I may have to wait until 1 of the other streaming networks picks it up (Netflix, Hulu or Amazon).

edit: it looks like with Paramount+, they do have a free trial on their website, so I'll have to think about that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2315 on: August 13, 2022, 12:46:35 PM »
Finished ‘Banshee’ last night. Really fun series….but I think it should have ended at three seasons. S4 was definitely the weakest season and it was obvious they were grasping at storyline to get through the season/series.

Gonna hop on Sandman now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2316 on: August 15, 2022, 12:58:47 PM »
I can't stop watching the Always Sunny podcast. So many funny stories from set. The most recent was with Cricket, that was a really good one.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2317 on: August 15, 2022, 07:35:23 PM »
The Last Movie Stars on HBO Max is absolutely wonderful.  If you like Paul Newman and/or Joanne Woodward at all.  Check it out.

Hubby and I enjoyed it so much we've decided to watch every Paul Newman movie starting with 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' 1956 directed by Robert Wise.  This is going to take a long time but it will be great.  :tup

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2318 on: August 17, 2022, 06:01:42 AM »
The Last Movie Stars on HBO Max is absolutely wonderful.  If you like Paul Newman and/or Joanne Woodward at all.  Check it out.

Hubby and I enjoyed it so much we've decided to watch every Paul Newman movie starting with 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' 1956 directed by Robert Wise.  This is going to take a long time but it will be great.  :tup

Let me know when you get to The Towering Inferno.  I'm not actually kidding; I loved that movie when I was a kid, but went back and watched it a couple years ago, knowing now what I know about movies and movie making, and it was quite the jarring experience.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2319 on: August 17, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »

Let me know when you get to The Towering Inferno.  I'm not actually kidding; I loved that movie when I was a kid, but went back and watched it a couple years ago, knowing now what I know about movies and movie making, and it was quite the jarring experience.

Will do.  I also remember watching it as a kid but had forgotten about PN being in it until I watched The Last Movie Stars.

I might start a thread to chronicle our "journey" (I know how you love that phrase, lol) through all movies Paul Newman.  :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: August 17, 2022, 12:32:31 PM »

Will do.  I also remember watching it as a kid but had forgotten about PN being in it until I watched The Last Movie Stars.

I might start a thread to chronicle our "journey" (I know how you love that phrase, lol) through all movies Paul Newman.  :P

You've got some great movies ahead of you.  I love Paul Newman; even in TTI, it wasn't him that was noteworthy, it was Steve McQueen.  :)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2321 on: August 17, 2022, 06:38:20 PM »
Just finished S1 of Only Murders in the Building, which I really enjoyed. Probably will start the new season tomorrow.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2322 on: August 17, 2022, 06:40:24 PM »
Just finished S1 of Only Murders in the Building, which I really enjoyed. Probably will start the new season tomorrow.

I’m an episode or so behind on season 2 but I really like this show. Bough I admit that the premise, on paper, sounds like a miss.

Steve Martin and Martin Short solve murders with Selena Gomez.

But man does it work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: August 17, 2022, 06:45:19 PM »
My mom talked Towering Inferno up to me a few times over the years, but I never got around to seeing it. I love Steve McQueen. My favorite Paul Newman film is easily The Sting, though I don't really consider that a "Paul Newman film." My favorite performance of his might be Nobody's Fool. Looking it up on Wikipedia, I saw this quote which I thought was brilliant:

Quote from: Roger Ebert
I have been watching Paul Newman in movies all of my life. He is so much a part of the landscape of modern American film that sometimes he is almost invisible: He does what he does with simplicity, grace and a minimum of fuss, and so I wonder if people even realize what a fine actor he is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: August 18, 2022, 07:52:58 AM »
My mom talked Towering Inferno up to me a few times over the years, but I never got around to seeing it. I love Steve McQueen. My favorite Paul Newman film is easily The Sting, though I don't really consider that a "Paul Newman film." My favorite performance of his might be Nobody's Fool. Looking it up on Wikipedia, I saw this quote which I thought was brilliant:

I have been watching Paul Newman in movies all of my life. He is so much a part of the landscape of modern American film that sometimes he is almost invisible: He does what he does with simplicity, grace and a minimum of fuss, and so I wonder if people even realize what a fine actor he is.

