Author Topic: Do you ever go to Subway? Maybe you can help me out.  (Read 8123 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Do you ever go to Subway? Maybe you can help me out.
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
They put the machines in so the cashiers don't have to think. 

Thank God for that.

I love the puzzled look on a cashier's face when your total is $4.77 and you give them a five dollar bill and two pennies.  :lol :lol :lol

Damn Kev that's mean, but still funny.   :rollin

I do that all the time.  If I ever end up with pennies in my pocket as change from somewhere, I'll take the next opportunity to get rid of them, for the simple reason that vending machines don't take pennies.  They are therefore useless.

The best thing isn't even the puzzled look when you give them enough pennies to make it come out to an even quarter, or dime, or even a nickel.  It's the surprised look when they punch in how much you gave them, and the machine tells them the amount of change to give.  I've even been asked more than once "How did you do that?"

Do what?  Perform 3rd grade arithmetic?
On the rare occasion I pay with cash I'll usually leave the pennies on the counter or in the dispenser. My version of take a penny, leave a penny.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2017, 12:02:26 PM »
Ya know, you saying pennies are useless had me thinking, well no they aren't.  You can save them up and go to one of those coin machines at TD bank to get cash.... then remembered.  TD bank stopped using those machines.... because it was short counting coins! 

https://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2017/06/coin-counting_machine_users_could_get_payouts_in_c.html

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
Ya know, you saying pennies are useless had me thinking, well no they aren't.  You can save them up and go to one of those coin machines at TD bank to get cash.... then remembered.  TD bank stopped using those machines.... because it was short counting coins! 

https://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2017/06/coin-counting_machine_users_could_get_payouts_in_c.html

I save all my change and cash it in once per year. I roll it the old fashioned way and bring it to a bank. Usually I get a few hundred bucks for fireworks for the Fourth of July, but this year I'm putting it toward our Pandora - The Land of Avatar vacation in September. I should have about $350 to put toward that trip.

My father has been saving his change since the year I was born (1988). He is just shy of $15k  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »
Wow.  I used to go to the coin machine in TD bank once my jar filled (around $100) and that same jar is filled, but am waiting for a rainy day when I want to cash that out.  I hardly spend cash anymore to accumulate coins so it's really potentially the last time that jar fills up.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
I got back into the habit of carrying cash around with me because a surprising number of places to eat in Hartford only take cash or have a $10 credit card minimum.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »
My last three cars have been paid for in part by accumulated change. Between 33-50%, in fact. However, only silver change. Fuck the brown kind. I throw that in a different jar and dump it in a coinstar from time to time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »
My last three cars have been paid for in part by accumulated change. Between 33-50%, in fact. However, only silver change. Fuck the brown kind. I throw that in a different jar and dump it in a coinstar from time to time.

Before I went to C.C. and then to the App, I bought my DD coffee with change all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »
At the last place I worked, the cafeteria had "penniless" cash registers, always rounding up or down to the nearest nickel.  So I got into the habit of dropping silver into one bowl and pennies into another at the end of the day when I emptied my pockets.  We were in that building nearly 10 years, during which time I filled a huge cup with pennies.

They moved us to a different building a while back, and the cafeteria here is exact change.  I keep a small stash of pennies in my desk at work, and grab a dozen or so pennies from the big cup every couple of days, and always use them at lunchtime.  I'm actually bummed when the total comes out to a multiple of five or 10 because I can't get rid of any pennies.  But I've worked the big cup down about 10%.  It's gonna take a while, but I'm spending those suckers.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2017, 08:11:56 PM »

A bank being unscrupulous?  Next you are going to tell water is wet.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2017, 06:36:04 AM »
Justice!

I'm not going to accept the free sandwich. I requested that he give it to the girl that deals with me everyday. She does a good job, and I can't envision a scenario where I only get a 6" sandwich.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2017, 06:37:30 AM »
Not going to take the 6 free inches Brian? :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »
Free 6 inch?  That sounds lame honestly.  At least make it a footlong.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
Seriously.  You've exposed an ongoing issue where he's ripping people off, whether intentional or not, and he offers you half a sandwich?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
Eh, if he's just some random franchisee then he's actually going above and beyond by offering anything. Chino didn't say if it was the franchisee of the location in question, though. In any case, I agree with him. The organization of such a thing would be too complex and involve too many people to keep up.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
Eh, if he's just some random franchisee then he's actually going above and beyond by offering anything. Chino didn't say if it was the franchisee of the location in question, though. In any case, I agree with him. The organization of such a thing would be too complex and involve too many people to keep up.

He said he was a small business owner. I think he might own the franchise.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »

Sure, but Chino just saved the guy a potential lawsuit by pointing out the penny pinching scheme (intentional or not) in a nice manner.  A 6 inch sub at value of under $5 seems like a slap in the face to me.  If I had interest in pursuing anything legal, that would only push me further to do it. 

Also, as someone pointed out with register counting, someone should know this is happening, assuming it is beyond the one time Chino goes daily.  I'm sure a cashier wouldn't care about a penny or two over the count, but that, in theory, should add up to something someone should of noticed.  Once again, assuming this is more than just a Chino thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
Some businesses actually conduct penniless transactions, and post it on the door. More should do this. That said, businesses should pull their collective heads out of their asses and just price things so that it's no longer necessary. If I ever open a business every item will be priced so that, including sales tax, the final price will end on a quarter. I've always been of the opinion that the fault lies with idiot consumers. People that'll drive one mile further to save 1˘ on a gallon of milk. "but it's only $2.49 across the street. We'll just go there when we leave."

What if you open a butcher shop and stuff gets weighed out to three decimal places?
In the case of deli meats everybody gets what they want to a quarter pound. Decent people will usually do this anyway. Hell, if they can cut a slice for you to nosh on while they work, they can round total down in your favor. (Shitty places will always throw extra meat on and ask if that's alright. I've actually had some asshole nail his estimate to .4978, make one more slice, throw it on jacking it up to .57 and ask it it was OK. NO ASSHOLE!) Since butchers tend to cut their own roasts and steaks, they can cut them very close to a whole number weight and charge from there. You then have a bin of 6, 9, 12, and 15 dollar chuck roasts.

Or, better still, I just put a sign on the door that says "we round to the nearest quarter in your favor. If this is too confusing for you please shop at Krogers."

I LOVE when I order a half pound of something and it comes to 0.55 or some shit.  I feel like it's Christmas come early (even though I know in my head I'm paying for it)!

As for the other stuff, those places aren't building up their pricing from the ground up like a manufacturer would.   You can't tell me that EVERY butcher's overhead is such that the meat ALWAYS comes out to $x.99 a pound.   They don't need to weigh it that exactly, and even if they have to weigh it that close (for inventory, maybe) then the price can be a sliding scale rounded. 

Most places bigger than a mom and pop don't "build" pricing anyway; it's a market driven price, meaning, there is no connection between the price charged and the cost of the goods sold.  They're not charging $x.99 per pound because it's what they need to charge to make overhead; they charge that because that's what the market will bear.  That's not the case with every product (commodities, for example) but it is with enough to make el Barto's plan work. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
I would put together a log (along with your video evidence) of every date, time, etc., it happens. Then after you have a couple weeks worth of entries, ask to speak to the manager. If they appear to dismiss it, turn your phone on, record the encounter, and press the issue, by pointing out how it is short changing you and you plan to call the owner (if it is a franchise) or corporate.

Because this is fraud, even if it is just a few cents. It adds up, and for sure you aren't the only one it is happening to. I'd be irate.

I actually wrote Subway this morning and sent them the video. Jared isn't using his lifetime of sandwiches card anymore. Maybe they'll give it to me.

If this thread suddenly disappears or goes dark then we know Subway got to Chino and he is either dead or alive and well, but with free subway for life and never to speak of this issue again.

No, we'll read about him in the papers.  They'll frame him like they framed Jared.   Plant photos on his computer.   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
No--at least, not in the way I think you are asking.  If it is illegal in CT, for example, the store owner can forward Chino's video to the local PD, who then sends it to the D.A., who then tells the local PD to stop by Chino's house and pick him up if they want to charge him.

It's no different than if someone sees you commit any other crime and reports it.

This.   When I was going through my divorce I wanted SO BADLY to record my ex on the phone, and I couldn't.   My thought was, I KNOW it would be inadmissible, but I could use it as negotiation leverage.  I was advised in no uncertain terms to fantasize about other ways of getting one over on her.   At one point, my attorney said (nicely) "You're going to want to stop talking about that idea." 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
Racist.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »
I got back into the habit of carrying cash around with me because a surprising number of places to eat in Hartford only take cash or have a $10 credit card minimum.

I did that in Philly, and you'd be surprised at how much LESS you spend when you can't just "whip out the card" and pay that way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »
Racist.

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2017, 11:01:38 PM »
I went to Subway yesterday and had this thread in mind while paying. I didn't get shortchanged by the change dispenser at all. Strange.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2017, 05:16:47 AM »
I never use cash anymore.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2017, 06:29:09 AM »
I never have cash anymore.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:13 AM »
So I went to Wawa this morning.  Typically I just get gas on my way to work, but was pretty hungry and decided to go inside for a breakfast sandwich and coffee.  They use similar (or maybe the same) type of coin return at the register as Subway.... well I was shorted 1 penny  :lol  I was about to pay credit until I realized I could do this test and paid attention to the change and my receipt.  Yup should have gotten 36 cents but only got 35. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »
Is it possible that they just run out of pennies all the time? Thanks to our idiocy there will almost always be multiple pennies dispensed every transaction. Unlike, say, nickles or dimes. And a store like Subway is going through a helluva lot of transactions an hour. You'd think the thing would refuse to operate if it were short some coin, but you never know.
E.F. Benson