Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 215613 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1295 on: February 16, 2021, 04:06:29 PM »
I have backed off of most of my show watching. Got overwhelmed or something, I don't know. I am so far behind now on so much. I started watching Leverage a few weeks ago and that is about all I am on right now. I need to get back to Van Helsing on Netflix. Don't even remember where I am on that.

That's me too.   I watch stuff, but I have put little time into any serious TV time.  I still have most of season 4 of The Good Place still to go.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1296 on: February 16, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »
Finished my rewatch of Evangelion, now I started Terror in Resonance since it's on Neflix and it's directed by the same guy that did Cowboy Bebop. And Yoko Kano is doing the soundtrack as well. Cool so far. Afterwards I'm watching either Texhnolyze (by the same folks that did Lain), Planetes, and Steins;Gate.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1297 on: February 16, 2021, 05:51:43 PM »
I have backed off of most of my show watching. Got overwhelmed or something, I don't know. I am so far behind now on so much. I started watching Leverage a few weeks ago and that is about all I am on right now. I need to get back to Van Helsing on Netflix. Don't even remember where I am on that.

That's me too.   I watch stuff, but I have put little time into any serious TV time.  I still have most of season 4 of The Good Place still to go.

I think we can blame TAC and the UFO thread.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1298 on: February 16, 2021, 06:57:26 PM »
I watched Narcos in January and now started Narcos: Mexico, both on Netflix.  What a great show.

I also caught the premiere of Clarice on CBS, which was pretty good.  It's a direct sequel to Silence of the Lambs, with Clarice Starling working FBI cases after solving the Buffalo Bill case in the film.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1299 on: February 16, 2021, 11:54:05 PM »
 :lol

I think we can blame TAC and the UFO thread.

:lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1300 on: February 17, 2021, 01:13:37 AM »
My current lineup enjoying all I can get of my b-day gift of a Netflix card:

- Final season of the amazing and magnificent The Good Place
- Sick Note (black humor with Ron Weasley stuck in a lie of pretending to have cancer after a misdiagnosis)
- Bonding (struggles of a young dominatrix to fit in that world)
- The Kominky Method (Michael Douglas as an aging actors coach, bittersweet comedy)
- Sense8 (from the Matrix creators, 8 people around the world sharing a mental connection)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: February 17, 2021, 05:17:41 AM »

- Sick Note (black humor with Ron Weasley stuck in a lie of pretending to have cancer after a misdiagnosis)
- The Kominky Method (Michael Douglas as an aging actors coach, bittersweet comedy)
- Sense8 (from the Matrix creators, 8 people around the world sharing a mental connection)

We watched, and liked, Sense8.  I'd be curious what you think.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1302 on: February 17, 2021, 06:06:39 AM »
Three episodes in and I'm still kinda figuring out who's who, even though some characters are more prominent than the others (DJ girl in London, the Chicago cop, the mexican actor and the trans woman risking lobotomy). Curious on how everything will come together.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1303 on: February 17, 2021, 07:26:04 AM »

Sens8 was amazing. A little over the top with some of the open sexuality scenes, and a shame it was cancelled the way it was, but there was a satisfying conclusion at least.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: February 17, 2021, 08:32:05 AM »

Sens8 was amazing. A little over the top with some of the open sexuality scenes, and a shame it was cancelled the way it was, but there was a satisfying conclusion at least.

Haha, the dripping dildo was too much for you?  :) :)

I liked it, but the movie-type conclusion was a different pace than the first two seasons, which created a different kind of suspense, and made the ending seem just a shade too pat.   I can say, though, that I'm not sure I've ever liked an entire cast a much as I liked that one.  I basically liked all eight of the main protagonists a lot.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1305 on: February 17, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
Finished my rewatch of Evangelion, now I started Terror in Resonance since it's on Neflix and it's directed by the same guy that did Cowboy Bebop. And Yoko Kano is doing the soundtrack as well. Cool so far. Afterwards I'm watching either Texhnolyze (by the same folks that did Lain), Planetes, and Steins;Gate.
Welp, just added Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex and Haibane Renmei (another by one of the Lain creators, nice) to the list.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: February 19, 2021, 05:30:19 AM »

Haha, the dripping dildo was too much for you?  :) :)

I liked it, but the movie-type conclusion was a different pace than the first two seasons, which created a different kind of suspense, and made the ending seem just a shade too pat.   I can say, though, that I'm not sure I've ever liked an entire cast a much as I liked that one.  I basically liked all eight of the main protagonists a lot.

I don't actually remember THAT scene.  I wasn't actually bothered by it (though, it did seem overly gratuitous) until the final conclusion, and the 3-way between the Indian couple and the German.  Like, as if.  That was just self serving / ego stroking (pun intended) for the Wachowski's (creators).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1307 on: February 19, 2021, 06:00:47 AM »
Yeah, I've just seen the "clusterfuck" episode  :biggrin: :loser:

It's coming together, once you go past the first 2-3 WTF episodes the way they all relate to each other and interact becomes clear and the story becomes more exciting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: February 19, 2021, 07:43:21 AM »
I'm usually rather sensitive to the (what I usually see as) heavy handed identity politics preaching in works like that, and there are other stories/series where I just can't get past that, but this one I thought was well done.  They put thought into it, and it tied nicely into the story line in a way that I thought made sense and took away some of the "preachiness" of it.  There was still some, such as in the Lito storyline, but I though the beautiful Jamie Clayton did a fantastic job of not making her story sensationalist.  It was just one part of a bigger "her" and that was believable.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1309 on: February 22, 2021, 06:11:43 AM »
Finished season 1 of Sense8. Great stuff. Pity that it was cancelled after season 2, but at least they had the chance to have a long final episode.

I think this story works brilliantly in a series, in a movie it would have all been so rushed. Take Tenet for example (mild spoilers follow):

Movie: "So, there are objects and people that move backwards in time, like this bullet. Get it?"
Audience: "mh, yeah, I guess, maybe let me wrap my head around it a bit bett-"
Movie: "NO TIME! ACTION SEQUENCE! PLANE CRASHING INTO A BUILDING! FIGHTS! MASSIVE BATTLE!"

Geez. Sense8 instead has the luxury of 12 hours, and therefore you can digest the premise better and enjoy all the interactions of the characters.

I also love how it's all intertwined - it's not "ok, 2-3 episodes of exposition and then it's all action scenes", every episode there's the human connection between the characters and when they cooperate and help each other, it's badass and entertaining and at times heartfelt.

Some moments are over the top, some others are cheesy, but overall it's a very enjoyable shows and, even though it's been cut short, I hope season 2 will be as good as the first.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: February 22, 2021, 06:46:32 AM »
I hope season 2 will be as good as the first.

I thought that it was. IIRC, it wasn't cancelled until near the end of it's run, so it was made with more seasons in mind - which makes the wrap up (though obviously rushed) fairly impressive that they were able to tie up all the loose ends.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: February 22, 2021, 07:30:08 AM »

I thought that it was. IIRC, it wasn't cancelled until near the end of it's run, so it was made with more seasons in mind - which makes the wrap up (though obviously rushed) fairly impressive that they were able to tie up all the loose ends.

Yeah, I don't want to ruin it for MirrorMask (or anyone else) because it's still very worth watching, but I found seasons 1 and 2 to be immersive and mesmerizing.   Then there was a gap when it was cancelled and they announced a movie, but it took a while to get to it; it was good and wrapped things up well, but the pacing was a very obvious difference.   There was the time to intertwine things; the emotions seemed real and the build-ups were organic (especially between Riley and Will).  The movie had to excise a lot of that to propel the plot.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: February 22, 2021, 09:57:47 AM »

Yeah, I don't want to ruin it for MirrorMask (or anyone else) because it's still very worth watching, but I found seasons 1 and 2 to be immersive and mesmerizing.   Then there was a gap when it was cancelled and they announced a movie, but it took a while to get to it; it was good and wrapped things up well, but the pacing was a very obvious difference.   There was the time to intertwine things; the emotions seemed real and the build-ups were organic (especially between Riley and Will).  The movie had to excise a lot of that to propel the plot.

Fortunately for me, I only got 'in' to it after everything was already released, so I never had the downtime between the seasons, or the wrapup episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1313 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:35 AM »

Fortunately for me, I only got 'in' to it after everything was already released, so I never had the downtime between the seasons, or the wrapup episode.

Sense8 was a really good show. Loved the concept.....the actors/actresses had great chemistry......good stories for the characters.....just good all around. The unfortunate thing about the show was the forced wrap up. Clearly there was a larger plan for a slower burn story ending. I was happy to get a conclusion even though it was rushed....it was still 'good'.

The thing that bothered me the most was the over the top 'preaching' by the Wachowski's. I 'get' making a statement for a movement. But it was over the top and in your face a little too much for me. I stuck with the show because of the concept and story but the explicit and gratuitous scenes were shocking just for shock value. There were some that were handled very gracefully and were 'beautiful' for the characters.....but there were many instances of just crossing the line because they could. Didn't add anything to the story or characters other than they were just being raunchy for the sake of being raunchy.

Nonetheless.....cool show and concept.....bummed it was forced to cram two plus seasons into two hours.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: February 22, 2021, 01:55:06 PM »
The only thing that was heavy handed to me was the spectrum:   the trans relationship was the healthiest, strongest relationship, and as you moved across the characters, and across the spectrum toward traditional heterosexual relationships, the relationships become more "troubled" for a lack of a better word, and more turbulent. The sex scenes to me just seemed to be a way of reinforcing that so we didn't forget.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1315 on: February 24, 2021, 12:21:54 PM »
Finished both seasons of The Kominzky Method. Great stuff. What does it say about me, a 41 years old guy, that can enjoy both teen dramas (well, not all obviously, but I enjoy stuff with youngsters) and a series about grumpy geezers?  :D

I also started Master of None. Very funny and clever.

And I'm at three "seasons" of Luther out of five (there are just a bunch of episodes per seasons, for example the third had 4, and the fourth will only have 2). Idris Elba is AMAZING as a troubled cop always this close to snap and become even more angry and anti procedures than he already is, and he makes the show. But the stories are kinda meh, you can see the inconsistencies, plot shortcuts and "what the hell" moments over and over. But Idris elba more than makes up for it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: February 27, 2021, 08:29:41 PM »
Started watching ‘The Head’ (knock it off perverts) on HBO Max. A murder/mystery set in an Antarctic Research station. Really cool show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: February 27, 2021, 08:34:32 PM »
Started watching ‘The Head’ (knock it off perverts) on HBO Max. A murder/mystery set in an Antarctic Research station. Really cool show.

He said "head".   Hu-huh. Hu-huh.  Hu-huh-huh.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: February 28, 2021, 01:50:26 AM »

Finished the series. It’s only (6) episodes. Pretty neat.....but I will say I watch entirely too much TV because I had the end of the show figured out around the end of the third episode. But it didn’t detract from it.....just highlights the fact I watch too much tv.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1319 on: February 28, 2021, 05:48:42 AM »
I finished The Good Place and I'm at peace with the world and the universe and everything.

Amazing and flawless show. As close as perfection as the abstract concept of "perfection" can be. It's funny, witty, clever, profound and touching. So many laughters made more precious by the occasional tear. It was a home run from the beginning until the end, it started great, continued great, and ended brilliantly. And with an insane pace, once you see season 1 you can figure out how season 2 will play out.... well, they burn through the entire supposed plot of season 2 in TWO EPISODES. The pace has always been insanely tight and fast for a sitcom, where the status quo must always prevail, and they never took the easy way.

Kristen Bell and Ted Danson gave the performance of a lifetime, and also the other supporting cast was great. Michael Schur created an amazing masterpiece and I'm gonna watch everything he's involved in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: February 28, 2021, 08:32:55 AM »
Disenchantment part 3.

This is nowhere near as good as Futurama and nowhere near as bad as current Simpsons.

it's just ... alright.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. It kills 30 mins at a time...

Meh. It's just not funny though. I watched some Futurama last week and I was in stitches every 5 minutes.

Disenchantment is just.... Ehhhh.. I'll watch it but I don't look forward to it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1321 on: February 28, 2021, 08:40:34 AM »
I kinda like Disenchantment, sure, it could be way better but I'm into it. There are some legit good laughs here and there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: February 28, 2021, 11:37:52 AM »
Zøg was the funniest character in Series 1 - now he's just annoying.

WAH WAH WAH

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1323 on: March 01, 2021, 07:48:13 AM »
Disenchantment part 3.

This is nowhere near as good as Futurama and nowhere near as bad as current Simpsons.

it's just ... alright.

I don't love it and I don't hate it. It kills 30 mins at a time...

Meh. It's just not funny though. I watched some Futurama last week and I was in stitches every 5 minutes.

Disenchantment is just.... Ehhhh.. I'll watch it but I don't look forward to it.

I watched the first season and it was a letdown, but still watchable.  I haven't got round to watching anymore, does it get better?  Yeah nowhere near as good as Futurama - even the comeback seasons of Futurama.   Futurama was full of characters who could make you laugh,  the only character like that in Disenchantment was Luci - Bean was a bit bland, and Elfo actually annoyed me somewhat.   With Netflix reputation and it's lukewarm response I wouldn't be surprised if it axed soon maybe?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1324 on: March 01, 2021, 08:15:37 AM »
The following seasons are a bit more serialized, and you can sense there's an overarching theme, the first season had just standalone episodes save the last ones. It's more or less the same, I mean, if one likes season 1, the following ones are good as well, if someone is lukewarm to season 1, 2 and 3 won't turn the show and the expectation upside down, maybe if your idea is to give the show a 6, season 2 and 3 can bring it to a 7, but definitively they won't bring it to a 9.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: March 01, 2021, 02:57:23 PM »
Disenchantment 2 and 3 are more of the same. They just seem to sort of amble along. There's no strong plot hooks. The one where there is two Merkimers is bizarre.

Things just sort of....happen. The writing is nowhere near as good as Futurama.

I swear the writing on Futurama was unlike any comedy show i've seen before or since. It's just so random ( in a good way ) - and has the kind of jokes

that seem really obvious when you hear them but nobody has ever said before.

Example - the one where Leela is due to marry that other 'cyclops'...Fry and Bender run off to explore his home planet and they find Five more castles...

Fry : Wow ! Five Identical Castles !!

Bender : Each MORE identical than the last !!

:rollin Just really clever jokes like that *constantly*.

Like I said - I saw an episode of Futurama last week i'd never seen before called Mobius Dick - and it was hysterical. I was laughing out loud every few minutes.

Apart from laughing at Shocko in Episode one of Disenchantment and John Dimaggio's voice for Zog - I hardly even chuckle at Disenchantment.

----------

The interesting thing about Dis ( not Discovery ) - is that Simpsons is modern day. Futurama is Future and Disenchantment is past. ( with some Steampunk thrown in ).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1326 on: March 02, 2021, 02:27:33 AM »
When Futurama got axed for the first time - then came back with 4 film length episode (Bender's Big Score,  Beast with a Billion Backs,  Bender's Game & Wild Green Yonder).  Bender's Game was set in medieval times (D&D style) and that wasn't great either, maybe that setting just doesn't work!

I've seen the original batch of Futurama episodes hundreds of times and aside from the odd dud most are great.  Recently I've been going though the newer episodes (from when it was revived for the second time) and I'm about halfway though - the quality is much more patchy, but it's still good.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1327 on: March 02, 2021, 02:42:59 AM »
Apart from laughing at Shocko in Episode one of Disenchantment

WHAAAAAAAAAAAA????

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: March 04, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »
I finished The Good Place and I'm at peace with the world and the universe and everything.

Amazing and flawless show. As close as perfection as the abstract concept of "perfection" can be. It's funny, witty, clever, profound and touching. So many laughters made more precious by the occasional tear. It was a home run from the beginning until the end, it started great, continued great, and ended brilliantly. And with an insane pace, once you see season 1 you can figure out how season 2 will play out.... well, they burn through the entire supposed plot of season 2 in TWO EPISODES. The pace has always been insanely tight and fast for a sitcom, where the status quo must always prevail, and they never took the easy way.

Kristen Bell and Ted Danson gave the performance of a lifetime, and also the other supporting cast was great. Michael Schur created an amazing masterpiece and I'm gonna watch everything he's involved in.

I finished this last night; I'm not one for hyperbole, but that was worth any of the kudos it's received.  That's one of the best television shows I've ever watched.

I'm a nuggets guy, and that entire series was chock full.   

I think I even caught one that the interwebs missed:  I'm pretty sure Micheal (Ted Danson) told Janet the same thing that Diane Chambers told Sam (Ted Danson) on Cheers when she left.  They already made a Cheers reference in Season 2, so not outlandish.  I googled and couldn't find any corroboration.

Not gonna lie: got some dust in my eye when Chidi broke his news to Eleanor.

My daughter and I started watching the first two seasons together; she went back to school and I kept watching, and I'd text her funny lines each episode.  It got to the point that even excluding the ones you'd never send to your daughter, I'd be sending four or five an episode.   I had a great idea:  I'm probably going to get my daughter a Blake Bortles jersey for Christmas, just because, as a reminder of some of the ideas from the show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1329 on: March 04, 2021, 08:51:56 AM »
Jason figured it out?!?? JASON!?!? Wow, this is a real low point. Yeah, this one hurts.

:rollin