Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218221 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2240 on: July 18, 2022, 05:22:29 PM »
Has anyone here watched 'For All Mankind' on Apple TV? Is it worth the time investment to begin watching? I've been contemplating taking this one on.

It's on my list and I keep hearing amazing things about it. I will watch it once the current season is done.
Has anyone here watched 'For All Mankind' on Apple TV? Is it worth the time investment to begin watching? I've been contemplating taking this one on.
I would say yes, it's quite entertaining although a bit Hollywood at times but overall a good show.

So I plowed through this show and am all caught up to the latest episode 6 in Season 3.

Overall the show is great. However.. like MrBoom said, it gets very Hollywood, aka cliche, overdramatic, roll your eyes  at times. The space stuff is excellent. I liked season 2 more than the first one and three is going great so far with the potential to be the best so far. The drama stuff is hit and miss, works at times to give a lot more depth to characters and dynamics but most of the time it's... just ok. Overall It's very enjoyable.

Thanks for the feedback…..appreciate it. It seems the upside is greater than the downside so I’m going to give this one a go once I knock out ‘Banshee’
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2241 on: July 19, 2022, 07:16:33 AM »
I watched the first three episodes of Severance last night (Apple TV). What a mindfuck of an idea.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2242 on: July 19, 2022, 08:54:30 AM »
I watched the first three episodes of Severance last night (Apple TV). What a mindfuck of an idea.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts once finished.

And yes…..it’s a crazy freaking idea…..basically willingly creating a slave version of yourself and giving zero shits about it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #2243 on: July 19, 2022, 09:32:20 AM »
Just watched the first episode of Resident Evil on Netflix... Quite good so far.

Do I need to know anything about the lore and history of Resident Evil series/games to get into this?

I know absolutely dick about the lore and history of it. It's coming across as basically an origin story.

Cool. I’ll add it to the list.

This show appears to be getting terrible reviews. I'm assuming most who tune in would be either fans or people who are somewhat familiar with the franchise either with the video games or movies. I've only played one of the games a while back and seen most of the movies. The movies are just dumb schlock with occasional fun thrown in so they're entertaining in a bad B grade movie kinda way. So people familiar with the lore don't seem to be enjoying it.

I might check it out of curiosity at some point.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #2244 on: July 19, 2022, 07:50:48 PM »

It's on my list and I keep hearing amazing things about it. I will watch it once the current season is done.
I would say yes, it's quite entertaining although a bit Hollywood at times but overall a good show.

So I plowed through this show and am all caught up to the latest episode 6 in Season 3.

Overall the show is great. However.. like MrBoom said, it gets very Hollywood, aka cliche, overdramatic, roll your eyes  at times. The space stuff is excellent. I liked season 2 more than the first one and three is going great so far with the potential to be the best so far. The drama stuff is hit and miss, works at times to give a lot more depth to characters and dynamics but most of the time it's... just ok. Overall It's very enjoyable.

Thanks for the feedback…..appreciate it. It seems the upside is greater than the downside so I’m going to give this one a go once I knock out ‘Banshee’

My feedback sounds harsher than I intended it to be. The show would have been easily been a 9/10 or higher for me if they'd lose a few of those over the top moments but it doesn't detract from enjoying the show as a whole.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2245 on: July 20, 2022, 07:41:33 AM »
I've just been introduced into the Resident Evil universe; I played the second game, remastered, then went back and played the first.  Does the show use any of the characters - Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield - from those games? 

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2246 on: July 20, 2022, 04:23:38 PM »
I don't think any of those characters were in the new Resident Evil series.

The show seems to act as an origin for the T virus and zombies.  The main character was Albert Wexler, who I think was in the game (I never played them).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2247 on: July 22, 2022, 07:18:55 AM »
Finished the 20 years later season of Mad About You and was very disappointed. Some very good moments, for sure, but in many ways it felt like an even MORE 90's sitcom than when it was a 90's sitcom. I was hoping for some maturity or something, being that they brought THIS show back 20 years later. But no, it was just....another meh season. Nothing unique, nothing different, nothing new to say. Just typical 90's sitcom tropes (with some good moments sprinkled throughout).

Also, they seemed to completely ignore the last 2 episodes of the 7th season. Those episodes kept flash forwarding in time and this season just ignored everything they set up there, which felt really annoying.

Overall, a big meh for a show that deserved much better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2248 on: July 22, 2022, 09:52:36 AM »
Finished the 20 years later season of Mad About You and was very disappointed. Some very good moments, for sure, but in many ways it felt like an even MORE 90's sitcom than when it was a 90's sitcom. I was hoping for some maturity or something, being that they brought THIS show back 20 years later. But no, it was just....another meh season. Nothing unique, nothing different, nothing new to say. Just typical 90's sitcom tropes (with some good moments sprinkled throughout).

Also, they seemed to completely ignore the last 2 episodes of the 7th season. Those episodes kept flash forwarding in time and this season just ignored everything they set up there, which felt really annoying.

Agree.  It was quite underwhelming.  Paul was ok, but Jamie seemed to have regressed.  Also, the timeline of all of the flash forwards was weird.  If I recall correctly, Janeane Garofalo was supposed to be speaking from 20 years in the future, but she (the actress) was 35 at the time.  Of course, it's not at all unusual to cast older actors in younger roles, but it was a bit jarring to go from a 35yo Janeane Garofalo as Mabel to the then 23yo Abby Quinn.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: July 22, 2022, 11:01:00 AM »

I hated the original finale, so I'm glad they ignored those episodes.

Online Adami

« Reply #2250 on: July 22, 2022, 11:01:31 AM »
My biggest issue was Ira. In the flash forward he got back with his ex and had a bunch of kids. And now he runs and a restaurant and has no kids and is dating an Italian chef.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2251 on: July 22, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »
What I really wanted was a cameo from Lisa Kudrow as Gov. Ursula Buffay!  But alas.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2252 on: July 23, 2022, 05:32:32 AM »
My current line up is The Bear and The Boys.

Which are two separated shows, but it felt funny writing it like that  :lol

The Bear I've obviously checked it out "just because", since it was mentioned here, I understand how people can connect to it but I'm not so sure that people shouting continously in a kitchen is my kind of thing.

The Boys is always a fun watch.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2253 on: July 24, 2022, 11:07:00 AM »
Just watched the first episode of Resident Evil on Netflix... Quite good so far.

Do I need to know anything about the lore and history of Resident Evil series/games to get into this?

I know absolutely dick about the lore and history of it. It's coming across as basically an origin story.

This show appears to be getting terrible reviews. I'm assuming most who tune in would be either fans or people who are somewhat familiar with the franchise either with the video games or movies. I've only played one of the games a while back and seen most of the movies. The movies are just dumb schlock with occasional fun thrown in so they're entertaining in a bad B grade movie kinda way. So people familiar with the lore don't seem to be enjoying it.

Not to spoil anything but playing Billie Eilish music while having a character looking like her and with the same name...so cheap. One episode in and it's filled with cultural relevance to cater to a modern audience with all the teen drama you could ask for. I really hope it gets better!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2254 on: July 25, 2022, 02:01:18 PM »
Started the Umbrella Academy yesterday. Saw Ep. 1-3 and so far its good. Enjoying it.

While I was fully expecting it, I wish they would not drill the whole Vanya-to-Viktor transformation as much. The first 2 instances of it I thought were done nicely, but the rest feel unnecessary, IMO of course.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online faizoff

« Reply #2255 on: July 25, 2022, 02:06:55 PM »

Not to spoil anything but playing Billie Eilish music while having a character looking like her and with the same name...so cheap. One episode in and it's filled with cultural relevance to cater to a modern audience with all the teen drama you could ask for. I really hope it gets better!

From what I read, it's made out to be a teen drama and with them adding that character that you're describing, it looks to be targeting that audience as well. Might skip it then.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2256 on: July 25, 2022, 02:42:01 PM »
The Gilded Age is amazing. I've always loved the era almost obsessively and it's surreal to see it now made into a show.
I'm going through this topic to find a post, and I found this and I have to ask - on a scale from 100000 to 10000000, how disappointed were you with this year's Met Gala??? :rollin

Sorry for the off topic.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Adami

« Reply #2257 on: July 25, 2022, 04:59:15 PM »
Started the Umbrella Academy yesterday. Saw Ep. 1-3 and so far its good. Enjoying it.

While I was fully expecting it, I wish they would not drill the whole Vanya-to-Viktor transformation as much. The first 2 instances of it I thought were done nicely, but the rest feel unnecessary, IMO of course.

How are they drilling it? I think they gave it 1-3 scenes tops. It was barely a thing. It happened so quickly and then ignored.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2258 on: July 26, 2022, 04:44:46 AM »

How are they drilling it? I think they gave it 1-3 scenes tops. It was barely a thing. It happened so quickly and then ignored.

Yeah, I thought they handled it pretty nice.

"I'm Viktor now"
"Ah.... okay. Are you happy with yourself? yes? good, now there's an apocalypse coming"

It was as nonchalant as it could have realistically been.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2259 on: July 26, 2022, 06:16:21 AM »

I'll take that comment back, I saw Ep. 4-6 and it was not brought up, also, "drilling" may have been too strong of a word.

As I said, the first two instances I thought were handled nicely. But in Ep. 3 it was brought up again and I guess seeing the episodes back-to-back made me feel like they were overdoing it. But again, I take that comment back.

Really enjoying the show so far  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2260 on: July 29, 2022, 06:58:46 PM »
I am four episodes into Season 2 of Ted Lasso, and I can honestly say that the Christmas episode had me laughing so hard that I had tears running down my face.  The scene with Roy and Keeley talked to his niece about how a boy made fun of her rancid breath and their reactions when both tested it out had me rolling.  I had to pause it, I was laughing so hard.

