Author Topic: SNL  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Harmony

SNL
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:59:23 AM »
I didn't find a solo thread (other than one discussing the 40th anniversary) so forgive me if this is a duplicate thread.  But for those who are fans of any season of this iconic show, there is a pretty damn fine podcast available called Fly On the Wall, hosted by Dana Carvey and David Spade that is 100% devoted to the show and interviews of various cast members.  I'm listening to it while I'm stuck in traffic these days and there have been moments where I'm literally laughing so hard the tears are streaming down my face.

I think everyone could use a good laugh these days.  So if you are any kind of fan - check it out.

We are a few seasons away from SNL turning 50.  Isn't that the most amazing thing?  I'm not much of a fan of the current line up, but I am still damn impressed by the show.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: SNL
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 12:06:21 PM »
Thank you for this.  I'm still a fan and I still watch every episode (albeit on delay).  I can do without the political humor - it seems more and more meanspirited, and more and more exclusive - but when they are on, they can be as funny as they ever were. Thankfully, if you skip the cold-open, it's usually a-political from then on.

I recommend the Billie Eilish episode from this season; it was really funny.  I find myself laughing out loud at Colin Jost and Michael Che.   They are in my opinion the funniest news anchors the show has ever had.   A real highlight is when they write jokes for the other and they have to read it for the first time on air.  Hilarious.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 01:35:41 PM »
I watch infrequently, but I think the current cast and the cast for at least the last decade are as good as at any point in the show's run.  Kate McKinnon, Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant are absolute gold.  Bill Hader is no longer around, but he was amazing (especially when he portrayed a game show host).  Keenan Thompson is a legend.  Colin Jost, Michael Che, Jason Sudekis....  I could go on and on.

The "Twin Bed" sketch, which is probably about 10 years old at this point, is right up there with Eddie Murphy's "Kill the White People" sketch as the best of all time.

A real highlight is when they write jokes for the other and they have to read it for the first time on air.  Hilarious.

It really is, and it's a great way to get jokes on the air that they otherwise could NEVER get away with.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 01:41:24 PM »
I watch it every week (usually Sunday night), and I feel like this current cast is one of the better groups they've had in years (maybe even decades).

Obviously, skits can be hit or miss, but overall, I keep watching because I keep laughing.

Agree with Stadler on the political humor, but that's the lowest hanging fruit they can find and I suspect it's not going anywhere.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
I think their political humor CAN be good if it's not lazy, but it's pretty lazy for the last few years, with some exceptions. I don't mind, but I usually get bored when their political cold opens are just cramming as many cast members doing impersonations as possible, usually each having a line or two.

I do like the current cast, but I think it's too big. They have a HUGE cast right now, and it feels like half of them don't get used much at all in any given episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 01:55:38 PM »
The other thing is, the seasons seem to ping pong between each week having a series of recurring sketches versus each week being completely unique stand alone sketches.  We're in a "unique phase" right now; I'm struggling to recall any sort of recurring sketch this past season or two. 

I used to LOVE the one where the three people would be abducted by aliens, and Kate McKinnon's experience would be radically different than the other two.  I loved those.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 02:06:50 PM »
My era was like 90 to 95, so basically

Dana Carvey
Chris Farley.
Phil Hartman.
Mike Myers
Kevin Nealon.
Chris Rock.
Rob Schneider.

Many fond memories of watching it

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 02:53:25 PM »
The current cast is very hit and miss, and I agree about the political humor being rather poor, although the new guy doing Trump, James Austin Johnson, is really funny.

I was all in during my high school years so the late 80’s early 90’’s cast is legendary to me. I also think the Will Ferrell era  was pretty solid as well.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 03:29:12 PM »
The current cast is very hit and miss, and I agree about the political humor being rather poor, although the new guy doing Trump, James Austin Johnson, is really funny.

I was all in during my high school years so the late 80’s early 90’’s cast is legendary to me. I also think the Will Ferrell era  was pretty solid as well.

James Austin Johnson was the latest episode of Fly On the Wall and though I'm not familiar with his SNL Trump performances I must say his vocal intonations are uncanny.  I was just listening to this episode today and I was floored.

I guess I should give the current line up a better chance.  I tried watching a few and other than Weekend Update, I really wasn't laughing much.  I'm also at the point where 9 times out of 10 I have no idea who the musical guest is.  I do love Billie Eilish so will watch for that one particularly.

And other than the original not ready for prime time players, the era Phoenix87x mentions is also my favorite.  Jan Hooks about killed me with laughter.  And I miss Phil Hartman so much! 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 04:06:45 PM »
My era was like 90 to 95, so basically

Dana Carvey
Chris Farley.
Phil Hartman.
Mike Myers
Kevin Nealon.
Chris Rock.
Rob Schneider.

Many fond memories of watching it

That's my favorite era also.  Phil Hartman was a freakin' genius.  Throw in Dennis Miller, Jan Hooks (I had a thing for her) and Nora Dunn (along with early Adam Sandler).  It was 75-80% hit in those years.  That was also a time in my life where I was willing to stay up and watch something from 11:30 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 06:58:06 AM »

James Austin Johnson was the latest episode of Fly On the Wall and though I'm not familiar with his SNL Trump performances I must say his vocal intonations are uncanny.  I was just listening to this episode today and I was floored.

I'm a HUGE Alec Baldwin fan, but I have to say that his Trump is one of the three most overrated things ever on this show.  It's just one note caricature.  But Johnson has this amazing way of capturing the sort of disjointed train of thought of the real Trump.   There was one where they had the topics on the right side (like they do on ESPN) and he went down the list connecting them in a way that was both lunatic and made a sort of odd sense... just like the real Trump.  It was hilarious.  One of the best Presidential impressions I've heard.

Unrelated (I just don't want to make a second post)...
I'm not really an "era" guy.  I like things about all eras, and there are things I don't care for in all eras.  I still think Dan Ackroyd is one of the best players ever on the show.  I'm a big fan of those utility type players...  Ackroyd, Piscopo, Hartman, Hammond, Mikey Day...   I'm a fan of impressions, so I LOVE Melissa Villasenor in the current cast.  Always liked Jay Pharoah.  Of the non-impression folks, Farley is legend.  Mike Myers is either gold or tin; I LOVE the stuff like Sprockets, early Wayne's World (I remember the first skit and talking with my roommates in college saying "What did we just watch???"), but can take or leave stuff like Coffee Tawk.  Belushi was the same way; gold or tin.   

Things have a way of getting overplayed for me; things like Fernando ("You... look... MARVELOUS!") get stale for me really quickly.  I also get tired very quickly when the humor is... condescending; I get Tina Fey is a real talent, but she always rubbed me as feeling "superior" in her time at SNL.  Seth Meyers is the same way; I don't find him funny at all.  Contrast him with Norm MacDonald, who is hilarious, ESPECIALLY when the jokes don't land.  At first, I thought Colin Jost was in that Fey camp, but that's not true; he and Che are too self-deprecating for that.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 08:43:29 AM »
Stadler you should definitely check out the James Austin Johnson interview.  It is different in that the podcast episode was done with a live audience and none of the other ones I've heard were like that.

But he and Dana Carvey go into a deep dive discussing the Trump vocal meter and rhythmic style and you could tell Dana was in awe of James' abilities.  If nobody told me what I was listening to, I would've bet $1000 that Trump was there on stage.  He impressed me very much.

I did watch a recent episode where JAJ did Biden and was less impressed.  Not saying it was bad but it was almost like watching him in make up took away from the vocal impression.  So I'm still on the fence about his Biden.

Online Adami

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 08:46:29 AM »
Yea, Jame's Trump is something amazing. It's not just a big middle finger to Trump the way Baldwin's was and is the perfect caricature without simply being an angry insult. His Biden....not so much. Has anyone done a good Biden? I like Sedakis' but he's not a main cast member. Definitely didn't like Jim Carrey's, sadly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 08:47:29 AM »
Baldwin as Trump was good at first, but they overplayed that hand. It got old kind of quick, IMO. They were fishing really hard, and it eventually seemed more desperate than anything. Some of their political pieces are hilarious though.

I laughed so hard at this bit:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 09:05:42 AM »
They will have to work AWFULLY hard to top this presidential skit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »
They will have to work AWFULLY hard to top this presidential skit:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

Dana Carvey's Jimmy Stewart is beautiful.

Online Adami

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »
I think they’ve usually done a good job with presidents. Beyond Reagan, Hartman’s Clinton, Carver’s Bush, Ferrells Bush Jr, and now Trump have all been great. I don’t think they ever did Obama well because there just wasn’t a ton there. Though The Rock Obama was fantastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022, 10:09:06 AM »
I think they’ve usually done a good job with presidents. Beyond Reagan, Hartman’s Clinton, Carver’s Bush, Ferrells Bush Jr, and now Trump have all been great. I don’t think they ever did Obama well because there just wasn’t a ton there. Though The Rock Obama was fantastic.

Hammond's Clinton.  Remember, he (Clinton) was the "new Kennedy".  He was a young gun, and an upstart of sorts when he got into office, and I think Hammond captured that brilliantly. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 10:15:11 AM by Stadler »

Online Adami

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »

Hammond's Clinton.  Remember, he was the "new Kennedy".  He was a young gun, and an upstart of sorts when he got into office, and I think Hammond captured that brilliantly.

You’re right! Hartman also did a good Clinton as well. But yea, Hammond nailed a bunch of them honestly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2022, 12:20:44 PM »

Dana Carvey's Jimmy Stewart is beautiful.

"Jimmy!  Don't make me have to kill you."

"You've changed, Dutch.  You've really changed."

:lol :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2022, 03:14:03 PM »

Phil Hartman was a national treasure.  Did you catch the "mekka lekka high mekka hiney hoe" part of the Reagan skit?  That bit was taken directly from PeeWee Herman's original show at The Roxy in 1981.  Hartman played Captain Karl.  I know it seems silly but damn that show made me laugh and still does.  This version was not for kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsErozi0nf4

As for Carvey, he said his Jimmy Stewart was his first celebrity impression when he was around 16 and discovering he could make people laugh and it is always his "go-to" bit if the audience is not so responsive to his comedy.  In one of his HBO specials he does Jimmy Stewart having sex.  You can imagine...  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2022, 10:40:50 PM »
Dana Carvey
Chris Farley.
Phil Hartman.
Mike Myers
Kevin Nealon.
Chris Rock.
Rob Schneider.

This represents the only time I ever watched SNL.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2022, 11:56:57 AM »
Phil Hartman was a national treasure.  Did you catch the "mekka lekka high mekka hiney hoe" part of the Reagan skit?  That bit was taken directly from PeeWee Herman's original show at The Roxy in 1981.  Hartman played Captain Karl.  I know it seems silly but damn that show made me laugh and still does.  This version was not for kids.

While I did hear Phil's pig-Arabic, it didn't mean anything to me.  You'd have to send me some substantial $$$ to get me to watch anything with Pee Wee Herman.   :)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2022, 12:18:44 PM »

While I did hear Phil's pig-Arabic, it didn't mean anything to me.  You'd have to send me some substantial $$$ to get me to watch anything with Pee Wee Herman.   :)

Well, most Phil Hartman fans know he and Paul Ruebens worked together for many years as part of The Groundlings comedy troup.  Hartman actually wrote PeeWee's Big Adventure.  The Groundlings, including his work with Ruebens, helped launch his SNL career.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 03:19:05 PM »
Huh I didn't know any of that!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 10:04:13 AM »
I hate Kate McKinnon.

Not cuz she sucks or she's a bad person but cuz she's in every_damn_skit and I'm sick of seeing her.  It's too damn much.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2022, 03:13:07 PM »
I hate Kate McKinnon.

Not cuz she sucks or she's a bad person but cuz she's in every_damn_skit and I'm sick of seeing her.  It's too damn much.

Interesting flex.  *pulls out cane and puts in hearing aid and drapes a crocheted blanket over my lap* Back in the 80s, I thought if I heard Phil Collins on the radio singing Sussudio one more time I was going to gouge out my eardrums.  I mean that guy was on the radio EVERY 10 minutes it was too damn much!  But then I stopped and thought about how that was the choice of radio station based on what the public wanted (supposedly) and it wasn't Phil's fault at all.  So hating on Phil would've just been silly.  *shrug*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:02:41 PM by Harmony »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 09:38:49 AM »
But like Phil, as great as he is (he's on my Mt. Rushmore of drummers) when you oversaturate the market you run the risk of having lesser material on the street.  Taste is taste, but I imagine there's an argument as to why "Sussudio" the song is not, now, at the level of his more enduring hits.

I just watched the Ariana DeBose episode, and she was in a number of skits, including the host segment - singing show tunes, not really performing comedy - and it briefly flashed through my mind that there was clearly some collaboration between Kate and Adriane, and it then follows that it is a debatable point that perhaps some of those skits didn't get on because of their quality, but because of the context.