Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218528 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1155 on: November 29, 2020, 06:30:32 AM »
Last night I said goodbye to two series.

First one is Broadchurch, which is gonna be removed from Netflix tomorrow. The first season was great, saw the second one which was the direct fallout of the first, and the third which had another storyline. It was one of those series that create a world so well, that you just enjoy spending time there with the characters and the scenery. I'll miss that cliff on the beach! it's too late to watch it on Netflix by now but this series deserves a lot more of praise and recognition.

And the other show I finished is BoJack Horseman. Wow. Just wow. This is a fantastic show through and through, and I believe it will become more and more famous and revered in years to come. Who knew that the contrast between the animation, the wacky humor in a world full of antropomorphized animals and the deep issues tackled by the storylines would work so well.

I don't know where to begin to list the example of excellent storytelling and great writing which is second to one in this era of TV / streaming. If you watched it, I'm preaching to the converted. If you didn't, just do it. Amazingly funny and surprisingly deep, you laugh, you reflect and you cry in the same episode. Landmark series.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1156 on: November 29, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »
Last night I finally started watching American Horror Story. 9 seasons. Wow. 3 episodes into season 1 - loving it already.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1157 on: November 29, 2020, 10:57:11 AM »
My recollection is of AHS the couple times I started watching a season was that I enjoyed it at first, but they just cram so much into each episode that by midway through the season I was kind of desensitized to it.
Photobucket sucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1158 on: November 29, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »
Last night I finally started watching American Horror Story. 9 seasons. Wow. 3 episodes into season 1 - loving it already.

Prepare for Jessica Lange to kick your ass!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: November 29, 2020, 03:14:48 PM »
Oh guys.. I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more, my kids are gonna be 6 years old next month, I started watching that first season about 3 month after their birth and I just finished it in June of 2020. That's how long it took me to be able to get myself to watch bits and pieces of it every time. And the viewing was really spread across 6 years, it's not like at any point I watched two episodes in the same month  :lol, actually I remember that only the first two episodes I watched in one sit down.

I always went in with the intention though, but always ended up quitting 10 or 15 minutes thinking "this is too fuckin stupid!" and shit; I can tolerate some stupid if it's a spectacle with colorful characters and fast pace but it had none of these things!

It felt like the show kept insisting "hey this is scary, but it's also very emotional" and I go "nope, it's neither" heh

And since you mentioned Jessica Lange; my fuckin God! That woman is only capable of two very similar expressions: 1- To look like she's about to cry but staying strong. 2- To look like she just cried off-screen and now she's strong. This is all she does, ALL the time!

The mom is annoying, the teenage daughter is annoying, the ghosts are annoying, and I love Quicksilver! But even he got annoying real fast. Everything in this season seems to have been designed to appeal to angsty teenagers.

Obvious question is why I kept watching, I did it cause at the time when I started; people were singing praises of the current season that was on, second or third season I'm not sure and I just wanted to start from the beginning.

I genuinely apologize, I never rain on parades like that, I usually keep my mouth shut, but this show specifically gets under my skin. And not in a good way.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: November 29, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
On the other hand, I'm up to episode 8 already (power went out and just came back on, gonna finish murder house tonight) and I'm loving the shit out of this  :lol there are some REALLY dumb moments, but this turns out to be one of the only times I enjoy horror style media
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: November 29, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »
Gotcha. And hey! That maid tho  :o
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1162 on: December 03, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
now considering watching The Leftovers.

I loved this series. It was executed really well. I will say that if you're looking for 'action' then this will disappoint you. This is all dialogue driven and character based.....which is done perfectly. There is also a ton of symbolism and a lot of mood and tone is captured by the settings their in and the soundtrack.

S1 is a bit 'slow' but then IMO S2 and S3 is some incredible stuff....especially acting.

Agree with everything said here, actually I really love S1 even with the slow pace of it. 3rd season is my absolute fav of the whole but yes I'd advise watching the show with no distractions, all character based drama with a ton of symbolism thrown in.

S3 was incredible.
Finished the first season last night and I really liked it. Just began S2 this morning, quite a change of things, curious to see how it unfolds :corn.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1163 on: December 03, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
Superstore gets cancelled (Season 6 will be its last). Sucks, even with America Ferrara leaving, it was a show my wife and I looked forward to every Thursday. Although when Young Sheldon got moved to 7PM, it created a conflict.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist returns on Tuesday January 5th

the new Mayim Bialik show Call Me Kat might be good, which premieres on January 3rd on FOX

and bummed to learn High Fidelity is not renewed for a 2nd season by HULU. My wife and I really enjoyed that reboot/reimagining which I think they had a lot more they could have done with.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1164 on: December 03, 2020, 09:53:27 PM »
now considering watching The Leftovers.