I don't want to ruin it for Harmony, so SPOILER ALERT, but both Newman and McQueen did TTI for a paycheck, and battled over top billing.  Each earned $1M for their roles.  Newman is excellent in the movie, but, IMO, you can tell that McQueen isn't invested.  Plus there's the one scene where McQueen is outside the glass elevator welding a hook on, and has a full gas torch assembly and welder's mask. It's accurate, I guess, but looks ridiculous.  :) :)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2325 on: August 18, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »

I don't want to ruin it for Harmony, so SPOILER ALERT, but both Newman and McQueen did TTI for a paycheck, and battled over top billing.  Each earned $1M for their roles.  Newman is excellent in the movie, but, IMO, you can tell that McQueen isn't invested.  Plus there's the one scene where McQueen is outside the glass elevator welding a hook on, and has a full gas torch assembly and welder's mask. It's accurate, I guess, but looks ridiculous.  :) :)

Chris - I think Ebert is spot on with that quote.  Watching The Last Movies Stars really reminded me about that.  His breadth of work is simply stunning.  And the actors he worked with over the years - I'm probably looking forward to this Newman movie binge for that as much as anything else.  He worked with freaking everybody.  And I quite liked Nobody's Fool and also his contribution to Message In a Bottle.

Newman did do TTI for a paycheck.  I did not remember that McQueen was also in it - he was also a Hollywood god in his heyday.  IIRC from The Last Movie Stars there was quite a bit of drinking going on during that filming.  Newman was an alcoholic, no doubt about that.  I can only imagine the backstage shenanigans that went on.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: August 18, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »
McQueen always struck me as always walking a fine line between 1) Stadler's least favorite acting, what he refers to as the Hoffman I'M ACTING HERE, I'M ACTING HERE!!, 2) being so cool his acting looks so natural and flawless, and 3) being so cool it looks like he doesn't care.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2327 on: August 19, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »
Finished Light & Magic on Disney+.  Man, what a great show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2328 on: August 20, 2022, 07:11:25 AM »
Just started watching War of the worlds, the first episode had me on the edge. Kinda missed this show when it first aired in 2019, had so many other shows to watch.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2329 on: August 20, 2022, 05:35:06 PM »

I always liked TTI. It's not a great film, but more of a fun experience with that massive cast (Holden and Dunnaway FTW). Not to mention the hysterical death of Robert Wagner. But yeah, neither of them looked particularly interested. Sometimes it worked, though. There's a great scene where McQueen is manning a fire hose and an elevator dings next to him. The doors open and there are 12 people inside all spectacularly on fire. He turns the hose on them for a second or two until the door closes again and heads down to the next floor. He shrugs it off and goes back to work on the fire with a look of sheer indifference that's just spectacular. Like 12 flaming people in an elevator is only the 32nd most interesting thing to happen to him that day.  :lol

Also, the competition between PN and SMQ led to then invention of this:

Newman gets top billing, but McQueen's name comes first. That's a compromise you'll see that a lot when people are bickering over top billing.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2330 on: August 21, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »
Just started watching War of the worlds, the first episode had me on the edge. Kinda missed this show when it first aired in 2019, had so many other shows to watch.

It’s a great show. Waiting for season 3 to drop.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2331 on: August 21, 2022, 10:22:48 AM »
I always liked TTI. It's not a great film, but more of a fun experience with that massive cast (Holden and Dunnaway FTW). Not to mention the hysterical death of Robert Wagner. But yeah, neither of them looked particularly interested. Sometimes it worked, though. There's a great scene where McQueen is manning a fire hose and an elevator dings next to him. The doors open and there are 12 people inside all spectacularly on fire. He turns the hose on them for a second or two until the door closes again and heads down to the next floor. He shrugs it off and goes back to work on the fire with a look of sheer indifference that's just spectacular. Like 12 flaming people in an elevator is only the 32nd most interesting thing to happen to him that day.  :lol

Forgot how Robert Wagner dies in that. Does Natalie Wood throw him off the building?

That bit about McQueen... that was what I was trying to get at in my earlier post. Is his character so cool to be ambivalent to those people on fire, or is he as an actor just bored with the role? 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2332 on: August 21, 2022, 03:25:56 PM »

Forgot how Robert Wagner dies in that. Does Natalie Wood throw him off the building?
If only. She could have saved herself.  :lol

He's shacked up with his mistress in one of the penthouse suites. When they appear to be doomed he wraps a wet towel around his head, proudly proclaims "I used to run the hundred in 10 flat," and runs right into the fire. He instantly goes up like he's soaked in gasoline and spends what seems like 2 minutes running around the apartment setting everything else on fire before he trips and crashes through the window. I thought he did the meteor thing on his way down, but it seems that was his girlfriend. Still, pretty funny. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2333 on: August 23, 2022, 05:20:11 PM »
Just finished Westword
Finishing Star Wars Rebels
Starting She-Hulk

Coming soon... Orphan Black
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2334 on: August 26, 2022, 09:49:41 AM »
I had some downtime this week, so I finally got around to watching The Bear on Hulu.

