Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 217018 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1120 on: November 16, 2020, 12:29:00 PM »
- Snowpiercer.... I watched the movie and so I thought "why not" about the series. It starts kinda meh, there's a whodunnit mystery and once it gets out of the way, things get really going. So if you want to watch it and the first two-three episodes don't seem that great.... hold on, the series take its stride after the beginning and goes on to a fantastic crescendo and a great final episode. Jennifer Connelly is BY FAR the very best thing about this, her character is awesome and she's so expressive with just her eyes. She can be nice, she can be hot, she can be intimidating, she can be sweet and she can be cruel. She carries the show and outshines every other actor on the cast.

Never saw the movie and I started the series. I got about....I think 6-7 episodes in and just lost track of it. Let them build up on my DVR and never returned to it. It didn't capture my attention at all. Although I agree that Jennifer Connelly is stunning to watch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1121 on: November 16, 2020, 01:11:40 PM »
Picked up the Tudors and finished season 1 and started season 2.  I'm losing interest. 

Started The Queen's Gambit and will move onto the Crown, Season 4 once I finish it.

Watching Next on Fox....though they haven't aired any episodes for 3 weeks and the series was already cancelled.   >:(    Another episode airs tomorrow...this is why I hate network tv. 

Law & Order SVU started last week.  I got annoyed with the fact that they wrote COVID into the show, which allowed the characters to wear masks as they worked/acted.  I want to watch TV and not have to think about what's happening in the world.  They also had the case involve the anti-police element that has been "ripped from the headlines," like they usually do.  It was too much of the current events, too soon for me.   I still love the show, just didn't like the episode.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1122 on: November 16, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »
- Snowpiercer.... I watched the movie and so I thought "why not" about the series. It starts kinda meh, there's a whodunnit mystery and once it gets out of the way, things get really going. So if you want to watch it and the first two-three episodes don't seem that great.... hold on, the series take its stride after the beginning and goes on to a fantastic crescendo and a great final episode. Jennifer Connelly is BY FAR the very best thing about this, her character is awesome and she's so expressive with just her eyes. She can be nice, she can be hot, she can be intimidating, she can be sweet and she can be cruel. She carries the show and outshines every other actor on the cast.

Never saw the movie and I started the series. I got about....I think 6-7 episodes in and just lost track of it. Let them build up on my DVR and never returned to it. It didn't capture my attention at all. Although I agree that Jennifer Connelly is stunning to watch.

Every time I hear about how hot Jennifer Connelly is, I do a google image search and come away feeling like she looks a lot like a guy in drag.  Very mannish features.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1123 on: November 16, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
Watching Next on Fox....though they haven't aired any episodes for 3 weeks and the series was already cancelled.   >:(    Another episode airs tomorrow...this is why I hate network tv. 

I'm not sure there's a good reason for the connection, but this post reminded me of American Ninja Warrior.  Anyone else watch that show?

For anyone who doesn't know, American Ninja Warrior is a a competition where the competitors try to complete obstacle courses that range in difficulty from pretty damn hard to "are you fucking kidding me?!"  It's based on a Japanese show called Sasuke.  ANW has been around for just over ten years.  Competitors start at regional competitions and then progress to regional finals and national finals, which, except for this year and the first couple seasons, have been held in Las Vegas.  The national finals is divided into four stages, and only those who finish a stage move on to the next one.  In the show's history, only three competitors have finished stage 4, two in 2015 and one in 2019.  The guy who won in 2019 is named Drew Drechsel.

Because of COVID, the 2020 season had a changed format, with all of the preliminary and finals stages being held in a "bubble" (in St. Louis), and the format was changed significantly.

The reason I'm writing about this is because, in August -- two weeks after completing the taping of the 2020 season -- Drechsel was arrested on suspicion of a bunch of icky child sex charges.  My wife and I didn't know about this until most of the way through the 2020 season.  We wondered why we weren't seeing Drechsel compete and though it may have had something to do with COVID or him taking a year off after winning last year.  Even more strange than him not competing was the fact that he wasn't even mentioned in the broadcast.  Nor was he shown on screens rooting for some of his competitor friends (just about everyone had friends and fellow "ninjas" shown on screens rooting for them remotely).  So...we looked it up...

I just thought it was REALLY odd that he competed (and apparently did fairly well) but NBC just completely erased his participation from history.  NBC did issue a press release about cutting ties and condemning what he's alleged to have done (blah...blah...political correctness), but to pretend that he didn't compete just doesn't sit well with me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1124 on: November 16, 2020, 02:06:51 PM »
He's got a gym in Connecticut so I've heard about this.  It's an icky story, and he's got a lot of 'splaining to do, but nonetheless, he was simply CHARGED; he has not been convicted of any crime yet.   