I loved this series. It was executed really well. I will say that if you're looking for 'action' then this will disappoint you. This is all dialogue driven and character based.....which is done perfectly. There is also a ton of symbolism and a lot of mood and tone is captured by the settings their in and the soundtrack.

S1 is a bit 'slow' but then IMO S2 and S3 is some incredible stuff....especially acting.

Agree with everything said here, actually I really love S1 even with the slow pace of it. 3rd season is my absolute fav of the whole but yes I'd advise watching the show with no distractions, all character based drama with a ton of symbolism thrown in.

S3 was incredible.
Finished the first season last night and I really liked it. Just began S2 this morning, quite a change of things, curious to see how it unfolds :corn.

I think you’re going to be happy you watched this show when it’s all said and done.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: December 04, 2020, 07:12:26 AM »
American Horror Story: Asylum is not as entertaining as Murder House so far, but, I'm only 3 episodes in. But I remember Murder House having me fully captivated by this point. I enjoy Jessica Lange's character but the rest of them are just so... whatever.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1166 on: December 04, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »
Asylum for me was the best season, but also the heaviest and the creepiest. I loved it, but I don't plan to watch it again. Some of that shit would haunt my nightmares.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1167 on: December 04, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »
I liked Asylum, but it was definitely weird.  Coven is probably my favorite season.  Freak Show was where they lost me initially.  I was one of few that liked Hotel and Roanoke.  Cult sucked, but Apocalypse and 1984 were great. 

Right now, I'm watching:

Law & Order SVU
MacGyver (starts tonight!)
The Mandalorian

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1168 on: December 05, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »
Checking out Doom Patrol on HBO/Max.

Then season 2 of Harley Quinn cartoon which I suggest for all. It's amazing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: December 05, 2020, 06:36:44 PM »
Okay, it took 5 episodes but I'm finally interested in Asylum. Getting good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1170 on: December 07, 2020, 06:31:49 AM »
Just watched the 11th season of Archer.   It's getting to be a trifle, in that the seasons are only eight episodes, and the content of each is maybe 20 minutes, but it's so damn entertaining. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1171 on: December 08, 2020, 11:59:37 PM »
Said to myself at 9:30....I’ll watch the first episode of ‘The Queens Gambit’ on Netflix. Am forcing myself to go to bed right now after hammering out four episodes. Really good show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1172 on: December 12, 2020, 03:08:25 PM »
Just starting Ted Lasso.

I am now on my 4th re-watch already. This has already become an all-time favorite show. Bill Lawrence (Spin City, Scrubs, etc) is just a master showrunner. Jason Sudeikis is a revelation. I have never thought much of him in terms of acting, but he is a tour-de-force in this. I am just stunned at how good he is.

And the 5th episode gets me every time. So gut-wrenchingly painful. Sudeikis deserves a best actor award for this show. Cannot wait for the next 2 seasons.

Plus, the dude that plays Roy is on the writing staff and is the executive story editor on the show. He also wrote that 5th episode. The guy that plays Coach Beard is also a writer on the show and a co-creator. Super talented crew.

Oh, and I hate soccer, but this show is just amazing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1173 on: December 13, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »
Started watching To the Lake and it's right up my alley. Russian post-apocalyptic sci-fi, thx you very much!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1174 on: December 13, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »
Have watched the first two episodes of Your Honor on HBO. Bryan Cranston plays a judge whose son is involved in a hit and run. Really good so far.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1175 on: December 15, 2020, 09:40:36 PM »
I’m up to season 6 of Burn Notice and....

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

:panicattack:

And there’s still 6 episodes left!!! I feel like there’s been a “season ending cliff hanger” at least 5 times in the first 12 episodes!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1176 on: December 16, 2020, 03:46:04 PM »
Have watched the first two episodes of Your Honor on HBO. Bryan Cranston plays a judge whose son is involved in a hit and run. Really good so far.

I am watching this strictly because of Bryan Cranston.  I am enjoying so far, but I have a bad feeling it is goin to get predictable and/or very contrived.  Just a bad hunch. I hope I am wrong.  As usual, his acting has been tremendous.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1177 on: December 21, 2020, 06:59:42 AM »
Between a Xmas movie and the other, I decided to burn through some english comedy; I finally finished The Thick of It, of which years ago I watched the first two series and then never came back to it, so I did a rewatch and finally concluded yesterday all the four series. The creator is the same as Veep so if you want political humour, you just have to see a series that is 90% Peter Capaldi angrily cussing at people.

Also I'm chugging through all the episodes of The Inbetweeners (three series of six 30' episodes each), a coming of age comedy about four guys in high school or whatever the equivalent for England is. Very funny stuff.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1178 on: December 21, 2020, 07:40:48 AM »
Between a Xmas movie and the other, I decided to burn through some english comedy; I finally finished The Thick of It, of which years ago I watched the first two series and then never came back to it, so I did a rewatch and finally concluded yesterday all the four series. The creator is the same as Veep so if you want political humour, you just have to see a series that is 90% Peter Capaldi angrily cussing at people.

Also I'm chugging through all the episodes of The Inbetweeners (three series of six 30' episodes each), a coming of age comedy about four guys in high school or whatever the equivalent for England is. Very funny stuff.
Two excellent choices!  :tup I would also recommend Peep Show if you haven't seen it before.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1179 on: December 21, 2020, 08:06:07 AM »
mrs.jingle and I just wrapped up S2 of The Kominsky Method.  Basically, Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin as the Odd Couple.  Really great stuff, and terrific supporting cast.  Next comedy up ... Schitt's Creek.  That'll keep us occupied for a while.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1180 on: December 21, 2020, 10:29:38 AM »
Watched the 1st 2 episodes of DC's Titans.  It's an adult version of Teen Titans.  So for I like it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: December 25, 2020, 05:24:43 AM »
Late to the party, but I started The Crown last night. Such a great show, and really well done.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1182 on: December 29, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
My wife shelled out for HBO Max so we could watch WW84, so I started watching The Flight Attendant with Kaley Cuoco.  It's a mini-series (8 episodes of 40+ minutes), although I guess that term has fallen out of vogue.

The most surprising thing is that I don't feel like I'm watching Penny from Big Bang Theory.  Cuoco plays an alcoholic flight attendant who fucks a passenger in a hotel in Bangkok.  She wakes up the next morning next to the guy's dead body and has no memory of what happened (this is all in the first 10-15 minutes of the first episode).  What follows is the unraveling of what happened.

It's a pretty good little mystery that reminds me a bit of the first few John Grisham movies back in the 90s.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1183 on: December 29, 2020, 11:52:50 AM »
i'm in full Norwegian mode:

- Season 3 of Norsemen, sitcom about vikings with a care for detail worth of the actual Vikings show
- Season 2 of Home for Christmas, a norwegian romantic comedy about a woman fed up with the "what about a boyfriend" family talks set to find one (lovely visuals all around!)
- Season 1 of Lilyhammer, with Bruce Springsteen's guitarist, Steve Van Zandt, getting bored of the rock n' roll lifestyle and moving to Lillehammer to start a shady life  ;D (nah, kiddin', he plays the part of a mafia guy relocated for witness protection)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1184 on: January 08, 2021, 07:19:42 AM »
I was trying to get into Designated Survivor the other day but oh man, I don't think a show about the White House has felt so fictitious like this right now.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1185 on: January 08, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »
I was trying to get into Designated Survivor the other day. . . .

I just read that the first episode set some sort of record for number of DVR viewers.  Not sure how that's tracked.  The show also lost 20% of its first episode viewership and, after the fourth episode, never did better than 60% of the first episode viewership.  My wife and I contributed to that.  We watched the first episode and maybe the second and thought, ok...now what?  Interesting concept, but it seemed like it might be better for a movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1186 on: January 08, 2021, 11:15:59 AM »

I just read that the first episode set some sort of record for number of DVR viewers.  Not sure how that's tracked.  The show also lost 20% of its first episode viewership and, after the fourth episode, never did better than 60% of the first episode viewership.  My wife and I contributed to that.  We watched the first episode and maybe the second and thought, ok...now what?  Interesting concept, but it seemed like it might be better for a movie.
I enjoyed it also but kinda left the show some time ago and tried to get into it again but Kirkman just felt like an alien to me in todays climate.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1187 on: January 08, 2021, 11:26:21 AM »

I guess you're right, I'm watching when I have nothing else to watch but the premise - the designated survivor turns out to, d'uh, survive and now finds himself president - is better explored in a movie.

I mean, I started to watch it just to see how they would delve into the premise - first scene, the guy is in a basement watching the State of the Union, then static on TV, the secret service rushes in and takes him to the White House. I wanted to see more of the panic and the uncertainty about what happened, a "what? a plane crashed in the Twin Towers? for real? was it an accident?" kind of thing, but no, 10 minutes into the first episode he's sworn in as president.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1188 on: January 08, 2021, 11:34:13 AM »
I watched S1 as it aired, then lost track of it during our move a couple of years back.  I've been meaning to carve out the time to watch S2 and S3.  I found it to be a very good crime drama.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1189 on: January 11, 2021, 09:37:10 AM »
Finished the second season of Dirk Gently. I liked the first better.

And I'm two episodes away from finishing the first season of Ozark. Looks veeeery good.