This show was SO GOOD.  I'm so glad that it got picked up for a second season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2335 on: August 26, 2022, 11:00:39 AM »
Never Have I Ever Season 3 (on episode 4, the wife wants to go slow)
Only Murders in the Building Season 2 (on episode 4, the wife wants to go slow)

likely to resume soon:
-12 Monkeys Season 2

likely to begin soon:
-Man in the High Castle Season 1
-Cobra Kai Season 5
-So Help Me Todd (CBS)
-Call Me Kat Season 3 (FOX)
-Quantum Leap (Reboot, NBC)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2336 on: August 26, 2022, 01:51:34 PM »
I just started Bob's Burgers.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2337 on: August 26, 2022, 02:52:42 PM »
Resident Alien is back for the 2nd half of season two. Still loving Alan Tudyk in that roll.

And I loved the 2nd season finale of Only Murders in the Building. I’m glad they are coming back for Season 3. Steve Martin has said he wants to retire when this show ends, and if that is the case, it is nice to see him end on something that is still very good. He and Martin seem like they are having a lot of fun doing it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2338 on: August 26, 2022, 08:02:19 PM »
I just watched a series on FX called The Old Man, starring Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. It’s kind of a slow burn thriller/ drama. It's based on a novel, so the dialogue at times is quite engaging.

Apparently there will be a second season because it has received so much praise.

So I started watching this based on your post.  Holy shit - it's great!  I'm only 3 episodes in and I'm hella-hooked.  I love both Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow so I'm sort of surprised that I'm late to this party.  I can't wait to see where this goes.  I swear the first 15 minutes of episode one kind of depressed me and I thought it was going to go a certain way and then wow - it really turned a corner fast! 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2339 on: August 27, 2022, 12:18:35 PM »
Finished ‘Sandman’ on Netflix. Thought it was good…..haven’t read the source material but I liked the show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2340 on: August 27, 2022, 09:20:40 PM »

So I started watching this based on your post.  Holy shit - it's great!  I'm only 3 episodes in and I'm hella-hooked.  I love both Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow so I'm sort of surprised that I'm late to this party.  I can't wait to see where this goes.  I swear the first 15 minutes of episode one kind of depressed me and I thought it was going to go a certain way and then wow - it really turned a corner fast!

I know what you mean about developing expectations about what the show was going to be based on those first 15 minutes. I didn’t know what the show was about, so I was pleasantly surprised when things got exciting pretty quickly in episode 1. I found that the plot was unpredictable for the most part and kept me guessing.

Glad you’re enjoying it  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2341 on: August 27, 2022, 11:18:33 PM »
If you like Beavis and Butthead…the new show is hilarious.

If you’re not a fan, this will not make you into one.

Transmission ends.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: August 30, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »

I’m an episode or so behind on season 2 but I really like this show. Bough I admit that the premise, on paper, sounds like a miss.

Steve Martin and Martin Short solve murders with Selena Gomez.

But man does it work.

We finished that last week and thought it was pretty good.  Very well written and there's a good variety of comedy.

If you like Beavis and Butthead…the new show is hilarious.

If you’re not a fan, this will not make you into one.

Transmission ends.

I'm amazed how hard I laughed at some of these episodes.  I love how they are doing the commentary for viral videos now too. 

Between some of the new shows we are watching, my gf and I have been watching the Sopranos because she never saw it and it's been so long for me that it almost feels like watching it new.  We finished season 1 last week and she's loving it.  I forgot how well written the show is and there are just so many killer one liners.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2343 on: August 30, 2022, 10:04:27 AM »
I'm trying to get my fam to watch The Sopranos with me.  No luck so far...

Online pg1067

« Reply #2344 on: August 30, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »
On my flights to and from the east coast last week, I started rewatching The Good Place and got through the first two seasons.  Season 1 is very different when you know what's coming.

I also started watching the Game of Thrones prequel (I only realized a couple days ago it had started).  So far, so good.  Rhanera (sp?) is a serious badass!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung