Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218413 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1225 on: January 25, 2021, 03:40:46 PM »
Is it just me, or is there a lot of shitty TV out there?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1226 on: January 25, 2021, 03:44:21 PM »
It's not just you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1227 on: January 26, 2021, 06:53:27 AM »

570 Channels and nothing on.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1228 on: January 26, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »
Pssh, The Untouchables and Apollo 13 are both on one of the Showtime channels as we speak. :coolio

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: January 26, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »

570? Back in my day, it was 13 channels of shit on the TV to choose from.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1230 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:15 PM »

And you were the remote controller.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1231 on: January 26, 2021, 07:53:32 PM »

It is not you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1232 on: January 26, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »
Mixed-Ish

This show captures what I used to love about The Goldbergs and Black-ish really well. Both of those shows for years, my wife and I watched nearly every week, but both are now at the point of saturation, but Mixed-ish is fresh and has a lot of funny pop-culture references.

It was great to finally see a new episode tonight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: January 27, 2021, 05:05:01 AM »

I am old enough to have slapped the side of my TV to get better reception. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1234 on: January 27, 2021, 05:42:17 AM »

Rabbit ears, baby!

And my mention of 570 was a play on that Springsteen tune, 57 Channels and Nothing On
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1235 on: January 27, 2021, 06:09:07 AM »
And my mention of 570 was a play on that Springsteen tune, 57 Channels and Nothing On

Ha, I knew that.  :D

Been there, done that.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: January 27, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »

Don't lie.  You learned that from Fonzie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: January 27, 2021, 07:50:18 AM »

Don't lie.  You learned that from Fonzie.

Of course I did!   Absolutely!  But I'm old enough to have actually DONE it.  Nowadays, the TVs are so thin, you slap the side you come away with a paper cut.  Me, I got that satisfying sound of skin and bone thumping thick plastic with a faux wood grain, I could hear the cathode ray tube shift, and viola!  Channel 38 out of Boston popped into view so we could watch the end of the Bruins game and an episode of Cheers (hopefully one with Coach!)!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: January 27, 2021, 07:54:04 AM »
I just got a new 4K OLED TV and I can't believe how thin it is.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1239 on: January 27, 2021, 10:44:41 AM »

13?!  We had three networks, four local stations and a couple UHF stations.

Of course I did!   Absolutely!  But I'm old enough to have actually DONE it.  Nowadays, the TVs are so thin, you slap the side you come away with a paper cut.  Me, I got that satisfying sound of skin and bone thumping thick plastic with a faux wood grain, I could hear the cathode ray tube shift, and viola!  Channel 38 out of Boston popped into view so we could watch the end of the Bruins game and an episode of Cheers (hopefully one with Coach!)!

LOL!!

I just got a new 4K OLED TV and I can't believe how thin it is.

Just bought a new one for the bedroom.  I don't know what OLED is or how many "K" the TV had, but it was ridiculously large, and thin, and inexpensive.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: January 27, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »
OLED stands for organic light-emitting diode. Each pixel in an OLED display is made of a material that glows when you jab it with electricity. Kind of like the heating elements in a toaster, but with less heat and better resolution.

4K resolution refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels.

Just the newer technology.  There's even 8K models now.  The new model I have is extremely clear.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1241 on: January 27, 2021, 11:01:51 AM »
OLED stands for organic light-emitting diode. Each pixel in an OLED display is made of a material that glows when you jab it with electricity. Kind of like the heating elements in a toaster, but with less heat and better resolution.

4K resolution refers to a horizontal display resolution of approximately 4,000 pixels.

Just the newer technology.  There's even 8K models now.  The new model I have is extremely clear.

I'm pretty much at the stage where I just ask my 18yo, "do I need the Blee Blop?" and he says, "nah, the Bloopy Doop will be just fine for what you're doing."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: January 27, 2021, 11:40:04 AM »
It's scary when you become your parents.  I remember my mom asking me how to turn on the VCR.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: January 27, 2021, 11:41:45 AM »
I think this has been the case for a while now, but it seems to me that it's more noticeable:  the TVs have FAR outpaced the quality of the original content.  Used to be the limiter was the TV, staticy fuzz and all.  Now, I'll watch something on Disney+ or a Blu-ray, and switch to Food Network, and it looks like Guy Fieri is standing behind a fish tank.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1244 on: January 28, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »
He is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1245 on: January 28, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
Been slowly working my way through Castle (with Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic).  A little more than halfway through season 4, and I have to say it's one of the best seasons of any show I can remember.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1246 on: January 28, 2021, 04:50:15 PM »
Finishing season 2 of my rewatch of Gilmore Girls.

Also on season 9 of my rewatch of Cheers (which will lead into a rewatch of Frasier).

Turns out working from home gives me a LOT of TV time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: January 28, 2021, 07:47:54 PM »
Been slowly working my way through Castle (with Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic).  A little more than halfway through season 4, and I have to say it's one of the best seasons of any show I can remember.

The wife and love that show.  I think you'd love Nathan in "The Rookie" as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1248 on: January 28, 2021, 07:49:18 PM »
The wife and I are now doing a rewatch of The West Wing, and have started watching The Crown.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1249 on: January 28, 2021, 07:52:26 PM »
The wife and I are now doing a rewatch of The West Wing, and have started watching The Crown.

I’m doing West Wing too with my girlfriend. She’s seen it before but it’s my first time.

We just started season 5. Where are you two?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1250 on: January 29, 2021, 02:09:56 AM »
Finished the sixth season of the glorious Brooklyn 99.

Started Sick Note and Bonding.

Sick Note has Ron Weasley as a (kinda unlkeable to be honest) lazy bum who gets wrongly diagnosed with cancer and then capitalizes on the sudden attention, support and love he receives, deciding to hide the misdiagnosis. Looks like a funny dark comedy.

Bonding is instead about a uni student with a side gig as a dominatrix, that hires a friend as an assistant, obviously not-so-sexy sheaningans ensue. Not that I'm an expert of that world or even terribly interested in in, but gut feeling is that is way more in line with that world, than the infamous 50 shades of grey ever was with the kinky stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1251 on: January 29, 2021, 07:33:06 AM »

I’m doing West Wing too with my girlfriend. She’s seen it before but it’s my first time.

We just started season 5. Where are you two?
We just started.  About halfway through season 1.  But we watched it when it originally aired.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: January 29, 2021, 08:04:14 AM »

I always confuse that show with Bones, though I haven't watched either one so that may be ridiculous.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1253 on: January 29, 2021, 08:05:37 AM »

I always confuse that show with Bones, though I haven't watched either one so that may be ridiculous.

I’m with you. I just know Castle has Nathan Fillion and the other doesn’t. That’s my only way of distinguishing. Then again I don’t really dig procedural stuff like that so it might all blur together for me either way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: January 29, 2021, 08:31:25 AM »

I’m with you. I just know Castle has Nathan Fillion and the other doesn’t. That’s my only way of distinguishing. Then again I don’t really dig procedural stuff like that so it might all blur together for me either way.

HAHAHA, mine is the opposite: "I just know Bones has David Boreanaz and the other doesn't".   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1255 on: January 29, 2021, 09:37:00 AM »

The wife and love that show.  I think you'd love Nathan in "The Rookie" as well.

You are correct, sir.  We've been watching that since day 1.  I found it amusing when Nolan's mother showed up a couple episodes and looked like a more disheveled version of Susan Sullivan.

The wife and I are now doing a rewatch of The West Wing

My wife did that not too long ago.  We watched it regularly when it was on.  I tried to do the re-watch with her, but I couldn't get past how colossally arrogant Toby, Josh and Sam were.

Yeah...they're not really close (about the only similarities are (1) crime solving; and (2) almost everyone is in the 99th percentile of attractiveness for the jobs they do).  Among other things, Bones ran about 4 years longer than it should have.  Castle shut down right about when it should have.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: January 29, 2021, 09:53:41 AM »
She was married to Clint Eastwood for a long time.  She was in quite a few of his movies.  Their characters are polar opposites though.  Martha Rodgers was a loving mother.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1257 on: January 29, 2021, 12:23:16 PM »
Their characters are polar opposites though.  Martha Rodgers was a loving mother.

For sure.  The similarities ended at the appearance.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: January 29, 2021, 03:31:22 PM »

Finishing season 2 of my rewatch of Gilmore Girls.

Oy with the poodles already! 

We're doing a GG rewatch, as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: January 29, 2021, 06:55:51 PM »
I cannot stand the dialogue for the Gilmour Girls. It's unrealistic.  My wife loves it and giggles when I walk into the room when she is watching it.  :lol