Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218747 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1855 on: February 01, 2022, 07:04:38 AM »

-Blake's 7 ..After being sucked in to both The Expanse and Sense8 over the last 2 months, my love of Scifi seems to be rekindled. I have always meant to see this show and just looked it up and found it available on Amazon Prime.

I've never heard of this but just the mention of it being in the same vein as Expanse/Sense8/12 Monkeys has me intrigued. Going to look into this one.

-12 Monkeys..similar to for the reasons with Blake's 7. I guess it's on both Amazon and Hulu, although Amazon is not free with your membership. The only thing I heard about it is, it ends without any resolution, which makes me a little wary about starting it knowing that. But people love it and I did enjoy the movie quite a bit.

Completely disagree with this assessment. Possibly one of the most well done endings of any show I've seen. It's a fantastic series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1856 on: February 01, 2022, 07:06:38 AM »
I'm one episode away from finishing, forever and ever, The Office.

I'm also watching:

- Derek, another Rick Gervais show about a nursery for elder people and the simpleton, but good willed, title character;
- Shadow and Bone, YA fantasy stuff;
- The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window, because after The Good Place I can't get enough of Kristen Bell  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1857 on: February 01, 2022, 07:20:45 AM »
If you have HBO, I cannot stress Station Eleven enough.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1858 on: February 01, 2022, 07:46:50 AM »
Binged seven episodes of Station Eleven so far. It's fantastic so far, I was really unsure what the show was about since I never read anything about it. I just saw some people say it's their best show of 2021 who saw in advance and was intrigued.

I love the jigsaw puzzle pattern of the show. It reminds me so much of The Leftovers in its tone and pace. The highlight for me by far (among several other things) is the editing of the series. The acting, the cinematography, the script are all great for sure but without that type of fulfilling editing, the show would have been an absolute borefest. Every episode so far has been captivating and I can see this being a real critic's favorite show.

I don't mind the arthouse indie type show if done well and this was done extremely well.  Hope to finish out the rest of the show soon.

YES!  You nailed it on that! I was wondering why it felt 'familiar' and it does have that hint of 'Leftovers'.....great insight. And I agree with what you stated about the editing. All the other facets are really well done but the editing is the key and how they've stitched it together.

I now understand why the show has such a "Leftovers" vibe, the showrunner/writer for Station Eleven was a writer for The Leftovers. He worked with Damon and team so makes sense some of that would carry over. Either way, I finished the show and cannot be more fulfilled. It was a very well done ending and fitting to the show. I wasn't bored for a single second in any of the episodes and really love it all. Music was also very well done and used in a similar vein to the Leftovers, just more 70s vibe than 80s. I think for me the most fun part of the show was that it wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be. Sure there were some depressing moments, but that didn't seem like the theme of the show, to be bleak and depressing just for the sake of it. There were still many positive things going around.

I'm particularly glad how they went with the finale, they kinda hinted in the beginning how it was going to go and I'm really glad in the end how it was subverted for the most part. It really makes me want to rewatch the whole show again. I did read there are some major differences between the book and show and might pick up the book at some point. Crazy to think how the book was released back in 2015 and while they were filming the show a real pandemic breaks out.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1859 on: February 01, 2022, 08:36:58 AM »
-12 Monkeys..similar to for the reasons with Blake's 7. I guess it's on both Amazon and Hulu, although Amazon is not free with your membership. The only thing I heard about it is, it ends without any resolution, which makes me a little wary about starting it knowing that. But people love it and I did enjoy the movie quite a bit.
That's not accurate.  12 Monkeys definitely has a resolution, and it was an awesome show as well.  Definitely recommend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: February 01, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »

I second this sentiment. HUGE fan of this show. So well done in all aspects.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1861 on: February 01, 2022, 12:51:22 PM »

I second this sentiment. HUGE fan of this show. So well done in all aspects.
I'm eager to watch that but I need to plow through Ozark first, i'm not great on following multiple shows at the same time.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1862 on: February 01, 2022, 04:34:10 PM »

-Blake's 7 ..After being sucked in to both The Expanse and Sense8 over the last 2 months, my love of Scifi seems to be rekindled. I have always meant to see this show and just looked it up and found it available on Amazon Prime.

I've never heard of this but just the mention of it being in the same vein as Expanse/Sense8/12 Monkeys has me intrigued. Going to look into this one.
I had never heard of this show either, but now I'm also intrigued. Going to give it a go.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1863 on: February 01, 2022, 11:39:40 PM »
I finished The Expanse last Friday night.

I could go in 1 of many directions next:
-Finishing Season 2 of Dead to Me (I watched the 1st 4 or 5 episodes back in 2020), with anticipation for the 3rd and Final season coming this year
-Going back to "Only Murders in the Building." I watched the 1st 2 episodes, but put the rest on hold with the hope my wife would also want to watch it. That remains to be seen
-Babylon 5..I am looking to rewatch this especially after learning of the Reboot/Reimagining that is in the works, and loving Sense8 which JMS was a co-creator of.

there's of course stuff like The Orville Season 3 and likely Better Call Saul Season 6 not too far away (+Stranger Things Season 4 and Westworld Season 4), but until a lot of those show up, the others above could be my focus.

The 12 Monkeys finale was excellent, IMO. It was a more than satisfying resolution.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1864 on: February 02, 2022, 02:04:55 AM »
Blakes 7 is probably a tough watch thesedays. It was a UK show which was pretty groundbreaking back when it was originally broadcast in the late 70's - but even then it had a tiny budget and cardboard effects (70's Doctor Who had better effects, to give you a indication of what to expect) I think anyone coming to the show with 2022 eyes would find it tough.  To be honest while the storylines were good for the time, I'm not sure how'd they'd hold up.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: February 02, 2022, 07:25:38 AM »
Blakes 7 is probably a tough watch thesedays. It was a UK show which was pretty groundbreaking back when it was originally broadcast in the late 70's - but even then it had a tiny budget and cardboard effects (70's Doctor Who had better effects, to give you a indication of what to expect) I think anyone coming to the show with 2022 eyes would find it tough.  To be honest while the storylines were good for the time, I'm not sure how'd they'd hold up.

For me to watch it I'd need to sign up for some other service.....I forgot what it was called....Brit Box?......anyway, it'd be another $7 a month to watch just a single show. I like shows like that but not enough to sign up for another service.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1866 on: February 02, 2022, 07:37:29 AM »
Hard pass for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1867 on: February 02, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »

For me to watch it I'd need to sign up for some other service.....I forgot what it was called....Brit Box?......anyway, it'd be another $7 a month to watch just a single show. I like shows like that but not enough to sign up for another service.

Here's the first episode - the quality isn't great, but that may help mask some of the effects.   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl1hEQdGk-Y

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1868 on: February 02, 2022, 12:51:41 PM »
Hard pass for me.
Same. Bad effects take me out of the show. Dodgy storylines and acting even moreso.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1869 on: February 03, 2022, 12:14:55 PM »
Just started watching Peacemaker.

LOL

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1870 on: February 03, 2022, 12:19:50 PM »

LOL

we binged it this weekend.  5 episodes so far.  What a fantastic show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: February 03, 2022, 12:26:14 PM »

LOL

Yeah....caught up on this one last night as well. Pretty freaking funny.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1872 on: February 03, 2022, 02:17:11 PM »
Peacemaker - absolutely loving this show.
Pam & Tommy - have watched first two episodes. The characterisations are spot on, really well done.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: February 03, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »
Finished the latest season of Cobra Kai last weekend
Should finish Book of Bobba Fett tonight
Starting Celebrity Big Brother tonight (premiered last night)
also rewatching season 1 of The Righteous Gemstones because the gf didn't see it so we can watch season 2 which is out now.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1874 on: February 04, 2022, 07:22:32 AM »
Just finished season 1 of Yellowjackets... can't recommend enough and can't wait for season 2.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1875 on: February 04, 2022, 07:36:13 AM »

LOL

The comedic chemistry between Peacemaker and Vigilante is untouchable. And Cena is a frikkin brilliant comedic actor in general.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1876 on: February 04, 2022, 08:11:38 AM »

LOL

The comedic chemistry between Peacemaker and Vigilante is untouchable. And Cena is a frikkin brilliant comedic actor in general.

Yeah last night's episode (6) was again directed by James Gunn and it was one of the best so far. Cena has been killing it so far. The classroom scene was pure gold.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1877 on: February 04, 2022, 06:43:52 PM »
Babylon 5 Reboot pushed back to 2023
https://www.patreon.com/posts/62084557

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1878 on: February 06, 2022, 04:44:30 AM »
Binged the new show Reacher on Prime over the weekend. For readers of the book series, THIS, not the Tom Cruise films, is the definitive adaptation. Very entertaining, and I highly recommend.

We also watched the first two episodes of Pam and Tommy. Again, very entertaining. We also saw 100% more of Tommy Lee's magical talking penis than we expected, so there's that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1879 on: February 06, 2022, 08:00:03 AM »
Just finished season 1 of Yellowjackets... can't recommend enough and can't wait for season 2.

I had a few people recommend that, so I started it. Three episodes in and not sure what to think.  Pretty strange, but I fear it will become of those shows that keeps teasing big reveals about the alluded-to secrets and never really tells us that much.  I hope I am wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1880 on: February 06, 2022, 10:37:12 AM »
Last year my best friend turned me onto Grizzly and the Lemmings.

I don’t always sit around and watch kids shows, but I have yet to see any modern day cartoons that truly captured the spirit and the hilarity of the old Wile E Coyote/Roadrunner cartoons until now.

If you’re in the mood for some innocent fun and want to feel like a kid on Saturday morning again, it’s on Netflix and I highly recommend it
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1881 on: February 06, 2022, 11:03:36 AM »
Watched Yellowjackets in a few days, really liked it. Was mostly intrigued by it since Lost is my all time favorite tv-show. I don't think this reaches quite those levels, but I was really entertained and I'm curious to see where it goes next.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1882 on: February 06, 2022, 05:03:45 PM »
Binged the new show Reacher on Prime over the weekend. For readers of the book series, THIS, not the Tom Cruise films, is the definitive adaptation. Very entertaining, and I highly recommend.

We also watched the first two episodes of Pam and Tommy. Again, very entertaining. We also saw 100% more of Tommy Lee's magical talking penis than we expected, so there's that.

Through 3 of the the episodes now on Reacher.  Loving it so far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1883 on: February 06, 2022, 05:38:09 PM »

Through 3 of the the episodes now on Reacher.  Loving it so far.

Watched first episode of Reacher last night and really enjoyed it. Good to hear that the high quality continues throughout the season. Looking forward to watching the remaining episodes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: February 06, 2022, 06:02:07 PM »
My wife and I have read all the books. She wants to splurge on Prime just to watch this. Haven't read any thoughts or opinions on it so nice to see a couple people are enjoying it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1885 on: February 06, 2022, 07:52:09 PM »
Yeah I plowed through the first episode before leaving for the DT show... Definitely promising

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1886 on: February 06, 2022, 09:55:59 PM »

Completely disagree with this assessment. Possibly one of the most well done endings of any show I've seen. It's a fantastic series.

Late to the party, but 12 Monkeys is one of the greatest Sci-Fi shows ever and the ending was beyond amazing. Not lying, but many publications called it one of the greatest finale's ever.

If you can find the thread here, you will see me and gmiller (and others) gushing over the finale. I've been considering a rewatch lately. It is a heck of an investment and just a work of art.

In short, watch it!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1887 on: February 07, 2022, 02:20:16 AM »
Finished The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window.

It's kinda weird. As if it wasn't clear from the title, it's a spoof / parody of all the mystery thrillers, but it has a weird feel - the title already tells you it's gonna take the piss on the genre, but it plays out way too serious. It leaves you confused about wether they want to be taken seriously after all, or not.

At least it has Kristen Bell who is always a plus.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1888 on: February 07, 2022, 07:55:48 AM »
Finished The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window.

It's kinda weird. As if it wasn't clear from the title, it's a spoof / parody of all the mystery thrillers, but it has a weird feel - the title already tells you it's gonna take the piss on the genre, but it plays out way too serious. It leaves you confused about wether they want to be taken seriously after all, or not.

At least it has Kristen Bell who is always a plus.

This....  I watched two episodes with my wife without knowing the title or that it was a parody, and it was perilously close to just being stupid.  I finally got it - the final episode makes it a lot clearer - but it was right on the line.  And yes, Kristen Bell is fabulous in that, from what I saw.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1889 on: February 07, 2022, 10:40:50 AM »

I got two and a half episodes into it over the weekend.  I've never read the books or seen the movies, but I thought it was really good.  After the first episode, I told my wife that the question I wanted answered most is why Roscoe is named Roscoe.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung