Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218612 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1925 on: February 09, 2022, 04:46:32 PM »
My parents watch Good Doctor.. It's 10 pounds of cringe in a 5 pound bag.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: February 09, 2022, 10:56:41 PM »
My wife has read most of the books, and works with autistic children. She has never mentioned it whenever we've talked about the series. I'll ask her about it.
Autism on adults can be pretty different than on children though, mostly due to masking and sometimes successfully learning to read social cues and how to express yourself in neurotypical manner. It's also not a single spectrum, but a 5-dimensional one based on different aspects like sensitivity or routine and repetition.

Fascinating insight. As you can imagine, about every single discussion we have on the topic is about kids. I had never considered the differences with adults, and that is out of her bailiwick.

I'm not familiar with the character so I can't tell, but it'd be cool if he was somewhat on the spectrum. Media mostly portrays us as annoying but super smart kids and I hate it :P

I know it was a big deal with Sesame Street added an autistic Muppet a while back. I don't watch any TV so cannot comment on how the media generally portrays the subject.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1927 on: February 10, 2022, 02:31:19 AM »
Saw Midnight Mass.

Slow burn psychological thriller, with strong religious overtones, that steers soon into.... interesting territories. As I said it's a slow burn, but when things comes to a head, boy if it's memorable!!!

It's also 7 episodes so it's not that time consuming.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: February 10, 2022, 07:23:42 AM »
I don't watch any TV so cannot comment on how the media generally portrays the subject.

Interesting comment for the "What Shows are you currently watching?" thread.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1929 on: February 10, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »
Finished Reacher last night.  That was all kinds of fun, and it was one of my favorite things that I've watched recently.  I hope we get several more seasons.  I'm only bummed that Roscoe probably won't be in them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1930 on: February 10, 2022, 11:50:25 AM »
Finished Reacher last night.  That was all kinds of fun, and it was one of my favorite things that I've watched recently.  I hope we get several more seasons.  I'm only bummed that Roscoe probably won't be in them.
It's been renewed for a second season, and hopefully Roscoe will never be seen again, because that will mean that the adaptations are faithful.

She was great, though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1931 on: February 10, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »
I started The Expanse a while ago, and now I'm in season 2. I know, I'm super late with this.
A bit slow to start IMO, but once it got going it really hooked me. Can't wait to watch 4 more seasons of this!

I also checked out "The Legend of Vox Machina" recently. A really fun R Rated animated show, set in a fantasy world. A lot of raunchy jokes, and even the story started to get really interesting in episode 3. Six episodes have been released so far, with more on the way. And this is definitely NOT for kids. :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1932 on: February 10, 2022, 07:05:10 PM »
I don't watch any TV so cannot comment on how the media generally portrays the subject.

Interesting comment for the "What Shows are you currently watching?" thread.

:lol I saw this thread when I clicked the Recent Posts link and saw people talking about Reacher, so wanted to jump in as a fan of the books, and see what people thought of the show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1933 on: February 14, 2022, 06:59:18 AM »
It's been renewed for a second season, and hopefully Roscoe will never be seen again, because that will mean that the adaptations are faithful.

She was great, though.

Finished this one last night as well. It was a fun series....nothing groundbreaking but certainly a good watch. Perfect amount of episodes and episode lengths. I've not read the books so it is a bummer learning that Roscoe's character doesn't play a future role because she was great. But, I'm sure that the supporting cast each season will be just as compelling moving forward.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1934 on: February 14, 2022, 07:26:13 AM »
The best way to watch Reacher was to pretend Skynet upload the complete works of Sherlock Holmes into a T-800 unit and sent him back to beat on rednecks.

I'd have to call it a very guilty pleasure, it's really badly written, and full of often unintentionally hilarious macho nonsense....but it did just about hold my interest as it came to it's completely predictable conclusion.  Not sure I'd rush to watch another series though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1935 on: February 14, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »
Working through season 2 of Raising Dion... Such a solid show.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1936 on: February 14, 2022, 06:17:34 PM »
Ok, I've read probably 6 or 7 of the Lee Child Reacher series books.  I couldn't bring myself to watch Tom Cruise in the role, so I stayed far away from that.

I've seen the first episode of the series now.  I like it.  I have never seen Alan Ritchson in anything before. He certainly has the physicality down.  I'm not seeing the autism traits so much.  He's almost more social than how I read Reacher in the books.  He is openly flirting with the female cop, goading on the bad guys, amused at outsmarting the local cops.  Its been years since I've read the books, but the book Reacher seems to want to fly under the radar and not get caught up in local bullshit.  Ritchson makes it seem like he's having fun.  And I'm not knocking that...it makes it fun to watch him.  It's just different than how I would've thought the actor would. go.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1937 on: February 14, 2022, 07:16:18 PM »
Anyone watching Bel Air?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1938 on: February 14, 2022, 08:24:50 PM »
Anyone watching Bel Air?

I'm going to check it out, very intriguing premise. It's on Peacock, right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1939 on: February 14, 2022, 08:33:58 PM »
Anyone watching Bel Air?

I have no idea. I saw the scenes to it, and though I'll never watch a minute of it, it does seem like an interesting premise. It's not merely a reboot. I think that's cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1940 on: February 14, 2022, 10:11:01 PM »
Working through season 2 of Raising Dion... Such a solid show.
I just started watching this show. Still in season 1 and I'm and very intrigued by the premise and what they are setting up. Definitely solid so far.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1941 on: February 15, 2022, 07:07:23 AM »
Anyone watching Bel Air?

What's the intriguing premise?  I thought it was just a darker, more serious take on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1942 on: February 15, 2022, 07:18:43 AM »
Ok, I've read probably 6 or 7 of the Lee Child Reacher series books.  I couldn't bring myself to watch Tom Cruise in the role, so I stayed far away from that.

I've seen the first episode of the series now.  I like it.  I have never seen Alan Ritchson in anything before. He certainly has the physicality down.  I'm not seeing the autism traits so much.  He's almost more social than how I read Reacher in the books.  He is openly flirting with the female cop, goading on the bad guys, amused at outsmarting the local cops.  Its been years since I've read the books, but the book Reacher seems to want to fly under the radar and not get caught up in local bullshit.  Ritchson makes it seem like he's having fun.  And I'm not knocking that...it makes it fun to watch him.  It's just different than how I would've thought the actor would. go.

I just googled Alan Ritchson and just based on looks, that seems a good fit.  I may need to watch this (though my list is getting long).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1943 on: February 15, 2022, 09:03:27 AM »
Been watching Station Eleven.

GOOD LORD!

That show is messing with me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1944 on: February 15, 2022, 09:17:09 AM »

In the books, Reacher does a lot of thinking, so you can read his thoughts.  The show had to make him more verbal in order to get that information across to viewers. 

As to the people who wanted Roscoe to continue on - since Reacher is a wanderer, he'll wander into a new town, which means new women to partner up with. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1945 on: February 15, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »
Anyone watching Bel Air?

I've driven past it a few times, but I've never watched it.

Seriously...I never watched the original, so I have no interest in a sequel/remake/reboot.

As to the people who wanted Roscoe to continue on - since Reacher is a wanderer, he'll wander into a new town, which means new women to partner up with. 

I mostly just wanted to know why she was named Roscoe.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: February 15, 2022, 10:07:05 AM »

GOOD LORD!

I LOVED that show. I think it’s one of the better ones to have come out in a while. I know RJ dug it a lot as well.

What’s messing with you about it?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1947 on: February 15, 2022, 10:11:24 AM »

GOOD LORD!

I LOVED that show. I think it’s one of the better ones to have come out in a while. I know RJ dug it a lot as well.

Oh I meant it in a good way. Kinda. Haha.

So we're a little more than half way through. My fiancé and I watched an episode Sunday morning then went to Manhattan to walk around. When we got to Manhattan, it was snowing, bitter cold, and VERY few people out. It just felt like the end of the world from the show and then when we went inside somewhere, a part of me was like "Survivors!"

But yea, it's a fantastic show. Few issues here and there but that last episode I saw when the girl was interacting with her own flashback while being poisoned was top notch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: February 15, 2022, 10:21:17 AM »

GOOD LORD!

So we're a little more than half way through. My fiancé and I watched an episode Sunday morning then went to Manhattan to walk around. When we got to Manhattan, it was snowing, bitter cold, and VERY few people out. It just felt like the end of the world from the show and then when we went inside somewhere, a part of me was like "Survivors!"

But yea, it's a fantastic show. Few issues here and there but that last episode I saw when the girl was interacting with her own flashback while being poisoned was top notch.

Gotcha. I thought it was a beautiful show. Really well acted....edited....all aspects just handled great. Far outweighs any of the small nit picks one could find. And that episode was cool!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: February 15, 2022, 01:53:05 PM »

Her grandfather was a Sherriff in Hazzard.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1950 on: February 15, 2022, 02:24:48 PM »
Anyone watching Bel Air?

What's the intriguing premise?  I thought it was just a darker, more serious take on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?

That's it....intriguing, isn't it?

GOOD LORD!

Gotcha. I thought it was a beautiful show. Really well acted....edited....all aspects just handled great. Far outweighs any of the small nit picks one could find. And that episode was cool!

That, and the penultimate episode were my favorites, with the finale a close second.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1951 on: February 15, 2022, 03:06:24 PM »

Her grandfather was a Sherriff in Hazzard.

I would love if that were the explanation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1952 on: February 16, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »
Anyone watching Bel Air?

That's it....intriguing, isn't it?
Is it?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1953 on: February 17, 2022, 09:00:49 AM »
Peacemaker finale was today and it was solid. I have to say this one DC show has been better than all the MCU shows combined so far. Really consistent tone and characters and just loved every episode in the whole season. I'm glad it was picked up for another season and word is James Gunn will write and direct every single episode.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: February 17, 2022, 01:43:19 PM »
Peacemaker finale was today and it was solid. I have to say this one DC show has been better than all the MCU shows combined so far. Really consistent tone and characters and just loved every episode in the whole season. I'm glad it was picked up for another season and word is James Gunn will write and direct every single episode.

Fun show. Enjoyed it....looking forward to S2

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1955 on: February 17, 2022, 02:26:25 PM »
Blade Runner - Black Lotus
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1956 on: February 17, 2022, 07:04:04 PM »

Really enjoyed the final. What a well written,  fun show.  Plus, it had heart
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1957 on: February 18, 2022, 06:10:12 AM »
I'm late to the party, but I'm watching the latest season of Curb Your Enthusiasm right now.    "I can tap!  I can tap!  Give me a chance to tap!"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1958 on: February 18, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
The Peacemaker season finale was awesome.  Loved the cameos at the end.

"Go fuck another fish, asshole."   :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1959 on: February 18, 2022, 09:13:28 AM »
The Peacemaker season finale was awesome.  Loved the cameos at the end.

"Go fuck another fish, asshole."   :lol

That whole exchange was so hilarious.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan