Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 217259 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1015 on: September 09, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »
- Hell on Wheels.  As a Star Trek fan it's extra fun watching 'new' Pike take on Chief O'Brien.  It's a pretty decent western show, not as good as Deadwood but still worth a look.
- Cobra Kai.  Just pretty awesome, all the praise is worthy.
- Agents of Shield.  Just finished Season 4.  I enjoy it but each Season has a lull.
- The Boys.  Just started rewatching Season 1 before dipping into the new Season, it's a great show.
- Away.  Watched the first two episodes, not sure I'll continue -to much boring drama, not enough Sci-fi.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1016 on: September 09, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
- Hell on Wheels.  As a Star Trek fan it's extra fun watching 'new' Pike take on Chief O'Brien.  It's a pretty decent western show, not as good as Deadwood but still worth a

Yeah, this was a good one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1017 on: September 09, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »
I'm sort of over the "stand-up comedian as social commentator", except on the most basic of subjects.  The last one I watched along those lines was the Dave Chappell one and the one before that was Whitney Cummings.   OK funny, but it just started to have the faint whiff of political rally, and I'm just not interested in that.   

I long for the days of Seinfeld and his "The cellphone.  Why do we call it a phone, when no one uses it to call?" bits.

But comedians are best at pointing out the absurdity of things, and there's a whole lot of absurdity out there (politically) right now. If you're watching stand-up and hoping not to get political commentary, you're looking at the wrong comedians. Maybe try Brian Regan, or Jim Gaffigan (well, until recently when they finally broke him, lol), or Kevin Hart even.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: September 09, 2020, 08:47:03 AM »
I'm sort of over the "stand-up comedian as social commentator", except on the most basic of subjects.  The last one I watched along those lines was the Dave Chappell one and the one before that was Whitney Cummings.   OK funny, but it just started to have the faint whiff of political rally, and I'm just not interested in that.   

I long for the days of Seinfeld and his "The cellphone.  Why do we call it a phone, when no one uses it to call?" bits.

But comedians are best at pointing out the absurdity of things, and there's a whole lot of absurdity out there (politically) right now. If you're watching stand-up and hoping not to get political commentary, you're looking at the wrong comedians. Maybe try Brian Regan, or Jim Gaffigan (well, until recently when they finally broke him, lol), or Kevin Hart even.

While I agree......the issue for me is that the large majority of comedians are essentially 'Democrat/liberal' for lack of a better term.....so the routine involves a heavy dose of ripping on the 'Republican/conservative'. Not a lot of even commentary or jokes across the board about both sides....which as a conservative person gets a bit old and makes me roll my eyes. I'm fine with political banter and jokes but lets not pretend that the 'left' doesn't supply plenty of material to craft jokes about.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: September 09, 2020, 08:59:37 AM »

While I agree......the issue for me is that the large majority of comedians are essentially 'Democrat/liberal' for lack of a better term.....so the routine involves a heavy dose of ripping on the 'Republican/conservative'. Not a lot of even commentary or jokes across the board about both sides....which as a conservative person gets a bit old and makes me roll my eyes. I'm fine with political banter and jokes but lets not pretend that the 'left' doesn't supply plenty of material to craft jokes about.

To be fair though there are plenty of amazing, hilarious conservative comedians. Adam Carolla (though I think he disputes this), Nick DiPaolo, Jeff Dunham, Anthony Cumia, etc... Although the field largely - enormously - skews left, they're definitely out there. But (and maybe it's just me) comedy lends itself very well to the freedom of thought and welcoming of diversity that the left prides itself on, unlike conservative ideology, which could strongly explain the disparity. Comedians don't care what you look like, how old you are, your sexual orientation, financial status, your education, etc... only that you're funny. Those far left comedians who think just insulting conservatives 'cause they don't adopt their ideology are pretty awful and usually horribly unfunny though, yeah. Hopefully they don't dominate the industry.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:17:18 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1020 on: September 09, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »

To be fair though there are plenty of amazing, hilarious conservative comedians. Adam Carolla (though I think he disputes this), Nick DiPaolo, Jeff Dunham, Anthony Cumia, etc... Although the field largely - enormously - skews left, they're definitely out there. But (and maybe it's just me) comedy lends itself very well to the freedom of thought and welcoming of diversity that the left prides itself on, unlike conservative ideology, which could strongly explain the disparity. Comedians don't care what you look like, how old you are, your sexual orientation, financial status, your education, etc... only that you're funny. Those far left comedians who think just insulting conservatives 'cause they don't adopt their ideology are pretty awful and usually horribly unfunny though, yeah. Hopefully they don't dominate the industry.

And that's where I think I disagree, because I think they do care...  that kind of comedy is inherently about the "us" and "them".   As funny as he was, when I saw Carlin, there was a very distinct vibe of "us" and "them".   I was working for GE at the time, corporate behemoth, and I remember after the show having a drink with my boss, and he said "that was pretty funny, considering he was making fun of us the entire time."   He's not too too bad, so I'm not talking about him, but part of the Chappell mystique is the reaction TO Chappell.   He gets evaluated on his "eviscerating" or "destroying" a particular take on things, and I'm sorry, you don't "eviscerate" or "destroy" something you don't care about (or, going further, that you respect, even if it's on just a human acknowledgement level). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: September 09, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »

And that's where I think I disagree, because I think they do care...  that kind of comedy is inherently about the "us" and "them".   As funny as he was, when I saw Carlin, there was a very distinct vibe of "us" and "them".   I was working for GE at the time, corporate behemoth, and I remember after the show having a drink with my boss, and he said "that was pretty funny, considering he was making fun of us the entire time."   He's not too too bad, so I'm not talking about him, but part of the Chappell mystique is the reaction TO Chappell.   He gets evaluated on his "eviscerating" or "destroying" a particular take on things, and I'm sorry, you don't "eviscerate" or "destroy" something you don't care about (or, going further, that you respect, even if it's on just a human acknowledgement level).

Not ignoring the rest of your post, but this is the line that stuck out to me. I'm not really sure how to respond to that, but instead need to ruminate on it. Very good food for thought.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: September 09, 2020, 06:53:47 PM »
Just finished season 1 of "Away"  I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1023 on: September 10, 2020, 01:55:11 AM »
I'm in the middle of Season 4 of The Office. Where have this show been all my life?  :lol

Also I'm seeing Season 4 of Bojack Horseman. Holy shit the "Free Churro" episode. The one with the eulogy. Absolutely mindblowing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: September 11, 2020, 11:42:34 PM »
I feel like I'm missing out on Bojack Horseman, what with all the great reviews and me being addicted to adult animated comedies, but I just can't get past the animals; something about talking animals who act and live as humans throws me off to the point of aggravation. Like I don't mind Disney stuff, or anything where there's talking animals as long as they're still operating living in their own environments or as pets, but you put suits and dresses on them and have them live in houses and I'm just put off.
Which is a good segue to the another thing I cannot stand because I've never seen an interesting non-cheesy portrayal of it: anything that deals with magic or wizardry. I bring this up cause I started watching HBO's Lovecraft Country, which started out pretty great and looked like it was heading into a LOST kinda territory, but 3 episodes in and it turns out to be a high budget, R rated version of Charmed, or Buffy or Grimm, or Supernatural, etc.
But I'm gonna see this season through since I'm watching with the misses and I don't like to drop out on her like that.

I'm currently watching:
Dramas: HBO's Perry Mason and Lovecraft Country.
Comedy: Rewatch of Simpsons and Southpark, usually an episode of either, every night in bed.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1025 on: September 12, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »
Well, I can see your point; the fact that it was this wacky hybrid animation didn't really convince me at first, and I thought it wasn't my thing at all; but I started watching it and eventually I got past it. The writing is so good that eventually the fact that they're all humanoid animals becomes just a detail.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: September 12, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
‘Raised by Wolves’ on HBO Max is pretty good if you’re in to SciFi

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1027 on: September 14, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
Going old school again.

Currently binge watching The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

I just freaking ADORE this show, and I was never able to get the wife to watch it back when I bought it. Now we’re 14 shows in and I think she’s hooked.

I think next it will be time for a rewatch of Nowhere Man!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1028 on: September 14, 2020, 11:49:47 AM »

This Nowhere Man - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere_Man_(American_TV_series) ??

My wife and I watched this series and LOVED it but then were PISSED about how the season ended.  And then they didn't renew it, which pissed us off even more.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1029 on: September 14, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »

This Nowhere Man - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere_Man_(American_TV_series) ??

My wife and I watched this series and LOVED it but then were PISSED about how the season ended.  And then they didn't renew it, which pissed us off even more.

That link is busted. But if it’s the show from the 90s with Bruce Greenwood, then yes that’s the one.

I was a huge fan while it was on the air for its initial run. TV Guide even ran a cover story at the time in an attempt to save the show because it was such a critical darling.  I can’t remember exactly why it didn’t get renewed. I think the ratings were good, but someone in the offices of Fox didn’t think it was up to expectations. They had a habit of doing that to a lot of shows through the 90s and early 2000s. Firefly being another perfect example.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1030 on: September 14, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
Does anyone here remember Brisco County Jr? It was one of Bruce Campbell‘s early break out roles. Brilliant blend of Comedy/Western (slightly campy like Maverick or Wild Wild West the TV show) mixed with a sci-fi element with maybe just a touch of steampunk thrown in. Just a really fun show. A shame that it was another critical darling that only lasted one season.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1031 on: September 14, 2020, 01:37:37 PM »
That link is busted. But if it’s the show from the 90s with Bruce Greenwood, then yes that’s the one.

I was a huge fan while it was on the air for its initial run. TV Guide even ran a cover story at the time in an attempt to save the show because it was such a critical darling.  I can’t remember exactly why it didn’t get renewed. I think the ratings were good, but someone in the offices of Fox didn’t think it was up to expectations. They had a habit of doing that to a lot of shows through the 90s and early 2000s. Firefly being another perfect example.

Hmmm...not sure why the link didn't work, but yeah, we're talking about the same show.

Here's a (hopefully working) link to the TV Guide cover:  http://www.vidiot.com/UPN/images/NM/tvguide951104a.jpg  "This season's coolest hit" (and a nice shot of Brooke Shields to boot).

Is the show available to stream somewhere?

Does anyone here remember Brisco County Jr? It was one of Bruce Campbell‘s early break out roles. Brilliant blend of Comedy/Western (slightly campy like Maverick or Wild Wild West the TV show) mixed with a sci-fi element with maybe just a touch of steampunk thrown in. Just a really fun show. A shame that it was another critical darling that only lasted one season.

I never watched it, but I want to say that my mother did.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1032 on: September 14, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »
Re: Nowhere Man

I’m not sure. I bought the DVDs when they came out and I’ve had them ever since.

.....and that’s exactly why I will always prefer physical media.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1033 on: September 14, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »

I’m not sure. I bought the DVDs when they came out and I’ve had them ever since.

Agree!

Online faizoff

« Reply #1034 on: September 14, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »

Agree!

Preach! regarding physical media. I collect a lot and enjoy the hell out of it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: September 15, 2020, 06:16:45 AM »

Hmmm...not sure why the link didn't work, but yeah, we're talking about the same show.

Here's a (hopefully working) link to the TV Guide cover:  http://www.vidiot.com/UPN/images/NM/tvguide951104a.jpg  "This season's coolest hit" (and a nice shot of Brooke Shields to boot).

Is the show available to stream somewhere?

I never watched it, but I want to say that my mother did.

I'm a HUGE fan of Brooke Shields, and always have been. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: September 15, 2020, 07:25:26 AM »
Saw the first episode of The Third Day and this seems to be right around my alley right now. :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: September 15, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »

One caveat:  During a recent rewatch of Babylon 5, I discovered several of my DVDs had succumbed to disc rot.  I ended up buying the series digitally on Vudu. 
(Surprise bonus: the Vudu episodes were in the original aspect ratio!)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1038 on: September 15, 2020, 09:29:09 AM »

One caveat:  During a recent rewatch of Babylon 5, I discovered several of my DVDs had succumbed to disc rot.  I ended up buying the series digitally on Vudu. 
(Surprise bonus: the Vudu episodes were in the original aspect ratio!)

I keep hearing about “disc rot” but I’ve never experienced it. Even the CDs I bought in 1988 still play as well as they did when I bought them 32 years ago.

My first DVD was The Matrix which I purchased in the summer of 1998, and it still plays perfectly as well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1039 on: September 15, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
I keep hearing about “disc rot” but I’ve never experienced it. Even the CDs I bought in 1988 still play as well as they did when I bought them 32 years ago.

I've never heard about it nor experienced it.

My first DVD was The Matrix which I purchased in the summer of 1998, and it still plays perfectly as well.

That's unfortunate.  ;-)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: September 15, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »
I've thankfully avoided that as well, I think. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1041 on: September 15, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
I have never heard of disc rot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1042 on: September 15, 2020, 12:15:17 PM »
I did have one CD rot several years ago. It looked like fungi on the CD.

I've had some discs not play after a few years with no visible scratches.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1043 on: September 15, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »
I have never heard of disc rot.

I only read a theoretical article about it years ago. Supposedly the components that make up a CD or a DVD can and will deteriorate over time. The initial study that I saw said that most CDs won’t last beyond 20 to 30 years. But I’ve got a few that have lasted beyond that and show no signs of wear.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: September 15, 2020, 12:49:04 PM »
It's essentially oxidation of the aluminum layer of the CD.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: September 16, 2020, 08:07:12 AM »
Saw the first episode of The Third Day and this seems to be right around my alley right now. :tup

Just watched that first episode last night and I really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to see how this plays out.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: September 16, 2020, 12:44:31 PM »
I suspect poor manufacturing, because it so far has only affected my Babylon 5 discs, but multiple episodes across different discs from different seasons will no longer play.  :(  (And, of course, it tends to be the best/most important episodes that are affected.)  I've seen lots of comments on it from other B5 fans, but very little elsewhere.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1047 on: September 19, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »
Got caught up on The Boys and decided to take a shot at For All Mankind and Apple TV+. My wife just got a new iPhone and we got a year for free and I found out that this is an alternate history show run by Ronald D. Moore. Essentially, Russia was first to the moon and this show imagines the aftermath. Not really Sci-Fi, just alternate straight up history. Few episodes in and I don't want to stop so I am enjoying it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1048 on: September 29, 2020, 03:16:27 PM »
Started Sharp Objects because it was in my "to watch" list and I don't even remember how, when and why it ended up there. Saw first two episodes however and it's really nice and atmospheric, it really paints a visual scenery and reels you in.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1049 on: October 02, 2020, 04:17:37 AM »
Started Sharp Objects because it was in my "to watch" list and I don't even remember how, when and why it ended up there. Saw first two episodes however and it's really nice and atmospheric, it really paints a visual scenery and reels you in.

Holy shit this is amazing. I'm gonna finish the last two episodes tonight. Brilliant and wonderful bleak atmospheres. Reading comments online I've seen it described as "True Detective meets Big Little Lies" and it's not that far. The mood is similar to the first season of True Detective, and the BLL comparison probably comes from having more women involved. Amy Adams is absolutely brilliant in this.

As I said, I totally don't remember why it ended on my watch list, but whoever suggested it (if it was a suggestion) was right!