And Roy's line about Jamie on the sports show is one of the best burns ever - "He's a muppet, and I hope he dies of the incurable condition of being a little bitch."  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2261 on: July 29, 2022, 08:47:47 PM »
Roy (fucking) Kent is an absolute treasure.
Photobucket sucks.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2262 on: July 29, 2022, 09:32:06 PM »
I am four episodes into Season 2 of Ted Lasso, and I can honestly say that the Christmas episode had me laughing so hard that I had tears running down my face.  The scene with Roy and Keeley talked to his niece about how a boy made fun of her rancid breath and their reactions when both tested it out had me rolling.  I had to pause it, I was laughing so hard.

And Roy's line about Jamie on the sports show is one of the best burns ever - "He's a muppet, and I hope he dies of the incurable condition of being a little bitch."  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I loved that episode, it's one of my favorite ones. I think it originally wasn't envisioned to be part of the season, when Apple told them to extend the season they wrote that as 'filler' episode of sorts. Roy Keane is a fantastic everytime. I need to do a rewatch.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2263 on: July 30, 2022, 06:22:52 AM »
Paper Girls  :tup

Online Adami

« Reply #2264 on: July 30, 2022, 06:28:17 AM »
Finished season 3 of Umbrella Academy.

I mean...it was alright? I enjoyed a lot of it, specifically Klause/Dad, Five/Sexy British girl, and even Luthor who is just a completely different character now. But the Viktor stuff, I thought, was pretty poorly handled, and his whole plot with Allison was mostly just frustrating. The overall plot just felt....boring? A bit uninspired I think. I just didn't feel much after the season. It was like "Oh..okay....next?"

I'll watch if there's a fourth season, and hopefully there's more life and energy in it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2265 on: July 30, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »
Roy (fucking) Kent is an absolute treasure.

"Noooooo!!" :lol :lol

I loved that episode, it's one of my favorite ones. I think it originally wasn't envisioned to be part of the season, when Apple told them to extend the season they wrote that as 'filler' episode of sorts. Roy Keane is a fantastic everytime. I need to do a rewatch.

The character development with Ted has obviously been tremendous, but even better with Rebecca.  My initial impression was, "Oh, okay, she will be the villain of the show," but she has been anything but.  She is becoming the character I root for the most.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2266 on: July 30, 2022, 01:35:29 PM »

From what I read, it's made out to be a teen drama and with them adding that character that you're describing, it looks to be targeting that audience as well. Might skip it then.
Yea I kinda missed that so I was expecting something diffrent.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2267 on: July 31, 2022, 02:35:02 PM »
I started watching a show on Hulu called 11.22.63.  Apparently, it's based on a Stephen King novel, but I didn't know that.  The premise is that there's a time portal in a cafe in rural Maine that goes back to 1960, and the main character is urged to go back to prevent the assassination of JFK.  I'm only one episode (of eight) in, and it's pretty good, so I'm hoping that will continue.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2268 on: July 31, 2022, 09:04:40 PM »
Started Blade Runner: Black Lotus and I like it alot so far.  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: August 01, 2022, 07:55:59 AM »
I started watching a show on Hulu called 11.22.63.  Apparently, it's based on a Stephen King novel, but I didn't know that.  The premise is that there's a time portal in a cafe in rural Maine that goes back to 1960, and the main character is urged to go back to prevent the assassination of JFK.  I'm only one episode (of eight) in, and it's pretty good, so I'm hoping that will continue.

My favorite book of all time.  I read the last 100 pages sitting on the can, my feet numb from same, with tears running down my face. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2270 on: August 01, 2022, 08:11:49 AM »

Great miniseries!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2271 on: August 01, 2022, 08:28:19 AM »

Great miniseries!

Is that the one with James Franco? 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2272 on: August 01, 2022, 08:57:14 AM »
Indeed it is.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2273 on: August 01, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »
Finished the third episode last night.  I hated to turn if off because I want to know what's next.  Also dying to find out how Jake's interference with the past plays out when he gets back to the present that he left.

It has also occurred to me how easy it must have been to get away with random crimes back in the day!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2274 on: August 01, 2022, 01:09:07 PM »

My favorite book of all time.  I read the last 100 pages sitting on the can, my feet numb from same, with tears running down my face. 

Not my #1 King book, but certainly way up there. Funnily enough, for all everyone considers him a horror writer my favorite writing that he's done usually involves him really spending some time with a love story (everything with Sadie in 11/22/63 and then the majority of Wizard and Glass from his Dark Tower series).

The miniseries is not bad, though it does have some notable departures from the book and also skips some of my favorite parts of it (though understandably so). If you enjoy the miniseries I would highly recommend the book.
Photobucket sucks.