Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218454 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1470 on: May 25, 2021, 07:50:47 AM »
Finished The Good Place.

There is some really good writing on that show, and I think they handled the ending as well as they could, given the theme of the show.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1471 on: May 25, 2021, 07:53:35 AM »
Finished The Good Place.

There is some really good writing on that show, and I think they handled the ending as well as they could, given the theme of the show.

One of the greatest shows ever seen on TV.  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1472 on: May 25, 2021, 08:37:49 AM »
Finished The Good Place.

I recently wrapped up this one too (though I had watched the first three seasons probably half a dozen times).

Easily one of the best shows in recent memory. An absolute gem.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:43:35 AM by Chino »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1473 on: May 25, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »
Agree that is one of the best shows I've seen in recently.

I will say that the acting by D'arcy Carden (Janet) was amazing. Specially the episode where she played all main characters.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1474 on: May 25, 2021, 09:48:23 AM »
I will forever think of her as Janet. Can't imagine for the next few years seeing her in something and not go "Hi Janet!".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1475 on: May 25, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »

I will say that the acting by D'arcy Carden (Janet) was amazing. Specially the episode where she played all main characters.

Not a she :neverusethis:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1476 on: May 25, 2021, 11:02:13 AM »

HAHA!   

"Pfffffffffffffftttttttttt!"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1477 on: May 25, 2021, 11:21:47 AM »
Finished the last season of Silicon Valley. Man, what a ride.

The first season will always be, to me, one of the best opening seasons of TV ever, so funny, so witty, and an absolutely faithful portrait of the technology world. I'm no longer in it but I started as a programmer after tech school and I'm definitively "in" all the jokes.

I saw the last season after quite some time since season 5, and coming back to it after so long the modus operandi was clearer than ever: the gang has success at hand, someone screws up and ruins everything, but in the face of impending doom caused by a problem turns out there's a solution to turn things right again. Rinse and repeat. So the gimmick was running short, but they still managed to bring the series to a satisfying and emotional end, with a lot of black humor and kicking our favorite tech heroes one last time.

Brilliant ending for a brilliant series. I rememeber in high school I did good all year in maths, always getting an 8 (out of 10), and as final evaluation for the year, as a reward the teacher gave me a 9. I never got a 9, I was mostly at 8, but the 9 was the reward for being costantly good all year.

So I will give to the whole Silicon Valley series a loud 10. It was not always THAT perfect, but in the overall run of the series, the laughs were so many and they deserve full praise, even if the random episode or the occasional storyline were not always that convincing. I will always be fond of this series and it never lost quality that much, so it's gonna enter my hall of fame of TV shows. It was the right time to end it but I will miss these guys.

Agreed on all fronts. It's a shame TJ Miller turned into a full-on douche and couldn't finish out the show, but I'm glad it didn't go down with him. As you said, season one was one of the best firsts seasons of any show I can think of, and he was a huge part of that.

I really enjoyed the final season as well, and I like how Gilfoyle and Dinesh never ended up separating  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1478 on: May 25, 2021, 03:07:27 PM »
Gilfoyle and Dinesh are the best bro frenemies of TV  :lol there was an episode where for whatever reason they realized they were each other's best friend, and that thing shocked them  :lol

I like also how in the last episode Richard inherited from Gavin Belson his trademark "FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU" when things went wrong. and Jared is MVP and a treasure for life, every time he was dropping an unsettling detail about his life the head-scratching LOLs were assured.

I agree that TJ Miller was a big part of the show but luckily the rest of the gang held together the show until the end. It's gonna be fun down the line to do a full rewatch.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: May 25, 2021, 08:36:58 PM »
.... I was already a fan of The Operations Room....

Not following this thread because I don't watch TV, but checked out that clip... I bookmarked this channel for later viewing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1480 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »

The first season will always be, to me, one of the best opening seasons of TV ever, so funny, so witty, and an absolutely faithful portrait of the technology world. I'm no longer in it but I started as a programmer after tech school and I'm definitively "in" all the jokes.

I saw the last season after quite some time since season 5, and coming back to it after so long the modus operandi was clearer than ever: the gang has success at hand, someone screws up and ruins everything, but in the face of impending doom caused by a problem turns out there's a solution to turn things right again. Rinse and repeat. So the gimmick was running short, but they still managed to bring the series to a satisfying and emotional end, with a lot of black humor and kicking our favorite tech heroes one last time.

Brilliant ending for a brilliant series. I rememeber in high school I did good all year in maths, always getting an 8 (out of 10), and as final evaluation for the year, as a reward the teacher gave me a 9. I never got a 9, I was mostly at 8, but the 9 was the reward for being costantly good all year.

So I will give to the whole Silicon Valley series a loud 10. It was not always THAT perfect, but in the overall run of the series, the laughs were so many and they deserve full praise, even if the random episode or the occasional storyline were not always that convincing. I will always be fond of this series and it never lost quality that much, so it's gonna enter my hall of fame of TV shows. It was the right time to end it but I will miss these guys.
The season 1 finale is the single funniest episode of TV I have ever seen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1481 on: May 27, 2021, 04:57:55 AM »

:clap:  a stupid fucking bitch.

Season finale of This is Us was laced with a few heart wrenching moments and big surprises (as usual)  S6 will be the last one, and the show runner did an interview outlining at a high level what the plan is. Looking forward to it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1482 on: May 27, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
I was ROCKED by that ending.  So, we know that Toby doesn't die (he was in the Season three flash-forward, albeit with no ring on his finger) and we know he suffers from issues when he goes off his meds (another flash-forward where he's confined to bed), so there are lots of questions there.  Kevin and Madison being all lovey-dovey chummy chummy in the flash-forward invites questions too.    Radical prediction:  Nicky and Rebecca get together; in the season five finale, Nicky is running down the hallway worried about "the wife", and in the season three flash-forward, he was the only one sitting at Rebecca's bedside when Randall walks in and "introduces" himself.  I don't recall Miguel being in that scene (though I could be wrong about that).

That, and NCIS too.  I'm not one that gets all wrapped up in the personal lives of the characters in shows like NCIS, FBI and Law and Order, but I wanted Torres and Bishop to bone so bad (that's an inside joke with my wife, not me being a pig for no reason).  And they acknowledged an "us", and she kissed him, but that's where it ends (Emily Whataburger is leaving the show).   I'm guessing that Katrina Law is going to take her place, which at least from an eye-candy perspective, is a wonderful thing (not much of an actress, though).   The real question there is Gibbs.  Minor gripe:  we saw him build that fucking boat for 15 seasons, with countless jokes about "how are you going to get it out of this basement", and even an episode with a boat in a jar, heavily implying that it was NEVER MEANT to leave the basement, then "snap!" he's in a lake with a goofy grin on his face running the boat at full throttle!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:34:27 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1483 on: May 27, 2021, 09:22:23 AM »
For those of you (maybe just one of you) watching The Rookie, what did you think of the season finale?  I didn't so much mind that La Fiera kidnapped Angela, but the amount of security devoted to La Fiera's transfer was ridiculous.  No way they'd only have the two uniforms in the SUV with her.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: May 27, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »

For those of you (maybe just one of you) watching The Rookie, what did you think of the season finale?  I didn't so much mind that La Fiera kidnapped Angela, but the amount of security devoted to La Fiera's transfer was ridiculous.  No way they'd only have the two uniforms in the SUV with her.

I watch The Rookie, but my wife finds it too tense, so I am way behind on the season.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1485 on: May 28, 2021, 12:23:36 AM »
We've been watching Superstore over the last couple of months and have just started S6. Have thoroughly enjoyed it. As with most things, the characters have fleshed out really well over time.

It does feel like they based the approach on B99 (random silliness sandwiched with real issues) but it's really worked for me. (It's not as good as Brooklyn Nine Nine OBVS - that show is one of my all time favourites)

Also, I see the Good Place mentioned above. Brilliant show. Janet is lovely. And Derek. "Oof, right in the Dereks!"
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1486 on: May 28, 2021, 12:35:08 AM »

For me Gavin Belson made that show. His outbursts was hilarious.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1487 on: May 28, 2021, 01:10:47 AM »
That's why it was so funny when finally Richard gave one of his trademakrs FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU screaming at the billboard they were putting up just as he decided to nuke Pied Piper  :lol

Also loved when Dinesh needed to revert back the patch that was fixed by mistake, and Richard was paralyzed by indecision, also because Dinesh already told them "I'm greedy, I want this to succeed and become rich, I will lie to you, keep me away". Giifoyle realized that Dinesh was sincere, and gave him the permissions needed to go back to the right/wrong patch. Frenemies for life (they ended up working together after all!)  :heart

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1488 on: June 06, 2021, 04:57:56 AM »
Finishing up the first (and so far only) season of The Mosquito Coast. It's all right I guess. Nothing that special but it was a decent enough watch.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: June 07, 2021, 07:00:52 AM »
Anyone watch The Blacklist?   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1490 on: June 07, 2021, 11:12:53 AM »

*Raises hand*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: June 07, 2021, 12:00:34 PM »

*Raises hand*

Is it just me, or is Keen eminently annoying?  It's hard for me to imagine that she actually WAS an FBI agent at some point, she is so stupid.   i find Aram to be annoying too; with agents like him, it's no wonder that Trump and Clinton do not fear FBI prosecution.  ;)

I have turned into a big Donald Ressler fan, though. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1492 on: June 07, 2021, 12:11:35 PM »

*Raises hand*

Is it just me, or is Keen eminently annoying?  It's hard for me to imagine that she actually WAS an FBI agent at some point, she is so stupid.   i find Aram to be annoying too; with agents like him, it's no wonder that Trump and Clinton do not fear FBI prosecution.  ;)

Keen is always so damn wishy washy.  Is she bad, not bad.  She dips her toe in and then gets cold feet.

Aram is like a lost puppy.

I always liked Ressler.  Believes in justice and is willing to step over the line.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1493 on: June 07, 2021, 08:09:31 PM »
Almost through the first season of Mythic Quest, really enjoying it so far. They did a standalone episode in the middle of the season with Christina Milioti that is one of the better half hours of TV I've seen in a while.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1494 on: June 07, 2021, 08:35:41 PM »
Late to the party, but I just started binge watching Resident Alien on demand. 

If you think dark comedy is dead…watch it. I’m just  :rollin :rollin :rollin ing
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1495 on: June 09, 2021, 06:35:49 AM »
Started Castlevania - it's OK (midway though season 2).
Also started Solar Opposites - I'm really enjoying this.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1496 on: June 09, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »
Almost through the first season of Mythic Quest, really enjoying it so far. They did a standalone episode in the middle of the season with Christina Milioti that is one of the better half hours of TV I've seen in a while.

Season Two is running now, and the show only gets better from there. Brilliant comedy IMO.

And that standalone episode you reference is an amazing slice of television!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1497 on: June 12, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »
Started Ragnarök the other day. It's a very lowkey show about gods in norse mythology but without Hollywood basically.
It's pretty good but a bit of a teendrama honestly but it's still well made and watchable.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1498 on: June 13, 2021, 10:53:38 PM »
Watched seven episodes of The Man in The High Castle. I’m digging it quite a lot.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1499 on: June 14, 2021, 05:19:15 AM »
Watched seven episodes of The Man in The High Castle. I’m digging it quite a lot.

Season 1 will end in a great way. And Seasaon 2 will end up in an even greater way.

If you like it, stick at least with the full first two seasons, it will spectacularly pay off.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1500 on: June 14, 2021, 05:55:48 AM »

*Raises hand*

Keen is always so damn wishy washy.  Is she bad, not bad.  She dips her toe in and then gets cold feet.

Aram is like a lost puppy.

I always liked Ressler.  Believes in justice and is willing to step over the line.

This show frustrates me.  For the past couple of seasons, Keen (whether an Agent, or a criminal on the run) is pretty fucking stupid.  I can't recall specific moments right now, but far too often I end up thinking "nobody is THAT stupid".  And that's not limited to Keen.  Overall, the story arcs are interesting enough to keep me coming back.  Plus, Spader - he's a top-10 all-time favorite actor.  I really love a lot of the supporting cast - Panabaker, Glen (RIP), Glen's mom, the torture guy. 

I hope next season gets less 'stupid' moments.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: June 14, 2021, 07:38:43 AM »
You and I are exactly aligned on this.   My wife is tired of hearing it from me:  "Do you think they could kill of Keen and keep everyone else?"

Glen was hilarious, the torture guy (and now his wife!) are, in their dark way, hilarious.   Even Townsend, played by Reg "I Am Ham" Rogers, is more interesting than Keen.   (I also want to see more of the thief that Reddington tried to infiltrate into Townsend's organization; she was bomb).   

Another show along the same lines:  Manifest.  I'm three seasons in so I want to get the payoff (if the show isn't cancelled first) but my god, I can't imagine a cast I dislike more.  If it wasn't for J.R. Ramirez (who plays Vasquez) and Ellen Tamaki (who plays Michaela's new partner, Mikami), this might be unwatchable.   I'm beginning to suspect that there's a whole unrelated explanation to this (dream, coma, video game, something) because there are starting to be more and more knowing winks and acknowledgements of the ridiculousness of the terminology (the "callings", the "lifeboat", "Eureka"... everything has a cute little name and explanation). 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1502 on: June 14, 2021, 09:49:25 AM »
Late to the party, but I just started binge watching Resident Alien on demand. 

If you think dark comedy is dead…watch it. I’m just  :rollin :rollin :rollin ing

Recently did the same. Alan Tudyk was made for that role. Honestly, could not see anyone else as that character. Awesome show.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1503 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »
I gave up on The Blacklist several years ago.

I'm not sure that the characters/storyline have really progressed much since then, from what I hear.  And yeah, I wanted Keen dead back then.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1504 on: June 14, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »
Attempting to re-watch the entire series of 24.  I watched them as they aired, starting with season 1, which premiered when I was a senior in college.  I remember the overall plot of each season, but there was so much that I had forgotten because they packed so many things into the series.  It's taking me about a week to a week and a half to watch each season - I'm about 1/3 of the way through season 3.

Jack Bauer is such a badass and Keifer Sutherland is so perfect in that show.  The entire cast is actually really great.