Author Topic: JP wants to use 8 string guitar on next DT album  (Read 7390 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
JP wants to use 8 string guitar on next DT album
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:31:20 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_petrucci_im_working_on_integrating_8-string_guitars_into_new_dream_theater_music.html

Well that's definitly something new, I would like to hear some very lows from JP ;) maybe not djent, but 8 string guitar gives many possibilities, not only very low tuning ;)

Online mikeyd23

Re: JP wants to use 8 string guitar on next DT album
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
I think Ultimate Guitar just yanked this from another interview, can't remember which one, maybe the one with the Captain. But I remember JP saying this word for word previously.

Anyways, I like how the 7 string inspired him on Awake, so I'm hoping they get him an 8 string before/during the writing for the next album, different flavors are always nice. That said, I don't see him going straight djent because he has eight strings, I see him utilizing it in a manner similar to the 7, and still maintaining his style, just with an extended range. Meaning he'll probably use it for some heavy stuff but also a lot of clean arpeggiated chord stuff as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »
Yeah, that was posted before and has been discussed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »
I think Ultimate Guitar just yanked this from another interview, can't remember which one, maybe the one with the Captain. But I remember JP saying this word for word previously.

Anyways, I like how the 7 string inspired him on Awake, so I'm hoping they get him an 8 string before/during the writing for the next album, different flavors are always nice. That said, I don't see him going straight djent because he has eight strings, I see him utilizing it in a manner similar to the 7, and still maintaining his style, just with an extended range. Meaning he'll probably use it for some heavy stuff but also a lot of clean arpeggiated chord stuff as well.

Yeah, what mikeyd23 said.

I don't see 8 string guitar = djent, as some people do. A good example is Haken, both of their guitarists use 8 string guitars and their music is not the djent cliche sound that lots of people complain about.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
Yeah, that was posted before and has been discussed.
Yeah, sorry bout doubling the topic. I found discussion aboit it in DT14 album thread.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
might as well just get that music-man baritone scale bass guitar.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »
It'd be interesting to see what he comes up with. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few djent riffs but I imagine it will be more for extended range in general. As said above 8 strings doesn't automatically mean djent.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
To be honest, I would love to hear some heavy riffs in Awake style. I miss that metal side of DT after The Astonishing.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »

I don't see 8 string guitar = djent, as some people do. A good example is Haken, both of their guitarists use 8 string guitars and their music is not the djent cliche sound that lots of people complain about.

Also, I believe Scale the Summit tastefully explores the 8 string range.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
If there's anyone that can actually "play" an 8-string with definition and such and not just chunk on the low end like you're stuck in the mud it's JP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »

Also, I believe Scale the Summit tastefully explores the 8 string range.

Actually, they haven't. Chris Letchford said he got his first 8 string not so long ago, and couldn't complete a song with it for the latest album, so he hasn't used it on any STS song yet. But, still, I agree that STS is a good example of using extended range guitars and not goong full djent.

If there's anyone that can actually "play" an 8-string with definition and such and not just chunk on the low end like you're stuck in the mud it's JP.

I agree, JP would never fall into the "chugga chugga - nothing else" realm, he's a very tasteful player with a big sense of melody.

What I don't really get is why JP stopped using his baritone guitars after BC&SL. He could use them more for down tuned stuff without the need of an 8 string guitar.

might as well just get that music-man baritone scale bass guitar.

I could be wrong, but I think he recorded These Walls with one, before he had a line of signature EBMM baritones.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 04:02:31 AM »
I'm quite skeptical. To me guitars tuned that low just don't sound good at all (and this is coming from someone playing a 7 string). A slightly detuned 7 string can work if the guitarist and sound engineer are careful about the sound (Myrath comes to mind, they typically play in A standard AFAIK), but I have yet to hear someone play a low F# or even E that doesn't sound a bit like torture to me. At a certain point low notes should be played on a bass, which is built to sound good at low frequencies.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:47:36 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »
I'm still open to the idea, but it would be interesting if the guys went into the studio with a completely loose vision, without being influenced by currently relevant djent bands. It would be more authentic if it were "DT experiments with an 8 string guitar" instead of "DT pulls from djent contemporaries".

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
The new Adagio album was mostly done with 8-strings, and while there are a few spots where djenty riffing comes in, it didn't do a ton to pull the band in a different direction from what they were previously.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 10:39:19 PM »
I'm quite skeptical. To me guitars tuned that low just don't sound good at all (and this is coming from someone playing a 7 string). A slightly detuned 7 string can work if the guitarist and sound engineer are careful about the sound (Myrath comes to mind, they typically play in A standard AFAIK), but I have yet to hear someone play a low F# or even E that doesn't sound a bit like torture to me. At a certain point low notes should be played on a bass, which is built to sound good at low frequencies.

I agree.  It's just so hard to get any definition the lower you go.

JP tuned his 7 down to A for "Illumination Theory" and it's tough to pick out different notes sometimes.  Whenever I see these 8/9-string people playing, yeah, it sure looks like they're going crazy with low-end cuz their fingers are flapping all over, but it all sounds like the same note.

Like I said, if anyone can pull it off it'll be JP.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGyS55UQMUE

Lots of different ways to play an 8 string.

Though I'm pretty JP is set in his and isn't going to be exploring new playing styles.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
What I don't really get is why JP stopped using his baritone guitars after BC&SL.

He didn't stop.  Unless I'm mistaken, he used a baritone on BMU/BMD.  It's just that he has never used it for that many songs. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
Meh. I want to hear the music first. 8 string or 2 string, doesn't mean anything to me (even as a musician). Maybe it will motivate Petrucci to start trying a few different things, who knows?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 11:05:53 PM »
I don't think he did. I tried learning it a while back, and I think he wrote it on a normally-tuned 7-string. He plays it live on a 7-string as well:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 03:38:44 AM »
That song is fucking great.  :metal

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 07:25:28 AM »
That song is fucking great.  :metal

Yup, it is!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 08:48:19 AM »
What I don't really get is why JP stopped using his baritone guitars after BC&SL.

He didn't stop.  Unless I'm mistaken, he used a baritone on BMU/BMD.  It's just that he has never used it for that many songs.
it hasn't been used since BC&SL, but even then I'm not sure if he has used it on more than 4-5 songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »

it hasn't been used since BC&SL, but even then I'm not sure if he has used it on more than 4-5 songs.

You're right, just counted the songs where I know he used the baritone and there's only 4: These Walls, Panic Attack, ANTR and Wither (and I'm not entirely sure about this one).

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 12:34:19 AM »

You're right, just counted the songs where I know he used the baritone and there's only 4: These Walls, Panic Attack, ANTR and Wither (and I'm not entirely sure about this one).

I'm pretty sure that A Nightmare to Remember is a regular six string in C. The other song he uses a baritone on is Blind Faith.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »

Though I'm pretty JP is set in his and isn't going to be exploring new playing styles.

I would also say, 90% of the stuff he played there should, if at all, be played by JM. I mean, that's exactly the stuff he *used* to play.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure that A Nightmare to Remember is a regular six string in C. The other song he uses a baritone on is Blind Faith.
This is correct.

Would be cool to have a thread (in the musicians forum maybe) that details the tunings  of every DT song for quick reference. I could make one if there was a demand for it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Cable

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »

I would also say, 90% of the stuff he played there should, if at all, be played by JM. I mean, that's exactly the stuff he *used* to play.

Near perfect timing! As just today Rob Scallon released this back and forth with Davie504 (bass player). Both don't really take themselves seriously in their videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-BG_t1RtFI

I agree Rumborak, and more of the same really in this new video. When you have a guitar and bass, part of the point is to cover ground the other cannot. Add in drums, and standard tuned rock bass already competes sonically with the bass drum. 8 strings, and to a degree 7 originally, work well as a solo thing due to the range. But place that in a band, and things get stepped on and duplicated more. So really in rock music the point is range. We can talk all about how it makes X octave scales easier, 7 or 8 string sweeps, or 7 or 8 string chords. Yet scales and sweeps are a fraction of most of rock songs. And place simultaneously sounded 8 strings chords in distortion =  :\.  I fully accept seven strings and five strings in any rock music (own one of each). But lets not act like JP is going to re-invent the wheel here, because he didn't with 7 strings. And he won't with 8, as the 7's have been to expand his range.

Animals as Leaders works well as there are just the three of them, and they purposely forgo bass but cover that range sometimes. But they are an exception IMO.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:43:46 PM by CableX »
---

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »

But imagine the options of JP is handling some of those lows, it gives JM more freedom to explore the rest of the bass and not just stick to adding in the low notes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
But imagine the options of JP is handling some of those lows, it gives JM more freedom to explore the rest of the bass and not just stick to adding in the low notes.

This is exactly what I'd love to see... ermmm Hear.

Or even JM playing stick along with JP's 8.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cable

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »
What has been the overall trend of JM's bass playing though, especially post SFAM? There are token bass parts/breaks, especially with DT12, and better bass mixes recently (ADTOE & DT12). I don't think we can say JM has strayed far away from guitar doubling with any regularity, for better or for worse, for awhile. However, DT12 was a step in the right direction.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:31:03 PM by CableX »
---

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »

This is correct.

Would be cool to have a thread (in the musicians forum maybe) that details the tunings  of every DT song for quick reference. I could make one if there was a demand for it.

Do it!  :hefdaddy

Exactly what I would love to hear!

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »
About a thread with tunings for DT songs, this a very good idea ;)

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 06:36:32 AM »
If the songs are good, I could care less about the number of strings on his guitar.  He shouldn't either.  It seems like such a pandering comment to make.  "I want to use [insert wankery term here] on the next album."  Please just write a kickass album.  Otherwise, I wish his guitar had no strings.  It'd be just as good.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
I'll put something together tomorrow.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dky0ekeuuKA

Saw this earlier looking for 8-string guitar videos :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."