Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218786 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1785 on: December 25, 2021, 03:11:28 PM »
'Christmas Vacation' as always.  I don't watch every single minute, but it never gets old.

Yep. It’s a ‘must’ this time of year. Still funny.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1786 on: December 27, 2021, 04:38:19 AM »
'Christmas Vacation' as always.  I don't watch every single minute, but it never gets old.

Yep. It’s a ‘must’ this time of year. Still funny.

I will never NOT watch it when it's on TV.

However, the jingle.family go-to Christmas movie is Elf.  Every Christmas Eve it's a family affair.  Of course, I should've posted that in the movie thread.

As for shows, I'm in the midst of Witcher S2, and saved a few more book adaptation shows to My List to check out - Shadow and Bone, and Cursed
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:44:32 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1787 on: December 27, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
Curious to hear your thoughts on S2 of the Witcher Chad.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1788 on: December 27, 2021, 04:13:41 PM »

I'm only 3 ep's in, but feel much like you (I think it was you?) already posted - it's moving relatively slowly, and setting up for Ciri to be more of a 'player'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1789 on: December 27, 2021, 05:29:30 PM »

I'm only 3 ep's in, but feel much like you (I think it was you?) already posted - it's moving relatively slowly, and setting up for Ciri to be more of a 'player'.

I forgot who,it was in that thread who mentioned that this portion of the story/book is extremely slow with most of it being character build. That, the show added some action where there was none.

Again…..not disappointed with the season at all……great character development and moving the story along……I just happened to watch it all in two days so it was over in a flash. I’d have loved 4 or 6 more episodes.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1790 on: December 29, 2021, 07:24:34 AM »
Started watching The Silent Sea, only watched one episode but it's seems promising. Korea keeps on delivering solid shows.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1791 on: December 29, 2021, 07:34:03 AM »
Finished Atypical, the last season.

Brilliant and lovely show, endearing through and through. Highly reccomended. The protagonist was stellar in portraying a teen with autism. Also the supporting cast was great. One of the best "little" shows on Netflix.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: December 29, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »
Finished Atypical, the last season.

Brilliant and lovely show, endearing through and through. Highly reccomended. The protagonist was stellar in portraying a teen with autism. Also the supporting cast was great. One of the best "little" shows on Netflix.

I dug this show as well but if you go to the thread we had for this show you'll see my opinions on the last season. The last season, for me, was a bit of a bore and let down as they deviated from making the show about the main character and tried to throw WAY too many things into the mix. Anyway....it was/is a cool show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1793 on: December 29, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
I hammered through the 5 available episodes of 'Station 11' on HBO Max last night. Very interesting show. It's being told in a pretty neat way....

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1794 on: January 01, 2022, 05:45:59 PM »
Started the new Yellowstone "prequel" show 1883 last night.

Holy shit, that was good!
Agree. Wow...yeah....who knew Faith Hill and Tim McGraw could act? I guess music videos are kind of like acting....and they help you be comfortable in front of a camera.

Seems McGraw has done some supporting acting in a few shows. But he's pretty good in a lead role....in what is essentially John Dutton's great grandfather? If I understand that correctly.

Sam Elliot is great, as is usual. He brings so much integrity to his roles.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 06:09:26 PM by crazy climber dude »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1795 on: January 03, 2022, 05:45:15 AM »
The Silent Sea, korean sci-fi show.

6 episodes out of 8 and it's very good, unless the ending is going to majorly suck, this is gonna be another great korean show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1796 on: January 03, 2022, 07:07:46 AM »
Started the new Yellowstone "prequel" show 1883 last night.

Holy shit, that was good!
Agree. Wow...yeah....who knew Faith Hill and Tim McGraw could act? I guess music videos are kind of like acting....and they help you be comfortable in front of a camera.

Seems McGraw has done some supporting acting in a few shows. But he's pretty good in a lead role....in what is essentially John Dutton's great grandfather? If I understand that correctly.

Sam Elliot is great, as is usual. He brings so much integrity to his roles.

Tim McGraw is a really good actor; Friday Night Lights, The Blind Side...

My wife and I started Yellowstone over the holidays; we've got two or three episodes left in Season Three and Season Four.  MAN, am I loving this.  There's literally not one character I really dislike... and by that, I mean I don't cringe when they come into a scene.  There are some I don't like because they are evil or bad in the show, but that's good television.   Well, that's not true; I don't like that "Roarke" guy - dude, get a haircut - and Monica can be annoying at times.  But for the most part, even the characters that are evil/foils are so good at it that my dislike is for their role, not for them.

Big fan of Rip, LOVE Beth, and Kevin Costner is just money whenever he's on the screen.  Hell, honest to God, I even like Tate and generally I HATE children actors.  But that kid is good!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1797 on: January 03, 2022, 10:55:44 AM »
I'm in the middle of Dopesick, starring Michael Keaton, about the battle against OxyContin, the FDA, Purdue Pharmaceuticals and the Sackler Family. 

Great stuff so far.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1798 on: January 14, 2022, 06:48:50 AM »
I hammered through the 5 available episodes of 'Station 11' on HBO Max last night. Very interesting show. It's being told in a pretty neat way....

Station 11 finale was yesterday. Man.....I really enjoyed that show. It was told and portrayed in just enough different of a way that it was intriguing yet it wasn't confusing. Great acting and I thought the storylines were pretty powerful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1799 on: January 14, 2022, 06:58:21 AM »
Finished the four seasons of Yellowstone, and now the wait begins (for season five).  What a great show.  Interesting to watch some characters really grow and evolve, in a meaningful way, and watch others simply plow the same ground over and over and over...  and then realize that some of them ARE growing while plowing the same ground (Rip and Beth come to mind) while others are bouncing around from thing to thing and not growing even a little bit (Jamie). 

I had an epiphany the other night; one of the story lines has Jimmy being told that "being a cowboy is like performing art but no one is watching", and it dawned on me that perhaps the biggest - or should I say "truest" - cowboy on the show is Beth.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1800 on: January 14, 2022, 08:35:59 AM »
Finished the four seasons of Yellowstone, and now the wait begins (for season five).  What a great show.  Interesting to watch some characters really grow and evolve, in a meaningful way, and watch others simply plow the same ground over and over and over...  and then realize that some of them ARE growing while plowing the same ground (Rip and Beth come to mind) while others are bouncing around from thing to thing and not growing even a little bit (Jamie). 

I had an epiphany the other night; one of the story lines has Jimmy being told that "being a cowboy is like performing art but no one is watching", and it dawned on me that perhaps the biggest - or should I say "truest" - cowboy on the show is Beth.
Interesting take.

I maintain that Beth is my least favorite character on the show, although I still like her quite a bit.  Which goes to the overall quality of writing, directing, and acting involved.

The wife and I finally finished our rewatch of ER last night.  15 seasons, most of which were at least very good, and frequently excellent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1801 on: January 14, 2022, 01:01:01 PM »

Interesting take.

I maintain that Beth is my least favorite character on the show, although I still like her quite a bit.  Which goes to the overall quality of writing, directing, and acting involved.

There are almost always shows I have a character or two I really dislike.  I'm with you; not so with Yellowstone; I like Jamie least, and yet his story line is so compelling.

The wife and I finally finished our rewatch of ER last night.  15 seasons, most of which were at least very good, and frequently excellent.

What was your favorite 'period'?   Liked the original period; Sherry Stringfield, Tony Edwards... and I liked the last iteration, with John Stamos.   There was a period in between where I lost the plot a bit.   Always a quality show.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1802 on: January 15, 2022, 03:44:01 PM »
Are you afraid of the dark from the 90's

Loving this nostalgia trip

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1803 on: January 18, 2022, 02:55:38 PM »
Not sure if we have any fans of How I Met Your Mother here.  I loved that show.  The first seven seasons were mostly gold.  It started going downhill with season 8, and season 9 might be the worst final season of any sitcom ever (capped off with an awful ending).

They have now produced a show called How I Met Your Father, and the first two episodes are now available on Hulu.  It's set in the same universe as HIMYM and follows the same basic concept (a parent telling his/her child(ren) how he/she met the other parent), but it's otherwise unrelated (i.e., this is NOT the story of how Tracy McConnell met Ted Mosby).  Hilary Duff (as the main character) is likable, and a few of the other main characters seem ok.  They didn't just put together a mirror image of the HIMYM main characters.  However, the casting and dialog was pandering and awkward.  We've got the white girl, the black guy, a Mexican girl, a gay Chinese girl, a white guy and an Indian guy (not entirely sure who the main characters are exactly).  It's as if someone just sat there with a checklist.  Also, I was pretty sure we were going to get a message at the end saying, "produced with major funding from Tinder."

Not so bad that I won't give it another chance or two, but not much more than that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1804 on: January 19, 2022, 01:13:19 AM »
Not sure if we have any fans of How I Met Your Mother here.  I loved that show.  The first seven seasons were mostly gold.  It started going downhill with season 8, and season 9 might be the worst final season of any sitcom ever (capped off with an awful ending).

I kinda agree, the show was wonderful and funny, and while it was bold to stick to an ending they planned since the beginning (to the point that they filmed it back in season 1 when the kids were still kids and not 9 years older), they should have realized that after all that time invested in the characters, the ending wouldn't work.

I mean, spoiler for anyone who still haven't seen the series...

End of the first episode: "See? she's Aunt Robin! this is not gonna be like Friends, a Will they Won't they situation, she's not gonna be the one"
End of the last episode nine years and 785 episodes later: "Hahahah totally kidding, Robin was the one".

Geez.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1805 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »

What was your favorite 'period'?   Liked the original period; Sherry Stringfield, Tony Edwards... and I liked the last iteration, with John Stamos.   There was a period in between where I lost the plot a bit.   Always a quality show.
The best for me was from about season 2 to about season 10 or so.  I thought the last 2 seasons (with Stamos) were a little more "soap-opera" than they needed to be.

There was a period in the middle there where Kovac and then Carter spent time in Africa, and those episodes stretched my patience, because they took away from what was happening in the ER.  But other than those particular episodes, I still liked that period.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1806 on: January 19, 2022, 09:16:46 AM »
Not sure if there was going to be a thread on this but caught the first 3 episodes of Peacemaker on HBOMax and they were hilarious and very much in line with the tone from the Suicide Squad movie. Though Jon Cena's character is a tad different. James Gunn sorta addressed that on his Twitter account by saying he's been through stuff (in the movie) which kinda changes him a bit.

Nevertheless, it has been great so far and am enjoying that way more than Boba Fett.

The show's intro alone should tell you the tone of the show loll
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1807 on: January 19, 2022, 10:03:02 AM »

I kinda agree, the show was wonderful and funny, and while it was bold to stick to an ending they planned since the beginning (to the point that they filmed it back in season 1 when the kids were still kids and not 9 years older), they should have realized that after all that time invested in the characters, the ending wouldn't work.

End of the first episode: "See? she's Aunt Robin! this is not gonna be like Friends, a Will they Won't they situation, she's not gonna be the one"
End of the last episode nine years and 785 episodes later: "Hahahah totally kidding, Robin was the one".

Geez.

There's an alternate ending that is, IMO, so much better. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1808 on: January 19, 2022, 11:52:22 AM »
Posted this in the Netflix thread as well.

Archive 81 - This has been really interesting. It's a kind of 'found film' style show that is taking some cool twists and turns. I burned through 5 episodes last night.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1809 on: January 19, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »

Geez.

There's an alternate ending that is, IMO, so much better.

Agree.  It is MUCH better.  Two things that ticked me off.  First, with the notable exception of the "How Your Mother Met Me" episode (one of the best of the series, IMO), season 9 was awful.  Having the entire season focus on a single weekend leading up to Barney and Robin's wedding was stupid.  This wasn't 24, and it seemed like they were struggling to come up with things to occupy the run time.  Second, they spent the entire first eight seasons telling us just how wrong Ted and Robin were for each other only to shit all over that premise at the end.  "Hey dad, it didn't work all those other times, but now your much older, so give it another shot."  In retrospect, they should rename the show How I Met Your Mother, All the While Pining over Another Woman Whom I'll Pursue after Your Mother Dies.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1810 on: January 19, 2022, 12:21:15 PM »
Get Back (finished)
The Book of Boba Fett
Lost girl (about to finish)

About to start:

Banshee
What we do in the shadows

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1811 on: January 19, 2022, 01:31:54 PM »

Archive 81 - This has been really interesting. It's a kind of 'found film' style show that is taking some cool twists and turns. I burned through 5 episodes last night.
Yea, really cool show. Haven't seen this kind of mystery/horror type of show in a while so it was a nice change of pace for me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1812 on: January 19, 2022, 03:39:19 PM »
Anybody watch the 1st season of "Raised By Wolves?"  I saw the season 2 trailer and it piqued my interest.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1813 on: January 19, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »
Anybody watch the 1st season of "Raised By Wolves?"  I saw the season 2 trailer and it piqued my interest.

My girl watched it. I saw a few episodes and did not like it much at all. She, I think, finished it out of a desire to see what happened but also did not speak too highly of it and doesn't seem interested in a second season.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: January 19, 2022, 04:02:00 PM »

My girl watched it. I saw a few episodes and did not like it much at all. She, I think, finished it out of a desire to see what happened but also did not speak too highly of it and doesn't seem interested in a second season.

I watched it and dig it. Looking forward to S2.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1815 on: January 19, 2022, 04:29:00 PM »

I watched it and dig it. Looking forward to S2.

Me too!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1816 on: January 19, 2022, 04:30:11 PM »
Bastards the lot of ye!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1817 on: January 19, 2022, 04:39:18 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1818 on: January 19, 2022, 04:39:30 PM »
This is like those reviews you read about a movie that are mixed so you've got to watch and make up your mind yourself. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: January 19, 2022, 09:49:15 PM »

Yea, really cool show. Haven't seen this kind of mystery/horror type of show in a while so it was a nice change of pace for me.

Finished it. Very neat show. The way it ended it seemed like it could go on for another 8 episodes OR just be over…..and I’m fine with either. If it gets a S2 I can certainly see why but if not then the ending fits in the vein of the way the story went.