Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218263 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1260 on: January 29, 2021, 07:05:46 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1261 on: January 30, 2021, 06:34:37 AM »
Started watching Sweet Magnolias with mrs.jingle.
jingle.daughter and I are gonna pound out Fate: The Winx Saga (watched 2 episodes last night... kinda cool, and only six episodes)
on my own, I'm working through The Queen's Gambit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1262 on: January 30, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
I cannot stand the dialogue for the Gilmour Girls. It's unrealistic.  My wife loves it and giggles when I walk into the room when she is watching it.  :lol

We've talked about this; Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (which is a decidedly ordinary show now that Peter Gallagher is no longer in it) is the same way.  It's exhausting listening to these hipster quipsters banter; it's like watching a verbal fencing match at double speed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: January 30, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
CONTROVERSIAL POST TIME:   Getting tired of the "ripped from the headlines" storylines at this point, since that only means one of two things:  one, COVID (which, by my estimation consists of wearing masks until you get in a closed room at which time apparently everyone's test results come back instantly and they can all remove their masks to deliver the lines) or some by-the-numbers race/gender conflict (which, by my estimation is 2 minutes of two characters seeming to "debate" both sides, then 45 minutes of the main characters tripping over themselves to remain woke).

The Blacklist has devolved into mediocrity - Elizabeth Keen is the least believable character on television at this point - yet at least it still has some element of "fancy" to it so that it's not like watching a segment of CNN.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: January 30, 2021, 12:47:47 PM »
The Blacklist has devolved into mediocrity - Elizabeth Keen is the least believable character on television at this point - yet at least it still has some element of "fancy" to it so that it's not like watching a segment of CNN.

Yeah, I'm not very enthralled with the turn the series has taken.  Also, anyone else believe that Katarina wasn't actually Katarina?  Red kept referring to her as "that woman", and subtle other language nuances that never directly refer to her as Liz's mother (eg, promising Harold that he wouldn't harm Liz's mother), the promptly killing 'that woman'.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: January 31, 2021, 08:10:16 AM »

Yeah, I'm not very enthralled with the turn the series has taken.  Also, anyone else believe that Katarina wasn't actually Katarina?  Red kept referring to her as "that woman", and subtle other language nuances that never directly refer to her as Liz's mother (eg, promising Harold that he wouldn't harm Liz's mother), the promptly killing 'that woman'.

There's going to be a big twist coming; the wife thinks that Tom is coming back.   I hated - HATED - the Katarina character/story arc.  Just so unbelievable to me.  I sort of get it - playing on the "daughter following in the mother's shoes" thing - but it wasn't a favorite.  If there's a twist that redeems that, I'm all in.   It wasn't enough to kill the show for me - I LOVE Red, Dembe, Ressler, Agent Park, all of Red's crew (Aida Turturro, Fisher Stevens, the guy with the oxygen tank who does the interrogation) - but when Katarina and Aram came/come on the screen, I start to tune out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »
I'm three episodes into season two of The Good Place.   So far, one of the funniest comedies I've seen in recent memory.  Each episode has not one but several "laugh out loud" moments, and I've taken to just texting lines to my daughter (who has seen it).

"I rule the fart inadmissible as evidence."

"What do you call a female plumber?  A toilet sweep?  A clog wench?"

"We're trying out the new butthole spiders. They're enormous."

Adam Scott's demon always asking "so, is this going to happen? Are we going to do this?"

Eleanor repeatedly thinking that someone is hitting on her, and her saying "well, not that I'm not open to it, but let's focus!"

When they're repeating the attempts, the various plays on Chidi's name ("Chili", "Chito/Cheet-o").

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:18:20 AM by Stadler »

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1267 on: February 02, 2021, 11:29:07 AM »
The Good Place was one of the best shows to come out in recent memory. Everything about that show is gold and I was hooked about 3 minutes in when Michael explained who Doug Forcett was. I've watched the first three seasons probably a half dozen times.

I never finished it though. I fell asleep with 15 minutes left of the finale, and I haven't brought myself to see how it ends. I didn't want it to end.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1268 on: February 02, 2021, 11:59:07 AM »
I'm currently watching "Warrior" on HBO Max. Originally a Cinemax show. Very good so far.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1269 on: February 02, 2021, 12:02:53 PM »
The Good Place's final season finally arrived on Netflix and I'm starting to rewatch it again from the beginning. Because it is that good.

Absolutely one of the very best comedies I've ever seen, with an incredible pace. In season 2 they burned through a season's worth of storyline in THE FIRST EPISODE. The creativity is seemingly endless. I rewatched over and over the first season and I was so satisfied with it, that I didn't even bother to go searching immediately for season 2. Like you discover a band with an album so good, and you know that there are other albums, but you're so happy with that specific album that you're content to enjoy it in full before moving on.

I saw Season 2 and 3 only once and I'm gonna rewatch them in full ASAP.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1270 on: February 02, 2021, 01:20:05 PM »
My wife and I gave up on that 2 years ago.  Honestly, I'm surprised it's still on the air.

I'm currently watching "Warrior" on HBO Max. Originally a Cinemax show. Very good so far.
It's on my list.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1271 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:55 PM »
Watched the 1st -2 episodes of Lovecraft Country.  I shouldn't be surprised How dark and well written it is but I was. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1272 on: February 02, 2021, 02:53:05 PM »

My brother has told me about this one and says it's pretty good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1273 on: February 02, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »
Watched the 1st -2 episodes of Lovecraft Country.  I shouldn't be surprised How dark and well written it is but I was.
That show is FUCKED UP.

I LOVED it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: February 03, 2021, 10:42:47 AM »

There's going to be a big twist coming; the wife thinks that Tom is coming back.   I hated - HATED - the Katarina character/story arc.  Just so unbelievable to me.  I sort of get it - playing on the "daughter following in the mother's shoes" thing - but it wasn't a favorite.  If there's a twist that redeems that, I'm all in.   It wasn't enough to kill the show for me - I LOVE Red, Dembe, Ressler, Agent Park, all of Red's crew (Aida Turturro, Fisher Stevens, the guy with the oxygen tank who does the interrogation) - but when Katarina and Aram came/come on the screen, I start to tune out.

Agreed almost completely (I haven't totally warmed up to Park yet, and I've got no beef with Aram).  I could watch Spader act out the phone book as dialogue, so I'm in this for the duration.  Haven't watched last week's episode yet.

Bringing Tom back would be great.  Ryan Eggold did a great job of him, even with the character's inconsistencies as his story unfolded.

re: The Good Place... this kinda pisses me off.  I adore Kristen Bell, so I mentioned it to mrs.jingle, who instantly swore it off apparently having watched a few episodes with jingle.daughter and they ditched it cuz it was weird.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: February 03, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »
re: The Good Place... this kinda pisses me off.  I adore Kristen Bell, so I mentioned it to mrs.jingle, who instantly swore it off apparently having watched a few episodes with jingle.daughter and they ditched it cuz it was weird.

Haha, I had the same conversation.  I don't know why, but my wife was like "not interested!".   

Online faizoff

« Reply #1276 on: February 03, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »
I had already watched The Good Place and asked the wife to watch it as well, she went from "what the shit is this?" to "this forking shirt is awesome"
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: February 03, 2021, 01:20:19 PM »
I had already watched The Good Place and asked the wife to watch it as well, she went from "what the shit is this?" to "this forking shirt is awesome"

Well, we're in the midst of a Schitt's Creek journey.  Only partway thru S1, and loving it already.  When it's done, I'll re-suggest The Good Place.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1278 on: February 04, 2021, 01:28:28 PM »

I really dug The Good Place. My wife tailed off on it around S3 and got bored with it. I stuck it out and was glad. Really interesting stuff and it was funny.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: February 04, 2021, 01:40:08 PM »
Season 2 Episode 10 (the one where Dak Shepard is a guest star - "Ball tap, bro!") is one of the funniest episodes of comedy TV I've ever seen.  Hilarious.

And as much of a fan of Kristen Bell as I am, I'm an even bigger fan with the glasses.  ;)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1280 on: February 05, 2021, 06:08:23 AM »
I needed a new treadmill show and this thread inspired me to restart The Good Place. I'll suck it up and finish it this time. Two episodes every morning. Shouldn't take too long.

I really like how the show was kind of short (by US standards) despite being as good as it was. Like Schitt's Creek, I think it benefitted greatly by not overstaying its welcome and having to bottom feed for content. I'd rather four awesome season over eight seasons with the final few being a shadow of what the show once was. Hats off to Micheal Schur. It amazes me that there are people out there with seemingly endless ideas when it comes to creating comedy. The guy helped bring us The Office, Parcks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Good Place, etc, and was a writer for SNL for like eight years.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1281 on: February 05, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »
Yeah, Schur is amazing and I'm definitively gonna catch up with literally everything he's a part of sooner or later.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: February 05, 2021, 06:38:42 AM »
I needed a new treadmill show and this thread inspired me to restart The Good Place. I'll suck it up and finish it this time. Two episodes every morning. Shouldn't take too long.

I really like how the show was kind of short (by US standards) despite being as good as it was. Like Schitt's Creek, I think it benefitted greatly by not overstaying its welcome and having to bottom feed for content. I'd rather four awesome season over eight seasons with the final few being a shadow of what the show once was.

Spot.  Fucking.  On.  Modern Family was a turd the last 3-4 seasons, and we bailed on the Goldbergs this year (though we really should have a couple years back.

Go out on top.  Be like Elway.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: February 05, 2021, 06:40:43 AM »

I really like how the show was kind of short (by US standards) despite being as good as it was. Like Schitt's Creek, I think it benefitted greatly by not overstaying its welcome and having to bottom feed for content. I'd rather four awesome season over eight seasons with the final few being a shadow of what the show once was.

Spot.  Fucking.  On.  Modern Family was a turd the last 3-4 seasons, and we bailed on the Goldbergs this year (though we really should have a couple years back.

Go out on top.  Be like Elway.

I'm with you; I've written a lot about The Big Bang Theory that way as well.  It's in that last four years that babies and monkeys come in, all the edges get shaved off, and everyone becomes lovable goofballs who are life-long pals.  It just gets saccharine. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1284 on: February 06, 2021, 05:28:30 AM »
Watched the first season of Luther, with Idris Elba as the titular character, a tormented cop.

He's very good at it and he makes the show, which is good, but damn, there's a reoccuring villain that is so over the top that it almost ruins the show for me.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1285 on: February 15, 2021, 10:27:52 PM »
Have watched the first two episodes of Your Honor on HBO. Bryan Cranston plays a judge whose son is involved in a hit and run. Really good so far.

I am watching this strictly because of Bryan Cranston.  I am enjoying so far, but I have a bad feeling it is goin to get predictable and/or very contrived.  Just a bad hunch. I hope I am wrong.  As usual, his acting has been tremendous.

I agree it did get predictable at times, but I really enjoyed the final episode, and did not see that ending coming.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: February 16, 2021, 08:49:30 AM »
We started watching Coyote on Amazon Prime starring Michael Chiklis.  I'm liking it so far.  Only 4 episodes in but he is in a world of shit right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1287 on: February 16, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
We started a rewatch of Friday Night Lights.  Awesome, awesome show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: February 16, 2021, 09:00:17 AM »
We started watching Coyote on Amazon Prime starring Michael Chiklis.  I'm liking it so far.  Only 4 episodes in but he is in a world of shit right now.

Is that a new show?   I'm a big Michael Chiklis fan (he's a big fan of prog rock, too; drummer, I understand.)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1289 on: February 16, 2021, 09:18:11 AM »

Is that a new show?   I'm a big Michael Chiklis fan (he's a big fan of prog rock, too; drummer, I understand.)
Yeah, it's brand new, on CBS All Access.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: February 16, 2021, 09:50:53 AM »

What Hef said.  Yes.  We also need to continue with Doom Patrol.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1291 on: February 16, 2021, 09:55:39 AM »

What Hef said.  Yes.  We also need to continue with Doom Patrol.

I do not know what I am missing, but I struggled to get through the first episode of Doom Patrol. It should be way up my alley, but I nearly DNF'd after twenty minutes. Am I missing something? Does it get better?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: February 16, 2021, 11:47:04 AM »
I only watched the 1st episode so I can't tell you yet.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1293 on: February 16, 2021, 01:37:06 PM »
I'm re-watching Parks and Rec.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1294 on: February 16, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »
To pile on The Good Place, I was singing this show's praises some time ago. Seen it several times over now. The real treat was picking up the complete series blu-ray set. Almost every episode is extended. Just more goodness to take in.

Currently, Ted Lasso has hit me the same, if not worse, than The Good Place did. They have already said that the 3 seasons they are set for is all they will do. Season 2 is in production now. There will only be 30 episodes with this plan.

I have backed off of most of my show watching. Got overwhelmed or something, I don't know. I am so far behind now on so much. I started watching Leverage a few weeks ago and that is about all I am on right now. I need to get back to Van Helsing on Netflix. Don't even remember where I am on that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history