Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218749 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1890 on: February 07, 2022, 11:52:00 AM »
Binged the new show Reacher on Prime over the weekend. For readers of the book series, THIS, not the Tom Cruise films, is the definitive adaptation. Very entertaining, and I highly recommend.

I got two and a half episodes into it over the weekend.  I've never read the books or seen the movies, but I thought it was really good.  After the first episode, I told my wife that the question I wanted answered most is why Roscoe is named Roscoe.   :biggrin:

I have read the books, and I never could really cotton to Cruise as Reacher.  I'd check this out.  Who is in the title role?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1891 on: February 07, 2022, 12:09:08 PM »
Binged the new show Reacher on Prime over the weekend. For readers of the book series, THIS, not the Tom Cruise films, is the definitive adaptation. Very entertaining, and I highly recommend.

I got two and a half episodes into it over the weekend.  I've never read the books or seen the movies, but I thought it was really good.  After the first episode, I told my wife that the question I wanted answered most is why Roscoe is named Roscoe.   :biggrin:

I have read the books, and I never could really cotton to Cruise as Reacher.  I'd check this out.  Who is in the title role?
An actor named Alan Ritchson.  I've never seen him in anything else, but he played Aquaman on Smallville, and Hank Hall/Hawk on Legends of Tomorrow.  He was also on Blue Mountain State.

He's a naturally big guy, and apparently put on another 30 pounds of muscle for this role.  He definitely looks the part, but his acting is really good too.  He gets all of the nuance of the character, and portrays it effectively.

Honestly, I was hoping it would be good, but it was better than I thought it would be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1892 on: February 07, 2022, 12:15:10 PM »
Gotta clarify something Hef, cause I'm a bad nerd if I don't.

So the dude played Hawk on Titans. There was a Hawkman on Legends of Tomorrow but the actor was REALLY bad. That's why I looked it up cause no way is that guy doing a good job at anything.

But the dude who played Hawk on Titans was really good, so I can buy that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1893 on: February 07, 2022, 12:17:40 PM »

So the dude played Hawk on Titans. There was a Hawkman on Legends of Tomorrow but the actor was REALLY bad. That's why I looked it up cause no way is that guy doing a good job at anything.

Yes, he's Hawk on Titans.  I love he deadpan straightforwardness.  I never read the books but I might dive into them now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1894 on: February 07, 2022, 12:33:16 PM »

I said he was Hawk.  I didn't say he played Hawkman. 

Hank Hall/Hawk.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #1895 on: February 07, 2022, 12:35:18 PM »

Hank Hall/Hawk.

Yes, but you said Legends of Tomorrow. Not a big deal, just wanted to clarify that the dude is actually pretty good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1896 on: February 07, 2022, 12:57:13 PM »
I just started watching Reacher and am loving it so far.  Alan really does have that nuance of Reacher down, both physically and verbally through the dialogue. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1897 on: February 07, 2022, 01:44:15 PM »

Hank Hall/Hawk.

Yes, but you said Legends of Tomorrow. Not a big deal, just wanted to clarify that the dude is actually pretty good.
Ah.  Wikipedia lied to me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1898 on: February 07, 2022, 04:11:22 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1899 on: February 07, 2022, 05:08:28 PM »
Banshee.

Loving it.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1900 on: February 07, 2022, 06:23:01 PM »
Watched Yellowjackets in a few days, really liked it. Was mostly intrigued by it since Lost is my all time favorite tv-show. I don't think this reaches quite those levels, but I was really entertained and I'm curious to see where it goes next.

I blasted through the rest of it yesterday and enjoyed it. A bit too weird at times, but I still dig it.  Christina Ricci's portrayal of Misty is fantastic.

Online Adami

« Reply #1901 on: February 07, 2022, 06:29:16 PM »

Hank Hall/Hawk.

And for that, it shall burn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: February 07, 2022, 10:14:26 PM »
I have read the books, and I never could really cotton to Cruise as Reacher. 

I was spoiled a bit going in to this, with the outcry from my mom who is a huge Reacher series fan (and still enjoys Tom Cruise as an actor). I enjoyed the first film well enough, and after the first 15 minutes or so didn't have a problem with the casting, despite never being able to completely shed the notion that I was watching Tom Cruise.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: February 08, 2022, 09:12:51 AM »

Hank Hall/Hawk.

It looks like he had a cameo on Legends of Tomorrow, During the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1904 on: February 08, 2022, 09:55:08 AM »
He played Aquaman on Smallville.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #1905 on: February 08, 2022, 10:03:37 AM »
He played Roy in Steam.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: February 08, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
Just finished up watching the first season of Reacher. Much testosterone was had by all...kinda fun, really. It certainly captured the flavor of the books way better than the Cruise movie. I also thought it was an interesting decision to base an entire season on one book. You could probably read Killing Floor in about the same time it takes to watch the season.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1907 on: February 08, 2022, 10:06:15 PM »
Question about Reacher for anyone who read the books... Is he supposed to be on the spectrum or is he just beyond meticulous. The way he's being played in the show, he does have autistic tendencies.

Loving the show, this just keeps itching at me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: February 08, 2022, 10:20:53 PM »
I am not aware of him having issues along the spectrum. It is never addressed explicitly anyway. We grew up an Army brat, which speaks to him never feeling settled or wanting to have a permanent home, and served as an MP, which informs his meticulousness.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1909 on: February 08, 2022, 10:24:21 PM »
Ok.. Was just curious. Those things along with his dead pan emotionless delivery was making me think it. Thanks man.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: February 08, 2022, 10:30:12 PM »
I haven't seen the show yet so do not know how he is portrayed there. He is not particularly verbose. He just internalizes a lot and is accustomed to working alone.

I said he never feels settled which is a little inaccurate. He is "settled" being on the road. He enjoys being a nomad. He doesn't want to be tied down to a permanent residence, mortgage, and other things that make many of us feel "settled."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1911 on: February 09, 2022, 01:13:49 AM »
I've watched the first 3 episodes of Reacher..............and it just feels like a straight to video Steven Seagal movie. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1912 on: February 09, 2022, 05:32:47 AM »
I haven't seen the show yet so do not know how he is portrayed there. He is not particularly verbose. He just internalizes a lot and is accustomed to working alone.

I said he never feels settled which is a little inaccurate. He is "settled" being on the road. He enjoys being a nomad. He doesn't want to be tied down to a permanent residence, mortgage, and other things that make many of us feel "settled."

Interesting, it must be the actor's portrayal that's doing it, I'd be curious to see your thoughts once you see it. I did a quick search and it seems I'm not the only one who had this notion.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1913 on: February 09, 2022, 05:45:33 AM »

Interesting, it must be the actor's portrayal that's doing it, I'd be curious to see your thoughts once you see it. I did a quick search and it seems I'm not the only one who had this notion.

In fact, my wife asked me that exact question in almost exactly the same way you did.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1914 on: February 09, 2022, 05:59:00 AM »
-Blake's 7 ..After being sucked in to both The Expanse and Sense8 over the last 2 months, my love of Scifi seems to be rekindled. I have always meant to see this show and just looked it up and found it available on Amazon Prime.

Well fuck.  Not on Amazon Prime in Canada.  Would love to watch this, since Intergalactic Space Crusaders is like my favorite Star One song (and I didn't realize that "Star One" was also taken from Blake's 7)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1915 on: February 09, 2022, 07:08:40 AM »
Question about Reacher for anyone who read the books... Is he supposed to be on the spectrum or is he just beyond meticulous. The way he's being played in the show, he does have autistic tendencies.

I've read about 3/4 of the Reacher books and it's never mentioned.  He was in the army and one of their best MP's, so as someone above said - he is extremely meticulous when it comes to investigations.  Lee Child always described him as an "unstoppable force" - when he starts moving forward with investigating, he continues forward, regardless of who is in his path.  His conversations can make him seem a little autistic, but he does that on purpose a lot of times as a tactic, as it takes an adversary out of the fight or conversation a little when he starts talking about random things, or things he will do to them. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1916 on: February 09, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »

I've read about 3/4 of the Reacher books and it's never mentioned.  He was in the army and one of their best MP's, so as someone above said - he is extremely meticulous when it comes to investigations.  Lee Child always described him as an "unstoppable force" - when he starts moving forward with investigating, he continues forward, regardless of who is in his path.  His conversations can make him seem a little autistic, but he does that on purpose a lot of times as a tactic, as it takes an adversary out of the fight or conversation a little when he starts talking about random things, or things he will do to them.

This is my experience as well. I don't know about "3/4" because I haven't kept up with any new ones, but I've read, I guess, 4 or 5 of the novels, and it's not written as if he is explicitly on the spectrum.  That may be ultimately how he might be diagnosed, but the real focus of the books is that this is a guy who is in touch with himself and honest with himself, and knows he doesn't fit in with the house, car, 2.2 children fantasy of many.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1917 on: February 09, 2022, 08:24:37 AM »

Interesting question.  I'll say this.

I have read all of the books, and Ritchson portrays him on screen accurately regarding how he is portrayed in the books. 

The books never mention him as being on the spectrum, but of course I'm almost certain that the character has never been tested for anything like that.

During the first episode, my wife, who has never read any of the books, asked me if Reacher is on the spectrum.

That's all I've got.

I would say that he is definitely extremely focused and aware. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: February 09, 2022, 08:42:04 AM »
My wife has read most of the books, and works with autistic children. She has never mentioned it whenever we've talked about the series. I'll ask her about it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1919 on: February 09, 2022, 09:07:45 AM »

Interesting question.  I'll say this.

I have read all of the books, and Ritchson portrays him on screen accurately regarding how he is portrayed in the books. 

The books never mention him as being on the spectrum, but of course I'm almost certain that the character has never been tested for anything like that.

During the first episode, my wife, who has never read any of the books, asked me if Reacher is on the spectrum.

That's all I've got.

I would say that he is definitely extremely focused and aware.

Interesting..good to see I'm not the only one. I think for me its how the actor is portraying the character more than the character himself. I was just wondering.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1920 on: February 09, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »
My wife has read most of the books, and works with autistic children. She has never mentioned it whenever we've talked about the series. I'll ask her about it.
Autism on adults can be pretty different than on children though, mostly due to masking and sometimes successfully learning to read social cues and how to express yourself in neurotypical manner. It's also not a single spectrum, but a 5-dimensional one based on different aspects like sensitivity or routine and repetition.

I'm not familiar with the character so I can't tell, but it'd be cool if he was somewhat on the spectrum. Media mostly portrays us as annoying but super smart kids and I hate it :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1921 on: February 09, 2022, 10:14:44 AM »
Autism on adults can be pretty different than on children though, mostly due to masking and sometimes successfully learning to read social cues and how to express yourself in neurotypical manner. It's also not a single spectrum, but a 5-dimensional one based on different aspects like sensitivity or routine and repetition.

I'm not familiar with the character so I can't tell, but it'd be cool if he was somewhat on the spectrum. Media mostly portrays us as annoying but super smart kids and I hate it :P

Like that show with the doctor?   I can't even watch that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1922 on: February 09, 2022, 12:27:43 PM »

Not sure that narrows it down.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1923 on: February 09, 2022, 02:29:30 PM »

The autistic doctor.

The Good Doctor

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1924 on: February 09, 2022, 03:35:17 PM »

The autistic doctor.

The Good Doctor

I was thinking House or Bones or The Big Bang Theory (although neither Temperance Brennan nor Sheldon Cooper are autistic, I've seen people argue that they're "on the spectrum").  I've only seen a handful of House episodes and previews for The Good Doctor.