Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218660 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1820 on: January 20, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »
Posted this in the Netflix thread as well.

Archive 81 - This has been really interesting. It's a kind of 'found film' style show that is taking some cool twists and turns. I burned through 5 episodes last night.
Yea, really cool show. Haven't seen this kind of mystery/horror type of show in a while so it was a nice change of pace for me.

Finished it. Very neat show. The way it ended it seemed like it could go on for another 8 episodes OR just be over…..and I’m fine with either. If it gets a S2 I can certainly see why but if not then the ending fits in the vein of the way the story went.
I agree, I wouldn't be sad if they ended it this way but seeing it's netflix, if the ratings are good enough they milk it dry.

However it did feel like a second season was planned.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1821 on: January 20, 2022, 02:03:16 AM »
I'm one episode away from finishing season 1 of Space Force.

Brilliant and funny show with Steve Carrell and a show-stealing John Malkovich, a lot of supporting characters are good as well. I happened by chance on the credits and saw one of the writers is.... Paul Lebestein? did I spell it right? anyway, Toby from The Office, so there's a writer and a star from The Office, not that the two shows are similar but if you still can't get enough of Steve Carrell, this is definitively where to find him!

Other shows:

- Third season of After Life with Rick Gervais, another brilliant and bittersweet show about the protagonist (Rick himself, who also wrote the show) becoming a grumpy and uncaring asshole after the loss of his life (but of course things are not as they seem).

- Finished The Kominsky method, with Michael Douglas as an old ex actor running an acting school. Solid through and through, I would have never imagined that I could be invested this much in a show about old age!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1822 on: January 20, 2022, 08:36:45 AM »
We started watching The Wheel of Time on Prime.

We are four episodes in.  I think we are getting the gist of it.  It looks cool, I suppose, but I'm not getting any feel of "greatness" from it yet.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1823 on: January 20, 2022, 09:04:36 AM »
We started watching The Wheel of Time on Prime.

We are four episodes in.  I think we are getting the gist of it.  It looks cool, I suppose, but I'm not getting any feel of "greatness" from it yet.

I watched the first season. I liked and enjoyed it, BUT....as you mention.....it hasn't crossed into that early season GOT level and I'm not sure that it ever will. Cool story and all but I think it'll always hover at that 'good not great' level.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1824 on: January 21, 2022, 06:05:30 PM »
Starting Deadwood for the first time. Just finished my 3rd rewatch of Justified, and since it's getting a sequel, I'd see what Raylan Givens great great Grand Pappy was up to.

There are a lot of familiar faces in this show.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1825 on: January 22, 2022, 01:00:47 AM »
Not sure if we have any fans of How I Met Your Mother here.  I loved that show.  The first seven seasons were mostly gold.  It started going downhill with season 8, and season 9 might be the worst final season of any sitcom ever (capped off with an awful ending).

They have now produced a show called How I Met Your Father, and the first two episodes are now available on Hulu.  It's set in the same universe as HIMYM and follows the same basic concept (a parent telling his/her child(ren) how he/she met the other parent), but it's otherwise unrelated (i.e., this is NOT the story of how Tracy McConnell met Ted Mosby).  Hilary Duff (as the main character) is likable, and a few of the other main characters seem ok.  They didn't just put together a mirror image of the HIMYM main characters.  However, the casting and dialog was pandering and awkward.  We've got the white girl, the black guy, a Mexican girl, a gay Chinese girl, a white guy and an Indian guy (not entirely sure who the main characters are exactly).  It's as if someone just sat there with a checklist.  Also, I was pretty sure we were going to get a message at the end saying, "produced with major funding from Tinder."

Not so bad that I won't give it another chance or two, but not much more than that.
So I loved HIMYM! One of my favorite sitcoms of all time. I just watched the first episode of HIMYF and didn't laugh once. Oddly enough Hilary Duff's character was the only one that seemed somewhat realistic and likeable. The laugh track didn't help matters.....I know HIMYM had laugh track too, but here it seems even more forced. You know your show isn't funny when you have to insert canned laughter every 5 seconds. Might as well just have a sign pop up on screen every time they want you to laugh. I'll give it 1 more shot with the next episode, but the show is on super thin ice already.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1826 on: January 22, 2022, 07:41:35 PM »
Not sure if we have any fans of How I Met Your Mother here.  I loved that show.  The first seven seasons were mostly gold.  It started going downhill with season 8, and season 9 might be the worst final season of any sitcom ever (capped off with an awful ending).

They have now produced a show called How I Met Your Father, and the first two episodes are now available on Hulu.  It's set in the same universe as HIMYM and follows the same basic concept (a parent telling his/her child(ren) how he/she met the other parent), but it's otherwise unrelated (i.e., this is NOT the story of how Tracy McConnell met Ted Mosby).  Hilary Duff (as the main character) is likable, and a few of the other main characters seem ok.  They didn't just put together a mirror image of the HIMYM main characters.  However, the casting and dialog was pandering and awkward.  We've got the white girl, the black guy, a Mexican girl, a gay Chinese girl, a white guy and an Indian guy (not entirely sure who the main characters are exactly).  It's as if someone just sat there with a checklist.  Also, I was pretty sure we were going to get a message at the end saying, "produced with major funding from Tinder."

Not so bad that I won't give it another chance or two, but not much more than that.
So I loved HIMYM! One of my favorite sitcoms of all time. I just watched the first episode of HIMYF and didn't laugh once. Oddly enough Hilary Duff's character was the only one that seemed somewhat realistic and likeable. The laugh track didn't help matters.....I know HIMYM had laugh track too, but here it seems even more forced. You know your show isn't funny when you have to insert canned laughter every 5 seconds. Might as well just have a sign pop up on screen every time they want you to laugh. I'll give it 1 more shot with the next episode, but the show is on super thin ice already.

I think the second episode was better than the first, and (I think it's in the second) there's a cool nod to HIMYM.  I think the third episode may be out by now, so I'll look for it.  But yeah...thin ice.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1827 on: January 24, 2022, 07:18:20 AM »
Finished The Wheel of Time.  It was OK, I guess.  Good enough to check out season 2 when it comes out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1828 on: January 24, 2022, 09:08:59 PM »
Starting Station Eleven on a friend's recommendation. I'll keep you all posted.

Also, is Pennyworth worth digging into?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1829 on: January 24, 2022, 10:07:04 PM »
Ok, just pumped through two episodes of Station Eleven, and I'm fucking sold. Mackenzie Davis just pulled off a scene that was straight up exquisitely beautiful. I'm stunned.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1830 on: January 25, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »
Not to me.  I have no interest in what characters used to do before the main story.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1831 on: January 25, 2022, 07:10:43 AM »
Saw the first episode of Peacemaker and it’s excellent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1832 on: January 25, 2022, 07:12:41 AM »
Not to me.  I have no interest in what characters used to do before the main story.

I'm finding that is largely me.   I can't even count the number of franchises I really love - Batman, Star Wars, Marvel - that have lost me with the "fanning out" to backstories of characters whose backstories don't factor into the main canon.  I think Lord Of The Rings is starting down that path now, too.   God, we're such a needy, greedy culture in that way.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1833 on: January 25, 2022, 07:21:24 AM »

Definitely on my list as soon as I finish Station Eleven

Offline Adami

« Reply #1834 on: January 25, 2022, 07:22:44 AM »

I'm finding that is largely me.   I can't even count the number of franchises I really love - Batman, Star Wars, Marvel - that have lost me with the "fanning out" to backstories of characters whose backstories don't factor into the main canon.  I think Lord Of The Rings is starting down that path now, too.   God, we're such a needy, greedy culture in that way.

I get it if you're just talking about the people DEMANDING that every element of back story be filled in for everything, but you seemed to be implying that anyone who enjoys anything that doesn't directly factor into the main storyline is greedy and needy. I can't say I agree with that, or that it's a very nice way to approach those who simply like something you don't care for.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: January 25, 2022, 07:29:17 AM »

I get it if you're just talking about the people DEMANDING that every element of back story be filled in for everything, but you seemed to be implying that anyone who enjoys anything that doesn't directly factor into the main storyline is greedy and needy. I can't say I agree with that, or that it's a very nice way to approach those who simply like something you don't care for.

No, no, the impetus for that comment was really in the producers and creators.  I just wish there was less mining and rebooting and more original creation.  I have no problem if someone likes something, and wether I like it or not is irrelevant.  Except Radiohead.  But other than that, live and let live, I say (and yes, that applies to the producers and creators as well; if they feel they need to take the janitor from the Death Star and flesh out his/her backstory, so be it.  I'm probably going to pass, though.)

Online faizoff

« Reply #1836 on: January 25, 2022, 07:30:12 AM »

Definitely on my list as soon as I finish Station Eleven

Not sure if there was going to be a thread on this but caught the first 3 episodes of Peacemaker on HBOMax and they were hilarious and very much in line with the tone from the Suicide Squad movie. Though Jon Cena's character is a tad different. James Gunn sorta addressed that on his Twitter account by saying he's been through stuff (in the movie) which kinda changes him a bit.

Nevertheless, it has been great so far and am enjoying that way more than Boba Fett.

The show's intro alone should tell you the tone of the show loll

I made a mention of it on the previous page. I love the four episodes so far, if you're a fan of the movie it should be easy to say you'll love the show. James Gunn directed the first three episodes and has written four that I know. It's very entertaining and has the right mix of serious drama and hilarious comedy for a DC setting. It basically extends the movie's tone to the show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #1837 on: January 25, 2022, 07:33:58 AM »

No, no, the impetus for that comment was really in the producers and creators.  I just wish there was less mining and rebooting and more original creation.  I have no problem if someone likes something, and wether I like it or not is irrelevant.  Except Radiohead.  But other than that, live and let live, I say (and yes, that applies to the producers and creators as well; if they feel they need to take the janitor from the Death Star and flesh out his/her backstory, so be it.  I'm probably going to pass, though.)

Ah, I totally feel that. As a huge Marvel comics fan, I'm always happy for more of that (providing it's quality) even if it doesn't factor into a single unifying storyline.

But in general? Totally agree. Problem is, making movies these days is just about 100% about making money. Original content has a pretty low chance of making much money. IP, on the other hand, generally doesn't even have to be good to make a profit.

I'd love...LOVE....if the theaters (in a post-covid world) were flooded with completely original dramas, rom-coms, comedies, indie art films, etc. I'd be so thrilled. But they'd make virtually no money because people, these days, seem to care less and less.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1838 on: January 25, 2022, 08:04:25 AM »
But guys... Seriously... Check out Station Eleven.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1839 on: January 25, 2022, 08:07:45 AM »
Station Eleven is on my list, Mackenzie Davis was awesome in Halt and Catch Fire so no doubt she can nail any role that comes her way.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #1840 on: January 25, 2022, 08:09:58 AM »

I’m still on Station Nine. But I’ll get there!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1841 on: January 25, 2022, 09:00:09 AM »
I'm a few episodes into Yellowjacket and really enjoying it so far.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1842 on: January 25, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »

I’m still on Station Nine. But I’ll get there!

:zeltar:

:-*

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1843 on: January 25, 2022, 09:22:57 AM »
I'm a few episodes into Yellowjacket and really enjoying it so far.
There you go.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1844 on: January 25, 2022, 09:51:06 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:36:49 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1845 on: January 25, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
Halfway through the second episode of Peacemaker, and my gut hurts from laughing. Holy crap Cena is a fucking brilliant comedic actor.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1846 on: January 28, 2022, 11:20:42 PM »
On episode 5 of Station Eleven, this is really something special

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: January 29, 2022, 10:40:57 AM »
On episode 5 of Station Eleven, this is really something special

Such a good show. I adored it. It’s very well done and whoever picked that cast freaking nailed it. Ever actor in it is on point. I’m not talking about translating from the book…..I’ve not read the book…..I’m strictly speaking to doing an amazing job.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1848 on: January 29, 2022, 04:51:25 PM »
I'm late to the party but we just started Ted Lasso and I love it.

We needed something light to balance Ozark's darkness and it really fits the bill.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: January 30, 2022, 01:32:44 PM »
I'm late to the party but we just started Ted Lasso and I love it.

We needed something light to balance Ozark's darkness and it really fits the bill.

I'm just starting that too; I'm about halfway through the first season and I'm really liking it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1850 on: January 30, 2022, 02:14:26 PM »
Finished Station Eleven. Easy top five all time show for me. Just perfect in every way.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: January 30, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
Finished Station Eleven. Easy top five all time show for me. Just perfect in every way.

Beautiful show. So well done.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1852 on: January 31, 2022, 12:00:04 AM »
Binged seven episodes of Station Eleven so far. It's fantastic so far, I was really unsure what the show was about since I never read anything about it. I just saw some people say it's their best show of 2021 who saw in advance and was intrigued.

I love the jigsaw puzzle pattern of the show. It reminds me so much of The Leftovers in its tone and pace. The highlight for me by far (among several other things) is the editing of the series. The acting, the cinematography, the script are all great for sure but without that type of fulfilling editing, the show would have been an absolute borefest. Every episode so far has been captivating and I can see this being a real critic's favorite show.

I don't mind the arthouse indie type show if done well and this was done extremely well.  Hope to finish out the rest of the show soon.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: January 31, 2022, 06:50:15 AM »
Binged seven episodes of Station Eleven so far. It's fantastic so far, I was really unsure what the show was about since I never read anything about it. I just saw some people say it's their best show of 2021 who saw in advance and was intrigued.

I love the jigsaw puzzle pattern of the show. It reminds me so much of The Leftovers in its tone and pace. The highlight for me by far (among several other things) is the editing of the series. The acting, the cinematography, the script are all great for sure but without that type of fulfilling editing, the show would have been an absolute borefest. Every episode so far has been captivating and I can see this being a real critic's favorite show.

I don't mind the arthouse indie type show if done well and this was done extremely well.  Hope to finish out the rest of the show soon.

YES!  You nailed it on that! I was wondering why it felt 'familiar' and it does have that hint of 'Leftovers'.....great insight. And I agree with what you stated about the editing. All the other facets are really well done but the editing is the key and how they've stitched it together.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1854 on: February 01, 2022, 06:55:12 AM »
I finished The Expanse last Friday night.

I could go in 1 of many directions next:
-Finishing Season 2 of Dead to Me (I watched the 1st 4 or 5 episodes back in 2020), with anticipation for the 3rd and Final season coming this year
-Going back to "Only Murders in the Building." I watched the 1st 2 episodes, but put the rest on hold with the hope my wife would also want to watch it. That remains to be seen
-Blake's 7 ..After being sucked in to both The Expanse and Sense8 over the last 2 months, my love of Scifi seems to be rekindled. I have always meant to see this show and just looked it up and found it available on Amazon Prime.
-12 Monkeys..similar to for the reasons with Blake's 7. I guess it's on both Amazon and Hulu, although Amazon is not free with your membership. The only thing I heard about it is, it ends without any resolution, which makes me a little wary about starting it knowing that. But people love it and I did enjoy the movie quite a bit.
-Babylon 5..I am looking to rewatch this especially after learning of the Reboot/Reimagining that is in the works, and loving Sense8 which JMS was a co-creator of.

there's of course stuff like The Orville Season 3 and likely Better Call Saul Season 6 not too far away (+Stranger Things Season 4 and Westworld Season 4), but until a lot of those show up, the others above could be my focus.