Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 216025 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2135 on: May 23, 2022, 07:30:33 AM »
Disagree.  "I've had better" was perfect for the show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2136 on: May 27, 2022, 08:16:14 PM »
Just got the Good Place and Parks and Rec boxsets recently, coupled with the 30 Rock set I got last month I'm set for several rewatches, rotating streaming availability be damned.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2137 on: May 30, 2022, 10:23:56 AM »
Finished up Bosch: Legacy.  A worthy follow-up to Bosch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2138 on: May 30, 2022, 02:03:26 PM »
Just got the Good Place and Parks and Rec boxsets recently, coupled with the 30 Rock set I got last month I'm set for several rewatches, rotating streaming availability be damned.

Does the 30 rock one have the episodes that have been deleted from streaming because of blackface?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2139 on: May 30, 2022, 02:06:19 PM »
I will be working my way back to The Wire here very soon. I had failed in my previous attempts to get into it, but as seemingly everyone I know whom I talk to about dramatic TV shows raves over it, I felt a 3rd attempt was necessary.  And I finally got through all of Season 1 and really enjoyed it.  I was about to start Season 2 when life happened (February, I am sure some will know what I am talking about), so I got thrown off track, but I plan to dig back into it here very soon.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2140 on: May 30, 2022, 02:09:50 PM »

Does the 30 rock one have the episodes that have been deleted from streaming because of blackface?

Yup it has them all, I also have the community boxset and Netflix removed the Dungeons and Dragons episode on that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2141 on: May 31, 2022, 05:58:08 AM »
Couple season/series finales this past week, with mixed reactions.

I thought the This Is Us finale was appropriate; subtle, meaningful.  A bit of a let down following the previous episode, but still good.  I thought it ended well.

Bull ended; a mediocre ending for a mediocre series.   Of COURSE Bull does the "right thing" in the face of what are presented as "rules" that "don't make sense", but I guess you can only dig so deep in 42 minutes. 

NCIS ended the season on a cliff-hanger; I guess that insures that (the excellent) Gary Cole is returning as Agent Alden Parker.  I dig him and so I'm glad.  The Palmer/Knight romance, though, is a mind-boggler and I'm not down with that at all. 

The FBI Most Wanted and FBI International season finales were good.  I'm not sure I'm totally sold on Dylan McDermott as a replacement for Julian McMahon, but it is what it is, and could be a lot worse. He's just a little too free-wheeling for an FBI agent, and I'm constantly reminded that I'm confused as to where he gets his money from.  :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2142 on: May 31, 2022, 06:10:40 AM »
I watched the first few episodes of a show called Ghosts last night.   

Absolutely hilarious.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2143 on: May 31, 2022, 07:26:16 AM »
We finished up The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.  Good stuff.  Not quite to the level of Bosch on Amazon, but the cast was mostly good, and I would say that all in all, Michael Connelly should feel pretty good about it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2144 on: May 31, 2022, 08:21:20 AM »
We finished up The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.  Good stuff.  Not quite to the level of Bosch on Amazon, but the cast was mostly good, and I would say that all in all, Michael Connelly should feel pretty good about it.

I loved it much more than the original film and I'm glad that they didn't re-tell the story from the first book and kicked this series off with the second book.

I did notice that The Lincoln Lawyer and the new Bosch Legacy series each included little bits of dialoge where Mickey and Harry spoke about their parents.  I'm wondering if they're thinking of having some cross-over in the future like the books do, despite each series being on a different streaming provider.  The Lincoln Lawyer was green-lit for a Season 2 and they'll adapt the next book, where Harry appears as his investigator.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2145 on: May 31, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »

I loved it much more than the original film and I'm glad that they didn't re-tell the story from the first book and kicked this series off with the second book.

I did notice that The Lincoln Lawyer and the new Bosch Legacy series each included little bits of dialoge where Mickey and Harry spoke about their parents.  I'm wondering if they're thinking of having some cross-over in the future like the books do, despite each series being on a different streaming provider.  The Lincoln Lawyer was green-lit for a Season 2 and they'll adapt the next book, where Harry appears as his investigator.
Connelly has said there will be no crossover.  Completely different production companies, let alone different streaming services.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2146 on: May 31, 2022, 09:16:55 AM »
Darn - I figured it wasn't going to happen, but each show premiering around the same time and including that in the writing surprised me. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: May 31, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »

Absolutely hilarious.

The US version or the UK version?  Both are good, IMO.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2148 on: May 31, 2022, 11:35:50 AM »

Absolutely hilarious.

I didn't even know there was a UK version, but I'll have to check that one out now as well!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: June 01, 2022, 12:05:58 PM »

Absolutely hilarious.

I didn't even know there was a UK version, but I'll have to check that one out now as well!

It's available on HBOMax.  The UK was the original.  Some of the early episode plots are similar between the two versions, but they start to diverge pretty quickly.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2150 on: June 01, 2022, 12:42:20 PM »

Absolutely hilarious.

It's available on HBOMax.  The UK was the original.  Some of the early episode plots are similar between the two versions, but they start to diverge pretty quickly.

Good to know! That seems to be the case with a lot of shows the US lifts (Thinking The Office).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: June 03, 2022, 06:04:57 AM »
So....  watched the last three episodes of the season of The Blacklist.  It's network television, so they ramp up the excitement as much as they can... then it works out where nothing really changes.  I'm used to that, and okay with it, though the leaps of credibility are by necessity getting longer and longer.  They teased again, subtly, the idea that Red is actually Keen's MOM, instead of DAD, which I am still not liking even a little bit, but it is what it is.

It's a great show, and James Spader is an UNBELIEVABLE actor; the scene with Marvin Gerard in the judge's office was some of the best television acting I've seen in a long time.   He is just sitting there, telling his story, and you can FEEL the rage of betrayal.  Excellent.

Some of you know me to be a HUGE Ritchie Blackmore fan; the third to last episode was a treat.  The last nine minutes or so played out with "Child In Time" playing in the background.  It was so cool; the song started, and I expected it to either fade once the jam part came in, or for it to be one of those montages where there's no dialogue, but no!  The last nine minutes, with dialogue, just played out with the song in the background, obviously adjusted for levels where appropriate.  I was like a kid in a candy store!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2152 on: June 04, 2022, 09:04:24 AM »
Just finished:
Grace and Frankie
Love, death & Robots (both great)

About to finish Lost in space

Rebels S02E07
Obi-Wan Kenobi S01E03

About to start:
The Boys
The Orville
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online HOF

« Reply #2153 on: June 04, 2022, 10:17:51 PM »
We just finished watching Night Sky on Amazon Prime. It was really well done (acting, cinematography, etc.), but a slow build and probably best if you just watch it without knowing what it's about. You just kind of have to hang with it. Hopefully they make a second season, though after finishing the first season I really have no idea where it might be going.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2154 on: June 06, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
Finished One Perfect Shot on HBO Max.  Really fun show.  6 episodes, each centered around a different film director, explaining everything that went into one particular perfect shot in one of their films.  The highlight for me was Michael Mann's episode where he presented the shootout scene from Heat, but really they were all good.  Two thumbs up.   :tup :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2155 on: June 11, 2022, 09:52:45 AM »
Just finished Inventing Anna. Good enough to keep watching 'til the end, nothing mindblowing, but it was interesting to see how a fake socialite managed to scam a lot of people into believing she was rich and pay for her luxuries accordingly.

Also ended The Pentavirate, comedy series about a secret society with Mike Myers playing various roles. Again, nothing to write home about but some laughs here and there.

I started Godless, seems kinda cool.

And then, since season 6 finally arrived on Netflix, I'm gonna finish off the show made famous (among other things) by an awesome and mesmerizing performance by Cillian Murphy as Thomas Shelby, by order of the Peaky fookin' Blinders  :metal :metal :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: June 13, 2022, 07:50:06 AM »
I'm burning through DVR items and we've been watching the three Law and Orders.  I'm watching them by episode (so, L&O, L&):SVU, and L&O:OC one after another) rather than all the L&O's, then all the L&O:SVU's, etc., since there are so many frequent crossovers (though most of the crossovers now are just "universe references").   

They are still solid.   The best is L&O:OC, since Christopher Meloni is so friggin' good, and Denis Leary is a welcome add as "villain".  L&O:SVU is second; for a show that should be tired, and should have jumped the shark (the Rollins/Carisi thing is maddening), runs the risk of being preachy and "woke", it's still strong.  I was never a real Mariska Hargitay fan, but she's so good at walking the line between delivering realism and pragmatism and still delivering the "message" of each show.   That, and please excuse if this is crass (given the nature of the show's subject matter), but she is aging so gracefully; I think she is SO much more attractive today than when she was younger. 

L&O is good; Jack McCoy is still solid in his 4 minutes of screen time each episode.  :)     The problem for me is that I LOVE Anthony Anderson and Jeffrey Donovan (especially) as the cops, but the two lawyers - Hugh Dancy and I don't know her name - are sort of tedious.  He's the worst, and while she could be a strong character, she's been mainly a foil as of late.  The show drags for me a bit once it gets to the courtroom.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2157 on: June 13, 2022, 08:24:58 AM »
I'm burning through DVR items and we've been watching the three Law and Orders.  I'm watching them by episode (so, L&O, L&):SVU, and L&O:OC one after another) rather than all the L&O's, then all the L&O:SVU's, etc., since there are so many frequent crossovers (though most of the crossovers now are just "universe references").   

They are still solid.   The best is L&O:OC, since Christopher Meloni is so friggin' good, and Denis Leary is a welcome add as "villain".  L&O:SVU is second; for a show that should be tired, and should have jumped the shark (the Rollins/Carisi thing is maddening), runs the risk of being preachy and "woke", it's still strong.  I was never a real Mariska Hargitay fan, but she's so good at walking the line between delivering realism and pragmatism and still delivering the "message" of each show.   That, and please excuse if this is crass (given the nature of the show's subject matter), but she is aging so gracefully; I think she is SO much more attractive today than when she was younger. 

L&O is good; Jack McCoy is still solid in his 4 minutes of screen time each episode.  :)     The problem for me is that I LOVE Anthony Anderson and Jeffrey Donovan (especially) as the cops, but the two lawyers - Hugh Dancy and I don't know her name - are sort of tedious.  He's the worst, and while she could be a strong character, she's been mainly a foil as of late.  The show drags for me a bit once it gets to the courtroom.

I would agree with most of this post.  Organized Crime has been awesome and I love seeing Stabler again.  Christopher Meloni has been fantastic in the undercover situations. 

SVU is still really good and I definitely agree about Mariska Hargitay. 

The original show has been good, but I don't like how they write the white detective to be the anti-woke individual just to play him off of Anthony Anderson being black.  Aside from that guy's commentary on social issues, it's been nice to see, especially Sam Waterson.  I grew up watching the original (and actually planned my senior year college course schedule around the times when the re-runs would air on tv) so having him back as Jack McCoy is fun to see. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2158 on: June 13, 2022, 08:57:59 AM »
Just signed back up to Now TV on a cheap 3 month deal - So intend to watch..

- Barry.
- Peacemaker.
- Banshee.
- Succession.

Currently watching.

- The Boys.
- The Orville.
- Obi Wan.
- Stranger Things.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2159 on: June 13, 2022, 09:57:41 AM »
I'm a little bit peeved...I think at Amazon.

I went back to re-watch Mad About You.  I finished it about 10 days ago and moved onto the reboot from 2019, which was only 12 episodes.  I've been watching right before I go to sleep, so I occasionally will peter out half way through an episode.  I watched the first 11 episodes of the reboot and started the final episode and turned it off after about 10 minutes.  I went to finish it the next day, and, "This video is currently unavailable."  EVERY OTHER episode is available, but the final episode is not.  WTF?!  The reboot was no better than just ok, but I want to finish the damn thing!

So I moved onto Cougar Town.  Stupid fun.  Courteney Cox being hot, along with Christa Miller, whom I regretfully didn't know until now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2160 on: June 17, 2022, 04:22:42 PM »
along with Christa Miller, whom I regretfully didn't know until now.

Give an oportunity to Scrubs. Great show. And Christa is there.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2161 on: June 17, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »
Just signed back up to Now TV on a cheap 3 month deal - So intend to watch..

- Barry.
- Peacemaker.
- Banshee.
- Succession.

Currently watching.

- The Boys.
- The Orville.
- Obi Wan.
- Stranger Things.

Good taste pal!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2162 on: June 18, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
Just started the new Iron Chef series on Netflix, along with my Westworld re-watch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2163 on: June 18, 2022, 01:45:05 PM »
Started S6 of Peaky Blinders last night….got three in. Love that show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2164 on: June 19, 2022, 08:54:25 AM »

I'm five in, I will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow.

Cillian Murphy as Thomas Shelby is one of the very best performances in TV shows of the last 10-15 years. I'd put it on the podium alongside Bryan Cranston as Walter White, and Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok. Characters piercing and mesmerizing that you can't help but stand in awe whenever they're on screen.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: June 19, 2022, 09:57:23 AM »

I'm five in, I will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow.

Cillian Murphy as Thomas Shelby is one of the very best performances in TV shows of the last 10-15 years. I'd put it on the podium alongside Bryan Cranston as Walter White, and Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok. Characters piercing and mesmerizing that you can't help but stand in awe whenever they're on screen.

Agreed about Cillian Murphy. He makes the show and is captivating as Shelby.  His performance is epic.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2166 on: June 19, 2022, 03:28:35 PM »
along with Christa Miller, whom I regretfully didn't know until now.

Give an oportunity to Scrubs. Great show. And Christa is there.

That's one of those 2000s shows that I missed that I feel like I should've watched.  Lost is another, so maybe one of these days.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2167 on: June 19, 2022, 04:45:40 PM »
Agreed about Peaky Blinders. I'm only two episodes in but watching the slow crumble of the Shelby empire over the last few seasons has been quite captivating. One thing I totally missed or maybe am just misremembering but

didn't Alfie get shot and killed on a beach in one of the seasons or was that a misdirect? I could have sworn he was dead.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2168 on: June 19, 2022, 04:58:12 PM »
Agreed about Peaky Blinders. I'm only two episodes in but watching the slow crumble of the Shelby empire over the last few seasons has been quite captivating. One thing I totally missed or maybe am just misremembering but

didn't Alfie get shot and killed on a beach in one of the seasons or was that a misdirect? I could have sworn he was dead.

He did get shot but they never showed him die. It was implied I think but there was never a for sure moment.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2169 on: June 19, 2022, 06:27:17 PM »
Ahh gotcha. With the time between seasons my memory of the specifics of the show has gotten fuzzy. Thanks!