Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 217183 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1190 on: January 11, 2021, 09:50:46 AM »
Anyone thinking of checking out the Silence of the Lambs-based show Clarice when it starts in February?  I'm on the fence.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1191 on: January 11, 2021, 10:33:53 AM »
Anyone thinking of checking out the Silence of the Lambs-based show Clarice when it starts in February? I'm on the fence.

Same here. I doubt I will. My wish was that they'd have allowed Bryan Fuller the rights to Clarice and let him incorporate the story into the 'Hannibal' series. That series was/is incredible.....with Mads Mikkelsen supplanting Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter. Mikkelsen was just remarkable in the role. Hugh Dancy as Will Graham was pretty dang awesome also. The whole show was great. But if I remember correctly they approached the timeline of Clarice Starling and did not have the 'rights' to her name/story so the show just kind of ended. There's been talk of revisiting it as the whole cast has said they'd do it in a hearbeat.

But to your original question.....I've thought about it....but am leaning 'no'.....not going to.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #1192 on: January 11, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
I watched the trailer or whatever teaser they had for Clarice, it didn't look that appealing. I'm willing to wait for the season to end and then see what the word of mouth is before checking it out. Hannibal the show is phenomenal and the entire cast was amazing in it.

I think from what I read what turned to be season 3 with two different storylines were originally meant to be two separate seasons and with Clarice woven into it a little. but since they didn't get the rights for Clarice, they shortened it to one season with both storylines compressed into one.

Truthfully I don't mind the way the show ended and if that is going to be the final season for the series I'm ok with the way it ended.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1193 on: January 11, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »
I need a show.   My problem is, there are a brazillion shows out there, and I don't know what I want.  I'm seriously considering just going back and rewatching The Sopranos.   I might watch The Stand, too.

My daughter and I are watching "The Good Place"; when she goes to school, though, I'll have to wait.  (By the way, big fan of both Kristen Bell AND Jameela Jamil).

Online faizoff

« Reply #1194 on: January 11, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »
I need a show.   My problem is, there are a brazillion shows out there, and I don't know what I want.  I'm seriously considering just going back and rewatching The Sopranos.   I might watch The Stand, too.

My daughter and I are watching "The Good Place"; when she goes to school, though, I'll have to wait.  (By the way, big fan of both Kristen Bell AND Jameela Jamil).

I recently watched Halt and Catch Fire which was a suggestion by someone from work. I had never heard of the show before, didn't know anything about it or what it was about. All my friend said was that it's got Mad Men vibes set in the tech world of the 80s-90s. Turns out to be a really great show and might even be in my favorite shows of all time. So completely under the radar yet I was engulfed with it in the last season (4) which IMO is the best season of the show.

I think it's one of the few shows I can remember where all the main cast of the show take such wild rides in their character story arcs yet it all fits so well and is consistent throughout. I still think of that last season I binged about a week ago, it has a lot of staying power with me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1195 on: January 11, 2021, 01:04:03 PM »

My daughter and I started watching The Good Place when we were visiting the east coast in April 2019.  At that point, there were only three seasons, and I really loved the premise and the first season.  The fourth and final season aired in late 2019/early 2020.  I think D'Arcy Carden's portrayal of Janet was my favorite, but all of the main characters were good in very different ways.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1196 on: January 11, 2021, 03:54:36 PM »
Anyone thinking of checking out the Silence of the Lambs-based show Clarice when it starts in February? 
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1197 on: January 11, 2021, 07:31:09 PM »
as much as we miss Beat Shazam, my wife and I have been sucked in to the newesy reboot of Name That Tune.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: January 12, 2021, 08:37:04 AM »
as much as we miss Beat Shazam, my wife and I have been sucked in to the newesy reboot of Name That Tune.

Yeah, we've spent some time there too.   Randy Jackson is almost unrecognizable.  He doesn't look well, frankly (and it's not like he's a hermit; isn't he in Journey again?)  I like the music part a lot, even though I'm not very good at it. 

(Side bar:  but game shows have become unbearable with the contestants; every one thinks they're in their breakout moment ready to go viral, or they have a sob story that's supposed to get me to root for them.  I don't know one person in real life that are like these people they find to be on game shows.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1199 on: January 12, 2021, 10:07:05 AM »
(Side bar:  but game shows have become unbearable with the contestants; every one thinks they're in their breakout moment ready to go viral, or they have a sob story that's supposed to get me to root for them.  I don't know one person in real life that are like these people they find to be on game shows.)

Last night, I watched the first episode of Jeopardy! with Ken Jennings hosting.  He had an excellent intro speech and did a pretty good job.  He was obviously nervous but didn't make any glaring mistakes.  It was a bit of business as usual.

When it was done, I caught the end of Wheel of Fortune.  Same as it ever was (Sajak and White have been doing the show longer than Trebek did Jeopardy!).

I then made the mistake of leaving it on ABC for Ellen's Game of Games.  It's obviously an over-the-top batch of ridiculousness, but I had to turn it off because there was a team of sisters who, at every opportunity, just screamed like they had about 20 shots of espresso in their systems.  Just awful.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: January 12, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »
I know this is mean and unfair, but I just have this image of some hipster 20-something douche assistant producer with a clipboard and a lanyard exhorting these people with mildly disguised contempt to "show some ENERGY people!  Show me you want to be here!" or something equally as inane.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1201 on: January 12, 2021, 11:03:11 AM »
Does anybody else watch "The Rookie?"  Anything Nathan Fillion is in is usually a very good show. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1202 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
I know this is mean and unfair, but I just have this image of some hipster 20-something douche assistant producer with a clipboard and a lanyard exhorting these people with mildly disguised contempt to "show some ENERGY people!  Show me you want to be here!" or something equally as inane.

I'm picturing Ashley (the red-headed assistant to Elizabeth Shue) from The Boys.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1203 on: January 12, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »

It's neither mean nor unfair, and that's absolutely what's happening.

About 20 years ago, I went to an in-person audition for Win Ben Stein's Money.  I didn't get called.  However, in mid-2002, I got a call producers asking me to come down to the studio to tape a different show that they were doing called WinTuition (there are a few episodes on YouTube (but not mine) if you want to check it out).  The grand prize was $50k to use for your own college education or to put in a 529 plan for a child, which was great for me because my son had just been born.  I was 35 at the time, and I basically destroyed my competition in the preliminary rounds.  Unfortunately, I didn't win the $50k, but I did win a couple grand, a river rafting trip and a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul guitar.  After the first question, the director yelled cut, and they told all three of us to show more emotion (pump your fist when you're right, etc.).  My entire episode is full of incredibly awkward reactions that none of us would have actually done if we hadn't been told to do so by the director.  For a high energy show like Game of Games, there's no question that there are people telling the contestants to act like idiots.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: January 12, 2021, 01:12:11 PM »
That's an amazing story.  (And congratulations; how did you like the guitar?  There was one of those at a pawn shop down near my dad; I was planning on going back down and offering like $200 cash to see if they'd take it, but then... COVID happened).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1205 on: January 12, 2021, 01:28:12 PM »
Stadler, watch Mr Robot ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1206 on: January 12, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »
That's an amazing story.  (And congratulations; how did you like the guitar?

It was fine.  It lived in a closet since I wasn't doing much playing with sleeping babies/toddlers in the house.  I finally bought an amp and played it a bit in around 2008.  It's fine, but I never played it much.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: January 12, 2021, 07:36:31 PM »
That's an amazing story.  (And congratulations; how did you like the guitar?

It was fine.  It lived in a closet since I wasn't doing much playing with sleeping babies/toddlers in the house.  I finally bought an amp and played it a bit in around 2008.  It's fine, but I never played it much.

Um... did you get rid of it? :yarr

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1208 on: January 13, 2021, 05:06:45 AM »
Finished Dirk Gently.

Season 1 was great. Season 2 was kinda meh, they went into a weird direction. And now I find it's been cancelled and so there won't be a season 3.

Also finsihed Season 1 of Ozark, time to bump that topic I guess!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1209 on: January 13, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »
Um... did you get rid of it? :yarr

Not a chance!

Does anybody else watch "The Rookie?"  Anything Nathan Fillion is in is usually a very good show. 

My wife and I love that show.  I did find the season premiere a bit confusing since it had been so long since the cliffhanger that was resolved.  Great characters for the most part.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1210 on: January 15, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
My family and I watched The History of Swear Words with Nicolas Cage last night.

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: January 15, 2021, 03:04:23 PM »
My family and I watched The History of Swear Words with Nicolas Cage last night.

lol

F*** that. 

:)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1212 on: January 15, 2021, 03:52:36 PM »
It was quite entertaining.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1213 on: January 15, 2021, 07:28:32 PM »
Started Van Helsing a few nights ago on Netflix.

Watched the first 2 episodes of WandaVision tonight.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1214 on: January 16, 2021, 10:51:57 AM »
I watched The Princess Bride again but something felt off: The Princess Bride: Home Movie (full)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: January 16, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
It was quite entertaining.

I'm sure; I actually like Nicholas Cage; he's nothing if not interesting.     I was just playing on the title ("Swear Words".... "f*** that").

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1216 on: January 16, 2021, 01:15:25 PM »
We just got through watching Equinox which was in its first season and I think 6 episodes. Really cool - it reminded me of the Wicker Man of sorts.

We started Messiah - we'll see on that one.

Netflix......

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: January 17, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
Found on Pluto TV a Wings channel, as in the 90s sitcom. One of my favorite shows from that time. Good nostalgia.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1218 on: January 17, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »
Found on Pluto TV a Wings channel, as in the 90s sitcom. One of my favorite shows from that time. Good nostalgia.

Pluto TV is great for nostalgia. Tons of old shows and it’s FREE!

I watched three hours of old school American Gladiators the other night   :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: January 17, 2021, 03:49:02 PM »
I am finding that out. I've had Pluto for a long time but never really checked it out, aside from the channel that plays Christmas music in December to the sights of holiday lights and decorations (and the fireplace channel, which my daughter thinks is stupid!)

American Gladiators was great. My favorite was Nitro (I think... the dude with slicked back black hair)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: January 18, 2021, 06:13:45 AM »

lol

mrs.jingle and I watched Ep 1 last night.  We'll fire off the rest anytime we've got 20 minutes to burn.  Series like that, and Comedians-cars-coffee are great when there's just a little bit of time to fill/kill.

Also, watched Battle Bots last night.  I DVR'd it, and it took me about 11 minutes to watch the only interesting parts episode.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1221 on: January 21, 2021, 02:35:45 AM »
Watched 'Homecoming' on Prime with Julia Roberts.  Was interested as it involved Sam Esmail the guy behind Mr. Robot - but this was pretty underwhelming, kept waiting for it to really ignite and take off, but it never did and just fizzled out completely at the end.   There is a Season 2 but as far as I can tell that is a completely different story and cast and generally seems to get worst reviews so I think that's a hard pass for me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1222 on: January 24, 2021, 02:41:39 AM »
Finished...

- Season 1 of The Umbrella Academy. Didn't really grab me at first, it went better with further episodes. Sometimes the writing is irritating and the fact that they're all a bunch of disfunctional, stunted characters can be an excuse for only so long for all the "why people don't talk to each other" trope, maybe a quick review of season 1 before moving forward will make me enjoy it more.

- Season 1 of Designated Survivor. I was curious about the premise, then stuck for all the season. Another show full of implausible and contrived situations but good enough to stay along for the ride.

- Lupin, set in modern day Paris, where a fan of the books about the original Arsene Lupin takes inspiration from him in his plan to get revenge for his father, unjustly framed by a rich asshole. 5 episodes so it doesn't take that much time.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1223 on: January 24, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »
Just finished season 2 of The Leftovers. Damn there were some very strong moments on this season although it took me a while to adjust to the new setting. Amazing acting as well. Looking forward to finishing this series soon, in a good sense.

Afterwards, I might go and rewatch Evangelion since it's on Netflix now.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: January 25, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
Tried Friends From College.  Got two episodes in, and we're pulling the ripcord.  The storyline with Keegan-Michael Key (and his character in general) was just way too far fetched and over the top.  Plus, there weren't a lot of truly funny moments - only a couple of chuckles.