Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 213095 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1715 on: October 23, 2021, 05:29:55 PM »
Invasion, without spoiling anything or hyping it too much after watching the first episode this could be something really interesting. Already loing how mysterious it seems.  :tup

Watched the first three episodes they were available last night. Really interesting and well done. Going to be a legit series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1716 on: October 24, 2021, 04:53:45 AM »
Invasion, without spoiling anything or hyping it too much after watching the first episode this could be something really interesting. Already loing how mysterious it seems.  :tup

Watched the first three episodes they were available last night. Really interesting and well done. Going to be a legit series.
Nice, I missed that there were 2 more episodes availble. Just saw them. :tup I love how they follow people all over the world during the events.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: October 24, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »

Nice, I missed that there were 2 more episodes availble. Just saw them. :tup I love how they follow people all over the world during the events.

Yeah…..it’s a pretty cool storytelling method. And, the individual stories all have content that is compelling enough to immediately get invested into the characters.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1718 on: October 25, 2021, 07:30:25 AM »
I don't know if this is the place to make this observation, but so depressing to watch TV shows - especially network TV - over time.  I'm not sure I can name a show that hasn't completely homogenized itself after an initial run.  I'm currently watching Bull, a show I watched because I like Michael Weatherly and I like Dr. Phil (on whom Dr. Bull is based), but we're at season 6 now, and it's turning into a rote procedural. The characters are all stock: you've got the amazing computer wizard who is moral and ethical... when it suits them, you've got all the diversity boxes checked...    But timelines are whack; Chuck (the EXCELLENT Christopher Jackson) passed the bar like a week ago and now he's the lead lawyer on every case that comes in the house.  Bull is a hard-driving, hard-drinking womanizer, and BAM! he gets his ex-wife pregnant and now they're a happy, wholesome family with zero communication issues whatsoever....  I don't know; I keep watching, so maybe that's the problem, but it's so depressing at times.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1719 on: October 25, 2021, 09:53:01 AM »
Anyone watching La Brea (on NBC, I think)?  I've watched the first four episodes.  Not bad, but I'm not sure if I'm fully hooked.  I never watched Lost, but this feels like it follows what I think is the formula from that show and also has a similar feel to Manifest, which I gave up on after 8 or 10 episodes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: October 25, 2021, 11:09:15 AM »
Anyone watching La Brea (on NBC, I think)?  I've watched the first four episodes.  Not bad, but I'm not sure if I'm fully hooked.  I never watched Lost, but this feels like it follows what I think is the formula from that show and also has a similar feel to Manifest, which I gave up on after 8 or 10 episodes.

HA!  I haven't watched it yet, but from the commercials, I got the same vibe.  Catastrophic event happens, weird shit happens, and the (endless) debate between dream, chance, fate and/or the presence of God ensues.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1721 on: October 25, 2021, 03:04:31 PM »

HA!  I haven't watched it yet, but from the commercials, I got the same vibe.  Catastrophic event happens, weird shit happens, and the (endless) debate between dream, chance, fate and/or the presence of God ensues.   

So far (4 episodes), they've done a pretty decent job with NOT "hiding the ball" in the way that Manifest did (which annoyed me).  All of the main characters figured out fairly quickly what was going on.  I'm wondering how they're going to sustain a show for multiple seasons or if they'll pull some big switcheroo at some point.  But so far, not bad.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: October 25, 2021, 03:06:21 PM »
Finished The White Lotus over the weekend, really enjoyed that one.  Pretty funny with it's dry humor but also an interesting story.  Ending was a bit of a letdown, but still had me wondering who was going to be the dead one until the end.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1723 on: October 25, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »
I've started Tales from the loop. Not impressed with 1st episode...

Watching Doom Patrol. Love this show!
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: October 25, 2021, 06:00:21 PM »
I've started Tales from the loop. Not impressed with 1st episode...

I dug the season but it definitely has a certain pacing about it that is unlike most other series. I did like the stories though.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1725 on: October 25, 2021, 08:23:53 PM »
I don't know if this is the place to make this observation, but so depressing to watch TV shows - especially network TV - over time.  I'm not sure I can name a show that hasn't completely homogenized itself after an initial run.  I'm currently watching Bull, a show I watched because I like Michael Weatherly and I like Dr. Phil (on whom Dr. Bull is based), but we're at season 6 now, and it's turning into a rote procedural. The characters are all stock: you've got the amazing computer wizard who is moral and ethical... when it suits them, you've got all the diversity boxes checked...    But timelines are whack; Chuck (the EXCELLENT Christopher Jackson) passed the bar like a week ago and now he's the lead lawyer on every case that comes in the house.  Bull is a hard-driving, hard-drinking womanizer, and BAM! he gets his ex-wife pregnant and now they're a happy, wholesome family with zero communication issues whatsoever....  I don't know; I keep watching, so maybe that's the problem, but it's so depressing at times.

Network TV is the worst. One in a while you’ll get a show with some originality, but most of the shows are so formulaic.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1726 on: October 25, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »

So far (4 episodes), they've done a pretty decent job with NOT "hiding the ball" in the way that Manifest did (which annoyed me).  All of the main characters figured out fairly quickly what was going on.  I'm wondering how they're going to sustain a show for multiple seasons or if they'll pull some big switcheroo at some point.  But so far, not bad.

I watched the first two episodes and wasn’t overly impressed, though I do like this type of show. Not sure if I will keep watching.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1727 on: October 26, 2021, 03:51:06 PM »
Finished The White Lotus over the weekend, really enjoyed that one.  Pretty funny with it's dry humor but also an interesting story.  Ending was a bit of a letdown, but still had me wondering who was going to be the dead one until the end.

Yeah, I rather enjoyed that.  I found it visually beautiful.  The money shot in the last episode was  :o

I read a lot of criticism after I finished it about how "white" it truly was.  And I do wish they had delved into the characters of color more:  Belinda, Paula, Kai.  I thought the actor (Fred Hechinger) who played the kid on the spectrum (Quinn) was just amazing.  He was also in The Underground Railroad.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1728 on: October 26, 2021, 05:01:58 PM »
If you think about it, they're broadcasting to a captive audience. The networks mostly cater to people who can't afford streaming or decent cable stations. They've got American Idle and all of the variations on that theme, and then they've got their own series that don't have to be anything but inoffensive. The only rule they have to follow is don't give the advertisers any reason to be upset.  If they do want to push the envelope with some creative programming they'll send it to their own streaming platform.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1729 on: November 07, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »
I'm really loving Invasion! :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: November 07, 2021, 11:14:43 PM »
I'm really loving Invasion! :tup

Same! Dig it a ton!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1731 on: November 08, 2021, 01:58:32 AM »
I went with Netflix again! my starting lineup:

Season 5 of Superstore (previously only on Prime Video)
Season 8 of The Office (previously only on Prime Video)
Season 3 of You
Squid Game
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1732 on: November 08, 2021, 08:36:07 AM »
New season of Yellowstone started last night.

Explosive, to say the least.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: November 08, 2021, 10:20:15 AM »

I guess I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this show. It seems like a lot of people like it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1734 on: November 08, 2021, 12:29:30 PM »

I guess I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this show. It seems like a lot of people like it.
It's enjoyable.  Helps if you like Costner, obviously.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: November 08, 2021, 01:58:56 PM »

It's enjoyable.  Helps if you like Costner, obviously.

He's one of my all time favorites....so yeah, I'd probably enjoy it. I just know that I'm well behind and that there are several seasons of episodes out there and I know how I get when I start a new show. Trying to gauge at what point in time do I not want to sleep for a couple weeks.  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1736 on: November 08, 2021, 02:44:12 PM »
Youtube sent me down a rabbit hole of old Rescue 911 episodes  :lol

Just some random thoughts.

1. Man, does this thing have the late 80's early 90's vibe, lol.

2. I should not have been watching this as a little kid.

3. Totally somehow didn't realize that william shatner was the host  :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1737 on: November 09, 2021, 02:23:00 AM »
I've started 'It's only Sunny in Philly'.  Confession I'm not a huge fan of American Sit-Coms, so far (midway though Series 2) it's OK - I'm not loving it, but it's amusing at times.  I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1738 on: November 09, 2021, 04:40:16 AM »
I've started 'It's only Sunny in Philly'.  Confession I'm not a huge fan of American Sit-Coms, so far (midway though Series 2) it's OK - I'm not loving it, but it's amusing at times.  I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer.
I never watched a whole episode of IASIP but i've watch probably every scene on YT and it's just brilliant and hilarious, especially the bloopers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: November 09, 2021, 07:27:58 AM »
I've been catching up on some of the network shows I've recorded on DVR.   One of those is the Law and Order franchise.  Both the SVU and the new Organized Crime variants are really strong this year.  Christopher Meloni is an amazing actor; Mariska Hargitay - usually not my favorite - is really knocking it out of the park.  I'm not big at all on the "did they or didn't they?" romantic side of these shows, but they are really playing the Elliot and Olivia thing just right, and even though he's a tool and she's hot AF, I'm not even all that buzzed about Rollins and Carisi hooking up.  She's light years out of his league, but they're a fairly likable pair.

The actors they have in portraying the Albanian mob are all excellent - Michael Raymond-James, Vinnie Jones, the dude playing the idiot Reggie, Lolita Davidovich (looking fantastic at 60+) - and rather  believable.  Too often these characters are one-dimensional; these are, don't get me wrong, but they are believably so. 

Really digging it; we've watched I think the first five or so episodes of both series (they cross over a fair amount; Meloni has appeared in about half the SVU episodes, and Hargitay has appeared in about half the OC episodes) and I'm almost upset now I have to wait week to week.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1740 on: November 09, 2021, 09:55:48 AM »
My wife and I watched the original Law & Order religiously for years.  I think we stopped a few seasons shy of the end.  Never really got too deep into the spinoffs.  SUV always seemed a bit icky.  I didn't know there was an organized crime spinoff.  I vaguely recall watching 1-2 episodes of Criminal Intent but thought it was rather boring.  A couple years ago, I happened upon Law & Order: UK and watched a few episodes.  Wasn't too bad, and I may still go back and pick up where I left off.

My kid took her high school's criminal law class last year, and the teacher used SUV as a teaching tool.  My kid is a fan of John Mullaney, and he does a bit about how amusing it is, in concept, to have Ice Tea solving sex crimes.  The kid really liked the class and the teacher -- fortunately not so much as to make her want to be a lawyer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1741 on: November 09, 2021, 12:43:30 PM »
I've been catching up on some of the network shows I've recorded on DVR.   One of those is the Law and Order franchise.  Both the SVU and the new Organized Crime variants are really strong this year.  Christopher Meloni is an amazing actor; Mariska Hargitay - usually not my favorite - is really knocking it out of the park.  I'm not big at all on the "did they or didn't they?" romantic side of these shows, but they are really playing the Elliot and Olivia thing just right, and even though he's a tool and she's hot AF, I'm not even all that buzzed about Rollins and Carisi hooking up.  She's light years out of his league, but they're a fairly likable pair.

The actors they have in portraying the Albanian mob are all excellent - Michael Raymond-James, Vinnie Jones, the dude playing the idiot Reggie, Lolita Davidovich (looking fantastic at 60+) - and rather  believable.  Too often these characters are one-dimensional; these are, don't get me wrong, but they are believably so. 

Really digging it; we've watched I think the first five or so episodes of both series (they cross over a fair amount; Meloni has appeared in about half the SVU episodes, and Hargitay has appeared in about half the OC episodes) and I'm almost upset now I have to wait week to week.
Glad you are enjoying them.

I stopped watching SVU shortly after Meloni left, because I don't like Hargitay's character of Olivia very much at all.  I dipped my toe back in when Meloni's new show started, but I wasn't feeling it anymore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1742 on: November 09, 2021, 12:44:24 PM »
It had been so long since I'd seen it that I didn't remember that Carl Reiner had directed it, which honestly blows my mind.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: November 09, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »

I stopped watching SVU shortly after Meloni left, because I don't like Hargitay's character of Olivia very much at all.  I dipped my toe back in when Meloni's new show started, but I wasn't feeling it anymore.

Just offering this out  there:   the first season of L&O:Organized Crime was an arc, covering the death of Stabler's wife, and a criminal enterprise headed up by Dylan McDermott (or is it Dermott Mulroney?).  The second is an arc, but a different one.  THe second season is WAYYYY better than the first.  I like Dylan McDermott Mulroney, but he SOOO over-acted that entire season it was a little distracting.  The acting is so much better in the second season.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1744 on: November 09, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »
a criminal enterprise headed up by Dylan McDermott (or is it Dermott Mulroney?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqSn5Cnw74

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1745 on: November 09, 2021, 02:21:54 PM »

Just offering this out  there:   the first season of L&O:Organized Crime was an arc, covering the death of Stabler's wife, and a criminal enterprise headed up by Dylan McDermott (or is it Dermott Mulroney?).  The second is an arc, but a different one.  THe second season is WAYYYY better than the first.  I like Dylan McDermott Mulroney, but he SOOO over-acted that entire season it was a little distracting.  The acting is so much better in the second season.
Cool.  Maybe I'll give it another try.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1746 on: November 09, 2021, 04:21:20 PM »
Season 2 is also much darker.  I as well am enjoying it more than Season one.  Right there with you Stads.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1747 on: November 10, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »
Don't gang up on me lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1748 on: November 10, 2021, 09:54:40 AM »
*Body Blow!  Body Blow!*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: November 10, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »