Author Topic: Do you ever go to Subway? Maybe you can help me out.  (Read 8179 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Do you ever go to Subway? Maybe you can help me out.
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
I go to subway for lunch a few times per week and have gotten into the habit of paying with cash lately rather than card. Every day my order comes to $9.66 and I hand the cashier a $10 bill. They registers have the automatic change dispensers so the cashiers don't have to do math. Well, last week, three days in a row, I was shorted between $0.01 and $0.03. I went to another subway in the city on Friday and was shorted $0.02. Yesterday at a restop 100 miles away, I was shorted $0.01. No more than ten minutes ago, I was shorted $0.03 again.

I'm now 6 for 6 in being shorted change since noticing this. Maybe I'm just being a cheap bastard here, but it really pisses me off. I really don't give a damn about a couple pennies, but is this something that is happening everywhere? Could Subway be doing this to millions of people per week? I need answers. If you go to subway, pay with cash, count your change, and post your finding here.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you ever go to Subway? Maybe you can help me out.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
Interesting.  Yea most people aren't going to notice a penny missing, but that ends up over transactions after transaction between stores. 

I used to love subway, but I think I ate too much of it and almost never eat it anymore.  Maybe I'll have to go to one by me just to test this out. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
Setting aside the notion that anything you get from Subway could possibly be worth $10, why not just call them out on it? If it's that consistent count your change right in front of them and say the machine scammed you. Drag the manager out and have him crack it open to give you your 1 cent. Then tell the people behind you to count their change. Do it every time you're in there until they get sick of it.

Out of curiosity, is there sales tax involved? Any place that doesn't have to deal with sales tax that prices things in dumb amounts infuriates me. There's no need to have to hand out any change smaller than a quarter unless you're just trying to be a dick.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
I don't want to be that guy who holds up a line of 20 people because I was shorted a penny. Simple as that. I believe sales tax is included.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »
I don't want to be that guy who holds up a line of 20 people because I was shorted a penny. Simple as that. I believe sales tax is included.

I would call them out. Don't be shy about it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
Since I always throw my coins in the tip jar when I pay with cash, I never noticed it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »
Since I always throw my coins in the tip jar when I pay with cash, I never noticed it.

So you're tipping them for ripping you off? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
I'd call them out on it eventually, maybe to corporate but not to the clerk. My local subway just hands out it's change.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
Subway is nasty. I am not sure the chicken is even real chicken.  Gross.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 06:10:26 PM »
I wouldn't have noticed that in a million years Chino  :lol
It could be an Office Space kinda ploy from some laid-off Subway workers  ;D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 06:18:57 PM »
Fuck that man, two words bro... Class action...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »

So you're tipping them for ripping you off? ;D

It's not so much tipping them as much as it's "I don't want to carry this change in my pocket so you take it".
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
Number of Subways in the US- 26744
Average 400 subs a day (found a few stats, this number is fairly in the middle)
Subways are open almost every day of the year I think, except maybe Xmas, Thanksgiving, NYE, and the 4th
We'll just go with 1 cent every other sandwich...

26744*200*361*.01=$18,744,288

Not too shabby a skim...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »
And it could be as much as three times that.  I'll take it if they don't want it.

I don't carry any change at all, but I do count it.

I'll ask my daughter; she eats there a fair amount.  Though I don't think she's paying cash.

As for the food, the recent Italian special they've been offering is the bomb diddly.  Not like going to a real Italian deli, but still. 

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
Number of Subways in the US- 26744
Average 400 subs a day (found a few stats, this number is fairly in the middle)
Subways are open almost every day of the year I think, except maybe Xmas, Thanksgiving, NYE, and the 4th
We'll just go with 1 cent every other sandwich...

26744*200*361*.01=$18,744,288

Not too shabby a skim...

In the event that this is actually a thing at a large scale, it's going to be really interesting when the accounting auditors are trying to figure out, for the yearly audit, why Subway has an extra $18 million in revenue than they should have and it's going to be interesting when Subway explains that to the shareholder's meeting.

Edit: Oh wait, I just looked it up.  Subway is not a publicly traded company.  Then, they don't have to explain anything and can possibly get away with it.  Those dastards.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
It's interesting, because if this is actually happening all the time, the balance of the drawer is going to end up being wrong every single day (possibly multiple times per day, depending on how they do it at Subway), and that has to be acknowledged by some form of management each and every time. Sounds annoying as hell for the people working there.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »
You sure you're counting correctly?

You know what? I'll go to subway tomorrow and try this out and see what happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:09 PM »
I mean, this happened with AT&T and I had listened to my dad bitch about random scams that were a dollar here and there and then the huge class action happened...low and behold, he got a check and so did a fucking shitload of other people and AT&T paid out the ass. Still a drop in the bucket for them but hey, I suppose it's principal (and my dad's extra $25 dollars).

So hey, you go and show them what's what, Chino! Get dat money. Justice! Sandwiches! Greed! THE AMERICAN DREAM.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 06:29:47 AM »
You sure you're counting correctly?

Yes

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 08:19:25 AM »
Seems to me you'd only have a couple of ways to do it. If you've got coin dispensers then you could probably have it short everybody 1 penny. If you don't, then you have to tell all 133,720 current cashiers to ring 1 cent short per transaction. We'd have heard about it by now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
Seems to me you'd only have a couple of ways to do it. If you've got coin dispensers then you could probably have it short everybody 1 penny. If you don't, then you have to tell all 133,720 current cashiers to ring 1 cent short per transaction. We'd have heard about it by now.

It could also be a mechanical element in the coin dispensing machine itself. I would rule cashiers shorting the transactions out. My bill is exactly the same every day ($9.66) and it's the change that varies. The amount of change due on the receipt I get does not align with what the dispenser gives me.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 08:24:55 AM »
Typically when you're working on a POS system you input the amount that was handed to you. If Chino handed her a ten and his total was 9.66, she could have pressed that he gave her 9.97, and he'd only get 31 cents back.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
Typically when you're working on a POS system you input the amount that was handed to you. If Chino handed her a ten and his total was 9.66, she could have pressed that he gave her 9.97, and he'd only get 31 cents back.

9.69* I think you mean, but doesn't that also show up on your check?  Cash tendered?  Maybe not.  I hardly carry or use cash anymore. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »
Around here a chain called Wawa is immensely popular and they use the automatic change machines. I stop for breakfast basically every day, and will use many other locations at times. I take note of my change and it has never been incorrect.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
Side note but I love wawa, one of the things I miss from Florida.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
There's two wawa's near my house.  Love them, but I really love Sheetz which is in PA. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »
Status report: I tried paying with a $20 bill instead of a $10 bill today. The bill selection made no difference and I was shorted $0.02. I got undercover video evidence and will upload to Youtube once I'm home tonight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Is there by any chance a cone near this subway?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
Oh no!  Subway is skimming customers!  What on Earth are we going to do?

Subway is nasty. I am not sure the chicken is even real chicken.  Gross.

Exactly!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
Status report: I tried paying with a $20 bill instead of a $10 bill today. The bill selection made no difference and I was shorted $0.02. I got undercover video evidence and will upload to Youtube once I'm home tonight.

:omg:

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Fucking shoot us a warning before dropping gold like that bro...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
Just tried it.

Cashier manually gave me change. Didn't use that machine. No problems.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »
I got shorted a quarter 3 times in a row by a live cashier a few years ago. Oh the injustice!!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
They put the machines in so the cashiers don't have to think.  But machines aren't perfect either.  What are we gonna do now?  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White