Having said that, he supposedly had sex with the girl here in CT when she was 15.  She told her mom, who confronted him; he didn't deny it but said he didn't know her age (doesn't matter).   But they somehow reconvened their relationship and it continued on until she was 19, at which time she filed a complaint in NJ.   But CT and NJ have age of consent at 16, so it seems like a lot of the behavior is creepy but may not be illegal. 

I've got little tolerance for people that prey on our youth like this, but I don't feel right about scrubbing him entirely based only on accusations. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1125 on: November 16, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
I've got little tolerance for people that prey on our youth like this, but I don't feel right about scrubbing him entirely based only on accusations.

That's where I come out (and I've read a couple articles, as well as a few of the documents on Pacer, which are even worse).  I don't like the idea of scrubbing him even if he were convicted.  Is the Super Bowl 46 highlight video being edited and re-released without any mention of Aaron Hernandez?  Of course not.  I know this is different because it's not a live event, but I don't view that as an important distinction.  Say that he participated and that you're choosing not to air any of his footage.  That way there's no appearance of trying to hide something.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: November 17, 2020, 07:29:56 AM »

That's where I come out (and I've read a couple articles, as well as a few of the documents on Pacer, which are even worse).  I don't like the idea of scrubbing him even if he were convicted.  Is the Super Bowl 46 highlight video being edited and re-released without any mention of Aaron Hernandez? Of course not.  I know this is different because it's not a live event, but I don't view that as an important distinction.  Say that he participated and that you're choosing not to air any of his footage.  That way there's no appearance of trying to hide something.

Don't give anyone any ideas!    :) :) :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1127 on: November 17, 2020, 08:01:19 AM »

jingle.son told me it was shyte, so I never bothered.  But yeah, Jennifer Connelly is da bomb.  She'd probably make my 'list'.

@ pg... what in the actual fuck??  :lol   TASTESTM!!!

RE: Drew Dreschel... I'd been wondering about him myself as I watched the 2020 season the last couple months.  Frankly, I'm fine with a any entity distancing themselves from controversy... even alleged controversy.  They don't want to take the focus off the current athletes.  It's why any public figure in any kind of controversy more often than not resigns/steps down/goes on unpaid leave etc...  Let the process play out, if he's absolved, then address it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: November 17, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
If it matters, I'm with PG on Jennifer Connolly.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1129 on: November 17, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »
*shrug* tastes are tastes, but - nevermind that she's 10 years older than me - I would gladly, ehr, "snowpierce" through her when I was her age in Labyrinth, when she was a woman in her 30s, and right now that she's 50.

Not that I fanboy over her or anything, but I've always found her a beautiful woman. Surely you can find dozens better than her, but if one day she knocks at my door, she doesn't get turned away.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1130 on: November 17, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
*shrug* tastes are tastes, but - nevermind that she's 10 years older than me - I would gladly, ehr, "snowpierce" through her when I was her age in Labyrinth, when she was a woman in her 30s, and right now that she's 50.

Not that I fanboy over her or anything, but I've always found her a beautiful woman. Surely you can find dozens better than her, but if one day she knocks at my door, she doesn't get turned away.

Celebrities get judged through celebrity lenses (i.e., if she were the woman in the office next to me and not a celeb, I'd probably gawk at her regularly).  But...I googled "jennifer connolly labyrinth" and basically got pictures of Demi Moore.

Around 20 years ago, there was a low budget game show called Dog Eat Dog.  One thing they occasionally did on the show was to bring out five drag queens and one actual woman and make the contestants guess which one was the woman.  If this woman had come out with an outfit that covered her neck, I guarantee folks would've assumed she was a dude:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1131 on: November 19, 2020, 03:13:33 AM »
Every time I hear about how hot Jennifer Connelly is, I do a google image search and come away feeling like she looks a lot like a guy in drag.  Very mannish features.

Just watch The Rocketeer.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #1132 on: November 19, 2020, 08:55:21 AM »

[/quote]

Peter Steele?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1133 on: November 19, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: November 19, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »
Peter Steele?

Who?

HAHAHA.  That's actually funny (the Peter Steele reference, not your reaction).   He was the (now deceased) lead singer/bassist/writer for Type O Negative.  It should be noted he was a 6'8" body builder, too.   I don't think she's THAT manly, but still; she's a little angular for my tastes.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: November 19, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »
Just started season 4 of Blacklist!  Love the show!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1136 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »

Just watch The Rocketeer.
That just means she was attractive 30 years ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1137 on: November 23, 2020, 02:08:16 PM »
Jennifer Connelly is the kind of beautiful you would get if you took me and added at least 2 points on the scale of symmetry, elegance and refinement, so I'm honestly a little offended on her behalf :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: November 23, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »
Jennifer Connelly is the kind of beautiful you would get if you took me and added at least 2 points on the scale of symmetry, elegance and refinement, so I'm honestly a little offended on her behalf :lol

I'm not sure what these guys are talking about.....30  years ago or yesterday.....she's a beautiful woman.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: November 23, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
Well, now I feel bad.  She's not GROSS or anything, and there are picture of her where she's gorgeous, but for me, it's a gut thing.  I google, and if I have to wade through to find the "hot" pictures, then I have to wonder if it's makeup, or the role, or whatever.    I'm comparing to, say, the episode of "Person Of Interest" where Sarah Shahi got shot and was in a safe house by herself, all sweaty and covered in dirt and blood and all I could think was "wow, she's pretty hot."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1140 on: November 23, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »
Sarah Shahi could possibly be one of the world's top 10 most beautiful and all-round-appealing women :angel:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: November 23, 2020, 03:19:37 PM »
Sarah Shahi could possibly be one of the world's top 10 most beautiful and all-round-appealing women :angel:

Google'd her. She certainly is cute.....but she's just the modern day Vanessa Marcel. Who I had a massive crush on back in the day.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1142 on: November 24, 2020, 04:24:47 AM »
Well, now I feel bad.  She's not GROSS or anything, and there are picture of her where she's gorgeous, but for me, it's a gut thing. 

That's a new one, some guys like tits, some ass, some faces....but your the first gut guy I'd heard off  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1143 on: November 24, 2020, 05:40:12 AM »
fired up the first episode of The Kominsky Method.  Really good stuff.  I've always loved Alan Arkin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1144 on: November 24, 2020, 06:32:17 AM »
I finally finished watching The Prisoner, now considering watching The Leftovers.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1145 on: November 24, 2020, 06:43:49 AM »
His Dark Materials. This sucks so much ass.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: November 24, 2020, 07:23:32 AM »

I'm a sucker for a pretty smile.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: November 24, 2020, 07:23:55 AM »
Well, now I feel bad.  She's not GROSS or anything, and there are picture of her where she's gorgeous, but for me, it's a gut thing. 

That's a new one, some guys like tits, some ass, some faces....but your the first gut guy I'd heard off  :biggrin:

HAHA.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: November 24, 2020, 07:42:11 AM »
now considering watching The Leftovers.

I loved this series. It was executed really well. I will say that if you're looking for 'action' then this will disappoint you. This is all dialogue driven and character based.....which is done perfectly. There is also a ton of symbolism and a lot of mood and tone is captured by the settings their in and the soundtrack.

S1 is a bit 'slow' but then IMO S2 and S3 is some incredible stuff....especially acting.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1149 on: November 24, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
Great to know! Seems it might be up my alley then. I'll give the first episode a try soon.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1150 on: November 24, 2020, 12:51:13 PM »

I loved this series. It was executed really well. I will say that if you're looking for 'action' then this will disappoint you. This is all dialogue driven and character based.....which is done perfectly. There is also a ton of symbolism and a lot of mood and tone is captured by the settings their in and the soundtrack.

S1 is a bit 'slow' but then IMO S2 and S3 is some incredible stuff....especially acting.

Agree with everything said here, actually I really love S1 even with the slow pace of it. 3rd season is my absolute fav of the whole but yes I'd advise watching the show with no distractions, all character based drama with a ton of symbolism thrown in.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: November 24, 2020, 02:26:56 PM »

Agree with everything said here, actually I really love S1 even with the slow pace of it. 3rd season is my absolute fav of the whole but yes I'd advise watching the show with no distractions, all character based drama with a ton of symbolism thrown in.

S3 was incredible.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1152 on: November 24, 2020, 03:17:04 PM »
His Dark Materials. This sucks so much ass.

You know, I was just saying to my wife this morning, "I don't know what it is—the show is beautiful to watch, wonderfully acted, and super intriguing—but I just don't get it."

I'm enjoying it, but I feel like I'm missing something.....maybe a lack of familiarity with the source material?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1153 on: November 24, 2020, 03:18:18 PM »
Same here. I watched it, took me like 6 episodes to realize it was The Golden Compass  :lol, recognized the immense quality behind all of this, and yet it left me just meh. I can see for myself that it's been done very good, but it just didn't grab me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1154 on: November 26, 2020, 12:46:56 PM »
Still in an extensive binge watch of Burn Notice. Currently I’m just getting into the first third of Season 5 and my son had to remind me that the Sam Axe prequel movie needs to be watched right about now, so I might watch that this weekend.

But right now I’m watching the live MST3K Turkey Day marathon on the Shout TV channel on my Roku. EDIT - It’s my understanding that Mary Jo will be making an appearance as Pearl during the host segments between movies. Now playing: Pod People. Next up: Carnival Magic
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude